• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 to be revealed around GDC in March

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While Microsoft E3 2005 conference was on May 16:

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1153/Microsofts-E3-2005-Press-Briefing/p1/

It was just a few days before as part of a broader marketing effort but the product was still announced around E3.
In another thread I linked this transcript of Microsoft's E3 2005 press conference: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/exec/rbach/05-16-05e3.aspx

Quite a nice read and as pointed out in that thread, Larry Hryb's "And it’s on…" comment for the countdown is a direct reference to that press conference.

Good news! I don't want to wait until midyear. A nice open-world Alan Wake 2 and GT 6 Prologue sound amazing.

Shouldn't Forza 5 be launching about the time the Durango launches?

Holy shit I'm hyped. Sucks it's mid January as there isn't much to do for the next few months except live off rumors.

Cramoss

Exciting year!

E7ecc.gif

Good news! I don't want to wait until midyear. A nice open-world Alan Wake 2 and GT 6 Prologue sound amazing.

Shouldn't Forza 5 be launching about the time the Durango launches?

Holy shit I'm hyped. Sucks it's mid January as there isn't much to do for the next few months except live off rumors.

Play games? I'm sure you have a backlog ,

Play games? I'm sure you have a backlog ,

This, while I am looking forward to next gen consoles, there are so many games I want to play before then. Witcher 2, GTA 5, Halo 4 and XCOM all to be played before next gen.

I am sure the games I listed will be better experiences than 90% of next gen launch titles.

No, they talked about the XNA software platform for next gen development in very vague terms, but there was no specific mention of the next console.

Really?

SAN FRANCISCO — March 9, 2005 — Today at the annual Game Developers Conference (GDC), Microsoft Corp. announced the first details of its next-generation Xbox video game system platform, highlighting how hardware, software and services are being fused to power enhanced game and entertainment experiences.

Microsoft Corporate Vice President and Chief XNA Architect J Allard further outlined the company’s vision for the future of entertainment, citing the emergence of an “HD Era” in video games that is fueled by consumer demand for experiences that are always connected, always personalized and always in high-definition.

“In the HD Era the platform is bigger than the processor,” Allard said. “New technology and emerging consumer forces will come together to enable the rock stars of game development to shake up the old establishment and redefine entertainment as we know it.”

To support consumer demands for the HD Era, the next-generation Xbox is designed around key principles that let developers maximize real performance, using concepts they are already familiar with.

The next-generation Xbox hardware design principles include the following:

A well-balanced system that will deliver more than a teraflop of targeted computing performance
A multicore processor architecture co-developed with IBM Corp. that provides developer “headroom” and flexibility for the HD Era
A custom-designed graphics processor co-developed with ATI Technologies Inc. designed for HD Era games and entertainment applications

In addition, familiar software technologies such as DirectX, PIX, XACT and the recently announced XNA Studio — an integrated team-based development environment tailored for game production — complement the new hardware to help game developers unlock increasingly powerful and complex silicon.

The HD Era gaming platform will strike an elegant balance of hardware, software and services to power the new experiences consumers demand. Games and entertainment features such as the next-generation Xbox guide represent a shift toward more immersive and integrated consumer experiences.
This shift will be further illustrated by a significant leap to high-definition graphics, where character movements and expressions are intensely vibrant and nearly indiscernible from real life; by multichannel, positional audio fidelity so clear and precise that players will be able to hear the faintest enemy footsteps sneaking up behind them; by richer online communications; and by an abundance of on-demand content for game consoles.

Hindle

Banned
Very likey this will happen.

Mini reveal at GDC or sooner.

Pre E3 conference for Spike

Main E3 conference.

That's how it will go for one of the two.

AW 2 is the main game MS show off as well.

I can see Microsoft doing this; however, if the PS4 is still far out (next year), then I don't see it being announced before E3. Although, Sony did show off the Vita before it even had a name.

Binabik15

Sony, my birthday is in October. Do eeeeeet.

But I still think an announcement after TLOU launches would be better, unless MS forces their hand.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is awesome news, though doesn't the PS4 coming first go against most of stuff we have heard?

I watched the whole keynote several months ago (it's somewhere on GameSpot) and I don't remember there being any mention of the 360 hardware. They did talk about the new user interface, and they showed off some XNA tech demos, but I think that was it. Hardware details from that article were known months in advance.

So I guess they still mentioned the console, it's just that they didn't really provide many new details about it.

This is awesome news, though doesn't the PS4 coming first go against most of stuff we have heard?

Not really. Sony announced the NGP/Vita a year+ before it came out worldwide, though it did hit Japan in the same calendar year at least (11 months later).

Current rumors peg the PS4 launch in Q1 2014, so an announcement in March 2013 makes sense.

Not really. Sony announced the NGP/Vita a year+ before it came out worldwide, though it did hit Japan in the same calendar year at least (11 months later).

Current rumors peg the PS4 launch in Q1 2014, so an announcement in March 2013 makes sense.

Most rumors suggested Durango Q4/2013 and Orbis Q1/2014. If Orbis turns out to be launching first, then it's either 2013 for both or Durango is getting delayed.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

That's what I mean though. If the 720 is set to launch this fall and everything we have seen points to a 2014 release, then....?

Proxy

Most rumors suggested Durango Q4/2013 and Orbis Q1/2014. If Orbis turns out to be launching first, then it's either 2013 for both or Durango is getting delayed.

Most rumors say they're both launching in 2013.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I felt Kotaku was pretty clear on this front.

Sony said they were targeting Fall 2013, but for some reason devs weren't entirely sure they would make it.

Elios83

Most rumors are saying PS4 launch in 2013. Not 2014.

Indeed and at this point there are even rumors by different analysts claiming that Sony wants to launch not only this year but before Microsoft.
Seems pretty obivous that Sony wants to launch this year. Then of course they have to deliver on that, but the same applies to Microsoft.

THE:MILKMAN

I think that is down to the fact almost all insider/journalist talk has been for Durango.

On another subject.. have just been looking at some older GAF threads to see if anything interesting was posted.

I found this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423724&page=5 BboyDubC's posts are interesting for the timeline and that Sony or MS were maybe targeting Fall 2012 for launch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh shit. I'm on the hype train.
Aegies was mentioning February-March before.

Perhaps they decided on February. Both The Witcher 3 and Unreal Engine 4 are showing back up next month, and EA was recording a bunch of Dragon Age 3 footage and internally produced interviews, which usually have a few week lead time.

Also, the Vita PlayStation meeting was announced less than seven days before it happened.

Feb. Sony's Destination event.

I'll say it's not this, but probably before it so they can show the system to retailers right away.

I felt Kotaku was pretty clear on this front.

Sony said they were targeting Fall 2013, but for some reason devs weren't entirely sure they would make it.
I think that speaks on what arthur (of the gies variety) was saying in the ps4 speculation thread, that developers pretty much haven't been hearing as much as they've been hearing from MS during the whole process. So they don't know shit.

Which I still think is because Sony is either A) trying to contain leaks and/or B)operating in their japanese bubble, which is known to happen.

Feb. Sony's Destination event.
ah yeah I forgot that existed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Aegies was mentioning February-March before.

Perhaps they decided on February. Both The Witcher 3 and Unreal Engine 4 are showing back up next month, and EA was recording a bunch of Dragon Age 3 footage and internally produced interviews, which usually have a few week lead time.

Also, the Vita PlayStation meeting was announced less than seven days before it happened.

I'll say it's not this, but probably before it so they can show the system to retailers right away.

I don't think it'll be at the DPS event either. That one is a retail specific event meant to showcase new titles, bundles and price cuts.

Top Bottom