• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

IrishNinja

damn, can't believe i'm in an era where i'm finally excited for a Tomb Raider game, but that's what Lara Uncrofted did for me

strafer

Almost

VA

tombraier6xqxk.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Only if you turned manual grab on.Otherwise it was impossible to miss a jump with the exception of the wall runs+jump but this was due to the erratic camera.In any case manual grab needs to return.

As for the environments they also need to stop highlighting the "correct" paths (with white ropes,glowing rocks/ledges).Where's the sense of danger when you know what is the right way to go?
You still needed to time things well andthink about what you were doing. You weren't going to miss grabbing a ledge you aimed for but you could still fuck up and die. You didn't die a fair number of times in Anniversary? Manual grab added absolutely nothing to that experience by the way. But hat was due to the way that game was designed. Manual grab has a place if the game is built around it, which Anniversary wasn't.

But I 100% agree that they need to stop highlighting where we need to go.It should be more natural and allow the player to explore and discover on their own.

Psylumin

Neo Member
Ohh! I am surprisingly excited about this game considering my initial feelings about the reboot. I didn't like it when it came out but replayed it a bit later and loved it.

Too bad it's not going to be on PC at first, but I am lucky enough to own a Xbone. I am surprised to see that it's going to be crossgen. Guess that means a true next-gen Tomb Raider will come in a few more years.

I am ready! One of the very few games I decided to buy at full-price, the only other one being Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition. Also, snow. Yey!

KorrZ

Wow if those screenshots are in-game then this is looking phenomenal! Can't wait for a full gameplay reveal, I honestly loved Tomb Raider (2013) and beat it in 2 days so I'm super pumped for this.

sublimit

Banned
You still needed to time things well andthink about what you were doing. You weren't going to miss grabbing a ledge you aimed for but you could still fuck up and die. You didn't die a fair number of times in Anniversary? Manual grab added absolutely nothing to that experience by the way. But hat was due to the way that game was designed. Manual grab has a place if the game is built around it, which Anniversary wasn't.

But I 100% agree that they need to stop highlighting where we need to go.It should be more natural and allow the player to explore and discover on their own.

The only times i remember i ever died in Anniversary was at the Centaur battle (until i realized what i needed to do) and during the wall running jumps in the Great Pyramid due to the shitty camera.There was a certain jump at that area that it almost made me throw my controller at my tv.

I agree manual grab didn't add much in sense of danger (neither it did in the classics) but it added a level of tension and involvement in the control system.At the very least it showed a rare example of Crystal actually trying to incorporate something of the old games to their own.

TR is not an exclusive. Just timed.

I thought the most recent thing was that supposedly MS is publishing it? Or co-publishing? And that that meant it would only ever come to Xbox and PC, not PS.

CD/Eidos make great business decisions.

When MS shows up with a dump truck of money needing a Uncharted competitor to market and push against U4 you'd be kind of dumb not to take the offer...

The decision to set this game in cold climate and hide the games most redeeming features behind a giant red bubble jacket makes me question every other game design decision they will make as well... looks like ill be skipping this one

I just noticed it. My hype suddenly deflated.

Seriously?

Ninjimbo

The decision to set this game in cold climate and hide the games most redeeming features behind a giant red bubble jacket makes me question every other game design decision they will make as well... looks like ill be skipping this one
I just noticed it. My hype suddenly deflated.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I thought the most recent thing was that supposedly MS is publishing it? Or co-publishing? And that that meant it would only ever come to Xbox and PC, not PS.

Tomb is being published by MS on their own platforms. Every other platform will most likely be done by SE

EGM1966

When MS shows up with a dump truck of money needing a Uncharted competitor to market and push against U4 you'd be kind of dumb not to take the offer...
MS publishing it on Xbox doesn't mean it can't be published by someone else on Plsystation. Just depends on the contracts.

Going by the tweet If 66% of current gen install base for reboot is on PS4 then even with a dumper truck of cash SE would be insane to sign up for anything other than timed deal.

And funnily enough when pressed SE and MS reluctantly admitted the deal had a duration.

Anyway enough on the deal from me as no need to risk thread getting locked.

Anyone interested should be fairly aware of how things look with Rise's duration based exclusivity.

I found the first like Drake's Fortune, solid and with a lot of promise but hampered by overly repetitive combat arenas and too much gunplay vs traversal/puzzles. Hopefully Rise looks more to Uncharted 2 for inspiration to raise its game.

Nimby

Banned
Oh so you shoot things and their happens to be cover you can use? I guess every game is Gears of War.

The reboot handled combat very generically. Third person shooting was long overdue in the series, but the forced waves of enemies were unnecessary. It derails from the exploration which is why I enjoy Tomb Raider as a series. The giant bear reminds me of the original Tomb Raider at least, fighting wildlife and supernatural creatures over some burly stereotypical baddie.

This game better not have regen either. If you want me to take combat seriously, actually punish me for messing up. I want to conserve medipacks/herbs, ammo, and don't leave these things scattered about in the open. I want to be rewarded for exploring the landscape, and I expect that from an adventure game.

It's really unfortunate that this is cross-gen. Cover is alright, not feeling it too much. I'm very much interested in reading about the details, however.

Floody

Square said they (MS) will be publishing the Xbox version, basically confirming it's coming to at least one other Platform.

I think PC is pretty much guaranteed, PS likely, but who knows?

Mman235

Since I've accepted that the only chance of a proper spiritual successor to the original series is from an indie developer these changes sounds like good additions to the style that the last game was going for, and there's potential for it to pleasantly surprise me.

The suggestion that there's no fast health regeneration is especially nice as it was one of the dumbest things to have in a game that supposed to have survival as a theme. Also, despite all my issues with the writing in the last game at least keeping the same writer means there should actually be some sort of progression and hopefully having her working on it from the start means it fits in better this time (given that coming in late was supposed to be one of the biggest issues last time).

I Can't wait for this game... I was surprised at how much I loved the first one...

This sort of linear 3D metroidvania style game isn't really done very much and I think it's wonderful. I also though the combat in the original was amazing,espeically that bow and arrow. I enjoyed it much more then TLOU so I'm not sure where they are going by saying they are moving in that direction.

Also we know this is a timed exclusive but do we know for a fact if there is going to be a PC or a Sony version? I'm just wondering because when they say there is a duration it could be similar to the DR3/Ryse deal and come to PC only and I honestly think I'd rather wait to play this on PS4 if it's going to be available there.

sublimit

Banned
Also, despite all my issues with the writing in the last game at least keeping the same writer means there should actually be some sort of progression and hopefully having her working on it from the start means it fits in better this time (given that coming in late was supposed to be one of the biggest issues last time).

I thought it was Mirror's Edge where "she came in late". :p

I'll be honest, and please trust me when I say I'm not trolling....

but this looks like shit. Like a straight up 360 game. Xbone is capable of a lot more. Unless its the compressions, but man, even then....

... It's a screencap of a video. And if this looks like shit, please point me in the right direction. What games are you playing? I need to know.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'll be honest, and please trust me when I say I'm not trolling....

but this looks like shit. Like a straight up 360 game. Xbone is capable of a lot more. Unless its the compressions, but man, even then....

I took this screencap from the coverage video. This isn't direct feed.

I Can't wait for this game... I was surprised at how much I loved the first one...

This sort of linear 3D metroidvania style game isn't really done very much and I think it's wonderful. I also though the combat in the original was amazing,espeically that bow and arrow. I enjoyed it much more then TLOU so I'm not sure where they are going by saying they are moving in that direction.

Also we know this is a timed exclusive but do we know for a fact if there is going to be a PC or a Sony version? I'm just wondering because when they say there is a duration it could be similar to the DR3/Ryse deal and come to PC only and I honestly think I'd rather wait to play this on PS4 if it's going to be available there.

You know Spencer intentionally compared it those games to give the impression that it would not come to PS. I expect a PS release as do most others. If it wasn't he would say it just like Titanfall.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Unhappy that we(PC and PS4 gamers) have no idea when we'll get to play the game.

Sounds close enough to console war bullshit to me. Or at least console related derailing. It's a timed exclusive. When it comes to other platforms it will come. They're not going to announce anything until well after the game releases on the platforms it's currently exclusive to. No need to derail threads or comment sections because of it. Either discuss the game itself or wait until a release is announced for other platforms. It's like going in to a GTA V thread in 2013 and doing nothing but complaining about the lack of a PC/PS4/XB1 announcement.

You know Spencer intentionally compared it those games to give the impression that it would not come to PS. I expect a PS release as do most others. If it wasn't he would say it just like Titanfall.

But it's not like titanfall because the PC version isn't coming out at release.

The whole thing is very obtuse and annoying... But I guess that's the point..

Top Bottom