• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer January cover - No Man's Sky

Some of you ripping PartTimeWarrior apart for not liking No Man's Sky...
TIXWapu.gif

I'm intrigued by it, you're intrigued by it, so what if someone else isn't?

Soma

Well deserved cover feature.

NMS has so much potential and it's good to see that the developers realize just how much is riding on the expectations for this game.

Grief.exe

Is it weird that a Gamestop magazine has a cover feature for a game with no retail release and that it presumably can't even sell?

Gamestop does sell Steam Wallet and Playstation Store Gift Cards. So, in a convoluted way, they can still potentially make money.

I know I'm probably wrong, but there's multiple ships on that cover...and they don't seem to be enemies. Group exploration with friends maybe??

Unless they've changed plans since last time they have said the multiplayer is more like Journey where there's a chance (extremely small) that you might be exploring and find another explorer nearby. But the universe is so vast it's unlikely.

So what you see is more likely AI companions, as a part of the game is that you can attack/defend the organization/guilds at wars and they join your side during those battles.

Also unrelated but what are the chances I can use the Interstellar theme while playing this game?

Hugstable

Banned
This is such a cool looking game I do not understand how people hate it. If anything it will help drive the industry forward.

I don't believe they can fill up these worlds with interesting content. It's not that I hate it at all, it's that I'm very skeptical. I mean huge AAA teams have issues filling up their open worlds with interesting content, how am I supposed to believe that some incredibly small team is gonna make a world insanely bigger than all those other open world games and actually fill it with content that is fun to play. If all I'm doing is flying around with nothing to do, I'm gonna get bored within like 30 minutes. As I said, I would more than love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see the hype.

Amir0x

Banned
All these good games coming soon and the pick No Man's Sky?

so what's the final game like anyway? Everyone quoted you but nobody asked how your hands on experience went

Rime on the cover of Edge and NMS on the cover of GI. Suck it, indie haters.

hahaha, so fucking true. I bathe in their tears. OM NOM NOM

tringworldso said:
I'm intrigued by it, you're intrigued by it, so what if someone else isn't?

You can be not intrigued by it without making ridiculous proclamations about the quality of a product you never played before.

Since we're on the topic of No Man's Sky, I'd recommend anyone who has 40 minutes free to watch this chat between Ted Price (Insomniac CEO) and Sean Murray, I found it extremely interesting back when I first watched it.

Link.

I'm...excited for it, but cautiously. I'm a big story/narrative guy, I want exposition and driving factors for exploring and doing things. I'm afraid of another Destiny, which, while I enjoyed it, I ultimately became apathetic and bored after completing the "story".

Some Nobody

All these NMS fans are killing me. Let's see if I can express this opinion without 50+ replies of "omg worst post ever/you just hate indies":

All these developers working on games we don't know about, and Game Informer's choice is a title revealed a year ago? Wow.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is my sci-fi game of choice anyway. Procedurally generated games can suck it.

I'm...excited for it, but cautiously. I'm a big story/narrative guy, I want exposition and driving factors for exploring and doing things. I'm afraid of another Destiny, which, while I enjoyed it, I ultimately became apathetic and bored after completing the "story".

I mean, we don't know much, so this is just speculation, but I imagined No Man's Sky as more Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound in the sense it's just about exploration.

I didn't picture it having a story mode, unless Hello Games has said otherwise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's crazy, I'm just assuming that they didn't want to cover PC exclusives. I can get behind the No Man's Sky hype train but those games+Starsector are where the scifi is in gaming right now.

Man I bought into the alpha of Starsector like 500 years ago (back when it was called Starfarer) and it feels like they've made almost no progress in that time. I hope it turns out well, the core combat engine is great.

No mans sky will be a letdown for a lot of the hypetrain. If the worlds arent rigged and are truly random, you will have an empty experience. If the worlds are rigged to have interesting things, the players have been strung along on promises of grandeur and memorable encounters that are ultimately not unique to the player.

It was good to see ship gameplay with other large starships, but I remain skeptical.

legacyzero

Banned
Emergent gameplay is a powerful thing. I need those things, too. But when I played Minecraft for the first time, it literally drained my weekend dry.

The exposition and driving factors were the GAMEPLAY. It was an addiction for me.

Nokterian

Like a other gaffer said it's like minecraft/terraria/starbound it's about exploration. Nothing compared to a game like destiny where your ship is loading screen and this is a ship that you can fly out of orbit and land on other planets.

ObiDin

I feel like everyone's hyping/ giving this game large amounts of exposure but I still don't know anything about it besides the procedurally generated stuff and exploring? Is there anything like sorry wise or stuff to do other then wander? It sure looks awesome but I still feel clueless about it

This. What is the gameplay? Is it just an exploration game? It's intriguing because of the visual style and the original video of walking around a planet and then taking off into space all in real time, but what is the story/motivation?

I mean, we don't know much, so this is just speculation, but I imagined No Man's Sky as more Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound in the sense it's just about exploration.

