• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME in Trouble Again?

Daffy Duck

ASDA up the Maybird do good deals from time to time. Saw Destiny for £20 brand new t'other day.

I'll have to check there more often, but most times I've gone to look there (looked for a 20th anniversary controller) they were selling them for £55!! This was more than GAME were selling them for, £49.99.

You can buy games in pretty much every supermarket in the UK and they are 9/10 cheaper than game, sometimes much cheaper. But if you really want it cheap then just get it on amazon or something.

None of my closest supermarkets have games. If you go to the local big tesco, and only happen to want a recent big ps4 or xbone release you might be OK. Nintendo/vita? Good luck.

None of my closest supermarkets have games. If you go to the local big tesco, and only happen to want a recent big ps4 or xbone release you might be OK. Nintendo/vita? Good luck.

Yeah, people offering supermarkets as alternatives to GAME are completely missing the point. Unless you want FIFA or Assassin's Creed or whatever you're SOL at basically all stores other than GAME, in the south.

Which is okay because just buy online instead, but other than Grainger there is no bricks and mortar alternative to GAME and it's silly to pretend there is. Not that I'm convinced they're really needed on the high-street when they offer online trade-ins but still.

Symphonia

Banned
I'll have to check there more often, but most times I've gone to look there (looked for a 20th anniversary controller) they were selling them for £55!! This was more than GAME were selling them for, £49.99.
I don't know if it was a one-off price, or even an error. I was just checking the games out quickly as I picked up some stuff for the house. £55 for a controller, though? Ouch.

I buy all my stuff through my local independent apart from Steam stuff.The local Game is staffed by knowledge deficient people,plus they are rude as hell,along with being stupidly expensive.

No matter how much some people seem to dislike Game on here, it would be a shame for them to go from the high street. They are the last dedicated nationwide game retailer (and i mean focused on games...), not to mention the loss of peoples jobs.

However, the UK is (or was in 2013 at least) the leader of online retail in europe and even the world. The days of the high street the way that we knew it are numbered.

Would be sad to see them go. I need somewhere to kill some time on my lunch break and CEX smells too intense for me.

EDIT: Just read the update, damn that's funny.

Nuzzgok

I was in GAME about an hour ago, they had a ton of fifa 14 copies on PS4 for 99p each. Bought a good few for my friends for a laugh, and they just start hounding about loyalty cards, do I want the collectors edition of the new AC, things like that. It's why I avoid it.

Cleve

that a manager somewhere had accidentally ordered ALL THE GIFT CARDS and they were having trouble rerouting them to other stores.

Aren't they a pretty big retailer over there? That's a silly mistake on the part of the manager but truly idiotic on the part of the warehouse doing the fulfillment.

Newline

This is kind of non news in my eyes. GAME will always be a struggling company now, times are moving on and they can't adapt.
The staff in there must think you're so weird
from my experience GAME store workers are some of the snarkiest workers on the high street, filled with a level of self reverence that goes well beyond their actual job role. The only employees I find more annoying are those that work in commission based companies like curry's. I wouldn't worry too much if any of them thought I was weird.

from my experience GAME store workers are some of the most snarky workers on the high street, filled with a level of self reverence that goes well beyond their actual job role. The only employees I find more annoying are those that work in commission based companies like curry's. I wouldn't worry too much if any of them thought I was weird.

Oh yeah, if I don't shop in my local it's absolutely because the staff are twats more than the prices. I don't mind paying an extra £5/£10 for the sake of an impulse buy, I get they have to pay high-street rents and stuff so there's obviously extra costs over online shopping, but fuck the staff there.

Newline

Oh yeah, if I don't shop in my local it's absolutely because the staff are twats more than the prices. I don't mind paying an extra £5/£10 for the sake of an impulse buy, I get they have to pay high-street rents and stuff so there's obviously extra costs over online shopping, but fuck the staff there.
I still remember the time that I bought two copies of a heavily discounted xbox 360 title for my brother and I. The employees removed the free xbox live 1 month subscription from the boxes as they thought I was buying the games for that alone. Even if I was, i'm laying down the price they had set for those specific games so I found the whole situation ridiculous, I politely asked that they put them back in after I noticed.

Yup, I do always try and support the one or two relaxed independent chains in my area with the odd impulsive purchase. New 3dsXL for example.

Will probably do the same with that ridiculous elite controller next week.

Gift cards seem to be available online. Regardless of what people think of Game, they are the last real nationwide high street store in the UK. They could definitely improve but losing gaming from the UK high Street would be a real shame.

Because they bought out the (much better for consumer) competition. When they die we'll see other stores again.

Top Bottom