• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

drigosr

I'm suuuper excited for snow caves in this game!

Some google shots from caves in Siberia:

kamchatka-1.jpg

fur.jpg

kamchatka-2.jpg

viveks86

This game is using the same engine as the last game... This cross gen is going to be mostly 'free' since they are just reusing the same last gen engine.

I doubt that. I think this is going to be similar to titanfall with a different studio working on the last gen version.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
263-cover-reveal-front-610.jpg

Looks like Ellie all grows up and about to kill an infected bear. :)

Lara look badass though

Razzorn34

The specific calling out of "puzzle tombs" makes me think we're still not going to be "raiding tombs" as part of the core plot, which makes me a bit sad. All of my favorite stuff from the original games comes from the huge tombs and puzzles there, which were part of the core game then.

Sadly, it's never coming back. Don't get your hopes up. Sales of the reboot told them that people loved the new Lara murder simulator, and didn't care about actual tomb raiding. Expect more of the same, with some tombs sprinkled in so they can keep the moniker going.

The mini video feature on the site has someone from the dev team say something about living up the promise of raiding tombs and puzzle solving (something like that). I hope this definitely ends up being the case and we get larger, much larger, tombs. I liked some of the mini ones in the reboot but I would love to see a handful of larger ones in the sequel.

This thread is going to be pretty intolerable if we're going to get tons of "will wait for PS4" etc posts

I really don't see an issue with that what with the feature itself talking about the possibility of the game being released on other platforms.

Pilgrimzero

hell, anything beyond one damn room is gonna be 'larger' :) ...

To compensate for the larger 2 puzzle room tombs and todays gamers that have zero attention span there will be an "autocomplete function" where Lara does the puzzle herself.

"Ohhh I had to stack BOTH boxes to get into the next room. Thanks for helping me AI-Lara!"

I really don't see an issue with that what with the feature itself talking about the possibility of the game being released on other platforms.

Do we need to go over the same thing over and over again? I don't really care about the exclusivity BS around it, I come into the thread to read about the game.

Wabba

Great looking cover, i really hope that this turns out good. To bad i only have a PS4 and can't play it before next year.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I do think CD should be commended for creating a badass heroine character that is a strong lead. Obviously the TR name was already established as well as Lara Croft but I think its pretty awesome how they toned down the overt sexualization of the character and still made her beautiful and strong at the same time.

I like sexy stuff as much as anyone but it would have felt really out of place with the tone of the last game and they could have easily fallen into the trap of sexing her up.

Sayers

The specific calling out of "puzzle tombs" makes me think we're still not going to be "raiding tombs" as part of the core plot, which makes me a bit sad. All of my favorite stuff from the original games comes from the huge tombs and puzzles there, which were part of the core game then.

That's not what this franchise is anymore, unfortunately.

FaintDeftone

Tomb Raider 2013 was my GOTY that year. I absolutely loved it and everything seemed to be designed for my tastes in mind. I triple dipped and bought the PS3, PC and PS4 versions. Can't wait to check this game out!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Xbox's Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusive is temporary

We don't know the terms & conditions of the contract.

SE could have licensed Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively for Xbox platforms, consoles, and asked a period window of 6 months before releasing on PC.

We know it's a time exclusive much like Ryse but that's it.

Most likely. It isn't confirmed. If it does go to playstation who knows how long until it gets there.
6 months, it's obvious there just avoiding uncharted 4 which releases the same month.
to release next to that on the same console would kill sales, but to make it timed get a marketing deal and release it 6 months later when people have had there fill of drake would pay lots.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

SE could have licensed Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively for Xbox platforms, consoles, and asked a period window of 6 months before releasing on PC.

I really doubt it.

PC and PS4 seems a safe bet to me

ironcreed

Banned
didn't stop her from being cold on top of radio towers on mountain peaks in tomb raider 1.

No, but it sure is an improvement to the atmosphere to be dressed for the occasion. Not to mention that she was stranded and trying to survive before.

Pilgrimzero

Queen Lara showing the lessors how it's done

And yet her series has strayed from her core and gone right into the type of game play that Uncharted established.

If Lara wanted to be her own thing she'd go back to being more 3rd person tomb solving than run and gun like Uncharted.

HMD

I hope they scale down the story on this one, make it personal and less unnecessary side characters, we had so many in TR and none of them were interesting or very important. I'm still bummed out that it's cross-gen though, MS if you're paying for exclusives, pay for current gen exclusives please. I like that they mentioned puzzles, more of that please, those were really good in TR13.

And yet her series has strayed from her core and gone right into the type of game play that Uncharted established.

If Lara wanted to be her own thing she'd go back to being more 3rd person tomb solving than run and gun like Uncharted.

I think the gameplay is better than Uncharted because of the Metroidvania influence. They said they are doubling down on that too, so that's REALLY exciting to me.

Koh

Doesn't this seem pretty early for a holiday release? I guess i expected things like this 3 months out.

drigosr

I agree. I can see this coming to PC for sure, but I'm not sure if Microsoft will let it go to PS4. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Top Bottom