• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer - Factor 5 Q&A (Lair in Optimization)

Kittonwy

Banned
Hopefully we'll see an updated build, maybe a demo sometime soon. I'm really looking forward to this game.
Indifferent2.gif

Wollan

Some people seem allergic to 1080p. Whenever MS next console comes around it will be their new standard, why attack the developers with skill enough to do it already with seemingly no drop in visual quality?

theBishop

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Hopefully we'll see an updated build, maybe a demo sometime soon. I'm really looking forward to this game.
Indifferent2.gif

ANY demo for one of the big upcoming games would go a long way to easing my frustration with Sony right now. I think i'm more upbeat about PS3 than most, but this info blackout is really getting on my nerves. I don't feel like Sony has ever had a proper PS3 info blowout. Every ****ing event since E3 2005 has felt like its holding back.

The system has been available for almost 3 months now, and it still feels like they haven't really launched.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

You bring up a good point.

WHERE IS MY DEMO!!!!!!!

edit: beaten

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So possibility of old Turrican games for download on the PS Store and new Turrican game in 3d. Not bad.

Draft

So seriously, what IS the big deal with HDMI? Is it the 7.1 lossless audio stuff? Because visually, as far as I can tell, it offers no advantage over old interface technology.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9500/radeon9500pro/specs.html

These are the tech specs of the trusty old 9500 Pro, preferred card of the budget gamer oh, say, 4 years ago. Notice its available resolutions:

Monitor Resolution Hz
640x480 120
800x600 120
1024x768 120
1152x864 120
1280x1024 120
1600x1200 85
1920x1080 75
1920x1200 75
1920x1440 75
2048x1536 60

Now, never mind that this guy would choke and die trying to render a 3D screen at 2048x1536@60fps, but it technically can, and it could push it through a rinky dink VGA connection. I sort of figured that was the case. Bandwidth has always been WAY ahead of the amount of data we can actually move at any one time. People who don't game on PCs may not be too up on this, but back in the day, video cards hooked up to motherboards through AGP slots. A couple years ago, we all moved to PCI express. Why? You have got me, partner, because we never came close to saturating the AGP bus. I think now we are just getting close to almost maxing out AGP 8x bandwidth. Maybe. Sort of.

HDMI must have features I am not familiar with if it's that important to Factor 5.

Wollan

I guess the fact that TV's that can actually take 1080p through component is in the great minority compared to TV's that can accept it through HDMI.

Draft said:
I wasn't aware that visual signals were super saturating traditional cables at this point. For example my PC is hooked up to an old CRT via VGA cable, and displays a 1600x1200 resolution. I know that's not quite 1920x1280, but are you saying I'm getting signal loss due to the cable not being sufficient for picture bandwidth?

Yea well, most people don't use PCs. 1080p will be the way of the future whether you want to admit it or not. Component can pass 1080p, but the real question is how many HDTVs do and will accept a 1080p signal through component? Not many. And since 50-70" tvs are now becoming affordable. I can assure you having tested the Sony 1080p 70" SXRD that there is a noticable difference between 1080i/720p and 1080p.

I'm not here to argue 360 vs Ps3. It's just that I can see where Julian is coming from. Plus, tvs supporting deep color will be coming out. HDMI 1.3 has that support, so while component is pretty much done in terms of improvements, HDMI is young and can be improved upon.

Kittonwy

Banned
theBishop said:
ANY demo for one of the big upcoming games would go a long way to easing my frustration with Sony right now. I think i'm more upbeat about PS3 than most, but this info blackout is really getting on my nerves. I don't feel like Sony has ever had a proper PS3 info blowout. Every ****ing event since E3 2005 has felt like its holding back.

The system has been available for almost 3 months now, and it still feels like they haven't really launched.

I'm not really frustrated probably because I enjoy Resistance alot right now and I always have Motorstorm JPN to fall back on, but yeah I would like to see some demo coming my way on PSN, not so much the multiplatform stuff but first-party games, I really want to see those first-party games.
Indifferent2.gif

bill0527

“Well, 1080p? Well, we don’t know about that. Real high-definition? You know what? Let’s do 720p for the games, mostly.”

So if Lair clocks in at anything less than 1080p with a solid framerate, this guy needs to be publically ridiculed for making such a ridiculous statement.

