• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Yoschi

dLMN8R said:
I totally destroyed this game from year 15 and on...amazing game but it got wayyyyy too easy toward the end of it. 20-30+ million sellers every single time with little to no effort.

I was also amused that I created a console that sold about 18 million units....then I created a game that sold about 25 million copies for that console :lol
You will have loads of disappointed kids.

BowieZ

Banned
New high score of 170 million copies sold (despite the console selling only about 55 million units). Anyone else up in that territory? :D

Jtrizzy

So how many years does one career last? Im not doing that well, even though I played for hours yesterday. I guess I've been doing too much contract work and not enought games, as im having trouble keeping up w liscence costs. By the time I can afford it then make a game, the playstation gets taken off the market, so no sequel.

kiryogi

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
So how many years does one career last? Im not doing that well, even though I played for hours yesterday. I guess I've been doing too much contract work and not enought games, as im having trouble keeping up w liscence costs. By the time I can afford it then make a game, the playstation gets taken off the market, so no sequel.

As long as you want. The supposed end game is 20 years, as that's when the game stop keeping track for LTD.

So to list off my unoriginality and how lame my company is. Well, it's more like a niche company :lol I was develping for the Genesis, PCengine, and Gameboy for the longest time with titles that barely break 100-200k. It was only when I finally acquired Playstation and SNES licenses that I started to hit near 1mil. Tho my highest score so far is a 29/40 and that was for my horror/rpg Fatal Light. :lol

So my lame naming attempts so far when I finally decided to name them:

Chronos Fantasy/RPG PSX (1,033,865 sold)
Kira Kira! Sim RPG/Cosplay Gameboy (796,722 sold)
Ogre Dawn Sim RPG/Ogre Gameboy (318,388 sold)
Gaiden Action/Ninja Gameboy (569,633 sold)
Ambition Simulation/Historical Gameboy (416,293 sold)
Fit Life Life/Fitness PC (101,876 sold)
Memories Simluation/Romance PSX (886,587 sold)
Fatal Light RPG/Horror PSX (1,361,621 sold) 29/40 My best product yet
Groove on Music/Dance PSX (1,038,062 sold)
White Racing/Snowboarding PSX (906,758 sold)

Niche company indeed! But man this is so addicting...

kiryogi

Banned
So I've been discussing with my friend about how niche my company is. I'm not sure if I'm Working Designs or Atlus :lol

Tokubetsu

kiryogi said:
So I've been discussing with my friend about how niche my company is. I'm not sure if I'm Working Designs or Atlus :lol

How are your ratings coming across? I can't seem to get a 30+ rating any sooner than year 13/15

Jtrizzy

Man. I literally played this for 5 hours last night after buying it.

I thought you had to win goty and go to the hall of fame in the first 20 years? Glad to hear that, as im almost at 20 and I can't afford a ps2 liscence. I wasn't always playing very effectively or efficiently it appears.

I don't totally get the gambling thing where you use the xp, when a team member asks. Instead or risking failure, why not just say no and use the 30 xp item boost? Do they only ask you for this if they aren't going to make a deadline?

Tokubetsu

Jtrizzy said:
Man. I literally played this for 5 hours last night after buying it.

I thought you had to win goty and go to the hall of fame in the first 20 years? Glad to hear that, as im almost at 20 and I can't afford a ps2 liscence. I wasn't always playing very effectively or efficiently it appears.

I don't totally get the gambling thing where you use the xp, when a team member asks. Instead or risking failure, why not just say no and use the 30 xp item boost? Do they only ask you for this if they aren't going to make a deadline?

No, they ask for it randomly and reward is potentially higher than what you'd get from an item iirc. Especially if you've been training them.

Jtrizzy

I think I devoted too much time to contract work, so i'm way behing the curve when it comes to being able to pay for liscences. I might just start a new game evem though im already at year 20.

Tokubetsu

Jtrizzy said:
I think I devoted too much time to contract work, so i'm way behing the curve when it comes to being able to pay for liscences. I might just start a new game evem though im already at year 20.

