• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

But it's not like titanfall because the PC version isn't coming out at release.

The whole thing is very obtuse and annoying... But I guess that's the point..

I'm referring to the announcement that Titanfall was console exclusive forever instead of just timed. Any way we have gone over this before after the initial announcement so need to completely rehash it.

nib95

Banned
I'm sure the game will look amazing, even if it is an updated version of the current engine. I mean, TR DE looks great as it is.

recentral2014-01-2715rns7h.png

BgzPtG1CIAAFSb8.jpg:orig

L38dJks.jpg

Sounds good so far. I really enjoyed the gameplay, the upgrading and skill point system as well as the movement, cover and environmental traversal systems all worked very well. The graphics were better than I was expecting and the performance on PC was rock solid, Nixxies does an exceptional job with their PC ports. Considering their doing the 360 version of Rise I hope they do the PC version too.

CD needs to make it SP-only though. I only played about 10 matches of the MP and found it to be completely boring and tacked on. The hunting and crafting systems could be more extensive and integral to the actual "Survival" theme of the game or maybe just for a hardcore mode. QTE's need to go or just be few and far between. New game plus would be nice and a new stealth system or non-lethal takedowns would be really cool. More tombs and puzzles are a must too. PC version needs separate options for post processing effects this time around too (DoF, motion blur, film grain, CA etc...), No more lumping multiple effects into one option.

Mman235

I thought it was Mirror's Edge where "she came in late". :p

I think it was both those games where that was supposed to be a problem. Since this is apparently the first time Rhianna Pratchett has been able to work on a game from the start in a while I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that she can do better. If the writing is just as lacking-or barely better-in this game though I guess it would confirm that her writing just isn't very good though.

quick question: did TR have better graphics than Uc2/3?

also, I was a big fan of Uc2. I never played tomb raider before in my life, should I give it a shot and get the definitive edition for Ps4?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
yes but, Uncharted copied tr.

it's funny because tr influenced uncharted, and then uncharted influenced tr

Look TR before and after Uncha and guess who copied who.

By the way Uncharted was mainly inpired by Indiana Jones.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Sounds close enough to console war bullshit to me. Or at least console related derailing. It's a timed exclusive. When it comes to other platforms it will come. They're not going to announce anything until well after the game releases on the platforms it's currently exclusive to. No need to derail threads or comment sections because of it. Either discuss the game itself or wait until a release is announced for other platforms. It's like going in to a GTA V thread in 2013 and doing nothing but complaining about the lack of a PC/PS4/XB1 announcement.
You should probably go back to some of those 2013 GTA V threads

I'm just saying

You know, I don't believe for a second they are totally not thinking about the 360 version.

No way in hell are Nixxes making low-poly environments and character models. The game, exactly like Shadow of Mordor will still have the telltale current gen assets that are bogging down every 2014 game.

The games that aren't cross gen, you can just see the detail difference in.

Ascenion

You know, I don't believe for a second they are totally not thinking about the 360 version.

No way in hell are Nixxes making low-poly environments and character models. The game, exactly like Shadow of Mordor will still have the telltale current gen assets that are bogging down every 2014 game.

The games that aren't cross gen, you can just see the detail difference in.

Uninted Front could be assisting as well, they did help with DE. Not completely unbelievable given the solid ports of DE, might be reusing those assets.

Great cover to what's obviously going to be a great game...I have little doubt they'll top the first one.

Can't wait to see more. Just seeing Lara in the snow environments gets me pumped. Bring it on! :D

RyudBoy

Very much looking forward to this. I just built a new PC so I'm gonna run through TR '13 again. Definitely was my favorite game of the year, and I have no doubt that RoTR will be just as good.

also, I was a big fan of Uc2. I never played tomb raider before in my life, should I give it a shot and get the definitive edition for Ps4?

Not even close, I would even say that Rise of the Tomb Raider barely has better graphics than UC3. Thats not really a knock against TR, just UC3's graphics are spectacular.

Servbot24

Banned

- No, Uncharted had much better graphics.

- Yes, definitely try it out. It's not as good as the Uncharted games, its identity isn't as strong. But it's still a nice game that's worth your time.

adin75

I'm looking forward the playing this on PS4, the previous game was pretty awesome.

If it doesn't come to PS4, then I look forward giving the finger to all parties involved.

- Yes, definitely try it out. It's not as good as the Uncharted games, its identity isn't as strong. But it's still a nice game that's worth your time.

Disagree on both.

