• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer - Factor 5 Q&A (Lair in Optimization)

jett

D-Member
What was a killer for me was no HDMI. We had huge fights with Microsoft basically going back and forth about, “Please, please, please, please put an HDMI port in there, because only then can you really see the graphics,”

I wonder what the **** I've been playing all these years. I guess I imagined it all. :|

They talk an awful good one but what I have seen of LAIR so far looks like poop. They need to put up or shut up IMO. Especially when they are spewing a ton of PR speak.

Mark Gonzales said:
They talk an awful good one but what I have seen of LAIR so far looks like poop. They need to put up or shut up IMO. Especially when they are spewing a ton of PR speak.

And I get banned for a 1 month for "ad hominem" attacks while these kinds of posts are allowed...
lame!

Doom_Bringer said:
And I get banned for a 1 month for "ad hominem" attacks while these kinds of posts are allowed...
lame!

Why? Because i'm not impressed by what i've seen of Lair and that I know his HDMI talk was pure rubbish.

pr0cs

WulleWulle said:
HDMI = Copy Protection Bus for content owners, nothing more.

pretty much, it's laughable that he even suggests that you need this sort of connection to make his game great. That's the part that smacks of PR puppet propaganda.

Mark Gonzales said:

Er, I'm not sure I've seen any next-gen developer approach what Factor 5 is doing with Lair. Artistic preference, we'll leave that to personal opinion for now. But in terms of what they are doing on a technological level, it seems pretty damned impressive to me. Yeah, it lacks polish, but then it has yet to be demonstrated in its final form.

That said, I am getting a bit tired of seeing established developers lower themselves to the PR crap. There were a few instances where it was clear that even Ted Price was reading from the preferred PR sheet, and that's a shame. All the Factor 5 guys need to say is that being dudes who relish technological challenges, the PS3 is the platform for them. Just about every developer who'd know has claimed that the system does have more power, it's only a matter of it being worth extracting that power or not. To a company like F5, that's a bit of a non-issue, and I doubt anyone would call BS on them if they said that straight up.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Wow i just read 3 pages about HDMI vs Component. Anyways....about the actual game....

Game is going to be awesome...CES demo was so much fun...it handled good but the framerate was lacking hardcore. Hopefully they iron that out in the last 10%-20% left...heh.

Geoff9920

Mark Gonzales said:
You can only do 1080p via HDMI. That's news to me. Thats for dropping that jewel.
There are several HDTV's that can handle 1080p over component, but the majority HDTV's can't.

Anyway, interesting interview.

Wollan

Mark Gonzales said:
You can only do 1080p via HDMI. That's news to me. Thats for dropping that jewel.

Numbers of TV's accepting 1080p through Component <<<<<<<< 1080p through HDMI

If you're serious about 1080p you need at least HDMI, preferably both.

theBishop

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:
Wow i just read 3 pages about HDMI vs Component. Anyways....about the actual game....

Game is going to be awesome...CES demo was so much fun...it handled good but the framerate was lacking hardcore. Hopefully they iron that out in the last 10%-20% left...heh.

Factor5 needs to take their cues from Evolution Studios. The retail demo vs the Japanese release was night-and-day improved in just a few weeks.

rage1973

[CFD] El Capitan said:

When I saw the game at CES It appeared to be running somewhere around 10 to 15 FPS. I just hope they can iron this out and make the control scheme very tight and they should have a good game.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
theBishop said:
Factor5 needs to take their cues from Evolution Studios. The retail demo vs the Japanese release was night-and-day improved in just a few weeks.

No joke! Hopefully we get a (much improved) demo soon.

rage1973 said:
When I saw the game at CES It appeared to be running somewhere around 10 to 15 FPS. I just hope they can iron this out and make the control scheme very tight and they should have a good game.

What did you think of the controls? I thought they were interesting but it took me a bit to get used to the ground controls when you land and stomp on everything...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Factor 5 is most credited for their achievements in visuals, so is it really any wonder that they'd put a high premium on 1080p and HDMI? I assume the reason why some of you are getting pissy about that is because you perceive a slight deliberately aimed at the 360 by saying it. But the fact of the matter is that F5 is a company that focuses the majority of their effort on one platform and so they were going to end up making a decision one way or another that favored one platform and largely excluding the others. All he's doing is giving you insight into how they went about making their decision.

RamzaIsCool said:
Seriously, is the dude hinting at a next gen Turrican?
He seems to be doing more than hinting.

Gattsu25

Banned
Eggebrecht: in the context of what I mentioned there, which was EDI titles specifically for the first-party initiative, I don’t think that the current thinking from Phil Harrison is that under the worldwide studios umbrella he wants to see too many straight ported older titles. Having said that though, you’ve seen Midway’s announcement. The network platform is open to everybody, so there are other routes of releasing that content on network platform, and I’m sure that it’s going to come. We have been in some talks about rereleasing some of our old Turrican titles for the platform, but nothing’s been finished yet. I’d love to do it.

HOLLY ****!!

theBishop

Banned
kaching said:
All he's doing is giving you insight into how they went about making their decision.

... and all some of the posters are doing is calling him an idiot for how he went about making the decision.

Geoff9920

kaching said:
Factor 5 is most credited for their achievements in visuals, so is it really any wonder that they'd put a high premium on 1080p and HDMI? I assume the reason why some of you are getting pissy about that is because you perceive a slight deliberately aimed at the 360 by saying it. But the fact of the matter is that F5 is a company that focuses the majority of their effort on one platform and so they were going to end up making a decision one way or another that favored one platform and largely excluding the others. All he's doing is giving you insight into how they went about making their decision.
Personally, I'm not surprised at all. They've always been about pushing A/V side of gaming.

Doom_Bringer said:
lame!

If you can't distinguish between what he said and an ad hominem attack, perhaps you didn't learn your lesson during the ban.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kaching said:
GI did I nice job with interview questions here. They hit all the points of concern about Lair right now.
They should have asked about the framerate though, and whether it will be better in 720p than it is in 1080p. That's actually my biggest concern about the game, from the visual standpoint.

JB1981

Marconelly said:
They should have asked about the framerate though, and whether it will be better in 720p than it is in 1080p. That's actually my biggest concern about the game, from the visual standpoint.

chriskzoo

Banned
Wollan said:
Numbers of TV's accepting 1080p through Component <<<<<<<< 1080p through HDMI

If you're serious about 1080p you need at least HDMI, preferably both.

Thank you! I have one of the few that does 1080p over component (Samsung LN-S4095D) and am grateful for it. That being said, some devices look better over 1080p on component (like my Comcast HD box) and some better over HDMI - PS3.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I really, really want this game to be fun. The idea of flying a dragon and battling other dragons in epic air-to-air battles sounds amazing. It is an organic flight game where the object is to smash into things rather than avoid them. Beautiful.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
theBishop said:
... and all some of the posters are doing is calling him an idiot for how he went about making the decision.
He would have been called an idiot regardless because his studio's decision boiled down to favoring one plaform over the others. And I don't think anyone participating in this discussion so far really has an honest, accurate notion of just what devs can do when they fully optimize for 1080p and HDMI specs.

kevm3

I remember Julian also talking about the SixAxis as well. He's really been asking for motion-sensing in a control. PS3 offered not only the graphical prowess he desired, but also the controller.

I think it is unfair at the moment to judge Lair just by the bridge scene we've seen. That's probably one of the most unimpressive areas of the game. Just look at how jaws dropped when that huge flying worm was shown in those screens. Let's see areas like that in motion before we proclaim Lair as a graphical dud.

Draft

kaching said:
He would have been called an idiot regardless because his studio's decision boiled down to favoring one plaform over the others. And I don't think anyone participating in this discussion so far really has an honest, accurate notion of just what devs can do when they fully optimize for 1080p and HDMI specs.
As a PC gamer, I am well aware of what devs can do at 1080p. It's a lot like what they can do at 480p, only more detailed.

theBishop

Banned
kevm3 said:
I remember Julian also talking about the SixAxis as well. He's really been asking for motion-sensing in a control. PS3 offered not only the graphical prowess he desired, but also the controller.

I think it is unfair at the moment to judge Lair just by the bridge scene we've seen. That's probably one of the most unimpressive areas of the game. Just look at how jaws dropped when that huge flying worm was shown in those screens. Let's see areas like that in motion before we proclaim Lair as a graphical dud.

its ridiculous to even call the bridge level a "graphical dud". If the frame rate were smooth, that level would be pretty incredible.

But yeah, that Game Informer preview a few weeks ago said there would be lots of different scenarios, jungles, deserts, etc.

kaching said:
Factor 5 is most credited for their achievements in visuals, so is it really any wonder that they'd put a high premium on 1080p and HDMI? I assume the reason why some of you are getting pissy about that is because you perceive a slight deliberately aimed at the 360 by saying it.

I just think it's hilarious that in his rush to be partisan he burned Resistance and Motorstorm.

