• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 to be revealed around GDC in March

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think/hope Sony's reveal will be more like Vita's in terms of the relative absence of CG stuff and the spotlight on live stage demos and real game footage.

If PS4's launch was still 18 months out, then I'd expect a lot more CG etc ala the PS3 reveal (which was well ahead of release). But if they're really announcing so close to launch (within 9 months?) you should be seeing a lot of 'real' stuff. I'm sure there'll be some CG but the ratio should be way lower than PS3's reveal.

Given that Western developers actually care about consoles, they should be able to pad out any early reveal with a fair amount of cross gen games that are targeted for Fall 2013/Spring 2014 as opposed to just next-gen only games, since those would very likely be ready for reveal by now.

monome

most games are very costly.

I don't expect most devs to botcher their games's reveals.

In-game footage will mostly be comprised of 1st party titles and maybe some new IPs.
MS and Sony need to show in game footage, of cours. But not much. There is the whole new system, new design, new possibilities to explore during a presentation.
If known IPs are used they will under the "possible next-gen intrepretation" moniker.

until E3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"The report appears to contradict alleged comments from Sony Home Entertainment VP Hiroshi Sakatomi during last week's CES."

It doesn't. It actually supports his statement that Sony might be doing an early reveal.

Here's what I want:

March - Console revealed at GDC. Console specs and trailer for few of the titles. Developers reveal a few games at PAX East. Some show "target gameplay" running in PC.
June - Games and services revealed at E3. Live demos and showcases. Some will be playable.
September - Playable demos at Eurogamer Expo. Price and other Japanese titles and services revealed at TGS.
November - Release.

DO IT!

DO IT!!

sounds good. Reveal the day before GDC, giving them time to use GDC to showcase internal engines and new cool things their new toy does.

Might be worth keeping an eye on the presentations planned for GDC, see if Sony and/or MS are blocking out chunks of time for discussions and presentations?

edit: looking at the current conference lineup, neither Sony or MS have any significant looking slots

there is this one about audio from SCEE http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/14215287

and thats about it.

Hmmmm.

Another 'PS4 might come out ahead of Durango' rumour (however shortly).

Still think that even if it was to happen, we'd be talking about a Japanese launch and not a NA one necessarily. I know there's plenty of protest that Sony should release in the US first, but it's hard for me to imagine them putting anywhere ahead of Japan.

Anyway, talk of March reveals is a more heartening than talk of May/E3 reveals.

The next Playstation is guaranteed to do better than the next Xbox in Japan. Sony should focus on taking back what they lost in NA rather than focus on a territory they're already going to do well in. A 1 month head start in North America would be huge for Sony.

What about the e3 countdown from Ms?

I'm sure MS's plans are fluid. They know that there's the potential that Sony comes out early with their news. And they know the longer they wait, the more likely news will leak and possibly even stuff like pictures of the final devkits will come out. I wouldn't be surprised to see an unveil anytime between March and June at this point of either console.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
ron-paul.gif

This needs to be the first post in the threads of the announcements of the new consoles.

Killzone 4 in-game trailer please so we can debate on CG Vs in-game again. Round 2 like.

Also for the inevitable amazing gifs thread :)

I think Sony would win this time, I mean they can't be that stupid to show something that can't be rendered... Again (even though KZ2 has some aspects better than that CG video).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
both releasing at the same time could be good news for both of them. Firstly the pent up demand from those of us that have been in since day one of this gen and want something new, but also from the potential media storm it could drum up

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the first 2 years will be a mess. I'll stick to PC until I see which console is better supported with exclusives I'm interested in.

BadWolf

How long has it been since Gran Turismo 5?

GT6 at launch or in the launch window would be pretty damn good for the system.

mocoworm

I have very little faith I'll be treated to awesome next-gen gameplay footage before E3.

... but as far as real games are concerned, I bet most publishers will wait for E3 to show actual next-gen footage.

I thought we had already seen some. Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313 etc.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Game Informer? hasn't this issue been out for some time now, and just now this report emerges? weird.
This, or can someone with the GI confirm this is true? if not i call bullshit on it.

also article is from N4G so...

mephixto

Banned
Nahhh... E3 is for hardware reveals, but for GDC I expect a shit tons of trailers and gamplay vids of next gen games. It's the perfect convention for Engines showcase.

