• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Miyamoto Talks Pikmin, Wii U, New IPs and the Future of 3D Mario

BowieZ

Banned
Following up on the brief article about Zelda Wii U, Game Informer has published its complete E3 interview with Miyamoto. (Source.)

I searched both GAF and Google and couldn't find any mention on GAF of any info from this particular interview. I think it's a pretty comprehensive interview with lots of interesting new tidbits, including:

...on the future of 3D Mario

What we tried to do with Super Mario 3D Land, was try to create a Mario game that was set in a 3D world that fell somewhere between the openness of the Galaxy games and the sidescrolling of the new Super Mario Bros. games to create a 3D Mario game that a wider array of people could play. And we felt that, with Super Mario 3D Land, we managed to achieve that. So, what we wanted to do was extend that broader appealing 3D Mario game to Wii U in a way that allow more people to experience it. That's what we chose for Super Mario 3D World this time. But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

...on the future of Metroid

We don't have anything that we're working on that we can discuss probably. But we've always - just as we do with all of our franchises - have people who are looking at what they can do next, even with the Metroid franchise as well. So hopefully, at some point, we'll be able to announce it.

...on new IPs

So I guess the only real change is that I'm probably working fewer hours. But that's just because I used to work a lot of hours before. I still oversee a number of different projects. The two projects that I'm most equally involved in right now are Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on Nintendo 3DS. But in addition to working directly and deeply on those two games, I'm also overseeing several of the other projects we're working on. [...]

Certainly within Nintendo, we have people internally who are saying, "Well, we have our old characters from our old games, and that's old IP, and we should think about creating new IP." But the question that we always ask is: "Does a new character really make it a new game?" And to me, the answer to that is, "No." What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions. So when we're creating a game, we're always looking at it from, "What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?" And then, "Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?"

...on developing for Wii U

I don't think it's a difficult system to develop for. Certainly, because it's Nintendo's first HD system and we're using a lot of shaders and things like that there's certainly things to learn from that perspective. Overall, in comparison to previous hardware I think it's actually pretty easy to develop for. [...]

So the hardware development and software development early on go pretty hand in hand. But certainly, as you spend more time with the hardware itself, and you get better at leveraging the hardware, you learn ways to draw out more of its power. So certainly I think that there's still more possibilities in terms of what we'll be able to do with the Wii U.

...on the GamePad

Well certainly I think that when it comes to touchscreens - and obviously not just gaming but a lot of other devices, are taking advantage of touch screen technology - and from an intuitive use standpoint, I think it's very integral to video gaming just because of the ease with which you're able to design the games in a way that anybody can play with just the touch of a finger in terms of menu selections and things like that. But, really for Wii U where we look at the benefit of the gamepad screen, is we really look at it as sort of a requirement in terms of how we're handling menus and sub-screens within the games. Just to make the games more convenient and easier to play.[...]

The one thing that we don't do is take a posture of requiring people to develop their games in particular ways. For example, with regard to touchscreen gaming, we think it's great if people want to design their games for our systems in ways that take advantage of the touch screen, but we're not going to require it. We don't think necessarily that developers should be required to have something unique that leverages the 3D visuals in their gameplay.

...on Wind Waker changes

Well we've actually made a number of different improvements. I think the previous game, the length and the player pacing of it was something we thought we could improve on. For example, this time we've added an additional sail, that allows the boat to travel faster this time than it did in the original GameCube game. And when you're dropping your crane down in the ocean to hunt for sunken treasure, the length of the chain on the crane is shorter so you spend less time on that. So it basically helps to speed up the gameplay a little bit. So the pacing has really been improved upon.

...on Pikmin 3's lack of online

The multiplayer is local only. We wanted to make it online, but partly, one of the reasons we didn't is we really wanted to use the full CPU power to really create this natural world. But also, the other thing that is important about the cooperative play in this game is that it's important for the players to really be able to communicate. So that's why local play is much better, because of the speed and the patience in which you're communicating about going after the apple or the other different items, and trying to approach the level in that sense.

Obviously the game is compatible with widescreen televisions. Breaking down having split screen multiplayer in full HD on larger widescreen televisions is much better than the old split-screen that we used to have.

