• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Played the Mass Effect series for the first time on the PS3. Soooo good. Female Shepard is awesome.

Can't wait for this one.

Also, Jack was the worst character in the game.

Finish the Fight....

Why is it on Earth? Why? I predict bland settings rather than glorious inter galaxy planet hopping.

Also if there isn't a proper RPG system with loot from enemies and XP for killing them (rather than just XP for missions and an 'end mission screen') I will not be happy.

Zeal said:
i'd be glad if this were true, but when was this confirmed?

It wasn't, but that's the default backstory if you don't import an ME1 char. The only renegade choice made canonical is (iirc) Udina being the human council-member. BWare insists there is "no canon Shepard".

Jarmel

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
And that doesn't strike you as an incredibly annoying "humans are special!!" explanation?

I've seen much more blatant forms of the humans are special line and the way they did it is fine. The only thing that the genetic diversity thing does is make us a target for the Reapers.

Quite frankly there are much more serious problems with the plot than whether humans are special or not. Why didn't the Collectors go and attack the Citadel? Seriously.

Why in Arrival didn't the Indoctrinated kill Shepard? It's because the Reapers are just as emotional as humans are and this is starting to become personal for them. I can't blame them, they've been walking for a good long while.

Honestly I don't know how they're going to deal with the Earth aspect as IMO this should mean all side-missions should be cut off until you deal with the invasion fleet. Hell the entire game should have a timer with how much time is left if Earth is the first place attacked.

Again in regards to the Citadel, I'm guessing that will get attacked too, I just don't know when.

Quite honestly there should be no possible way to win the game. One Reaper ripped through an entire fleet like he wasn't even trying. If there were even a thousand then nothing could stop them.

f0rk

Jarmel said:
Honestly I don't know how they're going to deal with the Earth aspect as IMO this should mean all side-missions should be cut off until you deal with the invasion fleet. Hell the entire game should have a timer with how much time is left if Earth is the first place attacked.

A guess that makes sense to me given how Bioware games work - at the start Earth is attacked, Shepard can't deal with it alone (It would be suicide!
just like the mission in ME2 turned out to be
) so he travels the galaxy collecting a new party + support from all the different races (
perhaps by sleeping with them all
) then you go back and have a big fight. No time limit.

chubigans said:
Played the Mass Effect series for the first time on the PS3. Soooo good. Female Shepard is awesome.

Can't wait for this one.

Also, Jack was the worst character in the game.

Playing a sequel without playing the first FTL.

IoCaster said:
This obnoxious and turgid collection of idiot posts add exactly what to the conversation? These are collected within the first 100 posts and aren't by any stretch a full accounting. Other than to totally shit up the thread, these are worthless and self-fellating nerdisms. What's the fucking point of this shit?
Quite a vehement reaction.
People really like the female Shepard and wish Bioware would use them in their marketing.

shinobi602 said:
Playing a sequel without playing the first FTL.

You do realize that the PS3 version of ME2 came with a comic that retold the story of ME1, which also included the choices of who died/lived? All of your choices there are still reflected as if you actually imported a ME1 character.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I played both male and female shepards... I honestly didn't notice that huge a difference, at least not as much as GAF makes it out to be. Okay, I will definitely admit that the female Shepard is better spoken, but only marginally so... they both come off as pretty neutral and cold. Male shep is a bit more monotone.

I think if you play it as either gender it doesn't make a difference or impact the game. Default male shepard's in-game model is pretty ugly though. Face shadows are fucking weird in the game too. Always looks like bruises to me.

IoCaster said:
This obnoxious and turgid collection of idiot posts add exactly what to the conversation? These are collected within the first 100 posts and aren't by any stretch a full accounting. Other than to totally shit up the thread, these are worthless and self-fellating nerdisms. What's the fucking point of this shit?

Agreed. They will not market female Shepard, PERIOD.

Why do people still have a hard time understanding that? Fucking let it go.

Auron_Kale said:
You do realize that the PS3 version of ME2 came with a comic that retold the story of ME1, which also included the choices of who died/lived? All of your choices there are still reflected as if you actually imported a ME1 character.
It retold the major plot points of the story and doesn't begin to cover the experience of playing the first game or actually importing a save.

itxaka

Defeatist
Patryn said:
Yep. Canon has Shepard killing pretty much every single person he can kill in ME1. He's a stone-cold bastard, that Renegade Earthborn Sole Survivor Soldier MaleShep.

So basically they made him what the majority of people play and with the decisions that people usually choose or something? I can't understand Bioware's decision here of killing the best character in the series and throw away the Rachni queen :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
itxaka said:
So basically they made him what the majority of people play and with the decisions that people usually choose or something? I can't understand Bioware's decision here of killing the best character in the series and throw away the Rachni queen :(
Somehow I can't imagine the majority of the players chose Udina.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nirolak said:

I chose him. He's a dick, but he's the kind of dick we need for a job like that. Anderson is a military man, not a politician.

Auron_Kale said:

You do realize that; experiencing and playing through all the different worlds and areas, engaging in the conversations of the characters in ME1, visiting memorable places like Ilos and Noveria, and experiencing the awesomeness of Virmire, plus immersing yourself in the different squadmates and awesome side missions for dozens and dozens of hours>>>>>>10 minute cartoon comic that skips a shitload of stuff.

Right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shinobi602 said:
You do realize that; experiencing and playing through all the different worlds and areas, engaging in the conversations of the characters in ME1, visiting memorable places like Ilos and Noveria, and experiencing the awesomeness of Virmire, plus immersing yourself in the different squadmates and awesome side missions for dozens and dozens of hours>>>>>>10 minute cartoon comic that skips a shitload of stuff.

Right?

You do realize that not everyone has a 360 or PC

Right?

Lostconfused said:
It retold the major plot points of the story and doesn't begin to cover the experience of playing the first game.

No it doesn't but at the same time, the comic served it's purpose - especially if you're only a PS3 player.

If you played the first game on the 360 or PC, then decided to move onto the PS3 version because it had all the DLC, you still don't have a choice in importing a ME1 Shepard.

I played both ME1 and ME2 on my 360 before I sold it, then bought it again for the PS3. I actually preferred the comic because it condensed what I did in the game and was able to base my Shepard off of the same choices I made in ME1 on my 360.

itxaka

Defeatist
Nirolak said:

Yeah but that is more logical, he is a politician after all. It makes sense for that type of guy to be in charge.

Snuggler said:

Right?

Having a PC that can't run Mass Effect these days must be fairly rare, you have to admit. But yeah, he didn't have to be such a dick about it ¬_¬

FoeHammer

So pumped, this is the best franchise in gaming.

All this Earth stuff in the promos has me thinking that the Earth will be blown to smithereens within the first hour of the game.

Van Buren

shinobi602 said:
awesome side missions for dozens and dozens of hours>>>>>>10 minute cartoon comic that skips a shitload of stuff.

I don't deny that playing the game is preferable to viewing a summary of it, but it's not often 'awesome' and 'side missions' are used together in a description of Mass Effect 1.

MaddenNFL64

Yea, Earth born, Akuze survivor John Shepard is a fucking bastard.

My renegade Ruthless Colonist cannot stack up to Default Sheps decisions.

I remember Bioware saying they wanted Mass Effect 3 to be more light-hearted than ME2. I hope they scrapped that idea; ME2 was pretty much spot on with its mood.

shinobi602 said:

Right?

Yes, but considering the OP you were quoting/replying too, he probably didn't have either a 360 or PC to play ME1 on.

Not everyone's experience playing ME2 is going to be the same for everyone, so just relax.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shinobi602 said:
Yeaaaa not having a PC that can run it would be pretty pathetic.

I didn't have one until last February. It's not as rare as you may think, but fair enough, don't let me get in the way of you stating the obvious.

Mister_Bubbles said:
I remember Bioware saying they wanted Mass Effect 3 to be more light-hearted than ME2. I hope they scrapped that idea; ME2 was pretty much spot on with its mood.

Really? I think you misinterpreted what they said. They specifically mentioned that ME3 will be even darker and more moody than the previous games, but they won't skip humor altogether though.

FoeHammer said:
So pumped, this is the best franchise in gaming.

All this Earth stuff in the promos has me thinking that the Earth will be blown to smithereens within the first hour of the game.
Which would suck as I've wanted to go to earth this entire time. It's going to suck if the only time I'm able to go to earth, it's getting it's shit fucked.

But it would probably just be another mall and not actual cities.

notworksafe

Snuggler said:
I chose him. He's a dick, but he's the kind of dick we need for a job like that. Anderson is a military man, not a politician.
I just wanted more Keith David so I went with Anderson.

I do not regret my decision.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It looks like they slapped a Commander Shepard render over Halo 3 concept art.

shinobi602 said:
Really? I think you misinterpreted what they said. They specifically mentioned that ME3 will be even darker and more moody than the previous games, but they won't skip humor altogether though.

Oh? Was sure I read some statement saying that ME2 was their 'moody middle section' and they wanted to inject a bit more humour in next time. Perhaps I did misinterpret it, in which case; good news!

Edit: Ah, here it is:

Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Casey Hudson begins with saying "We're not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place. The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it,"

... but then finishes with "Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

So, basically, just MOAR.

Jenga

Banned
IoCaster said:
femsheps are obnoxious people

good thing they aren't canon tho ;3

The only thing I want to see them talking about bringing back is the rpg elements. Shepard can dance on his head for all I care as long as I can finally play a rpg again.

Lime

Mister_Bubbles said:
Oh? Was sure I read some statement saying that ME2 was their 'moody middle section' and they wanted to inject a bit more humour in next time. Perhaps I did misinterpret it, in which case; good news!

Edit: Ah, here it is:

Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Casey Hudson begins with saying "We're not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place. The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it,"

... but then finishes with "Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

So, basically, just MOAR.

Basically what we should expect:

ewoks.jpg

Snuggler said:

Right?

Right, so they should have ported ME1 to the PS3 instead of giving us a piece of shit 10 minute comic that does not even tell the story properly and skips many decisions.

gdt

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Right, so they should have ported ME1 to the PS3 instead of giving us a piece of shit 10 minute comic that does not even tell the story properly and skips many decisions.

Apparently, they absolutely couldn't. I imagine Bioware would've loooooooved to put a ME1/2 combo pack out for PS3.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got ME2 today on PC. This one is a PC buy all the way since I'm running through ME and then 2 soon after.

ThoseDeafMutes said:

right because i'm sure Bioware and EA just decided to miss out on the money of porting ME1, there were absolutely no problems involved with making a port.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yes, because having a game published by Microsoft Game Studios - which I believe ME1 was - wouldn't be a problem for porting it to the PS3, right?

If there was a feasible way of having ported it, I'd like to think that BioWare/EA would have loved to have done it.

Riposte

itxaka said:
Yeah but that is more logical, he is a politician after all. It makes sense for that type of guy to be in charge.

That's only true in a world where Bioware doesn't suck at this. The truth is if you pick Udina, he'll betray you. If you pick Anderson, Udina... will betray you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why the fuck is he so brooding now? Dude's gotten more and more annoying looking in each of the games. I'm so tired of seeing brooding bastards. Nobody ever actually broods like this. Not even the zerg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom