• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME dropping the ball again? (Fallout 4/UK)

Would be interesting to know if this is mostly PayPal or mostly debit cards, though. There's always going to be a few stragglers who literally didn't have the money at the time or expired but want to have a moan anyway.

Must be late 90s early 2000s since I bought from GAME and even that was a rare thing. Always been shoddy and notoriously overpriced. It certainly is a miracle how they still survive.

Is this some GAME exclusive? I'd find it odd if you can't order from the many reputable online retailers. Probably best they close down so another street store can pick up the sales like Argos, they seem to be everywhere.
Late 90s GAME was great, it was early 2000s when they got bought out they turned to shit

Slowdive

Banned
Must be late 90s early 2000s since I bought from GAME and even that was a rare thing. Always been shoddy and notoriously overpriced. It certainly is a miracle how they still survive.

Is this some GAME exclusive? I'd find it odd if you can't order from the many reputable online retailers. Probably best they close down so another street store can pick up the sales like Argos, they seem to be everywhere.

Yeah.

Beefy

never seen a grainger before, but god this post made me nostalgic for city centre birmingham's amazing fucking gamestation with the awesome downstairs bit.

it was retro paradise down there. had a metal slug cabinet, shelves upon shelves of old games, and a few rare oddities behind glass in a wall cabinet (i saw a virtual boy in there once). then that section got smaller as they brought in xbox 360s and couches, then it died altogether and became like the rest of the shop. last i recall i think they even closed the downstairs.

fucking GAME.

Yep. We used to have 2 Game stores and a Gamestation. Now all we have is one Game store and a trade in place called Cex here.

Coxy100

Banned
Love all the sanctimonious posts in here about only got yourself to blame...who still uses Game...etc etc

I've also got a fallout pre order with them - I hate using them but I collect steelboooks so I have no choice when they have exclusivity. Unfortunately they get so many exclusives. And as a gaming fan I like collecting game exclusives...so sadly some of us are stuck using them.

Love all the sanctimonious posts in here about only got yourself to blame...who still uses Game...etc etc

I've also got a fallout pre order with them - I hate using them but I collect steelboooks so I have no choice when they have exclusivity. Unfortunately they get so many exclusives. And as a gaming fan I like collecting game exclusives...so sadly some of us are stuck using them.

Import from EU, works out cheaper often.

I really don't think that GAME will ever be in the amount of trouble that they were. This was back when they would notoriously have 3 or 4 different shops in a place as small as Ipswich and around the time that supermarkets were still doing amazing launch day deals.
Like £25-30 for the newest Cod/GTA/Fifa/AC.

In the 90's Special Reserve and Gamestation shit all over GAME. I've never been a GAME customer because there has always been better alternatives.

Special Reserve! Forgot all about that. Electronics Boutique were pretty good to begin with too, but prices started going up.

In the 90's Special Reserve and Gamestation shit all over GAME. I've never been a GAME customer because there has always been better alternatives.

90s GAME did retro games, was cheap, offered good trade in prices, sold used games at a decent discount, had a great loyalty card system, cannot be faulted.

It's so embarrassing for GAME this is the busiest month of the year for them and they can't handle it. Reading one person has been charged twice for the Pip Boy. That they have not allocated stock between in store and online properly.

Oh man do Game suck. Shame that they keep locking up all these nice exclusive editions forcing folks to buy from them.
Pubs give them to Amazon, Shopto, GmG anyone!

My dear mother was nice enough to buy me Witcher 3 today but went to Game and I instantly felt dirty.

Mr Git

Wish publishers would stop giving GAME exclusivity for everything. I've not bothered buying many SEs because only they had them. Also it's still miserable that they bought Gamestation, swallowed it up and made it shit.

blazeuk

The paypal 30 day thing on pre-orders may be the cause, but this is still GAME's screw up, simplygames have some issue about that, but they tell you they just charge the order after 21 days if the pre-order is more than 28 days before release. No issues.

