• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 to be revealed around GDC in March

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If Sony are to launch first, wouldn't their chips have to be in production now?

No. Summer time, although I guess maybe earlier in the summer.

Doesn't the lack of leaks on their silicon production and developers not having final dev kits mean that there's no way they can reach market in Sept-Oct?

Not necessarily. Final kits on previous systems have arrived in some cases with just a couple of months to spare. I think final 360 kits cut it very close to launch (?)

Not that I'm also not skeptical. But these aren't dead giveaways.

DieH@rd

Banned
Kaz and Yoshida are driving hype train! Cant wait!

sonytraincopyhcoki.jpg

Globox_82

Banned
if they can have 400 usd / 400 euro price at launch, that would be something. I just wonder how much they are ready to lose on hardware?

monome

hopefully a march reveal means will be treated with some CG trailers for new games right after and the focus will be on in-game footage at E3.

Nibel

This will be very interesting to watch

Meltdown will be entertaining as fuck - won't probably top the Wii U reveal :lol

GlamFM

Banned
hopefully a march reveal means will be treated with some CG trailers for new games right after and the focus will be on in-game footage at E3.

Expect SONY to show roughly 10 full CG trailers of games that will never see the light of day.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think/hope Sony's reveal will be more like Vita's in terms of the relative absence of CG stuff and the spotlight on live stage demos and real game footage.

If PS4's launch was still 18 months out, then I'd expect a lot more CG etc ala the PS3 reveal (which was well ahead of release). But if they're really announcing so close to launch (within 9 months?) you should be seeing a lot of 'real' stuff. I'm sure there'll be some CG but the ratio should be way lower than PS3's reveal.

Suzzopher

I think/hope Sony's reveal will be more like Vita's in terms of the relative absence of CG stuff and the spotlight on live stage demos and real game footage.

If PS4's launch was still 18 months out, then I'd expect a lot more CG etc ala the PS3 reveal (which was well ahead of release). But if they're really announcing so close to launch (within 9 months?) you should be seeing a lot of 'real' stuff. I'm sure there'll be some CG but the ratio should be way lower than PS3's reveal.

I fully expect that they have teams on crunch right now for gameplay demos.

wow the hype is on. Quite a few threads on next-gen...

I thought gdc's a tad early. Maybe ms and sony are racing to see who will announce 1st. Or it would be an announcement of the announcement in e3. The ms teaser and comment from sony vp seem to suggest e3.

V_Ben

Banned

Teams have been working on PS4 stuff for long enough that there's no doubt there'll be live gameplay demos. I'm expecting Evolution + Guerilla to be there for sure. Naughty Dog reveal at E3, or VGAs if they really want to go nuts.

Edit: No idea when they're reveal RaD's new game, but E3 seems like a good place to debut your big new next gen IP.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This will be my first GDC so LETS GO!

PLAYSTATION RULEZ EKSBAWKS DROOLZ!

monome

I have very little faith I'll be treated to awesome next-gen gameplay footage before E3.

for the reveal there will tech demos and potentialities.

but as far as real games are concerned, I bet most publishers will wait for E3 to show actual next-gen footage.

So CG trailers are just to pass time.

I would definitely enjoy real footage but to those who think the next CoD, or AssCreed or Destiny will be shown in playable form before E3, then I just want you all to be right.

Some new IP snippets may happen as new IPs need as much exposure as possible.
But tried and true IPs will keep it close to their chests, they'll get a boost in marketing by plateform holders anyway, so it makes sense to tease until E3 rather than build demos/footage when their teams are probably very busy trying to get new engines working.

Does GDC have conferences for the console manufacturers ala E3?

If not, I'm trying to think of what kind of format MS and Sony can reveal them...

entremet

Does GDC have conferences for the console manufacturers ala E3?

If not, I'm trying to think of what kind of format MS and Sony can reveal them...

They don't. Only Keynotes. But this will not be part of GDC, just their own events during the show.

Persona86

Banned
YES. Spend GDC on the console, E3 on the games.

I assume gameplay is usually perfected close to release. So a CG trailer is a great quick way to get attention to your incomplete game, so people can have time to hype it up before release.

I agree with you CG trailers are annoying, but I'm sure they will not focus on CG trailers when revealing games for next gen, because the focus will be on showing next gen in game graphics.

GQman2121

Banned
All they have to do is confirm or even hint that TLG has made the move to PS4 and 90% of the people on this board will be satisfied.

THE:MILKMAN

Teams have been working on PS4 stuff for long enough that there's no doubt there'll be live gameplay demos. I'm expecting Evolution + Guerilla to be there for sure. Naughty Dog reveal at E3, or VGAs if they really want to go nuts.

Yep. There will likely be CG videos as gofreak said, but compared to the PS3 reveal where almost everything was CG..

Sony first party devs (ND, GG at least) had barely begun pre-production in May 2005.

Top Bottom