• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer July cover story: Halo 5 [Up: Character Shots]

Updated #3

In Summary

Story

- Solo Players accompanied by a team of 3 other Spartans from Blue Team, ability to give basic squad order ala Republic Commando.
- Drop in/Drop Out online coop
- GI played only the second mission titled ‘Blue Team’
- All Spartan abilities available in MP also present in SP
- Second Level ends (GI gets to play only 1/3 of the level, thanks Welfare) with Chief
dreaming
- Your teammates can revive you, even in single player.
- You can command them to do a bunch of things such as target specific enemies, pick up specific weapons, use a turret etc.
- There will be multiple ways to complete a mission. In the example you could kill everyone, enable some turrets to help you out, go find a generator and destroy it etc.
- There will be multiple side routes so it won't be completely linear, as in you can sneak through a vent Deus Ex style and go a different route.
- Locke's team has a Artermis Tracking System (ATS). (Visor mode?)
- Difficulty scales by the Number of Players.
- Chief has to deal with the loss of
Cortana fom 4 and the 'ghost of Cortana' in 5
- Has alternate paths in campaign levels
- In coop each player is a different member of Blue Team, and players start with different loadouts, plus the final game will have different huds for each character
- Split screen not supported
- Xbox Live Gold for online co-op not needed.

MP

- Game will launch with over 20 maps (unknown how many are forge variants), their plan is to add 15 more by June 2016
- ALL DLC TO BE FREE
- Empire has been tweaked substantially since the beta
- A brand new underwater map revelead called Fathom, is symmetrical.
- BTB to be revealed at E3, or rather a ‘new epic multiplayer experience’, (please be Battlefield Halo).

Thanks Jem and Jumper (sound like 90's hip hop duo)

solis74

Updated #3

In Summary

Story

- Solo Players accompanied by a team of 3 other Spartans from Blue Team, ability to give basic squad order ala Republic Commando.
- Second Level ends (GI gets to play only 1/3 of the level, thanks Welfare) with Chief
dreaming
- You can command them to do a bunch of things such as target specific enemies, pick up specific weapons, use a turret etc.
- There will be multiple ways to complete a mission. In the example you could kill everyone, enable some turrets to help you out, go find a generator and destroy it etc.
- There will be multiple side routes so it won't be completely linear, as in you can sneak through a vent Deus Ex style and go a different route.
- In coop each player is a different member of Blue Team, and players start with different loadouts, plus the final game will have different huds for each character

MP

- Game will launch with over 20 maps (unknown how many are forge variants), their plan is to add 15 more by June 2016
- ALL DLC TO BE FREE
- BTB to be revealed at E3, or rather a ‘new epic multiplayer experience’, (please be Battlefield Halo).

Faints!

Head.spawn

Free DLC?

post-49419-key-and-peele-NOT-BAD-gif-Imgu-tPeG.gif

Frankie. You done good son, ya dun good.

No XBLG for co-op is a nice touch as well.

The new multiplayer mode is touted as containing everything from the Halo sandbox like never before.

So speculation time: Would be interesting if there's AI + players fighting it out, players control spartans and elites and then there's supporting AI on either side. Then you have the whole host of vehicles and weapons at your disposal on a large scale maps.

Pop

All of that sounds amazing.

Looks like I'll will be buying a second X1 come closer to release. I really really hope that new mode is Battlefield style Halo BTB. That would be epic. Halos my weakness, I can't help it.

Nori Chan

Updated #3

In Summary

Story

dreaming

MP

- ALL DLC TO BE FREE

I need a source for this. Cause this is too good

Bsigg12

Saw this on another website, seems to fit in with the GI cover. Is this info true?

Highlighting an enemy and hitting up on the D-Pad orders your team to assault an enemy
Other commands include picking up certain weapons, using turrets, driving warthog, etc
Game starts out before Chief is on the run
Audio has been heavily reworked from the ground up for Xbox One (bullet sounds, debris, etc)
8 months afterburning Halo 4 ends, cataclysmic events are tearing apart star systems, these are tied to the Guardians (Forerunner entities shown in the first teaser trailer)
Game Informer played the second mission, taking command of Chief and Blue Team to take back an ONI research vessel abandoned for 2 years
Team banter replaces interactions with Cortana to flesh out the characters
The zealous religions Covenant are slowly abandoning Jul M'dama's leadership in Halo 4

Actual spoiler

Cortana's silhouette is seen by the Chief after he's separated from Blue Team, she says: "John, the domain is open. Meridian is next. You only have 3 days, John. The Reclamation is about to begin."

