• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Guessable Cover: Elders Scrolls Online [Move to details thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

In before it's another World of Warcraft clone like TOR and bears no resemblance to the Elder Scrolls in terms of gameplay or mechanics.

Kusagari

This is guaranteed to be the buggiest game ever made.

I cannot even imagine how bad it will be the first couple weeks.

The idea of an MMO if it were like Skyrim but with other players is awesome. (eg, decent quests, great visuals, no monthly fee)

The idea of an Elder Scrolls game IP being added to a traditional MMO is terrible.

Ledsen

We've basically known this for years, don't know how anyone can be surprised. but cool to get official confirmation.

M3d10n

Been so long since I last heard of it I almost forgot about it. I imagine they might be pretty far along with it, since it's been in development for two years or so, from way before Skyrim was even announced.

TheExodu5

Banned
Where is all this information coming from? Who said no console version? Why is it automatically an MMO? I know Beth has garnered some bad blood with the PS3 tech issues, but they've generally done an amazing job with the ES series... if there's actually more information out there then please share the source.

They're expecting to hire hundreds of support reps...this is most likely an MMO.

This isn't really a surprise since it had been rumored for ages, but I wasn't expecting it to be the GI cover.
Not really sure how I feel about an Elder Scrolls MMO, on one hand I love the elder scrolls series but on the other hand I've never played an MMO I've actually enjoyed.

ReaperXL7

Honestly although I would think it's likely considering how few MMO's we have gotten on consoles, I would think that this getting a GI cover probably mean there might be a good chance of it being on them. I really don't remember the last PC exclusive game that was on their cover, and I suspect that a large portion of GI's readership are console gamers, though i'm sure there are alot of PC gamers that read it aswell.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this, I think if it's going to consoles though, and coming in 2013, if it does come to consoles it will be on the next generation of systems. Pretty much like Oblivion, looking forward to more information.

PC/Mac only !? Faints

I havent played an mmo since everquest if you dont count GW.

Going on dragon runs with a team of people would be fucktastic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"No one will guess."

Except, you know, I listed it in the OP you were linked to and clearly didn't read McNamara. :p

Hmm.. sounds interesting. I'll need to have more info before I'm like "OMG!" or anything. If they can get this on 360, then I might bite.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
color me NOT shocked and there goes a good franchise, ruined

I know it's not logical, but I feel the same way. I'm a little mad that this is even a thing. Best we can hope for is that it's not shit and that it doesn't kill off the traditional Elder Scrolls.

Bah. Back to yelling at clouds.

Sothpaw

Even the worst elder scrolls combat is still above the best MMO combat.

Couldn't disagree more with this. Elder Scrolls has the worst combat in any RPG I have ever played (been playing RPG's since the late 80's). WOW combat easily outclasses ES as far as I'm concerned.

I am glad this game is PC/Mac exclusive so it isn't...limited shall we say...by console constraints. That said, I am really tired of WOW formula MMOs. TOR did nothing for me and I quit after a few weeks. I hope this game takes a different approach. Maybe we can get away from the raid and zerg pvp focused end game?

Khezu

Please Please Please Please Include Gamepad Support.

Make this a comfy couch MMO and I'll hand over many thousands of green people from history times!

I doubt they would do that, a gamepad for an MMO is extremely limiting, unless they make the game super simple and casual.... like the elder scrolls. Hmm.

Ordinator

OH. MY. GOD. I can't even express how excited I am.

This is probably the only MMO that could realistically make me cancel my WoW account. Seems like a happy medium for all the people that wanted multiplayer (myself included) and the single player purists.

Man, this game is going to control my life. I'm in big trouble.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
im so exciteddd annd i just cant HIIIDE IIT

DUANE.gif

Enco

As long as it doesn't have a stupid monthly cost and fetch quests are kept absolutely minimal I might give it a shot.

If either of those things aren't met, I'll wait till the next real TES.

Skyrim was a single player mmo, this should cater to a lot of people. The challenge though for Bethesda is balance, especially pvp and endgame, which has been a downfall for many would be's.

Anteater

color me NOT shocked and there goes a good franchise, ruined

Isn't this is by another team separate from the ones behind the main elderscrolls games? Since they said it's been in development the last few years, I would assume it has nothing to do with the main ES games

Munin

I am fairly sure this announcement means no single player Elder Scrolls for a long, long time - they wouldn't want it to be stealing any thunder when the MMO gets released, and possibly for quite a while beyond.

In fact, depending on its success, we may not see another ever.

jet1911

Where is all this information coming from? Who said no console version? Why is it automatically an MMO? I know Beth has garnered some bad blood with the PS3 tech issues, but they've generally done an amazing job with the ES series... if there's actually more information out there then please share the source.

My prediction:
What if it's just ES with Co-op and competitive modes? 3 player co-op (saying 3 because Strength, Willpower, Endurance), meet up in town, accept co-op dungeon crawling quest.. epic battles, sharing loot, coop dialog trees. OR meet up in town, sign up for coliseum, wager gold, fight other player characters!

I suggest you to click on the link in the OP.

Helmholtz

Meh. Would have much preferred just online co-op in a traditional elder scrolls game. They'll have to nerf things so much in order to create an mmo, it probably won't even be recognizable as an elder scrolls game aside from lore and setting.

Day 1095!

If they can't even get their single player games to work right, just imagine how their MMO will turn out.

I wish them luck though. Elder Scrolls always felt like a world that would be perfect for an MMO so I'm eager to see what they do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom