• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Miyamoto Talks Pikmin, Wii U, New IPs and the Future of 3D Mario

Jado

Banned
That's some premium grade Bullshit on wanting to use full CPU power for Pikmin thus no online multi. I mean WOW.

Nintendo has been feeding us these same-y bullshit excuses for ten years now. Just be honest: Nintendo is really cheap and kinda lazy.

The Lamp

The lack of online is really inexcusable.

Unless the CPU is super weak and can't handle a game with Pikmin fidelity and online at the same time.....

No, it's completely inexcusable because plenty of games last generation with open world or many tasks to handle or that were CPU intensive had online play. GTA4 comes to mind.

Get a grip, Nintendo.

You are grasping at straws. You know it. (excpet for Xenoblade)

How so?

The complaint was that Nintendo always coupled new game play with Mario or Kirby and I showed that that was not the case. Your personal feelings toward the franchises mean nothing in this instance.

Just remember, when you're thinking of which character a new mechanic best fits, the answer is always either Mario or Kirby.

Sadly, this is actually pretty true, and it's a snowball effect.

Because Mario and Kirby have been in so many different types of games, it makes them the most suited for other new different types of games.

How so?

The complaint was that Nintendo always coupled new game play with Mario or Kirby and I showed that that was not the case. Your personal feelings toward the franchises mean nothing in this instance.

You forgot TW101 in your list :D

zoukka

Nintendo has been feeding us these same-y bullshit excuses for ten years now. Just be honest: Nintendo is really cheap and kinda lazy.

Well the "cheap" part has always been true. They are the only player in the market that always aims for profit day1 with all products and games.

espher

Nice interview, but I really wish Nintendo would try a new IP every now and then... Or at least use the smaller ones they have.

Has someone already flown into this thread and put out that list of Nintendo-created and/or Nintendo-published IP yet?

radcliff

That IP answer is sort of nonsense. Thinking of "new gameplay ideas" first is a good thing, but thinking "what character is suited to this gameplay" as in just going through the Nintendo rolodex and picking one of their old (usually overused) characters is not enough. He's discounting the role new characters, environments, and presentation adds to the experience. That answer reads more like Nintendo just not wanting to invest in new characters because it takes more work to create and market than falling back on established IPs

I don't get their reasoning either. Lets say Yoshio Sakamoto in SPD 1 thinks of a new gameplay idea for an action/adventure title, but someone decides it would make sense to shoehorn the gameplay idea in the Zelda universe rather than make a new IP. What happens then? Does Yoshio Sakamoto now not work on the game since his team doesn't work on Zelda games and his ideas go to Aonuma and the Zelda team? That can't be right.

batbeg

I don't give a fuck if they release new IPs or not, but I wish they would just so I wouldn't come across so much stupid bitching about their lack of new IPs.

Burbank_

Lol @ hyping fast sailing and grappling. How long did that take? 5 minutes? Thats it?

WW was the last game that needed a visual overhaul. There are major possibilities to improve gameplay and add content. This remake is a trainwreck compared to OOT 3DS. Make a WW Master's Quest, would buy ^_^

Midou

I love both galaxy games but I would hope they try something different instead of turning Galaxy into its own franchise.

This. What a ridiculous moving of the goalkposts by people in this thread.

Pushmo is one of the most unique new IPs I have played in years.

Ok that too

Point is people want new big IP's from EAD that aren't Minigame collections (Wii line of game, Nintendo Land). Something in the scale of Pikmin

educator

I hope Nintendo never does this. Not only does a "dark and grittier" theme not work with the universe Mario occupies, but not every story in videogames these days has to be "dark" and "gritty." There aren't enough stories these days that don't take themselves too seriously or are lighthearted, and it's a nice breath of fresh air that Nintendo keeps the tone of their games like that. Honestly, if the only thing preventing you from playing Nintendo games is the story – and not the gameplay – then I think you need to reevaluate your dislike for Nintendo games.

You make a valid point, and I agree that Nintendo does a great job with keeping Mario fun and lighthearted, while still providing a challenge. I shouldn't really have mentioned Mario in my original post; I was actually talking about Zelda, but it came out confusing. And if I wanted a "spookier" experience, theres always Luigis Mansion.

They do this all the time. But people don´t care - they only read Mario and assume it´s the same game frpm the 80s.

That's true, and I cant oppose you because I haven't played a Mario game since New Super Mario Bros on the DS.

Let me ask you this: would you like a new Witcher to be "re-invented" to look like a Zelda game?

I enjoy them both, and they are both great series. I would just like to see Zelda borrow stuff from other WRPG's, like the Witcher 2, because I think that could evolve Zelda even more. It's just my opinion, and if people want Nintendo to keep going like usual Im totally fine with that.

Darryl

Banned
You make a valid point, and I agree that Nintendo does a great job with keeping Mario fun and lighthearted, while still providing a challenge. I shouldn't really have mentioned Mario in my original post; I was actually talking about Zelda, but it came out confusing. And if I wanted a "spookier" experience, theres always Luigis Mansion.

