• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Miyamoto Talks Pikmin, Wii U, New IPs and the Future of 3D Mario

Yado

I love hearing "Oh god, they are making a single sequel to Mario 3D Land! Nintendo is milking the shit out of it! Oh man there's no innovation there, just Multiplayer and level design! Why couldn't they have just made Mario Galaxy 3, with one new power up and level design improvements! Ohhhh the lack of innovation!"

You guys are fucking morons.

Well said. I don't see why it's so outlandish that Nintendo would want to appeal to a broader range of people in an effort to boost console sales.

NeonZ

Well said. I don't see why it's so outlandish that Nintendo would want to appeal to a broader range of people in an effort to boost console sales.

The main issue is that NSMBU has clearly shown that this kind of "broad appeal" doesn't work as a system seller. There's a high attach rate, but clearly it hasn't moved enough consoles. They'll likely just hit a wall again by going in the same direction with 3d Mario, unless the multiplayer explodes in popularity.

Maxrunner

StarFox(still hope platinum games gets to do it), F-Zero,metroid, StarTropics, Stunt Race Fx, wave race, 1080º.........so many wasted opportunities...

MegalonJJ

Banned
But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

Considering the (lack of) sales for the system, it looks like they went with 3D World to attempt to boost the userbase. It will be interesting to see if it works.

That aside, here's hoping they release a 3D Mario title with 64/Sunshine/Galaxy controls, i.e. full analogue control and no run button.

Yado

The main issue is that NSMBU has clearly shown that this kind of "broad appeal" doesn't work as a system seller. There's a high attach rate, but clearly it hasn't moved enough consoles anyway. They'll likely just hit a wall again by going in the same direction with 3d Mario, unless the multiplayer explodes in popularity.

People have probably reached their limit with the NSMB series as it doesn't differ too much from the Wii and 3DS versions in the eyes of the average person. SM3DW is introducing gameplay elements that haven't been seen before in 3D Mario games, I think this will be different.

My only problem with this thinking is that it starts to get convoluted with each iteration.

The item I liked most in Zelda Skyward Sword was the one that morphed the world into the past. It was smart and fresh.

But introducing it in Zelda was not smart. They were forced to limit it to just one dungeon and had to come up with a weak plotline to justify it being in Zelda.

It would have been smarter to just make a whole new IP that focus on that gameplay style.

For sure, sometimes they stretch this too far.

If anything, they should at least use their other franchises. KI:U could have easily been Kirby's Air Ride Shooter EXTRRREEEEEME or something but it wasn't and thus we got a game that felt new.

I also think the real issue is that they launched the 3dS and then the Wii U kinda close to each other so we have to get through the known brands first and thus a lot of Mario games at once it seems. After ALTTP2 comes out, the 3DS should basically have all of it's core Nintendo franchises on it...so hopefully we begin to see something new (or Advance Wars...pls). The Wii U still have to get it's Mario Party, It's Mario Tennis, It's Mario Golf, It's Paper Mario, It's Animal Crossing, it's Zelda....add to the fact that it is bombing hard as fuck, I wouldn't expect anythign but stuff that sells at this point...because they gotta sell consoles..and like it or not, people aren't buying a Wii U for Jimmy Joes Adventure, no matter how awesome it might be. But they might buy it for Zelda or Mario. It's probably why Retro went with Donkey Kong over new stuff (or Metroid...trolololol) because it sells.

I definately want never before seen stuff from Nintendo or at least more revivals and stuff but I get why we don't see many of them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
StarFox(still hope platinum games gets to do it), F-Zero,metroid, StarTropics, Stunt Race Fx, wave race, 1080º.........so many wasted opportunities...

They need to produce games for this system until 2017. Is anyone seriously expecting that they will put out all the franchises in the first 2 years?

Skyzard

Banned
They need to produce games for this system until 2017. Is anyone seriously expecting that they will put out all the franchises in the first 2 years?

Not all, but the more 'hardcore' games earlier on for the hardcore userbase to enjoy since they bought their system at a high price.

Galaxy is a hardcore series now :'( - [And so in limbo like other 'HC' Nintendo series]

jmls1121

Banned
My only problem with this thinking is that it starts to get convoluted with each iteration.

The item I liked most in Zelda Skyward Sword was the one that morphed the world into the past. It was smart and fresh.

But introducing it in Zelda was not smart. They were forced to limit it to just one dungeon and had to come up with a weak plotline to justify it being in Zelda.

It would have been smarter to just make a whole new IP that focus on that gameplay style.

Wait, a mechanic that allowed you to travel between time periods is limited because it was included in a ZELDA game? What in the hell are you talking about? Have you heard of Ocarina of Time and Oracle of Ages?

The timestones were genius, but they would have gotten old if the entire game was about that.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect another major IP from Miyamoto. He's old and probably satisfied with what he's done for the industry. There's no reason for him to make up another franchise from scratch instead of using one of the many IPs he helped creating.

What Nintendo is missing, however, is a young follow-up to Miyamoto with strong ideas that have the potential to rival Miyamoto's franchise in popularity. Being dependent on the same franchises for forever is not really future-proof in the long run. Instead of resting on Mario's success they also have to deliver what might become the next Mario.

the next mario huh...I dunno, doesn't matter with what you come up with it will always be kind of a random looking mascot. like all the 90's mascots.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not all, but the more 'hardcore' games earlier on for the hardcore userbase to enjoy since they bought their system at a high price.

Galaxy is a hardcore series now :'(

Their bet is bringing the popular series first (Mario 3d, DK, Mario Kart) to boost up the sales. They need this for both their "hardcore" series and 3rd party support. And actually the Nintendo "hardcore" series could benefit from this and become more popular. StarFox, F-Zero,metroid, StarTropics, Stunt Race Fx, wave race launched now would not sale together as much as Mario 3d and DK or Mario Kart alone.

The only question now is if this bet holds of.

Well we've actually made a number of different improvements. I think the previous game, the length and the player pacing of it was something we thought we could improve on. For example, this time we've added an additional sail, that allows the boat to travel faster this time than it did in the original GameCube game. And when you're dropping your crane down in the ocean to hunt for sunken treasure, the length of the chain on the crane is shorter so you spend less time on that. So it basically helps to speed up the gameplay a little bit. So the pacing has really been improved upon.

Killing the immersion. They should have made the crane move faster. Not really a fan of that boat traveling faster either. There was already a shortcut function in the game.. The larger and deeper that ocean seems to be, the more I'm immersed into the game world.

Man, 'broad appeal' is responsible for hurting all beloved game concepts.

LeleSocho

Banned
I love hearing "Oh god, they are making a single sequel to Mario 3D Land! Nintendo is milking the shit out of it! Oh man there's no innovation there, just Multiplayer and level design! Why couldn't they have just made Mario Galaxy 3, with one new power up and level design improvements! Ohhhh the lack of innovation!"

You guys are fucking morons.

Too bad that almost no one wanted a fucking Galaxy 3 but instead everyone expected an entire new Mario, get your factoids straight next time before naming everyones morons.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seems to me like he might've just been honest when he probably shouldn't have.

Yes, let's just use one feature, not the new suits which change how you play levels, and the fact it's multiplayer...yep it's all about the clear pipes (which do actually provide altered gameplay)

Tracking hundreds of Pikmin all moving in realtime, and sending this and receiving it at the same time is CPU intensive.

Hell, on Halo Wars, the 360 slows down and has lag when you have 40 hornets attacking a base. Let alone 200. As a person with a degree in computing technology, and internet technology, I can tell you outright that this is definitely an issue that exists.

I always though Pikmin was quite CPU intensive with all the pikmin the players can have - rather than the environment, which would stay the same in mp really.

Otherwise it seems like an awesome series for the 3DS also.

A brand new one would be fantastic for me.
I'm not sure you people all understand. There's a split screen multiplayer mode on the GAMECUBE (and presumably this as well. ) Unless the WiiU has a cpu that is worse than the GC and can't budget sending online instructions, its absolute total BULLSHIT.

Exile20

Too bad that almost no one wanted a fucking Galaxy 3 but instead everyone expected an entire new Mario, get your factoids straight next time before naming everyones morons.

Are you sure? It seemed like the majority on this board wanted a Galaxy 3.

Exile20

I'm not sure you people all understand. There's a split screen multiplayer mode on the GAMECUBE (and presumably this as well. ) Unless the WiiU has a cpu that is worse than the GC and can't budget sending online instructions, its absolute total BULLSHIT.

This would hold some water if it was the same game. Graphics are worlds apart from the GC version.

Have you played Pikmin? Yes, it really would have to be sent

I have, but why? You're either throwing Pikmin at something as fast as you can hammer the button, or you're controlling the flock as a single unit. The worst-case scenario would be two players running into each other with their flocks out, but that would be a 50/50 cluster-fuck anyway, and I don't think anyone would notice any slight discrepancy in what they're seeing and what's happening in terms of the game logic. Hell, even offline the mechanics are not exactly what I'd call crisp, and can be (charmingly) haphazard and vague - if not downright buggy - at times.

Dysun

His answers to the no-online Pikmin 3 and Gamepad integration are cringe-worthy.

Yeah the CPU stopped us from putting in multiplayer, and it's better to communicate in person. You really believe this shit? Nintendo is 500 steps behind in online, it's not in the game because they made the choice not to include it.

He basically says they dont have any ideas for the gamepad except for menus. /Insert MK Horn Pic

I think you may be the one not understanding?

How do you engineer your software to compensate for the latency from a hundred Pikmin being transferred online to four different machines at all times? You either have the lag or you divert processing power to compensate for it, no? It's not like the internet is magic, how does it work?

In other words, the mainline Mario games have now been completely devalued. And some potential Galaxy 3 certainly isn't gonna make this better anymore, in fact that would have also been disappointing (a tad less than 3D Land 2, but still).
At least some spin offs apparently keep up the standard you'd expect... (Dream Team preordered, hopefully delivered this week)

Exile20

Over 3d World? Of course i would have preferred too but everyone was expecting and wanted a new thing.

What is new to you? This game seems pretty new and it is loads of fun to play(I played it at the Best Buy experience thingy). Does "NEW" trump fun?

This is a culmination of all of the Marios.

As someone with a degree in computing and internet technology, your first thought would be that you'd have to send and receive every single update of every single Pikmin in the game? Really?

if you aren't doing that you're doing prediction on them, which, again, yeah is going to add more work to the CPU.

a flock of pikmin is not like a unit. it's a mix of lots of different little dudes with different abilities. if you lose the last of a specific type, because it wasn't tracking them all individually, you'd be frustrated no?

his answer gives us more evidence that the CPU is weak. what's the alternative to believe? laziness? it's not like the weak CPU makes Nintendo look great.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think you may be the one not understanding?

How do you engineer your software to compensate for the latency from a hundred Pikmin being transferred online to four different machines at all times? You either have the lag or you divert processing power to compensate for it, no? It's not like the internet is magic, how does it work?

If the console is doing splitscreen multiplayer (note I havent said anything about 4 player, even 2 player online would be a feat!), the CPU is calculating all that shit on your screen, for those people. Take those people away off that screen, now its online. Sending the information of what that other player is doing as well as receiving in kind and running that through the CPU is something a 2012 console should be more than capable of. If its not, the entire hardware department needs firing into the sun.

Pikmin is also not some 120fps fighting game where "its impossible to play online". This is just the same old Nintendo liexcuse bullshit as there was with NSMB Wii/U/2 and of course the same that there will be for 3D World.

If the console is doing splitscreen multiplayer (note I havent said anything about 4 player, even 2 player online would be a feat!), the CPU is calculating all that shit on your screen, for those people. Take those people away off that screen, now its online. Sending the information of what that other player is doing as well as receiving in kind and running that through the CPU is something a 2012 console should be more than capable of. If its not, the entire hardware department needs firing into the sun.

Pikmin is also not some 120fps fighting game where "its impossible to play online". This is just the same old Nintendo liexcuse bullshit as there was with NSMB Wii/U/2 and of course the same that there will be for 3D World.

prediction isn't free.

what alternate reason to the one given are you suggesting? what motivation do Nintendo have to provide an alternative answer to the one you are suggesting?

JoeM86

It is not that easy, it really isn't. Other RTS games struggle with such things, as I mentioned in regards to Halo Wars. It's not just the processing of it, it's the transmitting and receiving of the data and translating it across two or more consoles, with latency.

The only way it could feasibly be done is by severely reducing the amount of Pikmin you can use. In doing so, it gimps the game.

creid

So, Nintendo putting graphics before gameplay?
The multiplayer is local only. We wanted to make it online, but partly, one of the reasons we didn't is we really wanted to use the full CPU power to really create this natural world.
Yes he has a bit of a point that communication is important, but it's not like the Wii U in incapable of voice chat.

