• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME dropping the ball again? (Fallout 4/UK)

There aren't any other firms in the UK.

You have online retailers, some entertainment chains and supermarkets, but not other video games shops where preorders can be focused and pushed.

There really aren't any retail chains that are focussed on videogames in Germany except for Gamestop who has a very very small presence, and we're doing fine. All this exclusive pre-order pushing doesn't really exist in the way that GAME is doing in the UK.

If/when GAME goes under there won't be a single video games retailer across the UK high street. I imagine it will be a massive blow to manufacturers as a games focused physical presence won't exist.

For example demonstrating how something like Morpheus to the UK market won't be possible.

Not that I'm favourable towards GAME. Lower your prices and get gud, otherwise prepare to get out.
Argos.

Frankly though, given the state controllers end up in on demo units in stores like GAME and Argos I wouldn't want to send out a load of headsets to get bashed to pieces.

KORNdoggy

You have online retailers, some entertainment chains and supermarkets, but not other video games shops where preorders can be focused and pushed.

there's grainger. they're like gamestation used to be in the good old days before they were bought out by GAME and turned shit.

They have done the same with me, except as far as I know mine isn't a PayPal pre-order, it's direct debit, and they are claiming there is some issue with withdrawing funds despite the bank claiming otherwise.

They pulled the same shit with me, and it was even more flakey! When I pre-ordered a couple of amiibo for £11 each. Suddenly the price to pre-order on the shop went up to £15 and I was sent an e-mail stating that there was an issue with the bank and my direct debit payment. Rang up my bank and surely enough, no recent history of payments being stopped!

Spent a good couple of hours with multiple contact centre workers before finding a nice bloke who managed to re-do the order for me, AND got me the amiibo for the old price I originally pre-ordered them for. The rest of them were saying they could re-order them for me, but only at the new, higher price.

Ever since then I've taken my business to Grainger Games and CeX. The recent Mario Maker charging nonsense just further justified my boycotting of them. GAME can't seem to get the simplest of things right. Especially when it comes to pre-orders and banking. Only reason I used them for the amiibo was because every other online shop had sold out of the amiibo I wanted, back when they were tough to get in the UK many a blue moon ago.

Bravo123

Neo Member
My Paypal took payment for my Pipboy edition from GAME last night.
No problems so far (would ruin my birthday on Nov10th!)

Ban Puncher

yeah again, that's standard. I know it sounds crazy but the second you admit publically that you might be failing, then you have failed. You're fucked. So until a business reaches the point of no return where they have to go into administration they will operate normally and try and maximise profits. The second they go into administration, everything changes and creditors lose a lot of rights. It's shitty but that's how it works.

Yes it's normal.

GAME have given many other reasons to consider them shady.

Go_Ly_Dow

They wouldn't just disappear. Someone would step in.

Whilst the nature of business is generally for competition to arise in latent markets....the UK market on the high street (for video games) is a dead horse.

The competition and competitive pricing from online businesses is strong and the price of having a physical presence, across the UK is very costly due to direct and indirect costs.

Therefore the option left is to mark up your prices/increase margins to offset the additional expenses.

Eventually consumer loyalty wains and people will continue shifting to the Internet for lower prices.

Knowing all that I dont think anyone else will take the risk.

GAME UK is truly a modern miracle of the retail industry. This is a company which commits astounding, otherwise fatal blunders with the release of their most important products every year like clockwork, yet inexplicably manages to bail themselves out from the brink of demise each time.

GAME UK will survive until all of their shops are physically destroyed.

Why do people still insist on giving GAME their money? It's silly.

If you bought from GAME you only have yourself to blame.

No it isn't the consumers fault if anyone deserves the blame it is companies like Bethesda that make exclusive distribution deals that FORCE the consumer to buy from GAME if they want a particular product. I wanted the pip-boy edition of Fallout 4, therefore I have to buy it from GAME.

Thankfully it seems my order is being processed but then again I don't use paypal, which in my experience causes more problems than it solves.

GAME UK is truly a modern miracle of the retail industry. This is a company which commits astounding, otherwise fatal blunders with the release of their most important products every year like clockwork, yet inexplicably manages to bail themselves out from the brink of demise each time.

