• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Hideo Kojima interview

GI: Finally, are the online features of Subsistence a hint of what we can expect in MGS4?

Kojima: Yes, it will be. Subsistence is restricted to the PlayStation 2 format, meaning the PlayStation 2 online. It’s within that world. In Metal Gear Solid 4 we will make that wider and much deeper. In Metal Gear Solid 4, we will not be restricted to eight players. So you can probably look forward to having wider and deeper online in Metal Gear Solid 4.

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20041116023656838.jpg

Here's hoping she's a playable character in the online mode for MGS4. That'll hold me off till Kojima is convinced that turning her mission with the Cobras into a MG is a good idea. :)

J2 Cool

TheJollyCorner said:
other than adjusting a gameplay perspective and adding QTE's, what actually did RE4 do?

Create some of the most intense situations a game has ever seen. Possibly the first truly dread in a zombie game, which all the movies have, is the scene in the boarded up house. Multiple floors, unending ammount of zombies piling in through windows on ladders. Ammo just being pumped into em. That situation along with at least a dozen others, with a rollercoaster like pacing between. QTE and gameplay perspective were just tools that stitched the game's smooth gameplay together. Not to mention awesome bosses throughout, and insane graphics.

The real question is what didn't RE4 do actually? The answer to that, and only real flaws, are a cheesier/cheap/less-scary action-esque story. It kind of lead to a lack of an emotional attachment that would have had me play the game for longer stretches of time than I did. As is though, I'd enjoy myself for 2-3 hours at a time of action filled gameplay, and come back for another chunk later. Awesome game.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I really hope Raiden plays a big part in the game, i just dont dig old snake. He will have lost everything that makes him who he is in my opinion. I dont dig sam fisher either.

Ryudo said:
I really hope Raiden plays a big part in the game, i just dont dig old snake. He will have lost everything that makes him who he is in my opinion. I dont dig sam fisher either.
Would be much better if he just lost the creepy mustache.

As for Kojima's Revolution title, I'd expect something along the lines of Boktai. A game with a singular concept of using the controller a specific way (like the light sensor in Boktai). Other than that, who knows, maybe it's a game where you play as the little metal gear with the video screen, following Solid Snake around on a mission. That could be kind of cool actually.

alright, i take it back. Kojima doesn't make amazing games after all. so his Revolution game should suck like all his others.

edit: oh, and the fact that MGS4 takes place in the middle of a battlefield just has me... well, that game is gonna be something else man. without a doubt, it's gonna be one of the most immersive experiences any of us ever go through. videogames or not.

phantomile co. said:
Kojima's Revolution game will change the entire industry.

It'll depend on how much involvement he really has in it. He hasn't actually directed a non MG game since the Solid series began, because he doesn't want anything distracting him from making them as good as possible. Like that upcoming PSP game, he came up with the concept but he's not going to direct it.

J2 Cool said:
Someone's been living in a box since Ocarina of Time. :lol

Im sorry but you want to compare Kojima's work with Miyamoto one???that's just wrong.....Kojima is good but he's been stuck with MGS franchise because like this interview says you've been sending him mails for his contract to life with the damn franchise.....let him do other things......

Bluemercury said:
Im sorry but you want to compare Kojima's work with Miyamoto one???that's just wrong.....Kojima is good but he's been stuck with MGS franchise because like this interview says you've been sending him mails for his contract to life with the damn franchise.....let him do other things......

He's not stuck with it. People are ok with him directing other games, they just aren't ok with other people directing MG's.

SolidSnakex said:
It'll depend on how much involvement he really has in it. He hasn't actually directed a non MG game since the Solid series began, because he doesn't want anything distracting him from making them as good as possible. Like that upcoming PSP game, he came up with the concept but he's not going to direct it.
i was gonna bust out a Breath Assure picture, but google didn't bust anything out.

in anycase, give homie benefit of the doubt, and im sure you'll be quite pleased. has he let you down yet?

phantomile co. said:
i was gonna bust out a Breath Assure picture, but google didn't bust anything out.

in anycase, give homie benefit of the doubt, and im sure you'll be quite pleased. has he let you down yet?

Definetly not. I'm just saying there's a pretty big difference between a game he directs in comparison to a game he comes up with concept for and possibly produces. I'd actually like to see him direct a Rev game just to see what he can do. Just not till he's finished with MGS4. :)

SolidSnakex said:
Definetly not. I'm just saying there's a pretty big difference between a game he directs in comparison to a game he comes up with concept for and possibly produces.
no arguing with that.

SolidSnakex said:
I'd actually like to see him direct a Rev game just to see what he can do. Just not till he's finished with MGS4. :)
seems to be the plan.

look like we're all kings today gentlemen.

DSN2K said:
what a great interview, asked the right questions for everything.
not quite.

i've yet to see anyone ask Kojima what he thinks of Electronic. Kasavin, hopefully you ask him this next time you get a chance. i know you're down with those types of questions.

i know i sure as hell would. but only because we're all big Joy Division fans.

phantomile co. said:
not quite.

i've yet to see anyone ask Kojima what he thinks of Electronic. Kasavin, hopefully you ask him this next time you get a chance. i know i sure as hell will.

Electronic?

