• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

jett

D-Member
CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear. If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

The only one that called the game Metroidvania was the Gameinformer interviewer, who actually appeared to suggest the first game was Metroidvania too (which isn't at all). The CD duder just grinned and didn't confirm or deny it.

Also, what are you even talking about.

Eggbok

CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear. If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

I had typed out a response to this but I decided to delete it and leave this instead.

606b742e_2ns25vs.gif

Don't think Sony or Naughty Dog are worried about anything Crystal Dynamics are doing.

gafneo

Banned
Bruce Straley already said he gives no fucks about what the rest of the industry is doing.

Plus they already confirmed that UC4 will be another globe trotter. It's hard to do a Metroidvania with a globetrotter approach.
Maybe to globe trott a vania in 3d, they could have like 4 or so big islands and allow you to take airplanes at certain points, while revisiting specific areas that you missed ala Skyward Sword. That's a Skywroid Vania.

I'm talking about the identity of the game itself, not the franchise. TR suffers a bit from the "checklist" design philosophy that Ubi has polluted the AAA arena with.

I think I know what you mean. Like, making sure they include this and that and this in the game/gameplay. One could argue Uc3 did that as well.

jbttwin

Anyways lol

Was quote ever posted from the GI story?
The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot tasked players with discovering hidden GPS caches, which contained extra salvage and buried manuscripts that offered a deeper glimpse into the series’ lore. Lara will continue to uncover hidden caches in Rise of the Tomb Raider, but she’ll also run across various writings on ancient Mongolian obelisks that she might not be able to read at the beginning of the game. These obelisks function like treasure maps, but will require a bit of decoding. As Lara collects fragments of ancient scripts she can start to piece together the ancient language written on these obelisks and will eventually be able to read these markers, which in turn will lead her to new narrative elements or an ancient store of secrets.

Can't wait to buy this game used a few weeks out. :)

The cover is pretty hot. I wasn't crazy about TRR, but hopefully this one has some major improvements.

CD isn't even making the 360 version. That job has been passed on to Nixxes.

i see. hopefully that means parity for the 360 version of the game isnt a huge priority. i really would like a current gen TR game rather than TR:DE part two. TR:DE looks and plays great, but i really want TR:RoT to take full advantage of current gen without worrying about if the last gen version can achieve the same scope.

Nice that Ill get to play this and Uncharted this year. I hope they can still squeeze out 1080p, because the definitive edition looked great on both PS4 and X1.

jett

D-Member
That's def good news that (if?) CD is dedicating themselves exclusively to the Xbone. For a while there I thought it was a proper crossgen game.

mtgmdh.gif

The idea of Naughty Dog stopping everything they are doing and scrambling to try to emulate Crystal Dynamics... oh wow.

Servbot24

Banned
I think I know what you mean. Like, making sure they include this and that and this in the game/gameplay. One could argue Uc3 did that as well.

UC3 certainly could have stood to be more focused, though it wasn't as bad in that regard.

It just really bugs me that every game is expected to have fast travel. Every game needs an open world. Every game needs a map with little side quest icons on it where you stop a drug deal or salvage some herbs. Every game needs territories to unlock. And of course every game needs guns.

If any of it is missing, people will say, "Hey, where is [stock feature]?". Games are now these hobbled collages of reused features instead of a singular vision that exists simply because the act of creating is beautiful.

I feel like Uncharted follows its own purpose moreso than TR, which is one of the reasons I like it better.

This is the most bonkers post I've read in a while, lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
CD isn't even making the 360 version. That job has been passed on to Nixxes.

Kind of like Shadow of Mordor, then! Seems great news to me, since it looked great. But I have higher hopes for this one.

UC3 certainly could have stood to be more focused, though it wasn't as bad in that regard.

It just really bugs me that every game is expected to have fast travel. Every game needs an open world. Every game needs a map with little side quest icons on it where you stop a drug deal or salvage some herbs. Every game needs territories to unlock. And of course every game needs guns.

If any of it is missing, people will say, "Hey, where is [stock feature]?". Games are now these hobbled collages of reused features instead of a singular vision that exists simply because the act of creating is beautiful.

You forgot 1 thing: Every game needs online multiplayer :\

yeah not really...

I'd play TR any day over TLoU.

Game is much more fun to actually play.

Now the story element in TLoU is better,but that's pretty much it.

Not sure I agree. I bought both games twice(I'm part of the remaster problem), but I beat TLOU three times and TR only twice.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's coming.

Didn't they already say the deal is similar to the deal with RYSE?(or was it Dead Rising 3?)

Neither of those games have shown any sign of making their way to the PS4.

Phil Spencer also said that they will not invest in games that go to Sony platforms, would seem odd for Microsoft to throw money at this game just for a 6 month exclusive.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Didn't they already say the deal is similar to the deal with RYSE?(or was it Dead Rising 3?)

Phil Spencer also said that they will not invest in games that go to Sony platforms, would seem odd for Microsoft to throw money at this game just for a 6 month exclusive.

Source?

nib95

Banned

Spencer/Microsoft did, Square Enix didn't, and instead implied the opposite, and that their arrangement with Microsoft was timed. One of the mods posted a Q&A with Crystal Dynamics with relevant answers a little earlier.

It's not surprising Microsoft would try and maintain the image that the game will be a long term exclusive, as it'll likely be one of their main Fall exclusives, which would explain the mass amount of obfuscation regarding the deal, and the use of flowery terminology like "coming exclusively this holiday" instead of just outright admitting whether it was a timed exclusive or not, or whether it was a console debut etc, such as is typical with such announcements.

EDIT: Here's the post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150457460&postcount=32

Jobbs

Banned
I love Tomb Raider and I ADORE that cover. Amazing cover.

Heard there's also something good in this issue's Impulse section

MS has not been above upfront clarity and honesty about exclusivity when it's beneficial to them. Like when Titanfall is permanently exclusive to Xbox and PC.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

So looking up some of what you said, I found this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...b-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

Some tidbits:

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

That's the clever move on Phil's part.

By saying "he doesn't own the franchise" instead of refering to the single game itself and using Ryse/DR3 as an example, he's creating the illusion that the game will be permanently exclusive, but TR3 won't.

I really hope ROTTR has more horror influences. I absolutely loved when TR played with all those horror nods and creepy bits. I want the supernatural stuff to be legitimately terrifying. It was my greatest disappointment when you finally went up against the Oni in TR, they just turned out to be standard mooks.

NO!

Make whatever it is in this game terrifying as fuck. I absolutely loved when the Oni were creepy supernatural predators that scared the fuck out of everyone on the island. I loved the warped eeriness of everything, the graveyard of ships, the tunnel of blood, etc.

Come on, CD!

Edit: So Lara will be searching for the lost city of Kitezh. How ya gonna make that scary? Ghosts?

Arklite

200% increased effort on puzzles over the previous game would make them decent, so I hope they're really planning those. Everything else they pretty much nailed.

AU Tiger

Looks like it could be fun. I'm not going to buy an xbone to play it so I guess I'll wait for the eventual PC version.

at least by then, we'll know if it's worth grabbing on week 1 or not.

I loved the hell out of the last one though so my hopes are high.

AsianOni

It was just a jab at the previous game's( and all other modern gaming for that matter) obsession with lens flares, rain and dirt speckles all over the screen. To me, it adds absolutely nothing and was an eyesore over the previous games very nice graphics.

Don't forget chromatic aberrations.

Top Bottom