I enjoy them both, and they are both great series. I would just like to see Zelda borrow stuff from other WRPG's, like the Witcher 2, because I think that could evolve Zelda even more. It's just my opinion, and if people want Nintendo to keep going like usual Im totally fine with that.

I don't know, man. Zelda is always going to be Zelda. You won't get a completely radical change. I can see them going back to the subtle-dark themes of Majora's Mask. Add that with HD and it might satisfy you. However, I don't think you'll ever get all of those things you want because you have a huge list. Dialog choices that change the world is an old, extremely cheap gimmick. It isn't timeless and it isn't modern. Leave that to the early 360 titles. If Nintendo did that, there version would be much different. If there's going to be a game-changing moment, Nintendo is going to want you to have to make that decision yourself via gameplay. It won't be in a simple dialog box and I doubt it'll be this huge/branching mess. The Witcher 2 graphics they've already said won't happen. It doesn't look like they're going anywhere near realism for awhile. It's expensive and wasteful, the last thing they want is Zelda to do is flop. What I like about Zelda is that they spend their budget going other things, making gameplay and music just as important to the experience. I don't want Zelda to enter the tech race, just stay in the gameplay race.

You are grasping at straws. You know it. (excpet for Xenoblade)

Wii Sports, Rhythm Heaven, and Pushmo were quality games!

Jado

Banned
This. What a ridiculous moving of the goalkposts by people in this thread.

Pushmo is one of the most unique new IPs I have played in years.

Wii Sports, Rhythm Heaven, and Pushmo were quality games!

These are fun but very cheap and forgettable mini-games that could be sold for a few bucks on a mobile app store. If you grew up with Nintendo games of immense scale and production values like Super Mario World and Ocarina of Time, and your expectation of a new IP is something equally important like Pikmin, then Wii Sports and Rhythm Heaven just don't pass the test. Quickly-made, low-budget games are not what Nintendo fans asked for when they want new must-have titles. These are not meaningful new IPs for someone looking to play the next innovative Mario Galaxy-caliber title, and we're in a really sad place if we have to resort to listing these games as "proof" that Nintendo is still doing things right.

Every time I see someone defending Nintendo's obvious screw-ups, it's always with a really sad, anemic list of games that proves the original point. JustRiffled gets it.

Point is people want new big IP's from EAD that aren't Minigame collections (Wii line of game, Nintendo Land). Something in the scale of Pikmin

educator

I don't know, man. Zelda is always going to be Zelda. You won't get a completely radical change. I can see them going back to the subtle-dark themes of Majora's Mask. Add that with HD and it might satisfy you. However, I don't think you'll ever get all of those things you want because you have a huge list. Dialog choices that change the world is an old, extremely cheap gimmick. It isn't timeless and it isn't modern. Leave that to the early 360 titles. If Nintendo did that, there version would be much different. If there's going to be a game-changing moment, Nintendo is going to want you to have to make that decision yourself via gameplay. It won't be in a simple dialog box and I doubt it'll be this huge/branching mess. The Witcher 2 graphics they've already said won't happen. It doesn't look like they're going anywhere near realism for awhile. It's expensive and wasteful, the last thing they want is Zelda to do is flop. What I like about Zelda is that they spend their budget going other things, making gameplay and music just as important to the experience. I don't want Zelda to enter the tech race, just stay in the gameplay race.

Yea, I would like too see them go back to the theme of Majoras Mask. That game to me was better than OoT, and it did scare me at times as kid. And yes, dialogue options could probably brake a game and run too far away from what made a franchise like Zelda so successful, but it could also make it interesting and deeper if done right. One of the reasons I've been mentioning The Witcher 2 is because of the graphics, and I still believe Zelda could be awesome looking like that. But then again, I would never want Nintendo to compromise music/gameplay.

I guess I just lost Nintendo somewhere along the line, and I feel kind of bitter about it. I thought the Gamecube was near perfection, but ever since the Wii I look at them differently, unfortunately. I could blame it on growing up, but then again, a game like Zelda just never grows old.

so am i supposed to play pikmin 3 with a wii remote and the gamepad in my lap or what

They actually have a stand for that :D

I just place it on the coffee table (in front of the TV). The Gamepad also has a light bar (for Wii remotes) built into it, which works best in the stand obviously.

With Pikmin 3 you can use what ever control set up you want though, which I appreciate.

These are fun but very cheap and forgettable mini-games that could be sold for a few bucks on a mobile app store. If you grew up with Nintendo games of immense scale and production values like Super Mario World and Ocarina of Time, and your expectation of a new IP is something equally important like Pikmin, then Wii Sports and Rhythm Heaven just don't pass the test. Quickly-made, low-budget games are not what Nintendo fans asked for when they want new must-have titles. These are not meaningful new IPs for someone looking to play the next innovative Mario Galaxy-caliber title, and we're in a really sad place if we have to resort to listing these games as "proof" that Nintendo is still doing things right.

Right, so there's been Disaster, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, X, The Wonderful 101, Endless Ocean, & Fossil Fighters.

Top Bottom