• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

B88hZ1SIQAAtqKJ.jpg

Looks so damn good.
Yeah, but does her chest hair blow in the wind?

I have high hopes for this, I really liked reboot, didn't know anything about it when I bought it but didn't disappoint myself.

I just hope they really make better tombs and puzzles, and maybe have optional ones too with very hard puzzles. I hate most puzzles in Uncharted games, they feel so superficial, bit like ones in TR reboot, so easy.

I think Xbox exclusivity helps Sony, in way there are no competition for Uncharted for months, so all PS4 only owners buy UC for their adventure needs, play it through, some MP and then buy TR when it comes out.

That's not what this franchise is anymore, unfortunately.

let's be fair — it's hardly been about raiding tombs ever since tomb raider II.

the reboot had more actual tomb raiding than pretty much any other game in the franchise bar the original. i thought the way they implemented tombs was a neat compromise.

Percy

Banned
No shit at the "other platforms" part.

So, since this is exclusive (at least for now), which is the bigger draw on their respective systems.. Tomb Raider or Street Fighter 5?

Probably SFV, as at this point everyone knows that TR's "exclusivity" is temporary, and all signs so far are that SFV's is not.

ArjanN

let's be fair — it's hardly been about raiding tombs ever since tomb raider II.

the reboot had more actual tomb raiding than pretty much any other game in the franchise bar the original. i thought the way they implemented tombs was a neat compromise.

I think the way they handled the tombs was fine, they just needed to be a lot longer and more elaborate. They could just keep most of them as optional areas, if they didn't want to scare off the shootbang people with too many puzzles.

Shame about the graphics, looks just like TR2013.

Considering there's not a lot of better looking games than TR2013 on consoles (at least with the same scope) I don't really see the issue.

Hope they bring something about the Tomb raider games which made it so popular before instead of going again with another action oriented game like they did with reboot which i did not link at all because its not what the tomb raider did before.

Crystal Dynamics: "Hey, remember how we added tranq guns because our audience made it clear that they don't want to murder animals? Well, fuck it, now you're going to skin them alive."
You must tap triangle to cut faster before its mate hears its cries of agony. I don't dig how killing bears are made into minigames :(
Always made me feel bad in Assassins Creed when I killed an animal and found a whole family after.

Amir0x

Banned
The only one that called the game Metroidvania was the Gameinformer interviewer, who actually appeared to suggest the first game was Metroidvania too (which isn't at all). The CD duder just grinned and didn't confirm or deny it.

Also, what are you even talking about.

yeah. The first game wasn't even close to a Metroidvania. Had like close to no exploration whatsoever so saying the second game was more Metroidvania or that they're going all in on it now wouldn't even make sense to begin with.

Lots of lipservice about tombs and puzzles, watch how simplistic this shit is going to actually be in practice. Like I'll believe that shit after what you pulled in TR2013. Don't want to scare away all the new gen kiddos who can't rub some brain cells together for more than 5 seconds at a go lest they'll give up on the entire endeavor.

what makes FH2 cross gen development different from others?

Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 is being handled by an outside studio

Crystal Dynamics won't be developing the Xbox 360 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, but is instead handing the title off to Nixxes Software, studio head Darrell Gallagher recently told Game Informer.

"We're wholly focused on Rise being an Xbox One title without limitation, without even thinking of the Xbox 360 version," Gallagher said.

He added that the Xbox 360's "ecosystem is still super strong," but that console translations take time. When it came to Rise of the Tomb Raider, Crystal Dynamics was "totally blown away" by a tech demo Nixxes put together.

"But the existence of that game isn't limiting our work on the Xbox One version," Gallagher said.

Skilletor

yeah. The first game wasn't even close to a Metroidvania. Had like close to no exploration whatsoever so saying the second game was more Metroidvania or that they're going all in on it now wouldn't even make sense to begin with.

Lots of lipservice about tombs and puzzles, watch how simplistic this shit is going to actually be in practice. Like I'll believe that shit after what you pulled in TR2013. Don't want to scare away all the new gen kiddos who can't rub some brain cells together for more than 5 seconds at a go lest they'll give up on the entire endeavor.

All of this.

The reboot absolutely had light Metroidvania elements. If they go more in that direction I'll be very excited.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, I am not worried about the Xbox One version, as that is the version that CD are focused on, while Nixxes does the lowly 360 version. It's like a Forza Horizon 2 situation. But to be fair, Nixxes is amazing at what they do and will probably do a great job.

The reboot absolutely had light Metroidvania elements. If they go more in that direction I'll be very excited.

I mean... it had backtracking, hubs, and some inventory progression. If that's all that's necessary to qualify as a "Metroidvania", then Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age and Zelda are Metroidvanias.

ArjanN

Her responses to those questions...what a twat. Looks like the story for this game is doomed to be as utterly shit as the last one was.

Be honest, which one of those tweets was yours?

I mean... it had backtracking, hubs, and some inventory progression. If that's all that's necessary to qualify as a "Metroidvania", then Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age and Zelda are Metroidvanias.

Not really. Well, except for Zelda, which actually pretty much is a Metroidvania in structure.

This.

What they've said is nice, lets see how it pans out.

CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear. If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

Lmao Sony couldn't care less about Tomb Raider, it's no threat to Uncharted.

Poona

So, since this is exclusive (at least for now), which is the bigger draw on their respective systems.. Tomb Raider or Street Fighter 5?

For me Tomb Raider. I see Street Fighter as just staying in one place fighting another character.

Whereas with Tomb Raider the variety is so much more. You're swimming, climbing, shooting, running, just generally going on an adventure and exploring many places.

Though I'm not a fan of the animal killing. If it's in there should just make it optional (not a requirement to upgrade, etc).

LogN

As much as I enjoyed the reboot, I'm not really hyped about this entry. The story was pretty lackluster in the last one and the only thing that held it up was the sheer brutality and mechanics of the game.

I feel like this will be a repeat and still be lacking story, I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Here's to hoping it turns out good for all those waiting for it!

Top Bottom