That's what I've gathered too. I hope it does well for anyone in that crowd, it certainly looks very pretty and going from planet to planet to outer space seamlessly is incredible.

Amir0x

Banned

It has a narrative. There is something going on in the center of the galaxy, and the goal of the game is to try to make it to the center. But the closer you get to the center, the more difficult the game becomes - planets become more hostile, enemy ships are in greater numbers, etc.

They've been extremely up front about how the game works too. For example, just like the real galaxy most of the planets are dead (in this game, the number is 90%) and good for little more than mining materials/minerals/items for your purposes. But 10% of the planets will have life or civilization or other cool things.

All these NMS fans are killing me. Let's see if I can express this opinion without 50+ replies of "omg worst post ever/you just hate indies":

All these developers working on games we don't know about, and Game Informer's choice is a title revealed a year ago? Wow.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is my sci-fi game of choice anyway. Procedurally generated games can suck it.

He could have worded the first post way differently and people wouldn't be up in arms. But just like he can have the opinion that No Man's Sky, a game with a lot of hype but little footage, is a "bad game" we can call him out on it. You could say "I don't see the hype and personally I think there are better choices out there for a sci-fi cover". But he didn't say that.

This is how Sean described the player motivation/story

“There’s really two answers to that,” Sean explains. “The short answer is ‘you make your own story’. I think it’s nice to play something that frees you from missions and quests. “But there’s a longer answer. There are core concepts that will drive the player on: you’ll start on the edge of space, on a totally unique planet and you’ll make your way towards the centre of the galaxy – there’s a reason to do that, but we’re not ready to talk about it yet. As you get further in to the galaxy, things will get more dangerous… but also more interesting and rewarding.”

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/09/01/interview-youll-want-explore-vast-galaxy-mans-sky/

diaspora

so what's the final game like anyway? Everyone quoted you but nobody asked how your hands on experience went

hahaha, so fucking true. I bathe in their tears. OM NOM NOM

You can be not intrigued by it without making ridiculous proclamations about the quality of a product you never played before.

He's not saying it's bad as much as he's wishing other games to be showcased over it.

Robaperas

If NMS delivers on the exploration side, I'll be more than happy; also this new footage delivered on goosebumps, that's for sure.

bombshell

Looks like a terrible game to me too, but people have convinced themselves it will be good. That's worth a cover. Next year's Destiny for sure, minus the solid gunplay.

We are comparing Destiny and No Man's Sky now...? A game made by ~50 times as many people...

Tigress

All these good games coming soon and the pick No Man's Sky?

Well this is a case where the first post wasn't the best post...

Anyways, as some one who doesn't usually follow this magazine, where would I go to be able to read their article on it and does it come out January or do they put it out before the month the issue is out.

I would love to read this article.

TheYoungLion

Neo Member
I never realized how submissive the gaming community was until I started reading comments on this game. Ever since I started playing games this was the game I wanted. Something to escape reality, explore, and forge my own path in a way that feels meaningful to myself and said universe. I feel like this is going to be the first real "new gen" game.

Paskil

I like what I've seen of this game so far, and am hyped for it. However, I ultimately have to reserve judgment since I have no idea what the game will actually be.

Get_crazy

Banned
Wow... why is there so much saltiness in this thread?!

No Man's Sky looks f*cking great. I love the concept and art style. Can't wait to know more about this.

Im pretty much over my skepticism phase

I just want to play it at this point

Either go dark or give us a release date. The media has been dangling this game a bit more than Sean should have allowed but it does sound like they are getting close to release for 2015

Gaz_RB

No mans sky will be a letdown for a lot of the hypetrain. If the worlds arent rigged and are truly random, you will have an empty experience. If the worlds are rigged to have interesting things, the players have been strung along on promises of grandeur and memorable encounters that are ultimately not unique to the player.

It was good to see ship gameplay with other large starships, but I remain skeptical.
Even if the worlds don't have super interesting stuff, it will be awesome to just fly around and see the varied terrain. I don't think I can be disappointed unless the core of the game they've been showing has been completely fabricated and its actually a corridor shooter.

Rflagg

The closest I have seen them get to saying it has a story, was saying we would have a reason to want to go towards the center of the universe ( I don't remember the exact quote sorry). To me it has sounded like it has some light crafting/better ship elements with a huge dose of exploration which suits me just fine even though I usually prefer games with a (hopefully epic) story. I am enjoying the heck of out Minecraft even though it has no story at all. :)

Man, this game is such a mystery. I dunno if that's a good thing in todays 'Gotta know everything about the game before it's out' world, or a bad thing. I still want it!

Even if the worlds don't have super interesting stuff, it will be awesome to just fly around and see the varied terrain. I don't think I can be disappointed unless the core of the game they've been showing has been completely fabricated and its actually a corridor shooter.

That sounds like it would become dull incredibly quickly. Look, this planet has mountains, but this one has orange trees! How many times can you do that before you get sick of it? 10 times? 20 times?

Top Bottom