• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August 2012 - next Gears of War

Pistolero

I'd rather see them give the franchise some room to breath, especially that it's guaranteed to migrate towards the Durango-720. But as many have already suggested, maybe a special treatement will distinguish it from the rest of the series....

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Gears 3 was such a goddamn achievement that it needs more time to stand on its own. One of the best looking games of the gen, certainly the best Gears multiplayer yet, amazing expansions to the Horde mode... I haven't put as much time into Gears 3 as I would have liked, but I'm still stunned at the completeness and range of the package Epic put together with Gears 3.

Hopefully this new Gears game is a 720 launch title or at the very least a Holiday 2013 game.

This this and more this.

I was blown away by Gears 3 at launch, I would love to see another title. But really, I MUCH would have rathered more time to play Gears 3 while they baked a Gears 4 Next Gen cake for fall 2013.

For the people saying it's too soon, it's not like the are releasing it tomorrow. It will probably be out sometime in 2013. That's a good two years between. I don't understand the "sequelitis" comments, when this has always gone on. Last gen we had like 3 Splinter Cells in 4 years, 3 GTAs in 4 years, 4 Ratchet and Clanks in 4 years and plenty others like that. People act like this is some brand new thing.

LCfiner

I was bored to death by Gears 3. Cover based shooting has become so monotonous and dull.

Do we seriously need to wait for a new console gen before we start seeing new ideas with large sized budgets? it's depressing

The game's present might be as Marcus is imprisoned and all the missions in the game are flashbacks. Battle of Aspho Fields, E-Day, the chain of events to his imprisonment. Maybe we'll get filled in on what his father's relation to the Queen was. Not revealing anything to Marcus, but we'll know at least.

Hopefully this one has a lot of flashbacks that explain the actual back story to the Gears Universe. I remember Bombcast Gears 3 spoiler talk there is a lot of back story never explained. Either way E3 Monday new Gears and Halo I am okay with that.

Gears 3 was such a goddamn achievement that it needs more time to stand on its own. One of the best looking games of the gen, certainly the best Gears multiplayer yet, amazing expansions to the Horde mode... I haven't put as much time into Gears 3 as I would have liked, but I'm still stunned at the completeness and range of the package Epic put together with Gears 3.

Hopefully this new Gears game is a 720 launch title or at the very least a Holiday 2013 game.

Yeah Gears 3 was some great times. I feel very much the same way about a new Gears on the 360 as I do about Halo 4. I wish Microsoft was going to let us long for them for just a little bit and unveil both on the next system. I understand that isn't something you can tell shareholders it would have just been nice.

Isocr4cy

Hopefully this one has a lot of flashbacks that explain the actual back story to the Gears Universe. I remember Bombcast Gears 3 spoiler talk there is a lot of back story never explained. Either way E3 Monday new Gears and Halo I am okay with that.

A lot of the Gears back story is told through the 5 books that Karen Traviss has written. In fact, pretty much every book is 50% flash-backs and 50% current day events.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not surprised by it existing as much as I am for it being announced so soon after Gears 3, unless it's a really big DLC.

Is there an exclusive series on 360 that isn't coming out with a yearly release at this point? lol

I'm not surprised by it existing as much as I am for it being announced so soon after Gears 3, unless it's a really big DLC.

Is there an exclusive series on 360 that isn't coming out with a yearly release at this point? lol

It's not coming out this year most likely though.

If the 720 is indeed coming next year, and I would be amazed if it isn't, then I hope this game sees a dual release. If 720 launched with Destiny and a new Gears that wouldn't be bad at all, sure they aren't exclusives to the new hardware, but I imagine they could justify the purchase.

TheOddOne

Yeah Gears 3 was some great times. I feel very much the same way about a new Gears on the 360 as I do about Halo 4. I wish Microsoft was going to let us long for them for just a little bit and unveil both on the next system. I understand that isn't something you can tell shareholders it would have just been nice.
I still find it funny that people bring this up, no dig on you though. Guess people never actually looked deeper into that story.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

The one thing that bothers me that they never explained in GeoW 3 is why
the Locust Queen looks human

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I wasn't a huge fan of the third game (last fall was just too crowded in with sequels in general though) but I can really dig a Prequel and a new developer with a new play-style, if done right.

I said I was finally getting a tiny bit interested in Microsoft's conference when they announced all the third-parties there, now I'm actually excited for it. Wow me Microsoft and PCF!

rapid32.5

Do we even need more Gears ? I liked the series but it has run its course just like COD after part 2. It is funny how it works for both of them. GOW2/MW2 was the last hooray.

jagowar

I'm calling it now.... this will be the showcase for unreal 4. Will launch on both the 360 and nextbox next fall and next years e3 they will so a side by side comparison (half screen ue3/360 and the other half ue4/nextbox) to show you how much better unreal4/nextbox looks compared to 360.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If the 720 is indeed coming next year, and I would be amazed if it isn't, then I hope this game sees a dual release. If 720 launched with Destiny and a new Gears that wouldn't be bad at all, sure they aren't exclusives to the new hardware, but I imagine they could justify the purchase.

Well I have always said that many launch 720 games will likely be just 360 games but with the high res assets used and some fancy new lighting, bokeh DoF, tessellation, etc. thrown in.

Also maybe additional scale, like more enemies and friendly NPC's in encounters, larger maps, etc.

So this.
Gears_of_War_3_Desktop_wallpaper_oas_co_g.jpg
Cranked to 11.

Edit:

I'm calling it now.... this will be the showcase for unreal 4. Will launch on both the 360 and nextbox next fall and next years e3 they will so a side by side comparison (half screen ue3/360 and the other half ue4/nextbox) to show you how much better unreal4/nextbox looks compared to 360.

If you're right I will do backflips of joy.

I wish I could enter one thread and not have people complaining about how a best-selling franchise mysteriously is still supported by a large corporation. If you don't like the series, that's fine, but there are some of us who do (quite evidently).

I've played and enjoyed all three games in the series but it is too soon. Too much of a good thing isn't better.

I'm still waiting for Gears 3 to hit $20

http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-Gears-of-War-3/142585/

$17.99 but with shipping comes to around $20.

gotta love GAF.

ANOTHER GEARZ OF WAR ALREADY??!?!? SRZLY GUIZ ANOTHA 1 !???!

...Hey guiz so iz this one for PS3 as well? Multiplat Plz!

Surprised to see next Gears (Kinect crap or whatever) revealed (even without any real info) like this just before E3. It's not like MS usually have big gaming related announcements at E3 since Kinect launch.

Eternia

What makes you say that? A Halo and GoW in the same holiday season isn't impossibe (see 2011).
Don't they have titles from 3 of their main franchises this holiday? Forza, Fable and Halo. Microsoft tends to spread out their titles in a predictable fashion.

I was bored to death by Gears 3. Cover based shooting has become so monotonous and dull.

Do we seriously need to wait for a new console gen before we start seeing new ideas with large sized budgets? it's depressing

Yep I felt the same.
Played it pretty much only for story closure.

-PXG-

Gears 1 prequel with Marcus. Developed by PCF. I mean, what else could it be.

I'm at work. Can someone make the GI cover into an avatar and PM the link. Thanks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Surely a 2013 title, no?

Didn't expect this soon. Maybe MS will have games at their conference after all.

abracadaver

I bet this will be like ODST was for halo 3: Release this year. Includes new campaign and the complete multiplayer of gears 3. Prequel story set after e-day but before Gears 1

I wish gameinformer wouldnt have spoiled the surprise. Wasnt expecting it

Top Bottom