...on what's new in Pikmin 3

One of the things that's probably most important from that standpoint is the fact that because you're using the pointer now to aim, it gives you the ability to be more precise and aim at specific parts of the enemies' bodies. So, for example, when you're fighting a Bulborb, if you throw Pikmin specifically on its eyes, what happens is it will close its eyes and it will stop moving for a moment. That gives you an advantage. So you're able to aim at specific body parts so you have some enemies who maybe its the eyes that are beneficial to attack and others, maybe it's better to attack softer portions or towards the rear. And then the other thing along those same lines, with the rock Pikmin in particular, with them they do a larger amount of damage with specific points they hit. Which you weren't able to do in previous Pikmin games. And so, by carefully aiming with the rock Pikmin at specific points on the enemy's body, you can damage the enemy in that way. Because you've got much more precision in terms of your aiming in the battles it essentially just opens up a lot more strategic possibilities in the game.

The original Pikmin was designed in a way to make it very easy to navigate in a 3D space. If you recall, in that game when you had the control stick control, you were controlling essentially both the cursor for aiming as well as the character. With the addition now of the analog stick on the nunchuk plus the ability to aim with the pointer, what that does is it basically makes it so that you can be running away from something but still aiming and pointing and throwing Pikmin at it, which is going to be very handy for boss battles and things like that. So, certainly, the Wii Remote and nunchuk style is something that's probably going to be a little bit better for people who are more novice players, but maybe more advanced players might go for just the button controls.

And then, of course, [there is] the addition of the wing Pikmin, the wing Pikmin are very adept creatures that fly in the air, but also they're able to pick up objects and carry them through the air over obstacles. The addition of these new abilities opens up a great deal of strategy, so a lot of the gameplay then becomes you really thinking deeply about, "Ok, how many different Pikmin do I want to bring with me of each type?" when you're breaking up your teams. [...]

But also, because the map is so important in this game, while you're playing with the pointer you'll want to have access to the map and be able to use the touchscreen. We designed it with those two interactions initially in mind. But then, also, because of the touchscreen interaction with the map, we also thought there may be cases where people would prefer just to play on the GamePad and have button control with the map interaction. So you can do that, where you're playing on the TV, you have the GamePad in your hands, you're playing with button control. But there's also people who maybe just want to sit back, so we've also got Wii Remote controller support for people who want to play that way.

And when you're playing with the button control, it's fairly close to the Nintendo GameCube control style. So as people perhaps get better, they may graduate from the Wii Remote and Nunchuck to just the GamePad. And, of course, you can also play only on the GamePad off TV, where you have the TV turned off or turned on something else, and you're just switching back and forth between the gameplay and the map.

Humbly willing to be T-minus 2 crappy threads'd if old.

Himself

Sounds like Gamepad implementation was an afterthought for Pikmin 3. It's a bit disappointing. I wonder if it began development on Wii.

phanboy4

Certainly within Nintendo, we have people internally who are saying, "Well, we have our old characters from our old games, and that's old IP, and we should think about creating new IP." But the question that we always ask is: "Does a new character really make it a new game?" And to me, the answer to that is, "No." What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions. So when we're creating a game, we're always looking at it from, "What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?" And then, "Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?"

Yes. Miyamoto. That's true. And you still aren't really doing it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That's some premium grade Bullshit on wanting to use full CPU power for Pikmin thus no online multi. I mean WOW.

IrishNinja

pretty good exerts...dyin to hear something about Metroid, really. also i hope the next Mario isn't a Galaxy, personally.

"Does a new character really make it a new game?" And to me, the answer to that is, "No." What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions. So when we're creating a game, we're always looking at it from, "What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?" And then, "Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?"
i know some elements of GAF won't like this answer, but i can dig it

So when we're creating a game, we're always looking at it from, "What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?" And then, "Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?"

Cringe worthy. Milk those characters like there's no tomorrow Nintendo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Always the same BS statements when asked about why online gameplay is missing :lol
Still like the guy though, can't wait for Pikmin 3.

Note his Metroid comments in comparison to his ones on F-Zero. Sounds like something is in its early stages. I have hope!

His comments on 3D World basically confirm my thoughts that its designed to appeal to more people. 2D Mario sells much better than 3D and 3D Land has sold better its first year than Galaxy in is first year. Still his comments also give me hope for Galaxy 3.