If 1080p was one of the reasons why they chose Sony and their game doesn't deliver 1080p, then yeah, this guy's credibility is gone out the window.

There's nothing wrong with being pumped up about your games and the people you are partnering with, but when you make statements like he made above, then he better back it up.

What you gys are missing is that he isn't a native English speaker, so sometimes he doesn't exactly say what he means.

And where's my dragon breeding game?! I'm disapointed GameInformer didn't ask about it.

If 1080p was one of the reasons why they chose Sony and their game doesn't deliver 1080p, then yeah, this guy's credibility is gone out the window.
The game is on the finish line, with 1080p graphics, you're grasping for something here. I don't understand why people would have anything against the system they actually bought.
Do you want PS3 developers to disapoint, and lie, and make bad looking games? You bought the system, you will probably play that games, why do you want them to not be as good as they can be?

once again it can't just be a good PS3 discussion for a change without various ****ing asshat Xbots charging in...

...and when they can't slam the game, they'll pick another inane topic to piss and moan about- in this case HDMI. -_-

Lair seems like a really concentrated effort by Factor 5... and I highly commend them for it. I was never a Rogue Squadron fan and it's hard to say if I'll like this game or not, but they've definitely gotten my attention with the concept.
I hope it works out, because I can't think of another game on the market that's quite like it. Even from the first trailers of the dragon rider harpooning another dragon, jumping to it, killing the enemy rider, downing the enemy dragon, jumping off, and rejoining his dragon I've been intrigued. I just hope the concept doesn't get old within the first hour. :)

Lets get a playable demo in the PS Store, Sony!

DarkJediKnight said:
Yea well, most people don't use PCs. 1080p will be the way of the future whether you want to admit it or not. Component can pass 1080p, but the real question is how many HDTVs do and will accept a 1080p signal through component? Not many. And since 50-70" tvs are now becoming affordable. I can assure you having tested the Sony 1080p 70" SXRD that there is a noticable difference between 1080i/720p and 1080p.

I'm not here to argue 360 vs Ps3. It's just that I can see where Julian is coming from. Plus, tvs supporting deep color will be coming out. HDMI 1.3 has that support, so while component is pretty much done in terms of improvements, HDMI is young and can be improved upon.

I agree that its an advantage for the PS3 to have HDMI but is it really all the important in the big picture? If not then lets stop the tech talk and talk about games for a little bit.

--

Did the interview mention anything about co-op? That could be really fun in a game like Lair.

Wollan

Well bill0527, his game has always been in 1080p and with absolutely great graphics in that resolution as well.

Ynos Yrros said:
What you gys are missing is that he isn't a native English speaker, so sometimes he doesn't exactly say what he means.
What?! Then let someone else give interviews. Besides, Eggebrecht can speak English well enough.

theBishop

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I'm not really frustrated probably because I enjoy Resistance alot right now and I always have Motorstorm JPN to fall back on, but yeah I would like to see some demo coming my way on PSN, not so much the multiplatform stuff but first-party games, I really want to see those first-party games.
Indifferent2.gif

its the lack of communication more than anything. i play my PS3 a few times a week, in fact we were just playing together an hour ago.

but like it or not, PS3 does have some issues. and sitting around waiting for Sony to get their shit together is more infuriating when they don't seem to acknowledge any shortcomings. combine that with release dates that are harder than Jell-o to nail down and it all adds up to one ticked customer.

theBishop said:
its the lack of communication more than anything. i play my PS3 a few times a week, in fact we were just playing together an hour ago.

but like it or not, PS3 does have some issues. and sitting around waiting for Sony to get their shit together is more infuriating when they don't seem to acknowledge any shortcomings. combine that with release dates that are harder than Jell-o to nail down and it all adds up to one ticked customer.

I'm starting to feel this way too, actually.

Granted, my common sense tells me "just be patient, for christ's sake", but it's hard sometimes. :D

TheJollyCorner said:
Lair seems like a really concentrated effort by Factor 5... and I highly commend them for it. I was never a Rogue Squadron fan and it's hard to say if I'll like this game or not, but they've definitely gotten my attention with the concept.
I hope it works out, because I can't think of another game on the market that's quite like it. Even from the first trailers of the dragon rider harpooning another dragon, jumping to it, killing the enemy rider, downing the enemy dragon, jumping off, and rejoining his dragon I've been intrigued. I just hope the concept doesn't get old within the first hour. :)

Lets get a playable demo in the PS Store, Sony!

Exactly! I mean the game has dragons in it. Its going to be ****ing awesome just for that reason alone!

Also I am not expecting alot of depth out of this game... but I don't think it needs it. All it needs to do is give a simple kick ass experience that will provide basic fun and replayability.

MightyHedgehog said:
What?! Then let someone else give interviews. Besides, Eggebrecht can speak English well enough.
Yes, he can speak English well enough, but when he can't find a word he switches it with another. He also uses words to try to emphasize what he is saying, without feeling the real "weight" of his words. That's why he sometimes say "We really, really needed to have HDMI, it was very special for us cause you can really see the image on it" instead of "HDMI is important for us, cause it supports wider color range".

also with the new scans showing larger 'boss' creatures it gives off a bit of a Shadow of the Colossus element, which could be absolutely amazing if Factor 5 hits the gameplay/tension/drama right.

TheJollyCorner said:
also with the new scans showing larger 'boss' creatures it gives off a bit of a Shadow of the Colossus element, which could be absolutely amazing if Factor 5 hits the gameplay/tension/drama right.

Yeah... but I am looking more forward to just trampling over thousands of tiny soldiers. Hopefully you can make your dragon pick up individual soldiers and eat them or spit them out or some shit. Kinda like Black and White or something.

There is just so many cooler possibilities with this game then Factor's previous games i.e. Star Wars.

Wollan

There was three different attacks in the demo on-ground and that was flame spray, claws (strikes) and jaws (which did namely that, bite/rip up individual soldiers). I would say that the actual ground combat was the most satisfying aspect of the TGS demo with the exception of the SIXAXIS controls walking around (which in fact was doable mind you but I was asking for stick control in that department since I played it and I'm really glad they seem to think the same now). Look forward to fighting those bull monsters in the final game. It was Awesome.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GI did I nice job with interview questions here. They hit all the points of concern about Lair right now. Reading Julian mention that the on-foot portions have "Ratchet and Clank controls" certainly put me at ease after trying to work my way through the on-foot portions of Rogue Squadron 3. And it's good to see that Julian isn't so enamored with motion controls as to try to force them on the game if they don't playtest well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
There was three different attacks in the demo on-ground and that was flame spray, claws (strikes) and jaws (which did namely that, bite/rip up individual soldiers). I would say that the actual ground combat was the most satisfying aspect of the TGS demo with the exception of the SIXAXIS controls walking around (which in fact was doable mind you but I was asking for stick control in that department since I played it and I'm really glad they seem to think the same now). Look forward to fighting those bull monsters in the final game. It was Awesome.
There was also the ability to grab ground targets while flying low, shown in at least one of the TGS videos I saw.

Wollan said:
There was three different attacks in the demo on-ground and that was flame spray, claws (strikes) and jaws (which did namely that, bite/rip up individual soldiers). I would say that the actual ground combat was the most satisfying aspect of the TGS demo with the exception of the SIXAXIS controls walking around (which in fact was doable mind you but I was asking for stick control in that department since I played it and I'm really glad they seem to think the same now).

Sounds so awesome... and yeah for some reason that aspect of the game appeals to me the most. Reeking havok on thousands of people just like in Crackdown/GTA4/Black and White/ect... always is just alot of fun.

I hope that doesn't make me a psycho for saying that lol

theBishop

Banned
i'm really looking forward to the freedom of flying around and hopefully they get the sound effects right. i want to hear the wind blow positionally to really sell the effect of flying through the clouds.

theBishop said:
i'm really looking forward to the freedom of flying around and hopefully they get the sound effects right. i want to hear the wind blow positionally to really sell the effect of flying through the clouds.

is it confirmed there will be like lightning and stuff? Imagine a ****ing blizzard in this game!

Oooh the possibilities!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shompola said:
The first good dragon themed game in 25 years? SEGA must be crying right now!
Shomp, they cover PD in the full interview. Go check it out if you're interested.

