• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Miyamoto Talks Pikmin, Wii U, New IPs and the Future of 3D Mario

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Seems like 3D Land and 3D World are attempts to get more of the fans of 2D Mario into 3D Mario, recognizing that the side scrollers still sell a lot more. It really sounds like what a lot of game designers did in the early PS1 days -- basically make games that still feel like 2D games but are rendered in polygons. And back then a certain subgroup of the casual audience did drop out of gaming once dual analog camera control came into play.

And for the new IP thing, I wouldn't want NIntendo to come out with a new IP just for the sake of having a new IP. I'd want it to be a new gameplay type that feels fresh and completely different form what they've established already.

I admit that their approach is a hazy line. Mario Kart could've been a new IP. Smash Bros. could've been a new IP. Kid Icarus Uprising could've been a new IP. Kirby's Canvas Curse could've been a new IP.

And technically, Nintendo DID make successful new IPs last gen in the form of the Wii series, Nintendogs and Brain Age, just for a different audience. You could even count Harmo Knight and Pushmo as new IPs, they just aren't as well-known because they're digital-only. Would you buy Crashmo as a packaged Wii U game if it came with 600 puzzles?

I can give them Kid Icarus Uprising because it seems a sincere attempt to flesh out the Kid Icarus world and make it robust.

Harmo Knight could easily be expanded into a full-fledged console platformer, just with a wider variety of music and game mechanics.

And Pikmin 3 being so close reminds me of how carefully Nintendo crafts IP - ten+ years out and Pikmin is a fascinating world that begs exploration, with really appealing characters and scenario. Sometimes I wonder how many prototype IPs get tested inside Nintendo but are killed off - not because Nintendo never investigates them. But they want to try so hard to make sure they're not a waste.

But maybe that's why games like Harmo Knight, Crashmo, and Dillion are getting made for the eshop. Small scale, safe test bed, no money to lose on retail product.

RedSwirl

As far as online games, I'm convinced that Nintendo, like the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, doesn't give a fuck about online.

Just look at their focus with StreetPass and how incompatible it is with countries that don't have Japan's population density. The fighting game industry went through this same problem last gen -- focusing too much on Japanese arcades which diminished their relevance outside that environment. Outside of fighters and MMOs I don't think I've seen a single Japanese game with a really popular online mode. Demon's Souls managed to do something unique but that game and Dark Souls are still relatively niche.

Japanese developers pretty much just started putting online modes into their games out of necessity when putting them on PS3 and 360. Too many multiplayer-focused Japanese PSP games shipped without online. Monster Hunter still doesn't even have online on the 3DS.

Japan in general still prefers local multipalyer and hasn't realized that local multiplayer is no longer a viable option for most western gamers. I would argue that local, when possible, is still better than the way online console gaming is currently handled, but in that case it's up to developers to find a better way.

I can give them Kid Icarus Uprising because it seems a sincere attempt to flesh out the Kid Icarus world and make it robust.

Harmo Knight could easily be expanded into a full-fledged console platformer, just with a wider variety of music and game mechanics.

And Pikmin 3 being so close reminds me of how carefully Nintendo crafts IP - ten+ years out and Pikmin is a fascinating world that begs exploration, with really appealing characters and scenario. Sometimes I wonder how many prototype IPs get tested inside Nintendo but are killed off - not because Nintendo never investigates them. But they want to try so hard to make sure they're not a waste.

But maybe that's why games like Harmo Knight, Crashmo, and Dillion are getting made for the eshop. Small scale, safe test bed, no money to lose on retail product.

Well let's be real: they made another KI because fans bitched for it.

I really am tired of Nintendo continuing to try and make 3D Mario some billion selling franchise. How the hell are you not happy with making hundreds of millions per entry? Oh well Super Mario Galaxy only sold 10 million copies how abysmal....Get over it Nintendo, 3D Mario will never sell CoD numbers. I'm having strong fears that the entire game of 3D World will be as dumbed down as the first half of 3D Land. Nintendo obviously still has so much talent, probably the greatest collection of talent in one place in the industry, yet it feels as if they are circling the wagons at this point

The entirety of 3D World is going to be as easy as 3D Land's first half? I can't even

People really have gone off the deep end

As far as online games, I'm convinced that Nintendo, like the rest of the Japanese gaming industry, doesn't give a fuck about online.

To be quite honest, I'm okay with this. Too many games focus on online and have lackluster local multiplayer modes (if any - some games are removing it entirely). Nintendo is the best in the business at local multiplayer, so frankly they should keep doing what they're really, really good at

Don't go back to Galaxy :/ 64-2 plz

I like the mushroom kingdom motif so much more than space, as fun as those games were. We haven't had a 3D mushroom kingdom since 64.