I had this issue when I used Gamestop recently, the only difference was rather than completely cancelling the order they emailed to say it wasn't processed and to email back if I still wanted the item, then they reissued a paypal invoice to me to pay. Simple.

labx

Banned
Holy fuck I just pre-order gravity rush remaster from them because SCEA dont give a shit about physical copies should I worry?

Audioboxer

I cancelled my order and asked about the £20 deposit being refunded. No answer back. Knowing Game they won't refund it and send out the F4 pip boy anyway.

ViciousDS

Banned
While I'm sure the PayPal thing will be happening as it does with every retailer who has pre-orders with it, it's not only that. Same thing happened on my MGS V LE that was just a debit card purchase and had to fuck around with them to get it sorted. Pretty much made sure it was the last time I ever use them, no matter what exclusive shit they have.

The stores smart enough take instant payment using PayPal so this shit doesn't happen.

BestBuy takes payment immediately for Pre-Orders that way come shipment day there is no worry that you don't have money or it can'y be processed since its already done.

The stores smart enough take instant payment using PayPal so this shit doesn't happen.

BestBuy takes payment immediately for Pre-Orders that way come shipment day there is no worry that you don't have money or it can'y be processed since its already done.
And that is why americans do not like too pre order.
In the UK no one does that, some usually take a £1 deposit but most are deposit free so you can cancel on a whim whenever :)

they are packing my pipboy has been paid for (direct from bank no paypal)

Game.co.uk are one of the sh*tiest retailers out there!
Long story short, a friend of mine ordered two pip boy editions, one for me and one for him, the day it was available on their site! After chatting with their customer care representative, he was assured that if the two editions are placed on two separate orders, we will both receive the goodies of the fallout game club (the t-shirt and bubble head)!
Well, a week ago the imbeciles there send only one t-shirt (no bubble head at all) and after chatting with them and sending them visual proof that we were promised the goodies, they just terminated the chat! I asked my friend to cancel my copy and got it pre ordered in my country!

Fingers crossed that the U4 Collectors Edition will become available with other retailers, as Game is the worst I've to deal yet!

PS
Today i learned that, my friends edition was cancelled!

ViciousDS

Banned
And that is why americans do not like too pre order.
In the UK no one does that, some usually take a £1 deposit but most are deposit free so you can cancel on a whim whenever :)

they are packing my pipboy has been paid for (direct from bank no paypal)

Er..........what

a lot of americans pre-order, its just a PayPal thing that has direct transfer. If you use BestBuy without PayPal its the same deal $1 pending until launch day. System is exactly the same. It's just GAME using PayPal thats fucked because of the agreement for prepay.

Er..........what

a lot of americans pre-order, its just a PayPal thing that has direct transfer. If you use BestBuy without PayPal its the same deal $1 pending until launch day. System is exactly the same. It's just GAME using PayPal thats fucked because of the agreement for prepay.
Sorry i may be misinformed then, but the whole pre order culture hatred thing i have never understood as in the UK we just cancel games if they get bad reviews and no money lost, where as in america you have too pay up front?

Slowdive

Banned
UPDATE: After an hour and 51 minutes on hold with GAME, I have some advice.

GAME's customer service are evidently unable to deal with these issues themselves, so if you do manage to get through, you will be put on a callback list. After that it's just a matter of waiting by the phone. I was told that they are confident that they can get through it before the release of the game. So, if you've been affected, stay on them until they put you on the callback list.

On the other hand, though, I also had it confirmed that my order had been straight-up cancelled. So, yeah. I'm not enormously confident about actually getting a PIP Boy Edition.

One reader got in touch via Twitter to say that he'd been told on the phone that "they can't reinstate orders and won't be able to take stock until after release". Fingers crossed in the meantime, I guess.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/11/06/there-are-evidently-some-problems-with-game-fallout-4-pre-orders

ViciousDS

Banned
Sorry i may be misinformed then, but the whole pre order culture hatred thing i have never understood as in the UK we just cancel games if they get bad reviews and no money lost, where as in america you have too pay up front?

