• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Hands-On With Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus (+ off-screen shots)

Koozek

I might be wrong, but the combat looks more responsive? It seems too easy though, I hope they ramp up the difficulty later on in the dlc. And yeah, the presentation looks much less amateurish than in the base game. I'm cautiously optimistic for this and the other episodes, I'll probably buy them when they're all released if they're any good.

Liking that battle theme, sounds like something from Crisis Core, fits Gladio pretty well.
Nah, sounds corny and it's especially annoying because of the inelegant approach of playing the battle-theme right from the start again even when the last battle was just a few seconds ago. They really should've thought about a more dynamic, varied system (e.g. different starting points per song that cycle through for each battle).

evolve9

Nah, sounds corny

Well, I said it fits Gladio :p

Anyway, I agree about the inelegance being a problem, they could've made a better job of making the song more seamless but I like it in it's corny "badass" glory. It certainly does not come close to the base game's battle themes though (the Cleigne one gives me literal orgasms).

True Fire

Those 15 minutes looked kinda mediocre. If it's a 3 hour DLC I'm hoping there's some... you know, plot. Besides walking down a hallway and button mashing skeletons.

"I want to get stronger" is the least interesting motivation Tabata could have thought of. It's very anime. Final Fantasy characters have had complex motivations from the very beginning, so it's disappointing

Those 15 minutes looked kinda mediocre. If it's a 3 hour DLC I'm hoping there's some... you know, plot. Besides walking down a hallway and button mashing skeletons.

"I want to get stronger" is the least interesting motivation Tabata could have thought of. It's very anime. Final Fantasy characters have had complex motivations from the very beginning, so it's disappointing

Should've been a 2 hour ad for Cup Noodles.

Yeah, seems somehow like you go down a corridor button mashing same looking (and recycled) enemies with the same combos. I'm not complaining though for 5$ worth of content, I'm sure story-wise they will give us enough backstory for Cor and Gladio that it would be worth it in the end.

Philippo

Do we know if they plan to eventually add playable Gladio/Iggy/Prompto to the base game, or its going to remain a DLC thing only?

Teletraan1

Banned
Now if they only would have let you switch characters during the actual game with those movesets and differences the combat would have felt a lot better for a party RPG. But we got this kind of shit instead.

Koozek

wow, also a much better player. A varied use of combos and skills; loved the counter Gladio did where he swung the enemy and killed two others at the same time. Really looking forward for this.
Problem is that you're not really required to utilize the combat mechanics if you can just button-mash like in the other video from the OP. There should've been more penalty for being attacked without guarding. But then they would've had to change the battle-system, e.g. making enemies telegraph their attacks clearly or not having 10 enemies attack all at once even from outside of your view (see Nier and other Platinum games) etc. To be fair, 4 months since release is not enough to make fundamental changes to the combat like that. Though, it seems most of these enemies are new for the DLC so they could've approached the attack animations differently.

We'll see. Maybe the rest of the DLC is more interesting gameplay-wise.

EDIT: Okay, watching this a bit more, the bossfight against the one-handed boss seems a bit better. I generally would've liked more 1-on-1 battles in FFXV.

Toth

Do we know if they plan to eventually add playable Gladio/Iggy/Prompto to the base game, or its going to remain a DLC thing only?

Tabata said at the last ATR that they would be a playable Gladio section in Chapter 13. We'll see soon.

Desi

Problem is that you're not really required to utilize the combat mechanics if you can just button-mash like in the other video from the OP. There should've been more penalty for being attacked without guarding. But then they would've had to change the battle-system, e.g. making enemies telegraph their attacks clearly or not having 10 enemies attack all at once even from outside of your view (see Nier and other Platinum games) etc..
I see where you are coming from but I don't agree. I enjoy taking multiple approaches to the combat. The first video also showed the player taking a lot more damage, I don't even know if he successfully blocked an enemy during the whole 15 minutes.

Top Bottom