• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

They need to up the ante in the writing department.

I'm excited for this game but during this holiday season I'll be too busy with Uncharted 4 to care. Having said that I do hope the wait for the PS4 port isn't too big. There's only so much U4 can tide me over!

I'm hoping for a 6 month gap, but in reality I expect a full year.

Hoje0308

Banned
The decision to set this game in cold climate and hide the games most redeeming features behind a giant red bubble jacket makes me question every other game design decision they will make as well... looks like ill be skipping this one

If serious, this is just sad. If joking, merely a failure.

CD talks about doing more with tombs and puzzles this time around.
You don't say...

My interest is entirely dependent upon how tombs and puzzles are handled. I can live with combat to mix things up, especially bow combat, but if the puzzles and exploration play third fiddle again then MS can keep their moneyhat exclusive forever for all I care.

Here's hoping CD can incorporate their new ideas along with classic tomb raiding.

jett

D-Member
Gonna buy this and pretend this is TLOU2.

KfkCkvO.gif

With TR2013 quality writing??? Yeah good luck with that.

Almost half of what made TLoU so good was its writing. TR2013 doesn't even come close to that. ROTTR will be a great game, but don't have high hopes of a much better writing.

Toa TAK

Banned
B88hZ1SIQAAtqKJ.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!
Seriously, can't get enough of this shot. The character models are looking good so far.
Let me guess, love triangle between Sam, Lara and Jonah xD

No but seriously, Sam is just a citizen damsel, unless she buffs up like Lara to be more capable, being in the game seems farfetched..

They should just give in and let Lara and Sam be a thing like Pratchett would've loved.

The new shots / info sound incredible.

God I want to wait and play this on PC with max settings but not sure I'll be able to wait. I may just play it on the Xbone first then do a replay on PC.

puebla

Loved the last Tomb Raider. Bigger/better puzzles plus environment as antagonist sounds brilliant, can't wait.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You don't say...

My interest is entirely dependent upon how tombs and puzzles are handled. I can live with combat to mix things up, especially bow combat, but if the puzzles and exploration play third fiddle again then MS can keep their moneyhat exclusive forever for all I care.
I'll still buy it and probably enjoy it for what it is regardless, but yeah I agree.

Hoje0308

Banned
but mS is publishing the game. doesn't that mean the wait is gonna be longer than usual?

I think WW sales numbers for the PS4 will have been a factor when negotiating the exclusivity duration. And, at that time X1 was being double stuffed by Sony in NA as well. Pure speculation, of course, but an April or May PS4 release seems like it would make both parties happy. MS gets their holiday action-adventure title to market as an exclusive and SE gets funding and can still pick up decent PS4 sales with a release during what is typically a slower time of year. Whatever the case, I'll be buying it for X1. The changes being made sound fantastic and I doubt I'm going to want to wait.

sublimit

Banned
I really wish we would get a TR game where it's just you vs the environment. Fuck humans. Fuck human combat. Fuck supporting characters. I'll tolerate it if it's enjoyable enough, but I play a TR game for the challenges the environment itself offers, not the combat.

If they don't fundamentally change the character controls (add precision/manual grabs and remove all safety nets and automation) as well as drop the regenerative health system then the danger from the environment will remain superficial and nothing more than another PR stunt to use before the release of the game in order to appeal to the core fans they have lost.

Jonm1010

Banned
So they copied Uncharted first and now TLOU

Can't wait to play it on my PC or PS4

Are there any AAA titles that don't borrow from other titles? The entire big budget gaming industry is largely built on small innovations on proven gameplay formulas. Even Nintendo.

I loved TLOU, but I really hope that Tomb Raider doesn't have similar combat. That's not the type of gameplay Tomb Raider needs at all. Everything else sounds good so far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I loved TLOU, but I really hope that Tomb Raider doesn't have similar combat. That's not the type of gameplay Tomb Raider needs at all. Everything else sounds good so far.

I would love more options on how to tackle each combat zone and I hope that is what they are referring to with it being similar to TLoU

domlolz

Banned

that reminds me, the small hunting section in TLOU was more enjoyable and better thought out than the useless poorly implemented hunting mechanic in tomb raider that was present throughout the game despite it not serving any purpose after the intro

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If they don't fundamentally change the character controls (add precision/manual grabs and remove all safety nets and automation) as well as drop the regenerative health system then the danger from the environment will remain superficial and nothing more than another PR stunt to use before the release of the game in order to appeal to the core fans they have lost.
Tomb Raider Anniversary had all that automation but the danger from the environment was still there. The reboot actually offered more control over your jumps than the Legend trilogy so the potential is still there even with these mechanics. The level design just has to be done correctly. And as for health regen, from the sound of it that is actually gone this time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That looks good. Excited, want gameplay trailer soon now. But not expecting anything before E3

jelly

Nice shot.

Face is much better than their previous efforts, especially the Definitive Edition but I can't imagine her voice fitting that face, looks a bit boring as well, not that I want a pretty doll look, just something a bit more unique.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still sour about the exclusivity. TR is one of my favourtie games than came out in the past few years.
Pictures and infos looking friggin great makes it even more outragous. Hate u Square.

sublimit

Banned
Tomb Raider Anniversary had all that automation but the danger from the environment was still there.

Only if you turned manual grab on.Otherwise it was impossible to miss a jump with the exception of the wall runs+jump but this was due to the erratic camera.In any case manual grab needs to return.

As for the environments they also need to stop highlighting the "correct" paths (with white ropes,glowing rocks/ledges).Where's the sense of danger (or risky exploration) when the game shows you the right way to go?

Top Bottom