Just PayPal

you can still cancel anytime you want....lol

It's just funds up front are in full for the most part. Cancelling though works the same and you get a full refund. It's just instead of a 1Euro refund we get a $52 refund XD

JoeNut

It really confuses me why anyone is still buying anything from Game, they're overpriced, with terrible customer service in store (and by the looks of it on the phone too)

Havent bought anything from there for about 10 years.

Just PayPal

you can still cancel anytime you want....lol

It's just funds up front are in full for the most part. Cancelling though works the same and you get a full refund. It's just instead of a 1Euro refund we get a $52 refund XD

Ahh thanks, never knew.
Makes me really confused on the hatred of pre order culture now lol

It really confuses me why anyone is still buying anything from Game, they're overpriced, with terrible customer service in store (and by the looks of it on the phone too)

Pip boy is exclusive.

Never had an issue with ordering how it is here in the UK. We get charged upon dispatch on absolutely everything.

This "paying off the pre order" I read from US posters is quite bizarre, making trips to the game store to pay a bit more or paying for it all in go months ahead. Reason being the game store bank all the money and sit there earning interest for months.

Exclusive editions to them.

I mean, the thread is about a game exclusive product so...

ViciousDS

Banned
Ahh thanks, never knew.
Makes me really confused on the hatred of pre order culture now lol

Pip boy is exclusive.

It's because they don't want to go into the store and get hassled.......for GameStop buyers at least. For Amazon, BestBuy or any online order its as simple as cancelling. Only problem has been review embargos are mostly launch days now and your product is already in transit. But most online orders can physically be returned to the store you ordered online from. Amazon of course is the exception and you have to send it back in the mail.

Never had an issue with ordering how it is here in the UK. We get charged upon dispatch on absolutely everything.

This "paying off the pre order" I read from US posters is quite bizarre, making trips to the game store to pay a bit more or paying for it all in go months ahead. Reason being the game store bank all the money and sit there earning interest for months.

HAHA

It's basically layaway for an object that doesn't exist. There is a reason I don't pre-order in store anymore. It's such a pain.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully playtronics take off. Although they were selling black ops 2 days early so it may be not so good lol

UK gamers needs to stop buying there games from GAME.
for the love of god, use amazon, shopto, gamesseek or whatever .... just not GAME.

That being said, they still have few PS4 MGSV console which I am dreaming of buying :( :(

King_Moc

Banned
Thinking about it, I've actually nearly lost count of the things that game have gotten wrong justvwith this one order. First they charged the wrong amount (lower, luckily) for the deposit. They then sent an email apologising.

Then they invited me to a midnight launch where I could pick the game up. Then sent a follow up apologising and saying I couldn't as I ordered online.

Then the other day, they sent my bobblehead to my billing address, not my delivery addres, meaning I have to make a 45 minute round trip to the post office. They then sent an email apologising.

I wouldn't mind so much, but the last thing I ordered from them was the Shulk amiibo, which they cancelled on me as they didn't have enough stock.

All in all, I'm stunned that they're still in business.

KORNdoggy

It's so embarrassing for GAME this is the busiest month of the year for them and they can't handle it. Reading one person has been charged twice for the Pip Boy. That they have not allocated stock between in store and online properly.

not to mention the manager who ordered their entire stock of gift cards recently...

they're overpriced
they hold a monopoly on limited editions
and their staff are idiots

Kuraudo

Banned

Never had either of those. First dedicated game shops that opened near me were Whiz Kids, which didn't last long, then GAME and Electronics Boutique. Out of the two of those, GAME was the much better store, mainly for its pretty decent loyalty system. Its service began to decline pretty steadily from about 2002 though.

El_Cinefilo

Didn't Game.co.uk fuck up another expensive pre-order not that long ago? Or am I thinking of the Arkham Knight special edition that wasn't their fault? Either way Game are terrible, their prices are far too expensive (especially in store) and with their exclusives I actually think it would be better for everyone if they went under for good(not that I want anyone to lose their jobs)

KJRS_1993

and their staff are idiots

Wowww nahh blurd, that's not fair.
They get paid minimum wage (or not much better) and are constantly threatened with disciplinary action if they don't sell enough consoles / accessories / preorders to fulfil a quota.
It's a really shitty place to work.