Once again, splitscreen and co-op and all that eats into the GPU of that system. Fair do's on CPU getting working on prediction engine stuff on the CPU, but the GPU just needs to show one screen now instead of the splitscreen 2.

So in actuality, Miyamoto's comment on creating a "natural world" makes even less sense as an excuse for no online. The people working on tightening up level 2's graphics are not the people building your online engine. Seemingly Nintendo only has the Mario Kart team for online stuff, since Smash is outsourced through Namco now, and... well I *THINK* X will have online mutliplayer, doesn't it?

sure but is it not true that MP is notoriously CPU intensive while single player is GPU?

Not saying the 'excuse' is any less lame... I mean, why invest in such a shit CPU that is ALREADY limiting how far the game experience can reach?

The great thing about these Mario games is that they can be more accessible while still having more challenge than the 3D Mario games.

The star road levels in 2D Mario games like NSMB Wii U and New Super Luigi U, the golden temple levels in DKCR... all significantly more legitimately challenging and more rewarding than anything in the 3D Mario games.

(I use legitimately there to describe challenge that isn't related to camera bullshit that is frustrating and unfair.)

PatmanBegins

Neo Member
Haha! Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

As recent as that may have felt, it was a completely different age and the gaming landscape has changed tremendously.

I have both systems (and a Wii U and 3DS), but recognize that they're not viable in today's market.

Hell, even Wii sales fell off a cliff much earlier than anyone, including Nintendo, expected.

Mobile gaming and online, socially connected gaming are here to stay, and Nintendo is behind the curve in both areas.

To say otherwise is to be, in my opinion, as tone deaf to market trends as Nintendo is.

The 3DS has made a comeback, to be sure, but I would love to get a demographic breakdown of that userbase. I would bet a lot of money that it's not even close to as diverse as the original DS was. The core consumer market is not gaming on 3DS' on the go.

Wii U still has a chance in the market, but not with their current approach. A major pivot is needed.

spliced

Galaxy and 3D World are both so linear, if they are gonna do 2 3D Mario series I'd rather one of them be more like Mario 64 style.

Suairyu

Banned
Well, other than Mario 64's huge hubworld, the levels were just as linear as Galaxy's, no? At least, that's what I remember.
Some, but not most.

Nearly all stages had stars that could be done out of order, for example. They certainly felt more like open playgrounds than "levels"

I personally see the value of both approaches, but I think we are overdue for another 64/Sunshine entry now.

spliced

Well, other than Mario 64's huge hubworld, the levels were just as linear as Galaxy's, no? At least, that's what I remember.

There were parts like the Bowser stages, but Mario 64 was more about having wide open levels that let people figure out their own way of doing things without as much guidance.

JordanN

Banned
How can people continue to defend Nintendo when their laziness/cheapness is now bleeding into their gameplay?

CPU bounded Pikmin, wtf? Compromising on games when they could have been prevented is never a good idea.

MYE

I really am tired of Nintendo continuing to try and make 3D Mario some billion selling franchise. How the hell are you not happy with making hundreds of millions per entry? Oh well Super Mario Galaxy only sold 10 million copies how abysmal....Get over it Nintendo, 3D Mario will never sell CoD numbers. I'm having strong fears that the entire game of 3D World will be as dumbed down as the first half of 3D Land. Nintendo obviously still has so much talent, probably the greatest collection of talent in one place in the industry, yet it feels as if they are circling the wagons at this point

...what

JordanN

Banned
Pikmin as a concept was always CPU bound.
But now they didn't keep up with it for the new hardware where we could have gotten online instead.

It also makes me question if the missing animations also had to do with the CPU as someone pointed out before.

MYE

There were parts like the Bowser stages, but Mario 64 was more about having wide open levels that let people figure out their own way of doing things without as much guidance.

There wasnt all that much to "figure out" though. Certainly nothing complex enough to require "guidance".
And the playground aspect of M64 served its purpose as an introduction to running around in a 3D world, but we are beyond that.
Mario platformers should be platformers. Stuff like figuring out how to reach certain areas in an open world (also known as exploration), should never be the focus of a franchise that personifies top of the line 3D platforming. It can be there, and it always is to various degrees, but it should never the focus.

jwhit28

I still fail to see how taking a format you have tried once and was successful with on a handheld, fleshing out to a full 4 player console experience and putting that out is safer than going with the same format 3D Mario has been working with since Super Mario 64. Wouldn't creating another single player, collect 120 of something (maybe more with Luigi and challenges) game have been the safe, wagon circling route?