Do as much contract work as you can before you make your first game. You want capital and some change. After that, I pretty much do two ish months of contract work inbetween my games. Always go for the highest paying that your team is capable of pulling off.

Jtrizzy

Oh that reminds me, how do you tell whether your team is capable of a certain job? I've failed a few, I'm sure that causes lower paying jobs too...

Cohsae

It's amazing how quickly this game drove me to Bobby Kotick levels of sequelitis and soulless obvious games like War/Shooters or whatever. I started out thinking I would be Mr. niche, but then I couldn't sell enough to pay my employees and now I'm cranking out blockbusters and replacing faithful employees like there's no tomorrow. On the plus side they're all getting 9s from Fakemitsu and I'm sleeping on beds of money.

My records as of Y12 M3 W1:
3,174 fans.
Some of my releases:
1/ Monkey Island - Adventure/Pirate - PC Game - 15/40 - 36,763 units
3/ Torchlight - Action/Dungeon - PC Game - 15/40 - 95,080 units
6/ Pirates! - Simulation/Pirate - Exodus - 21/40 - 187,221 units
8/ Diablo - Action/Dungeon - Game Kid - 20/40 - 344,251 units
13/ DOOM - Shooter/Monster - NEONGEON - 26/40 - 950,232 units
14/ Tactics Ogre - RPG/Ogre - Super IES - 24/40 - 1,171,303 units
20/ Modern Warfare - Action RPG/War - Super IES - 34/40 - 2,937,880 units
21/ Devil May Cry - Action/Monster - Super IES - 35/40 - 3,909,975 units
25/ Modern Warfare 2 - Action RPG/War - PlayStatus - 35/40 - 6,875,846
28/ Red Dead - Adventure/Cowboy - Game-Box - 35/40 - 6,413,689 units
29/ Braid 2 - Action/Time Travel - Game-Box - 36/40 - 12,887,725 units

Got the Runner up 3 times but still no grand prize.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Cohsae said:
It's amazing how quickly this game drove me to Bobby Kotick levels of sequelitis and soulless obvious games like War/Shooters or whatever. I started out thinking I would be Mr. niche, but then I couldn't sell enough to pay my employees and now I'm cranking out blockbusters and replacing faithful employees like there's no tomorrow. On the plus side they're all getting 9s from Fakemitsu and I'm sleeping on beds of money.

My records as of Y12 M3 W1:
3,174 fans.
Some of my releases:
1/ Monkey Island - Adventure/Pirate - PC Game - 15/40 - 36,763 units
3/ Torchlight - Action/Dungeon - PC Game - 15/40 - 95,080 units
6/ Pirates! - Simulation/Pirate - Exodus - 21/40 - 187,221 units
8/ Diablo - Action/Dungeon - Game Kid - 20/40 - 344,251 units
13/ DOOM - Shooter/Monster - NEONGEON - 26/40 - 950,232 units
14/ Tactics Ogre - RPG/Ogre - Super IES - 24/40 - 1,171,303 units
20/ Modern Warfare - Action RPG/War - Super IES - 34/40 - 2,937,880 units
21/ Devil May Cry - Action/Monster - Super IES - 35/40 - 3,909,975 units
25/ Modern Warfare 2 - Action RPG/War - PlayStatus - 35/40 - 6,875,846
28/ Red Dead - Adventure/Cowboy - Game-Box - 35/40 - 6,413,689 units
29/ Braid 2 - Action/Time Travel - Game-Box - 36/40 - 12,887,725 units

Got the Runner up 3 times but still no grand prize.

I like the added irony of your unoriginality in that you didn't come up with your own names.

neptunes

Just realized that it's REALLY hard to get out of debt when you have highly paid staff members. I tried to turn a Hacker into a hardware engineer (after going through all the job changes) and he was earning 2 million a year. :lol

This game is really good. I bought it within minutes of hearing about it and seeing one pic for the first time from this thread. I've never made such an impulse buy like that before and I've been playing it all day whenever I can get a chance. A great little surprise today. Thanks Gaf.