Frodo

Nice interview, but I really wish Nintendo would try a new IP every now and then... Or at least use the smaller ones they have.

Effect

Sounds like Gamepad implementation was an afterthought for Pikmin 3. It's a bit disappointing. I wonder if it began development on Wii.

It did. That's always been the case and why the game still looks structurally like the previous games as it was designed with the Wii in mind. It was suppose to have been released years ago I believe as well.

The refusal to make "new characters" is going to bite them in the ass if it hasn't already. People have a clear understanding and belief as to what "new" is. Just once in modern times I'd like for Nintendo to stop purposefully fighting against the direction of the wind. If you have an idea for a new game style then make a new character and market it. Stop taking new and interesting ideas and slapping old IPs on it. That's how we got Star Fox Adventure and Kirby's Epic Yarn. That crap doesn't need to happen. If the gameplay idea is good enough it can stand on it's own.

Nibel

We don't have anything that we're working on that we can discuss probably. But we've always - just as we do with all of our franchises - have people who are looking at what they can do next, even with the Metroid franchise as well. So hopefully, at some point, we'll be able to announce it.

Metroid and F-ZERO, Nintendo

Those two and the world belongs to you

Himself

Note his Metroid comments in comparison to his ones on F-Zero. Sounds like something is in its early stages. I have hope!

His comments on 3D World basically confirm my thoughts that its designed to appeal to more people. 2D Mario sells much better than 3D and 3D Land has sold better its first year than Galaxy in is first year. Still his comments also give me hope for Galaxy 3.

Yeah, Nintendo hasn't really given me a single good reason to be excited for 3D World.

And regarding another Galaxy, I don't want one. The first two were excellent, but at this point I'd rather see a brand new iteration of the franchise with none of this NSMB/3D Land influence nonsense.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
OK that makes sense. I don't want to use my crusty old Wiimote unless I'm playing Sin & Punishment again.

And you don't have to. You can use a normal pad and use the inferior aiming controls from the GameCube titles.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some interesting informations here. What I speculate out of this:

- There will be a Super Mario Galaxy, probably together with Zelda for holiday 2015
- There will be a Metroid, probably late 2014 or early 2015
- For Pimkin 3, the development was quite advanced for Wii, so they did not have time to reinvented it (gamepad oriented, online) and rather choose to upgrade the graphics and AI.

Vanille

His comments on the gamepad do not instill confidence. They really didn't think it through at all. What a mess.

Effect

According to Miyamoto and Nintendo, having clear pipes is a new gameplay experience and warrants a sequel to 3D land.

I keep thinking I'm missing something when this is talked about. "That's really stupid' is the first thing that comes to mind and it keeps reappearing.

Edit:

I really think the purpose behind the gamepad is so they can simply share games and gameplay styles with the 3DS. To make menu and ability selections easier. Basically how it's been used so far. That's it. I don't think there is any other deeper meaning behind it.

The IP answer makes sense in a way.

If they are going to make a game about a sword guy...then why not make it a Zelda game or use Takamaru or something?

They have a shitton of characters to use.

Simply creating a new one just so dudes can stop being mad is silly. Mario is a tad bit overused but it;s mainly due to him being rathe versitile (and he fucking sells).

Mario Golf does better JimBobs Golf. Mario Kart does better than KartDude Racing and so on and so on. Now if we get Mario Spacemarine then you can be mad.

i think that's what he was oging for with that answer.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On Mario: some may have to accept that Nintendo is in the business of selling games, and the bald fact is 2D Mario has historically sold far better than 3D. The 3D Land / World experiment is a pretty clear attempt to get more people who don't like 3D Mario to love it.

Otherwise, a lot of people aren't going to like their stance on IP, but in terms of the principle of the matter they're right.

Most games involve derivative and stereotypical "themes" and original characters that are just a slight variation of whatever is popular or trendy in pop culture at the moment. This is apparently sufficient to make a lot of people feel they're playing new games, even when underneath the character the game is virtually identical to X number of other games in its genre.

Nintendo is also perpetually discredited by people for never making those new game ideas and new IP because some seem offended that not every game is aimed squarely at a certain kind of hardcore Nintendo lifer. Aka if I don't like it, it's a non-game, it doesn't count, etc. When Nintendo deploys a wholly new IP or game world they generally put enough design and effort into it so that it's built to last. Something that will pay off far into the future.