TR had larger environments with the same visual fidelity as Uncharted.

TR had better gameplay.

Megatron

You still needed to time things well andthink about what you were doing. You weren't going to miss grabbing a ledge you aimed for but you could still fuck up and die. You didn't die a fair number of times in Anniversary? Manual grab added absolutely nothing to that experience by the way. But hat was due to the way that game was designed. Manual grab has a place if the game is built around it, which Anniversary wasn't.

But I 100% agree that they need to stop highlighting where we need to go.It should be more natural and allow the player to explore and discover on their own.

Or incorporate that into easy mode I Guess.

MrxDemix

Banned
I have super high expectations for this game. I think of the latest Tomb Raider as Uncharted 1. The second is always the best!

I'm a bit wary of the setting, feeling a bit burnt out on the icy wastelands and shanties lately.

I am interested in how temperature management might be handled. Lara stands to come out of this adventure minus a few toes if the devs are shooting for realism and she maintains her hilariously awful luck from the previous game.

Cross gen doesn't really matter if it's being developed like FH2 (which it sounds like it is).
what makes FH2 cross gen development different from others?
No. DE was pretty, though.
tr looks pretty on its own. DE looks prettier, but doesn't blow me away. if you showed it to me in 2012 I wouldn't look at it and say "oh my god that can't be Ps3 graphics".
Not even close, I would even say that Rise of the Tomb Raider barely has better graphics than UC3. Thats not really a knock against TR, just UC3's graphics are spectacular.
...we've barely gotten to see any footage of rotr. and unless you're talking about the 360 version, how can an a Ps3 game come close to being on par with an xbone game?

either ND is just absolutely phenomenal with visuals every time, or SE delivers less than spectacular visuals
which can't be true either because ffs15's graphics do indeed look spectacular
Definitely.
well i'll keep my eye out for a good deal.
No probably not. You should definitely give it a try though.
i'll probably give it a shot but I don't want to think iI'm wasting my time.
they could've spent another 30 seconds and come up with a better name
the name is good.

the identity isn't as strong? TR has been around for almost 10 years, and I think lara croft is still overall more well known as a videogame icon than nathan drake.
Yes, it's a great game and pretty cheap these days.
cheaper than $20?

i'll keep my eye out.
Unless your talking about the pc version.
i don't think the pc version would have bigger environments or better gameplay, if that is what he'd be referring to.

Servbot24

Banned
the identity isn't as strong? TR has been around for almost 10 years, and I think lara croft is still overall more more well known as a videogaming than nathan drake.

I'm talking about the identity of the game itself, not the franchise. TR suffers a bit from the "checklist" design philosophy that Ubi has polluted the AAA arena with.

gafneo

Banned
CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear. If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear. If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

You think Sony is going to delay Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 to make UC4 more like Tomb Raider? LOL.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

wO7xcd4.gif

Bruce Straley already said he gives no fucks about what the rest of the industry is doing.

Plus they already confirmed that UC4 will be another globe trotter. It's hard to do a Metroidvania with a globetrotter approach.

Huh. Wouldn't have guessed Siberia from the teaser. Still, looks damn good, and the promise of larger puzzle tombs has me highly intrigued.

Nameless

CD said TR xb1 is Metroidvania. Isn't that what Dark Souls is? Doubt Uncharted will make the game in that style. U4 looks extremely linear.If they want to copy it will be delayed. That would mean Sony will not have a 2015 holiday release. Maybe they could delay Blood born again. Its not like Xbx has anything massive coming early on. Sony still has a head start because of the Order.

Que?

"I think our goal with the layouts in some of these spaces is that there's not that golden path," Cambier told Game Informer. "You turn this corner, you're going to find something surprising. Or maybe this way you're going to use your potions; the mixup of your different tools. There might be a shimmy ledge this way, there might be things that break this way; so every path has that action, that tempo that you want."

Cambier, who previously worked on The Last of Us, added that Naughty Dog's task with Uncharted 4 is "figuring out how to design on this new scale" that the power of the PS4 provides.

"Because you want to go bigger in this jungle layout that we have," he said. "You can see just all the avenues that Drake has; these new tools. You give the player a tool like the grappling hook. Then you realize how much space you need to fulfill that and how far you can go. How you design a space that has that size and that epicness, but is still understandable, digestible."

Darkangel

I'll be enjoying this on 360 if it really is a true exclusive. Crazy how a ten year old console still gets new AAA games.

Top Bottom