Ganondorfo

I hope that mario world game for the WII U will be good, but you feel like most fans arent anticipating this game like when the first trailer of Super mario galaxy 1 was announced. Nintendo should have listened to its fans and created a third Galaxy game.

MYE

I hope that mario world game for the WII U will be good, but you feel like most fans arent anticipating this game like when the first trailer of Super mario galaxy 1 was announced. Nintendo should have listened to its fans and created a third Galaxy game.

Galaxy was not the result of Nintendo listening to their fans. Let them do whatever they want to do I say

They did this exact same thing with New Super Mario Bros DS to Wii.

And it was fucking awesome. Seriously NSMBWii is a great game.
Much better than the DS NSMB

jaz013

Banned
But now they didn't keep up with it for the new hardware where we could have gotten online instead.

It also makes me question if the missing animations also had to do with the CPU as someone pointed out before.

Even with a processor 20 times faster, and 4 times the cores, I'm pretty sure they would prefer to use the full processor power to create a lively, believable world. You know, make the game worth playing.

MegalonJJ

Banned
And it was fucking awesome. Seriously NSMBWii is a great game.
Much better than the DS NSMB

It is indeed excellent (though I much prefer NSMBU). I'll certainly be giving 3D World a go (even though I dislike 3D Land's controls).

Dr.Hadji

They did this exact same thing with New Super Mario Bros DS to Wii.

And? We can go back and find similar evolutionary links between most any sequel ever.

*edit* Besides, if the developer is to be believed, 3d World is being made with multiplayer in mind while NSMBWii wasn't. Should prove to be a notable difference.

The multiplayer is local only. We wanted to make it online, but partly, one of the reasons we didn't is we really wanted to use the full CPU power to really create this natural world.
Does it run at 60fps?

MegalonJJ

Banned
And? We can go back and find similar evolutionary links between most any sequel ever.

Well, the point was that it was used to question the "safety" of the direction of this title. Just saying that they're following the exact same formula as NSMB DS to NSMB Wii. It'll be interesting to see how it works out in December.

Edit: My original post was not meant to question the quality of the title btw.

Even with a processor 20 times faster, and 4 times the cores, I'm pretty sure they would prefer to use the full processor power to create a lively, believable world. You know, make the game worth playing.

If it was a technical marvel that really showed what the Wii U hardware can do, I might see your point, but the unfortunate reality is that it isn't. It started life on the Wii, and it shows.

That's some premium grade Bullshit on wanting to use full CPU power for Pikmin thus no online multi. I mean WOW.

I read that and thought to myself "This is the most ridiculous answer I've ever read.". Usually they are just blunt and say "well we didn't want it online" but wow. That was pretty bad lol

Darryl

Banned
But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there's a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we're going to allow the widest audience to play.

coming from miyamoto who likes to speak in riddles and mysteries this pretty much confirms that they've got something else cookin'. super mario universe, luigi galaxy, etc. i'm glad he said something now so it's not a year of people arguing over whether or not 3d world is the legit console Mario game or not, it's obviously its own thing now.

daakusedo

coming from miyamoto who likes to speak in riddles and mysteries this pretty much confirms that they've got something else cookin'. super mario universe, luigi galaxy, etc. i'm glad he said something now so it's not a year of people arguing over whether or not 3d world is the legit console Mario game or not, it's obviously its own thing now.

If it's just galaxy it will be pretty redundant with 3d world though.

Megatron

Lol

the other thing that is important about the cooperative play in this game is that it's important for the players to really be able to communicate. So that's why local play is much better

Gee, if only there was a solution for that problem.

th

Also this interview really hurt my interest in Pikmin 3. It's waggle-intensive? So that means it won't support off-tv play? Meh.