Having said that, Nintendo does have a major issue with not using the full breadth and scope of their really large library of properties. This may be their traditional conservatism speaking and making them afraid of committing to big games that may flop because the IP won't be popular with enough people - aka, the F-Zero problem.

Hindle

Banned
I think the next big game in the Mario franchise will be out in 2015. You know, the game that innovates the franchise.

The Mario game due to release this year looks to be smaller in scale.

Skyzard

Banned
On Mario: some may have to accept that Nintendo is in the business of selling games, and the bald fact is 2D Mario has historically sold far better than 3D. The 3D Land / World experiment is a pretty clear attempt to get more people who don't like 3D Mario to love it.

Otherwise, a lot of people aren't going to like their stance on IP, but in terms of the principle of the matter they're right.

Most games involve derivative and stereotypical "themes" and original characters that are just a slight variation of whatever is popular or trendy in pop culture at the moment. This is apparently sufficient to make a lot of people feel they're playing new games, even when underneath the character the game is virtually identical to X number of other games in its genre.

Nintendo is also perpetually discredited by people for never making those new game ideas and new IP because some seem offended that not every game is aimed squarely at a certain kind of hardcore Nintendo lifer. Aka if I don't like it, it's a non-game, it doesn't count, etc. When Nintendo deploys a wholly new IP or game world they generally put enough design and effort into it so that it's built to last. Something that will pay off far into the future.

Having said that, Nintendo does have a major issue with not using the full breadth and scope of their really large library of properties. This may be their traditional conservatism speaking and making them afraid of committing to big games that may flop because the IP won't be popular with enough people - aka, the F-Zero problem.

It's great, and a very good idea - the problem is it took priority over a new galaxy game.

Good skill pacing releasing them this way...for casuals.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Mario is a tad bit overused but it;s mainly due to him being rathe versitile (and he fucking sells).

Mario Golf does better JimBobs Golf. Mario Kart does better than KartDude Racing and so on and so on. Now if we get Mario Spacemarine then you can be mad.

Well, Wii U could really use a Mario Strikers U with FIFA and PES missing.

"We can't wait to show you all the new possibilities with the Wii U Gamepad".

6 months later: "It's good for menus and settings".

Galang

Banned
I'd probably enjoy Galaxy 3 compared to whatever else they could come up with. The first two are my favourite games so I wouldn't mind in the slightest. I don't see them doing another one regardless, unless they really feel they can bring a lot of new ideas to the table. So only time will tell I guess.

N0N1337H41

Neo Member
Cringe worthy. Milk those characters like there's no tomorrow Nintendo.

I agree. I thought he was getting ready to impart some wisdom that I had been missing, but then he just essentially contradicts his own point.

All of this makes me a bit sad, because I grew up with the NES. I lived far out in the country and I had no other children to play with. Mario and Link were my best friends for years. I keep buying Nintendo consoles because of the emotional attachment I had to the original NES, but I've become so bored with what Nintendo produces. I'm at the point now where Nintendo has used up all of its nostalgia points with me. And that means that unless their next console is something amazing, I won't be buying it. It's sad for me to say goodbye to an old friend, but it's far past time that we go our separate ways. I thought my son would be the reason for me keeping Nintendo alive in our house, but he chooses to spend far more time playing cheap games off the the Android Marketplace. Nintendo, when my nine-year-old calls you out for milking franchises [not in those words, but the sentiment was the same], you've got problems.

Camwi

The multiplayer is local only. We wanted to make it online, but partly, one of the reasons we didn't is we really wanted to use the full CPU power to really create this natural world. But also, the other thing that is important about the cooperative play in this game is that it's important for the players to really be able to communicate. So that's why local play is much better, because of the speed and the patience in which you're communicating about going after the apple or the other different items, and trying to approach the level in that sense.

All of which would be JUST FINE will proper voice chat and online play. Get with the friggin' times, Nintendo. :mad:

wrowa

I don't think it's reasonable to expect another major IP from Miyamoto. He's old and probably satisfied with what he's done for the industry. There's no reason for him to make up another franchise from scratch instead of using one of the many IPs he helped creating.