His music stories are pretty funny. He mentioned that he found the end theme to MGS3 (Starsailors "Way to Fall") because he misunderstood someone when they suggested he check out Stellastar and he picked up Starsailors album instead.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
CVXFREAK said:
I wonder what it'll be...

Kojima:
If the hardware will not take us to the next level in games, we thought that we had to set ourselves to the higher level on the game side. Of course, Revolution is an exception because it’s totally different hardware. That’s why we had the idea of concentrating on what you cannot see.

What does that last line mean in relation to the Rev line?

... think it implies the theme or direction of the game is focusing on what you cannot see?
Is he being metaphorical or literal?

That could be very interesting.

John Harker said:
Kojima:

What does that last line mean in relation to the Rev line?

... think it implies the theme or direction of the game is focusing on what you cannot see?
Is he being metaphorical or literal?

That could be very interesting.

If that was in reference to the Rev game, you'll likely find out what he's talking about with MGS4 because he's been hyping doing things you can't see since it was unveiled.

John Harker

phantomile co. said:
that last line seems to definitely go back to MGS4.

Yea, I agree he's referencing MGS4 too, but if that is something he really wants to focus on and to explore, it seems he is going to further expand on it with his Rev project.

It could just be a new direction for him. He always throws out this odd little themes for his games, like his "no place to hide" bit and develpoping gameplay scenarios around that.

Maybe the Rev gave him this 'things you cannot see idea' and he's expanding upon it on this project.

I don't know, at least if you read that sentance for what it is, the argument can be made.

ThirdEye

John Harker said:
Yea, I agree he's referencing MGS4 too, but if that is something he really wants to focus on and to explore, it seems he is going to further expand on it with his Rev project.
No, it's defintely about MGS4 and PS3. That's what he'd been saying when asked about MGS4 before its unveiling at TGS. In this new interview, he mentions it like this
Like, for instance, look at a jungle. In the past, if we made a jungle, it was just a set. The trees were plastic. We could make the trees prettier, or make more plastic trees to look like real jungles. Or make the details more intense. But plastic will remain plastic, and this is what I don’t want to do. There should be life in that tree. If we water the tree it will grow, if we burn the tree it will die. So I wanted to create this kind of simulation world. And this is what we want to do, and I don’t know how much we can actually do it, but this is the direction of what we want to do.

What actually worries me is that if we actually try to do this, it might take up a lot of CPU power, meaning the visual side might not be the up to the standard of what the users expect. So, we will always think about the balance of what we can see and what we can’t see.

However, it’s a next-gen platform. The users will expect upgraded graphics and sound, so that was another answer to the TGS trailer. It was expressing that we will go up to this kind of level standard. Of course, that was not the completed version, so we will go even higher. However, that is the level that Kojima productions will produce in Metal Gear Solid 4. After that, we will concentrate on the things you cannot see.
This "lot of CPU power" to realize "what you cannot see" is not available in other platforms.

John Harker

ThirdEye said:
No, it's defintely about MGS4 and PS3. That's what he'd been saying when asked about MGS4 before its unveiling at TGS. In this new interview, he mentions it like this
This "lot of CPU power" to realize "what you cannot see" is not available in other platforms.

I can play the Bold Game too!

If the hardware will not take us to the next level in games, we thought that we had to set ourselves to the higher level on the game side. Of course, Revolution is an exception because it’s totally different hardware. That’s why we had the idea of concentrating on what you cannot see.

... I'm not saying your wrong, I agree with you.
But that doesn't mean he can't take the same theme and apply it differently on two different projects. I mean, its not like we have any other clue about the project. At least he confirmed it though.

John Harker said:

It could just be a new direction for him. He always throws out this odd little themes for his games, like his "no place to hide" bit and develpoping gameplay scenarios around that.

Maybe the Rev gave him this 'things you cannot see idea' and he's expanding upon it on this project.

I don't know, at least if you read that sentance for what it is, the argument can be made.

Kojima's whole "things you cant see" schtick is basically him inferring how he wants to employ more advanced physics and AI systems to simulate game worlds in greater detail, "beyond just movie sets". Thats pretty obvious when he states his worry that it will require a lot of CPU power, which means some graphical detail (ie the movie set) may have to be sacrificed a bit to achieve results, and how they'll have to balance out these two aspects in their design.

At least thats the gist Im getting. ;)

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Kojima's whole "things you cant see" schtick is basically him inferring how he wants to employ more advanced physics and AI systems to simulate game worlds in greater detail, "beyond just movie sets". Thats pretty obvious when he states his worry that it will require a lot of CPU power, which means some graphical detail (ie the movie set) may have to be sacrificed a bit to achieve results, and how they'll have to balance out these two aspects in their design.

At least thats the gist Im getting. ;)

Ya I agree with this. Destructible environments, interactive physics, facial expressions instead of "!" "?" etc

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

Yah that's basically it. It does seem like the TGS trailer was the minimum of what he expects it to look like graphically. So even with the AI routines and such he feels it'll look better by the time its complete. The "things you can't see" part won't show up until next TGS according to Kojima so it looks like the E3 trailer will be story focused. Probably more along the lines of the E3 2000 trailer of MGS2 instead of the E3 2003 trailer of MGS3.

Top Bottom