Wollan

Shompola said:
The first good dragon themed game in 25 years? SEGA must be crying right now!
I guess he meant a dragon game with a more Western dark fantasy approach as well gameplay with the focus on freedom (not a rail shooter).

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
GI did I nice job with interview questions here. They hit all the points of concern about Lair right now. Reading Julian mention that the on-foot portions have "Ratchet and Clank controls" certainly put me at ease after trying to work my way through the on-foot portions of Rogue Squadron 3. And it's good to see that Julian isn't so enamored with motion controls as to try to force them on the game if they don't playtest well.

I wonder if there's going to be exploration in knight mode and what the knight mode will entail.
Indifferent2.gif

theBishop

Banned
its also good to hear that the story is a priority for them. that was one of the biggest things i was worried about. it was looking like they were working hard on the flight mechanic only to have a fairly generic world to explore.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
I wonder if there's going to be exploration in knight mode and what the knight mode will entail.
Sounded like not really. The whole way he described the knight as more of an air force pilot than a navy seal. It sounds like there might be points where you get separated from your dragon on the ground, but not so much for exploration and rather for the simple challenge of getting back to your mount amidst the chaos.

Fatalah

It's probably a great thing for a company to make the first true hit game on the PS3. 360's lineup is stacked right now, this Lair game will get more attention on the PS3 than it would have on the 360.

When Factor5 left Nintendo, they became my enemy.

Adagio

You know...I've played games for quite some time in 480i over composite. I'll think I'll survive with component 720p.

I don't understand this "1080p & HDMI or GTFO" mentality...

Pud

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I have a HD-DVD player... and in 4-5 years HD players will cost only about $50-$100... so who cares.

Last I checked, people who care about how their money is being spent care about where their money is being spent! I still have the first DVD player I ever purchased ($250) and thanks to me making an informed purchasing decision, it still works great and plays almost every movie I've thrown at it (including anything on burned CDs/DVDs). If I were making an informed purchasing decision today about an HD format, I certainly wouldn't choose one with a dead end (aka the 360 HD-DVD player) in a few years. Money is money - I'm not poor but I always want to spend it wisely. (edit: to be honest, I wouldn't purchase either format today)

Yeah, that has nothing to do with games... but y'know what? Sony and Microsoft really aren't selling game machines. They are selling HD-do-it-all boxes that can play games, and despite the fact that Sony will likely come in last this gen (if they don't get their shit together REAL soon) at least they thought about the future when making their HD-do-it-all box. When the ICT flag starts cropping up, I'm willing to bet there are going to be more than a few angry people with a Microsoft HD-DVD player and (barring the laser assembly holding up and the format still existing) more people with PS3s continuing to use it for their movies at full HD resolution, instead of 540p. Why? It all has to do with the foresight to include HDMI 1.3.

Eggebrecht: The story almost developed at the same time as the basic concept, because when we pitched Lair to Sony, first of all it was about game mechanics. It was the, “Let’s take the strengths that we have, build on a couple of them and apply them to something that hasn’t been done before—which is a good dragon game.” As far as I know, there isn’t one out there in the 25 years of video games.

Wing War, from Imagic for the Colecovision (best version) and 2600 is a very good dragon game.

Gigglepoo

I have no doubt this game will be great.

I am so glad it is just a single player experience. So many games artificially force a multiplayer mode when none is needed. It's nice to see a really talented developer focus on one unified vision.

Plus, it has dragons.

LJ11

I'm a pessimist by nature, so I want to believe that this game will deliver but I have my doubts.

Why is Pud worried about HDMI when there's a Media Create thread up? Quick, make a pie chart before someone beats you out. ICT won't be enabled for years, no one gives a shit about your "4-5 year" timeline. Quit derailing this thread.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
GI: You announced your first game for GameCube when it was still the Dolphin named Thornado. Is that project completely dead, or is it something that you still have in mind?

Eggebrecht: I should stop the tease about that. That’s completely dead. What we are thinking about is basically with the PS3 is going back to our old Turrican games, and basically, finally doing something like that but in 3D. That’s finally going through.

GI: The old Commodore crowd is going to be so happy to hear about that—that’s awesome.

Eggebrecht: Yeah (laughs).

Am I like totally misreading that, or is that really an "oh snap" moment, atleast for some of us.

Top Bottom