Lack of competition is a wonderful thing
Whilst the nature of business is generally for competition to arise in latent markets....the UK market on the high street (for video games) is a dead horse.

The competition and competitive pricing from online businesses is strong and the price of having a physical presence, across the UK is very costly due to direct and indirect costs.

Therefore the option left is to mark up your prices/increase margins to offset the additional expenses.

Eventually consumer loyalty wains and people will continue shifting to the Internet for lower prices.

Knowing all that I dont think anyone else will take the risk.

If it's not financially viable to have stores focussed primarily on selling videogames, then they should disappear and be replaced. At this point GAME keeps itself afloat through exclusive deals that fuck over customer and inflated prices because of a lack of competition.

If GAME disappears and no specialized other chain steps in, then games will be sold and pushed elsewhere like in other markets.

King_Moc

Banned

There's plenty of online stores. Given the popularity and speed with which the pipboy edition sold out, I can't imagine many pre-orders were instore.

Spaghetti

there's grainger. they're like gamestation used to be in the good old days before they were bought out by GAME and turned shit.
never seen a grainger before, but god this post made me nostalgic for city centre birmingham's amazing fucking gamestation with the awesome downstairs bit.

it was retro paradise down there. had a metal slug cabinet, shelves upon shelves of old games, and a few rare oddities behind glass in a wall cabinet (i saw a virtual boy in there once). then that section got smaller as they brought in xbox 360s and couches, then it died altogether and became like the rest of the shop. last i recall i think they even closed the downstairs.

fucking GAME.

Go_Ly_Dow

There really aren't any retail chains that are focussed on videogames in Germany except for Gamestop who has a very very small presence, and we're doing fine. All this exclusive pre-order pushing doesn't really exist in the way that GAME is doing in the UK.

Sounds like the perfect future then.

Stop giving GAME your dime.

Argos.

Frankly though, given the state controllers end up in on demo units in stores like GAME and Argos I wouldn't want to send out a load of headsets to get bashed to pieces.

Forgot about Argos. Although they're still more of a jack of all trades as opposed to a entertainment focused product line.

I've never come across a Grainger before. Sounds like a northern chain. :p

never seen a grainger before, but god this post made me nostalgic for city centre birmingham's amazing fucking gamestation with the awesome downstairs bit.

Do a google map search and see if one's nearby. They're a pretty good branch of stores. They often have new games £5 cheaper than GAME at release as well. If you want to shop brick and mortar, they're easily your best bet.

mossypne

Sounds like the perfect future then.

Stop giving GAME your dime.

Forgot about Argos. Although they're still more of a jack of all trades as opposed to a entertainment focused product line.

I've never come across a Grainger before. Sounds like a northern chain. :p

Yeah it's more North East/Yorkshire

Kuraudo

Banned
No it isn't the consumers fault if anyone deserves the blame it is companies like Bethesda that make exclusive distribution deals that FORCE the consumer to buy from GAME if they want a particular product. I wanted the pip-boy edition of Fallout 4, therefore I have to buy it from GAME.

Thankfully it seems my order is being processed but then again I don't use paypal, which in my experience causes more problems than it solves.

Yes. If anything, people should really be tackling the publishers for limiting our options in purchasing their product, especially when their retail partner is unable to comptently provide it.

It's a terrible, anti-consumer practice and the sooner it's done away with the better for everyone.

Facism

it was retro paradise down there. had a metal slug cabinet, shelves upon shelves of old games, and a few rare oddities behind glass in a wall cabinet (i saw a virtual boy in there once). then that section got smaller as they brought in xbox 360s and couches, then it died altogether and became like the rest of the shop. last i recall i think they even closed the downstairs.

fucking GAME.

haha yes! they had that life-size Naked Snake, too!

Fucking sucked when they turned the downstairs into a MICROSOFT (C) XBOX 360 (TM) showroom.

Still consumers fault, there are other options to get pipboy edition, like from eu amazon sites. Actually works out cheaper. Not some big effort.

Are people in 2015 still surprised by GAME having awful service? This is a company that has hung onto its existence after nearly being wiped out and changed absolutely nothing about the way they operate. Stop using them.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When people complain that Amazon are too powerful and are mean and nasty because they're putting high street shops out of business, I like to point them to forum threads like this.