Marvel Ultimate? That's high-def. Motorstorm? Not high def. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Draft said:
As a PC gamer, I am well aware of what devs can do at 1080p. It's a lot like what they can do at 480p, only more detailed.
So how many PC devs have actually built art and assets with 1080p in mind as the baseline resolution for their games? That's a bit different from the player just cranking up the resolution on their side.

beermonkey@tehbias.net said:
I just think it's hilarious that in his rush to be partisan he burned Resistance and Motorstorm.

Marvel Ultimate? That's high-def. Motorstorm? Not high def.
You got it dude, he'd draw no distinction between games that design assets for 1080p resolution and games that simply scale to 1080p. And he'd also make no allowances for launch software. Resistance is just as bad in his mind as Wii games that can't even achieve visuals like some of the better GC/Xbox games.

kaching said:
You got it dude, he'd draw no distinction between games that design assets for 1080p resolution and games that simply scale to 1080p. And he'd also make no allowances for launch software.

Hey, he's the one saying silly stuff. If 720p is not high def, then the PS3 games with the best visual released so far are the ones that are not high def.

So at what point do we exit the window for 'launch titles', and all 'high def' PS3 games have to be 1080p (real 1080p, not 960x1080p, that's only 12.5% more resolution than 720p)?

If Resistance 2 isn't 1920x1080p, it should be criticized for it, right? :lol

What a load.

wazoo

They should have asked

"Did you see the Pegasus GOW2 video ?? At some point, I thought it was a targer render for Lair"

rage1973

[QUOTE='[CFD] What did you think of the controls? I thought they were interesting but it took me a bit to get used to the ground controls when you land and stomp on everything...[/QUOTE]
I never actually played the game but I saw someone play it for about 5 mins and he never played on foot. The guy said the control took a while to get used but I am not sure if he was a gamer per se.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
rage1973 said:
I never actually played the game but I saw someone play it for about 5 mins and he never played on foot. The guy said the control took a while to get used but I am not sure if he was a gamer per se.

Awww dang! You shoulda waited in line to play! It wasnt that long....i probably cut by accident though because there wasnt much of a "line"...more like...whoever was standing next to the last guy that put down the controller was next.

DenogginizerOS said:
I really, really want this game to be fun. The idea of flying a dragon and battling other dragons in epic air-to-air battles sounds amazing. It is an organic flight game where the object is to smash into things rather than avoid them. Beautiful.

hmmm, I really hope it comes together though. Im pretty much buying this game, but I really need to see a bit more. They need to at least put out a badass trailer showing some more environments and the depth of the combat system.

peace

Draft

kaching said:
So how many PC devs have actually built art and assets with 1080p in mind as the baseline resolution for their games? That's a bit different from the player just cranking up the resolution on their side.
All of them. It's one of the reasons I laugh at the notion that hi-def is going to make game development costs explode. PC games ahve been developed with hi-def textures for a decade.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hey, he's the one saying silly stuff.
The only thing that's silly here is the absolutist interpretation you're forcing on his comments. They made a determination based on the render targets they personally wanted to achieve and the paper specs and other info platform owners were willing to give them at the time F5 was beginning to do its next gen planning. He's not passing judgment on any individual game here, he's just explaining how MS's position on 1080p and HDMI for general 360 platform development influenced their own decision towards that platform. He also credits MS with having revisited that previous stance and found a clever resolution so that games can at least 0support 1080p if they choose.

Draft said:
All of them. It's one of the reasons I laugh at the notion that hi-def is going to make game development costs explode. PC games ahve been developed with hi-def textures for a decade.
There's more to building a game expressly with 1080p as the baseline than just hi-def textures, it would impact other areas of the rendering engine as well. So which developers are actually testing their games primarily at 1080p resolution throughout the development cycle?

Draft

kaching said:
There's more to building a game expressly with 1080p as the baseline than just hi-def textures, it would impact other areas of the rendering engine as well. So which developers are actually testing their games primarily at 1080p resolution throughout the development cycle?
I really don't know what you're saying. Every PC game released in the last 5 years has been playable at 1600x1200, which is pretty friggen close to 1920x1280. Never, in all my years of PC gaming, have I heard of game "breaking" because someone tried to run it at 1600x1200. Performance issues aside, it's just like running it at 640x480. I think the onus is on you to provide some sort of example of 1080p having any kind of effect on game development.

ELS-01X

Banned
Good to hear they're finally optimizing the engine. Hope they achieve stable 30 fps, because if so, best console graphics ever.

Top Bottom