That IP answer is sort of nonsense. Thinking of "new gameplay ideas" first is a good thing, but thinking "what character is suited to this gameplay" as in just going through the Nintendo rolodex and picking one of their old (usually overused) characters is not enough. He's discounting the role new characters, environments, and presentation adds to the experience. That answer reads more like Nintendo just not wanting to invest in new characters because it takes more work to create and market than falling back on established IPs

Darryl

Banned
If it's just galaxy it will be pretty redundant with 3d world though.

the way i see it is that they've got a big pool of concepts that work in 3d mario games. with the galaxy games on the Wii, they had to pick and choose the best concepts that worked together to please two different audiences - hardcore and casual. it was like a mix, a constant sacrifice to please two different audiences at the same time. on one hand the game was highly linear, although it'd mix that up with hard platforming elements. the game was a masterpiece because of this, but i think they realized this could be done even better so they've gone and split it up into two different series. with 3d world, they can take most of the casual elements and isolate them into their own experience. embrace the linear nature, add in new elements that are only possible without gameplay comprimise in a highly linear environment (multiplayer) and just create the ultimate mario game around these specific elements. now they can take the mario galaxy series, now less bound from the need to compromise, and take him off in an even crazier direction. you can already see this jump from galaxy 1 to galaxy 2, they could take that even further. so i don't think it'll be the same in the end.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Also this interview really hurt my interest in Pikmin 3. It's waggle-intensive? So that means it won't support off-tv play? Meh.

It supports every control scheme imaginable.

There is no "waggle". It supports IR mouse control ala the Wii revisions of Pikmin 1 and 2. It can also be played with the gamepad alone, or off-screen on the gamepad. It can also be played with the pro controller.

That IP answer is sort of nonsense. Thinking of "new gameplay ideas" first is a good thing, but thinking "what character is suited to this gameplay" as in just going through the Nintendo rolodex and picking one of their old (usually overused) characters is not enough. He's discounting the role new characters, environments, and presentation adds to the experience. That answer reads more like Nintendo just not wanting to invest in new characters because it takes more work to create and market than falling back on established IPs

I think it's bullshit for the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's games anyway. It's going to be hard to convince me that, say, Mario Kart 8 was conceived as a game concept and it was only part way through prototyping that someone suggested "hey, you know this kind of seems like a Mario Kart game here".

Darryl

Banned
I think it's bullshit for the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's games anyway. It's going to be hard to convince me that, say, Mario Kart 8 was conceived as a game concept and it was only part way through prototyping that someone suggested "hey, you know this kind of seems like a Mario Kart game here".

i think you're reading into it a bit far. they obviously make sequels and i don't think they pretend a whole lot that they don't make sequels for their games. this would be new game type experiments that he'd be talking about here, the spin-offs, whatever you call them. fortune street, wii sports, link's crossbow training, mario tennis, star fox adventures, smash brothers, etc etc

i think you're reading into it a bit far. they obviously make sequels and i don't think they pretend a whole lot that they don't make sequels for their games. this would be new game type experiments that he'd be talking about here, the spin-offs, whatever you call them. fortune street, wii sports, link's crossbow training, mario tennis, star fox adventures, smash brothers, etc etc

Yeah, there are some games that clearly had a Nintendo IP transplanted in them (Kirby: Canvas Curse and Kirby's Epic Yarn both spring to mind), but I think that even a lot of those games on your list, while perhaps started out that way, have gone on to become franchises in their own right. Smash Brothers especially sticks extremely closely to the template of the N64 original.

Crucially, we haven't had any of these 'new ideas, existing franchise' games announced for the Wii U yet. Well, we had Nintendo Land and Game and Wario, but those were just minigame collections, and while they provided tantalising glimpses into what full-fledged 'innovative' games on the Wii U might be like, they're very much the entree to a main course that seems so very far away.

Metroid doesn't get enough respect, its not a B-franchise Nintendo. >_> Makes me really annoyed.

The days of Prime wonderfulness and the yaaay Metroid GBA games seem so long ago now. :(

Hale-XF11

The multiplayer is local only. We wanted to make it online, but partly, one of the reasons we didn't is we really wanted to use the full CPU power to really create this natural world. But also, the other thing that is important about the cooperative play in this game is that it's important for the players to really be able to communicate. So that's why local play is much better, because of the speed and the patience in which you're communicating about going after the apple or the other different items, and trying to approach the level in that sense.

So, the Wii U isn't even powerful enough to handle this game and online communication at the same time? If that's true, then that's just sad. If not, then he's being incredibly disingenuous and that's disappointing at best. Then he implies that you can't communicate and cooperate online? What's wrong with this guy? Who does he think he's fooling anymore?

This shit is baffling. I just don't get Nintendo. :/

prag16

Banned
Good news/bad news on the Mario front then.

We may still get a "proper" 3D Mario game this gen. BUT Miyamoto characterizes it as part of the "Galaxy series". Unless he considers 64 and Sunshine part of the same.

Not that Galaxy is bad; just wanted something new that takes the best of All 3D Mario games to this point and adds more. We'll see.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't like the sound of "the galaxy series" at all. Please don't make another galaxy after 3d land, or I will facepalm through my head and die.

Top Bottom