Should we start cataloging GAME's failures. The Super Mario Maker seemed to be quite bad also.

edit. To be quite honest though, if you're paying by PayPal then maybe stop doing that?

When people complain that Amazon are too powerful and are mean and nasty because they're putting high street shops out of business, I like to point them to forum threads like this.
Point me to a single example of a high street pre-order for this item going wrong? Otherwise your statement makes absolutely no sense.

The same good old days when you could buy a new Nintendo product, it would be unsealed and could come with 0-2 Club Nintendo codes rather than one it should have. The same good old days when you could get a US copy of a game on a region free system (very annoying if you order online).

I'm sure they're fine outside of those things.

Also if you live south of Derby (or North of Berwick), Gainger are just another online retailer.

boswell22

The only time I will ever use Game is for console packages. Generally they do decent hardware bundles. Their software costs are a joke compared to other places.

£50 for Black Ops 3 and £40 from Amazon. There is no real reason to use them over other places for games.

Zemm

Yes people will lose jobs, but this company seriously needs to go out of business already. It'll be a much better world without GAME.

Should we start cataloging GAME's failures. The Super Mario Maker seemed to be quite bad also.

edit. To be quite honest though, if you're paying by PayPal then maybe stop doing that?

The PayPal customers being denied just further shows the 'credit card denied' explanation is complete bullshit.

This is clearly (in classic GAME UK fashion) a bungling attempt to cover up for their own incompetence.

hijackedkmr8o.jpg

Armaly

I thought Game was going out of business? How did they manage a turn around if they're still doing the same shit?

They have taken off £99.00 for my Pipboy preorder and are saying it will be dispatched soon.

I paid with my debit card, seems most people are having problems with paying via Paypal.

I have never had a problem with Game (must be one of the lucky ones), but they should be doing more here for the people who have had their orders cancelled.

Also friend and his brother went to midnight launch of COD last night... His brother got a pen for being first in the queue the rest were treated like crap seemingly

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And another dog shit thing is that Nuketown for Black Ops 3 is exclusive to this bunch of Hoof Wanking Bungle Cunts. People are forced to keep buying with them because of moves like this. Publishers need to stop these kinds of exclusivity deals that keep Game going, even with their glaringly obvious short-comings.

Sigh.

The paypal 30 day thing on pre-orders may be the cause, but this is still GAME's screw up, simplygames have some issue about that, but they tell you they just charge the order after 21 days if the pre-order is more than 28 days before release. No issues.

The PayPal customers being denied just further shows the 'credit card denied' explanation is complete bullshit.

This is clearly (in classic GAME UK fashion) a bungling attempt to cover up for their own incompetence.
No it doesn't, because you can fund your PayPal account, or pay a transaction with, your credit/debit card.

So your PayPal payment can fail because your card is out of date or the bank declined it etc if you don't have funding from your account directly as an alternative source.

Of course I'm not suggesting this is anything other than GAME being GAME, but the example reasons in their email are valid for both payment methods.

They pulled the same shit with me, and it was even more flakey! When I pre-ordered a couple of amiibo for £11 each. Suddenly the price to pre-order on the shop went up to £15 and I was sent an e-mail stating that there was an issue with the bank and my direct debit payment. Rang up my bank and surely enough, no recent history of payments being stopped!

Spent a good couple of hours with multiple contact centre workers before finding a nice bloke who managed to re-do the order for me, AND got me the amiibo for the old price I originally pre-ordered them for. The rest of them were saying they could re-order them for me, but only at the new, higher price.

Ever since then I've taken my business to Grainger Games and CeX. The recent Mario Maker charging nonsense just further justified my boycotting of them. GAME can't seem to get the simplest of things right. Especially when it comes to pre-orders and banking. Only reason I used them for the amiibo was because every other online shop had sold out of the amiibo I wanted, back when they were tough to get in the UK many a blue moon ago.
That's just disgusting.

Must be late 90s early 2000s since I bought from GAME and even that was a rare thing. Always been shoddy and notoriously overpriced. It certainly is a miracle how they still survive.

Is this some GAME exclusive? I'd find it odd if you can't order from the many reputable online retailers. Probably best they close down so another street store can pick up the sales like Argos, they seem to be everywhere.

Top Bottom