• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: "Will be a bit of a surprise", "Really doubt someone will guess"

Eusis

Isn't EVERYTHING a big surprise from them? I know that's just how you spin marketing, but maybe they should just call it "exciting" rather than "surprising".
I hate these threads. They are a waste of time and free advertisement for the magazine. Most of the games they show are already known about too.
Or the existence of which is predictable enough. A new Tom Clancy game? With Ubisoft outright BUYING THE RIGHT TO USE HIS NAME AS THEY SEE FIT there's always going to be more Tom Clancy stuff from him. Then the few that are out of the blue are usually completely new stuf anyway, like Dishonored. I think the biggest serious surprised within the last year or two was a proper Strategy Xcom being revealed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't EVERYTHING a big surprise from them? I know that's just how you spin marketing, but maybe they should just call it "exciting" rather than "surprising".

The last one they called surprising was South Park.

I just made a list for Kev:

ULTRA SURPRISING GAME = South Park
"The real nuts is the developer"/"Freak Out Old School Gamers" = XCOM: Enemy Unknown
You already know it! = The Last of Us
There was none it leaked = AC3
SUPER GRAPHICS = Halo 4

I hate these threads. They are a waste of time and free advertisement for the magazine. Most of the games they show are already known about too.

They make hilarious work time reading though.

iceatcs

Yes Yes Yes. Again.
I love announcement of announcement. It is the best thing on gaming since QTE features.

But I'm scare of Gameinformer's expectations. They are so weak. South park RPG was same level as HL3 to them.

The "surprise" wording would seem to indicate that this is either a completely unannounced game or one we haven't heard about in some time, for what it's worth.

Strider_Hiryu_3_fake_magazine_by_drios.jpg

STRIDER 3 LETS GO BABY

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The "surprise" wording would seem to indicate that this is either a completely unannounced game or one we haven't heard about in some time, for what it's worth.

I'm assuming it's a totally expected sequel that is slightly different than the last iteration.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"The real nuts is the developer"/"Freak Out Old School Gamers" = XCOM: Enemy Unknown

This one was fair, I think. A lot of folk were pretty soured on the XCOM reboot, and this came out of nowhere. It also looked and sounded quite promising, with an experienced developer at the helm. Nothing, to my knowledge, had leaked, so it was a legitimate surprise.

A South Park RPG from Obsidian is something I'd also consider pretty surprising, just not the kind of 'surprise' people expected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This one was fair, I think. A lot of folk were pretty soured on the XCOM reboot, and this came out of nowhere. It also looked and sounded quite promising, with an experienced developer at the helm. Nothing, to my knowledge, had leaked, so it was a legitimate surprise.

A South Park RPG from Obsidian is something I'd also consider pretty surprising, just not the kind of 'surprise' people expected.

I feel they've basically delivered on their statements if you don't stretch them to hyperbole.

Well, I don't think Halo 4 looks that good, but apparently some people really do.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel they've basically delivered on their statements if you don't stretch them to hyperbole.

Well, I don't think Halo 4 looks that good, but apparently some people really do.

This is probably the Half-Life 3 x Zelda crossover I've been hearing about then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren has suggested Army of Four.

That does strike me as obvious enough for a cover, while also being not obvious enough for them to make this statement.

Derrick01

Banned
You knew something about The Last of Us before its announcement?

I'm pretty sure we knew enough about it from leaks but we just didn't know the developer. I think the leading guess was the god of war studio.

edit: And yeah it was gametrailers who revealed it first.

Top Bottom