My games so far have been:

Puzzle Bot - Robot Puzzle - PC - 25,298

Puzzle Bot 2 - Robot Puzzle - PC - 42,897

Fantasy Legend - Fantasy Puzzle - PC - 50,239

Fantasy Quest - Fantasy Adventure - PC - 85,767

Ninja Blood - Ninja Action - Micro SX - 207,145

Cohsae

GODDAMMIT Tagamotchi just won GOTY, which it also won like 10 years ago. Mole Position did the same thing.
It's all politics I tell ya.

Jtrizzy

Man I played another round last night and it was so much more fun. So I guess the creativity comes from programmers?

Anyway, I won two GOTY awards and released a console that is beating the wii and ps2 before the 20 year mark. Now im just cashing in on first party games, waiting to make a new console. Although im still in the second office 8 think. I thought you moved twice?

Kozak

Banned
neptunes said:
Just realized that it's REALLY hard to get out of debt when you have highly paid staff members. I tried to turn a Hacker into a hardware engineer (after going through all the job changes) and he was earning 2 million a year. :lol

why the hell would you ruin a hacker like that??

Vlodril

I must be doing something wrong because i cant find the game in the market. I search for it by title but i get nothing.

this game is awesome. I made 3 fantasy rpg 'Final Quest' game for Gameboy only to have so-so sales. then I find big success with high school sim rpg 'Persona'. with that money, I get license for Snes and make Final Quest 4, it's the biggest hit I had financially, so I churn out a new fantasy rpg named Dragon Tales and focus on cuteness instead of realism I had for Final Quest. it's even better success than Final Quest 4.

I thought I got the gold mine, just alternate between these 2 franchise and I'd be set, but then Final Quest 5 bomb due to development trouble, and fans are leaving because I make too many similar games.:lol

Vlodril

App Brain is your friend

Nothing. I tried to getting to the game from the page going direct to market it says there is no such game. I got the app installed it added the game to it and told it to install. Same thing.

do you live in country that support paid app store? I know I have to use market enabler before I can see paid apps on android market.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
TeethMummy said:
I hate the 14 character limit on game titles.

THANK YOU!!! my only complain in this otherwise awesomely addictive game

my PC-only point and click animal based adventure game was supposed to be called

R. Kelly presents... "Space Bear vs. The Intergalactic Poacher Patrol"

xecollons

Neo Member
I'm sure that this has been posted before, but does somebody know about any fan translations of GameDev2 for PC?

Have downloaded it from devs web page, but it's all in japanese, of course :D

Totakeke

So after 13 years, I have 100+ million which is more money than I can spend. I guess at this point the game is pretty... pointless?

ferr

xecollons said:
I'm sure that this has been posted before, but does somebody know about any fan translations of GameDev2 for PC?

Have downloaded it from devs web page, but it's all in japanese, of course :D

Link to this?

And speaking of this game, is there anything else on iOS like this? I played this to death..

Coverly

I.Love.This.Game!

Bought this on Saturday and stayed up till 4am playing it. It's now Monday, and I think I have over 20 hrs clocked in.

My first company was a complete failure: scouted too soon, trained too soon, stayed on PC, never had enough money.

My second company is rolling:
Year 12 and 134 million strong.
Currently exclusive to the game's equivalent of the playstation
Biggest game sold is an Online RPG at over 9.5m units.
Average game we make sells for 5m+
Advertising budget is like 15m a year.
Biggest surprise combination: Motion Romance. Sells like hotcakes.

I still don't have an engineer and I have a lot of questions, but I'm going to hold off until I read most of this thread at lunch. Anyways, love this game.

FiRez

This game needs a lite version in Android, I would haven't bought it if I haven't tried first in the Ipod of my friend, very charming and addictive

parasight

Finally caved at 99 cents, and this damn game has glued my iPhone to my hand. Everytime I try to put it down, I tell myself "One more damn game, I'll show those reviewers!" Brilliant.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
New sales record for me: 82,232,107 units of my Martial Arts Action game 'Tekken3'. :)

Ranger X

Any chances for an english PC version or something? Maybe DS?

I'd really like to play this (I tried it on a friend's Iphone and it's fantastic) but there's no fucking way I am buying a cellphone for this.

Top Bottom