As for the manager who ordered all of the reward cards, yes that was a mistake, but which prat actually sent them out without questioning why they would suddenly need the countries stock of reward cards?

Heimbeck

Banned
Didn't Game.co.uk fuck up another expensive pre-order not that long ago? Or am I thinking of the Arkham Knight special edition that wasn't their fault? Either way Game are terrible, their prices are far too expensive (especially in store) and with their exclusives I actually think it would be better for everyone if they went under for good(not that I want anyone to lose their jobs)

They fucked up Super Mario Maker by taking payment like ten payments instead of one for each pre-order.
That's the most recent I think.

Memory

Its 2015 , GAME have been a terrible retailer for over 25 years. Anyone still shopping at GAME is asking for trouble.

Mr. Sam

One of the worst things that ever happened to videogames in the UK was GAME purchasing Gamestation, turning it into GAME 2.0 and thus destroying it.

KORNdoggy

As for the manager who ordered all of the reward cards, yes that was a mistake, but which prat actually sent them out without questioning why they would suddenly need the countries stock of reward cards?

another part of their staff...who are also idiots? lol.

if they're not being idiots they seem to either be completely useless or annoying. granted i'm generalising, but i do see an awful lot of idiots congregating in GAME. lol

One of the worst things that ever happened to videogames in the UK was GAME purchasing Gamestation, turning it into GAME 2.0 and thus destroying it.
game station was amazing when I used to store shop a lot back between 1998 and 2005, then shit hit the fan and we have what's left of that now... :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
The last time I pre-ordered with GAME was when I pre-ordered Windwaker HD limited edition.

I always felt nervous because I just did not trust GAME at all and when I got my copy, I vowed to never pre-order from them again.

I kept my promise, though I am going to GAME to trade in Triforce Heroes, but only if I get a good value out of it.

Game really do need to get their act together.

When I went in-store to buy Sunset overdrive at launch they had an offer saying "Trade in 2 certain games and get the game half price".

This reduced it down to £30 and I asked if they were selling it at £60.00, the guy clearly didn't agree with it but said it was what they were told to do. I took my two games and walked out.

I am all for supporting actual retail shops, but not when they actively try to fleece you. £60.00 is far too much for any physical game.

There is one guy at my local game who you can see is really into games however the rest of them just don't give a crap.

Those trade in deal are a rip off anyway as you are losing 2 games for one while GAME is gaining 2 games for the price of one.

The customers is getting ripped off.

If/when GAME goes under there won't be a single video games retailer across the UK high street. I imagine it will be a massive blow to manufacturers as a games focused physical presence won't exist.

For example demonstrating how something like Morpheus to the UK market won't be possible.

Not that I'm favourable towards GAME. Lower your prices and get gud, otherwise prepare to get out.

Someone else will take their place and beside GAME isn't helping themselves by trying to find every way to screw their customers over.

They deserve to go under.

Also it's also the government fault in allowing GAME to buy out the competition and creating a monopoly, someone should have stepped in and said no.

I miss Gamestation. :(

I went in to pick up a copy at lunch and they said something about servers being down, so it was taking them like 15 minutes to print the Nuketown codes for some people. Luckily mine printed straight away. They also gave me another code that's 13 digits long, which is too long for PSN so I'm not sure what to do with it.

They also tried to get me to pre-order Uncharted 4. If I can pick up Call Of Duty on release day without a pre-order, I can pick up any game on release day without a pre-order.

Dunkers92

I work at GAME, the PayPal orders just need to be re issued. The stock is still allocated to the customer, it's just a matter of reconfirming the orders.

Not sure about the debit cards not going through. Usually it's just an issue of not enough funds, or a different billing address being used to delivery address

Edit: the 13 digit long code is to be used on the cod website

Top Bottom