Yea, all of that was in Shinobis summary thread as well.

AO1JMM

Banned
Saw this on another website, seems to fit in with the GI cover. Is this info true?

Highlighting an enemy and hitting up on the D-Pad orders your team to assault an enemy
Other commands include picking up certain weapons, using turrets, driving warthog, etc
Game starts out before Chief is on the run
Audio has been heavily reworked from the ground up for Xbox One (bullet sounds, debris, etc)
8 months after Halo 4 ends, cataclysmic events are tearing apart star systems, these are tied to the Guardians (Forerunner entities shown in the first teaser trailer)
Game Informer played the second mission, taking command of Chief and Blue Team to take back an ONI research vessel abandoned for 2 years
Team banter replaces interactions with Cortana to flesh out the characters
The zealous religions Covenant are slowly abandoning Jul M'dama's leadership in Halo 4

Actual spoiler

Cortana's silhouette is seen by the Chief after he's separated from Blue Team, she says: "John, the domain is open. Meridian is next. You only have 3 days, John. The Reclamation is about to begin."

Cortana is in the
domain
? Is that possible?

People talking about the Locke model, but he just looks that buttery smooth in real life

mike-colter-1231.jpg

Getting to be a spartan and Luke Cage, good times ahead for Mike Colter.

Should be a quote on the box.

"People [complain] about the Locke model, but he just looks that buttery smooth in real life" - Glass, 2015

RSB

Banned
Updated #3

In Summary

Story

dreaming

MP

- ALL DLC TO BE FREE

My god, as much I dislike some of the additions 343 has introduced into the game (ADS, Clamber, etc) I can't deny all this info is getting me pretty hyped about the game. E3 can't come soon enough.

Brojito

Neo Member
I'm intrigued.

Not excited... Halo 4 and the fucking MCC burned me too much to really ever trust 343, but I'm at the least intrigued to see more.

Although, is anyone else sorta amused at how much Destiny-ish stuff seems to be making it's way into Halo 5? It's just odd to me, I don't know if it's intentional references, or just purely coincidental design choices.

I mean... Halo 5: Guardians. Fireteam Osiris. Not to mention all the "Spartan Abilities" are ripped straight from Destiny's subclass abilities.

Not trying to make some sort of point, but I just think it's interesting.

Striker

Map DLC being free is huge. DLC maps splitting up the player base has been a problem since Halo 2, and got worse with 3 / Reach / 4.
They weren't a problem in Halo 2 because, after 3'ish months, they were free and you were required to download them. And it wasn't like space was hard to come by on the OG Xbox hard drive.

Thats the first thing i noticed. Maybe it will look better in motion.

That's what I thought about Halo 4 and the beta and Witcher 2 to 3, but seeing the game in motion is a big thing, as well as actually playing it on a screen in front of you to see the extra fidelity. I think it's just a result of retaining the art style, which is good for continuity.

AO1JMM

Banned
I'm intrigued.

Not excited... Halo 4 and the fucking MCC burned me too much to really ever trust 343, but I'm at the least intrigued to see more.

Although, is anyone else sorta amused at how much Destiny-ish stuff seems to be making it's way into Halo 5? It's just odd to me, I don't know if it's intentional references, or just purely coincidental design choices.

I mean... Halo 5: Guardians. Fireteam Osiris. Not to mention all the "Spartan Abilities" are ripped straight from Destiny's subclass abilities.

Guardians has been part of Halo for wuite some time.
What specific Spartan abilities because Halo has had them for awhile.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I heard a rumor that the new mode is a 4v4 unique territory game where each bullet shot claims part of the territory when it hits the ground and each kill splatters the enemies ichor in your teams color.

rokkerkory

I'm intrigued.

"The Guardians" have been part of the lore forever.

I still can't believe those facial models of Locke and Buck. They pretty much look like Fillion and Colter themselves. Very impressive.

Raide

I heard a rumor that the new mode is a 4v4 unique territory game where each bullet shot claims part of the territory when it hits the ground and each kill splatters the enemies ichor in your teams color.

Cannot wait for the Gruntoon reveal.

Pomerlaw

Should be a quote on the box.

"People [complain] about the Locke model, but he just looks that buttery smooth in real life" - Glass, 2015

Photoshop.

Split screen not supported

I'm totally heartbroken. It is almost a deal-breaker for me, as I was expecting to play the campaign with my girlfriend just like the other Halos.

Seriously! This is really bad.

EDIT : https://twitter.com/joshingtonstate/status/545000766969114625

Phew...

Top Bottom