LeleSocho

Banned
What is new to you? This game seems pretty new and it is loads of fun to play(I played it at the Best Buy experience thingy). Does "NEW" trump fun?

This is a culmination of all of the Marios.

How is 3dworld new when 3dland has been available for 2 years?
New is what SM64 has been confronted to World or how Galaxy has been confronted to 64...
Certainly it's not when you pick the same game add a couple of power ups and mantain the same exact gameplay and look (in case you don't get it i'm talking about NSMB series and at this point the 3d"something" series)

Oh and please, this is nothing like the culmination of all of the Mario games it lacks fundamental characteristics of some of the crucial mario games like the openness of the worlds and incredibly easy and tight controls, at best is a mix of controls of 2d games which translate awfully in a 3d world and look of Galaxy without the "organic planet" theme.

if you aren't doing that you're doing prediction on them, which, again, yeah is going to add more work to the CPU.

a flock of pikmin is not like a unit. it's a mix of lots of different little dudes with different abilities. if you lose the last of a specific type, because it wasn't tracking them all individually, you'd be frustrated no?

If you're using the flock movement thing, they you can't have any expectations about what type of units you're going to lose, as you don't have anything but broad control over it. If you're firing off the Pikmin individually, then I don't see why there should be a problem. Just because you're not sending fine detail about what every single Pikmin is doing for every single update doesn't mean the general status for each Pikmin isn't known by both clients.

I don't like the line about new IPs. Old IPs have baggage, the history always comes up and has to accommodated for. A Zelda-like game where you play as a praying mantis is kind of different a Zelda game starring Link and all that triforce bullshit

Pie and Beans

It is not that easy, it really isn't. Other RTS games struggle with such things, as I mentioned in regards to Halo Wars. It's not just the processing of it, it's the transmitting and receiving of the data and translating it across two or more consoles, with latency.

The only way it could feasibly be done is by severely reducing the amount of Pikmin you can use. In doing so, it gimps the game.

Seem to remember there was plenty of fun to be had with Pikmin 2's multiplayer which had... what.... 50 Pikmin team counts?

NotLiquid

Miyamoto has the right idea about new IPs.

Logistically, a character is only a character, and depending on how much you deviate from that said brand in terms of game play, it may make sense to merely apply all of said character into bringing new ideas. This is why Mario used to be a powerhouse of a franchise in terms of creativity because no bounds could stop him from being kind of an icon for innovation. Games like Paper Mario 2 proved he could thrive in a universe with anarchic rules and humor, while Galaxy wouldn't be nearly as fondly regarded if it were under any other character or name.

The issue is that they just don't come up with many brand new ideas for new games period, and if they do they don't get nearly the same amount of Nintendo recognition that they need to get from their publishers.

Seem to remember there was plenty of fun to be had with Pikmin 2's multiplayer which had... what.... 50 Pikmin team counts?

Local =/= Online. He's not arguing about the former.

popeutlal

Lack of cpu power caused lack of online for Pikmin ay, it's the same excuse they used for lack of online play in the NSMB for Wii lol.

JoeM86

How is 3dworld new when 3dland has been available for 2 years?
New is what SM64 has been confronted to World or how Galaxy has been confronted to 64...
Certainly it's not when you pick the same game add a couple of power ups and mantain the same exact gameplay and look (in case you don't get it i'm talking about NSMB series and at this point the 3d"something" series)

Oh and please, this is nothing like the culmination of all of the Mario games it lacks fundamental characteristics of some of the crucial mario games like the openness of the worlds and incredibly easy and tight controls, at best is a mix of controls of 2d games which translate awfully in a 3d world and look of Galaxy without the "organic planet" theme.

Easy, it's new because it's a new game. Totally new levels, totally new mechanics, totally new multiplayer. It's not a port, it's a new game.

You say it lacks an openness of the worlds? Mario has seldom had that, it certainly didn't in Galaxy and Galaxy 2 which were, for the mostpart, incredibly linear. It also has easy and tight controls.

If starcraft could have online multiplayer with 8 players each controlling 200 units that spread across multiple types back in 1998, then Pikmin3 can be online.

Anyone buying Miyamoto's excuse/lie is really naive.

Top Bottom