What Nintendo is missing, however, is a young follow-up to Miyamoto with strong ideas that have the potential to rival Miyamoto's franchise in popularity. Being dependent on the same franchises for forever is not really future-proof in the long run. Instead of resting on Mario's success they also have to deliver what might become the next Mario.

According to Miyamoto and Nintendo, having clear pipes is a new gameplay experience and warrants a sequel to 3D land.

But another sequel to Mario 64 would be fine?

I honestly don't get that line of reasoning. 3D Land was a re-imagining of 3D Mario that changed the concept of Mario in 3D quite fundamentally. And yet a sequel that follows the concept that was used a single time so far is worse than a sequel that follows another concept for the ... 5th time.

I'd have preferred a follow up to the old 3D style too, but that kind of arguing doesn't make sense to me.

Skyzard

Banned
That's some premium grade Bullshit on wanting to use full CPU power for Pikmin thus no online multi. I mean WOW.

I always though Pikmin was quite CPU intensive with all the pikmin the players can have - rather than the environment, which would stay the same in mp really.

Otherwise it seems like an awesome series for the 3DS also.

Well, Wii U could really use a Mario Strikers U with FIFA and PES missing.

A brand new one would be fantastic for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The lack of online is really inexcusable.

Unless the CPU is super weak and can't handle a game with Pikmin fidelity and online at the same time.....

JoeM86

Yes, let's just use one feature, not the new suits which change how you play levels, and the fact it's multiplayer...yep it's all about the clear pipes (which do actually provide altered gameplay)

The lack of online is really inexcusable.

Unless the CPU is super weak and can't handle a game with Pikmin fidelity and online at the same time.....

Tracking hundreds of Pikmin all moving in realtime, and sending this and receiving it at the same time is CPU intensive.

Hell, on Halo Wars, the 360 slows down and has lag when you have 40 hornets attacking a base. Let alone 200. As a person with a degree in computing technology, and internet technology, I can tell you outright that this is definitely an issue that exists.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Upon re-reading the Gamepad quotes, it sounds more like he is just emphasizing how generally useful the second screen is for interface purposes rather than saying "lol we have no ideas for it". It's followed immediately by the remark that they don't want to force 3rd parties to make only games built exclusively around the gamepad.

FauX

New IP's uh? I'm sure a lot of gaffers would rather have F-zero and Star Fox than any New IP from Nintendo. I am.

The IP answer makes sense in a way.

If they are going to make a game about a sword guy...then why not make it a Zelda game or use Takamaru or something?

They have a shitton of characters to use.

Simply creating a new one just so dudes can stop being mad is silly. Mario is a tad bit overused but it;s mainly due to him being rathe versitile (and he fucking sells).

i think that's what he was oging for with that answer.

My only problem with this thinking is that it starts to get convoluted with each iteration.

The item I liked most in Zelda Skyward Sword was the one that morphed the world into the past. It was smart and fresh.

But introducing it in Zelda was not smart. They were forced to limit it to just one dungeon and had to come up with a weak plotline to justify it being in Zelda.

It would have been smarter to just make a whole new IP that focus on that gameplay style.

I love hearing "Oh god, they are making a single sequel to Mario 3D Land! Nintendo is milking the shit out of it! Oh man there's no innovation there, just Multiplayer and level design! Why couldn't they have just made Mario Galaxy 3, with one new power up and level design improvements! Ohhhh the lack of innovation!"

You guys are fucking morons.

Bruno MB

Reading what he says about the present and future of Mario 3D, my dream of a sequel to Super Mario 64 is less likely than ever.

JDSN

Banned
I agree with this views on IP use, at least in its logic, Ubisoft prides itself on Watch_Dogs but the only reason it exists is because they cant present Assasin's Creed 4 and 5 side by side.

Still a fucking damn shame that 3DLand its the logical conclusion to its "NEW" approach, I have the feeling that same goals will be the ones set for the next Zelda.

Tracking hundreds of Pikmin all moving in realtime, and sending this and receiving it at the same time is CPU intensive.

Hell, on Halo Wars, the 360 slows down and has lag when you have 40 hornets attacking a base. Let alone 200. As a person with a degree in computing technology, and internet technology, I can tell you outright that this is definitely an issue that exists.

As someone with a degree in computing and internet technology, your first thought would be that you'd have to send and receive every single update of every single Pikmin in the game? Really?

Top Bottom