This, or can someone with the GI confirm this is true? if not i call bullshit on it.

also article is from N4G so...

I have the Feb issue and it's in there.

And the article is from Videogamer. What's wrong with N4G anyway? It pretty much places articles from tons of different sites in one spot. Sites like Game Informer, Videogamer, VG247, VGleaks, Gamesindustry.biz, etc.

Huh? Article is from Videogamer.

What's wrong with N4G anyway? It pretty much places articles from tons of different sites in one spot. Sites like Game Informer, Videogamer, VG247, VGleaks, Gamesindustry.biz, etc.

Nothing wrong with it if you want the latest news, but they have a cesspool with fanboys. It's pathetic.

I have the Feb issue and it's in there.

And the article is from Videogamer. What's wrong with N4G anyway? It pretty much places articles from tons of different sites in one spot. Sites like Game Informer, Videogamer, VG247, VGleaks, Gamesindustry.biz, etc.

I thinks it's the user comments that really turn people off from N4G.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Huh? Article is from Videogamer.

What's wrong with N4G anyway? It pretty much places articles from tons of different sites in one spot. Sites like Game Informer, Videogamer, VG247, VGleaks, Gamesindustry.biz, etc.
On N4G you can find links to sites who flat out lie just to get more clicks, for example DSO gaming said the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser will have gameplay footage, yeah right.

Scrabble

This needs to be the first post in the threads of the announcements of the new consoles.

I think Sony would win this time, I mean they can't be that stupid to show something that can't be rendered... Again (even though KZ2 has some aspects better than that CG video).

such as?

I know N4G is pretty much a place of scum for fanboys, but I avoid the comments sections on articles (might as well call it N4PS3G really).

But yea, it's just really convenient since it places most of the top news from around the web in one spot anyway. You can sift through the bullshit.

Neiteio

They should reveal the consoles before E3, to get all the technical jargon out of the way. Sort of like what Nintendo did with the pre-E3 WiiU Nintendo Direct. That way, they can spend E3 on what's important: the games.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
guys this is game informer. they are spot on all the time because they release their info on their mags which could be old news by the time of release. they knew about this info just like how DF accidentally said they have concrete info in their last artile. we called it over the weekend that new nextgen news would be posted on monday and look what happened.

Sissel

guys this is game informer. they are spot on all the time because they release their info on their mags which could be old news by the time of release. they knew about this info just like how DF accidentally said they have concrete info in their last artile. we called it over the weekend that new nextgen news would be posted on monday and look what happened.
indeed. Plus why publish a rumour if you're not likely to be right.

Well, back when Game Informer still ran a rumor column, their track record was impeccable.

No clue if they still have the same sources since it's been about a year since then.

Just wanna quote this for truth. I read my old mags on the john sometimes and i am really impressed with the validity of there rumors.

Elios83

indeed. Plus why publish a rumour if you're not likely to be right.

To get people interested and sell the magazine? OMG :p
It will be a long wait in any case, especially if everyone start teasing things without actually disclosing anything concrete.

Btw the fact that they're gonna do specific conferences is no suprise to me, that's how you introduce big products. E3 is for games announcements.
Also it's obvious that Sony must be pretty focused on getting the product out this year especially in the US where they can't give ground and mindshare to MS.

TriGen

Game Informer does have a great record of actually reporting stuff. Usually they don't do any rumors because they're a mag and don't want to get hated, so the fact that they said this makes me feel more confident that at least one of the consoles will get a reveal around GDC. (Since It feels like I've been waiting forever for next-gen I'm taking a cautious approach myself, but it feels possible.)

monome

I thought we had already seen some. Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313 etc.

New IPs.

what I'm saying is I don't expect CoD or AssCreed or others to reveal their characters/locations/plots during a console reveal.

Most known franchises can be used to promote target renders. Which are not actual games being worked on. Yet most publishers won't want to "Killzone" their most respected franchises.

As for new IPs, most games rely heavily on story, so a quick and dirty gameplay reveal before they've had time to flesh out/tease the game's story rarely happens.

and most of the presentation should be about features. Graphics will be adressed for sure, but online, connectivity, apps and controllers will be highlighted.

Also I have no idea how devs will approach potential dual-gen releases.
I would think they'll just drop some nice AA solutions and better textures but I hardly see these games showcasing the future of gaming, especially if there is cross-online.

Top Bottom