• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitelines

Neo Member
That marriage has to be a planned move,

Hmm how should i get support of the population. Bring back a slave sport and marry a slaver family heir.

I can already picture the crowd hissing her again, and she releasing the dragons on this goddamn city and going to westeros at last

Vashetti

Banned
That marriage has to be a planned move,

Hmm how should i get support of the population. Bring back a slave sport and marry a slaver family heir.

I can already picture the crowd hissing her again, and she releasing the dragons on this goddamn city and going to westeros at last

Duh. There's no love lost between Dany and Hizdahr.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
even the dragons aren't doing shit

not that I expect a lot but hey, let's just go back a couple episodes where Dany was afraid of the dragons - then drag these fuckers into the tomb and sit there without shitting our pants and let the dragons eat one of them. Because you were scared of them last time. Those two shoulda eaten the whole party, feasted like kings.

not that I expect a lot but hey, let's just go back a couple episodes where Dany was afraid of the dragons - then drag these fuckers into the tomb and sit there without shitting our pants and let the dragons eat one of them. Because you were scared of them last time. Those two shoulda eaten the whole party, feasted like kings.

speaking of, did she single that one dude out for a reason?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dany sucks at ruling. That's a good explanation for uh, pretty much everything she's been doing the past season or two.

It just sucks how quickly the Dothraki were discarded. They were a pretty big goddamn deal to the other kingdoms, struck terror in their hearts, and they just petered out and fucked off. Sucks. They were quite the threat.

Vashetti

Banned
seems to go against her "do-gooder" character. one random guy is executed and another random guy gets to marry the hottest girl in Essos?

come on D&D, that is dumb.

It's purposeful, they're writing Dany as not knowing what she's doing. She literally knows nothing. Viserys taught her nothing, she's had no education.

Her "cut the head off the snake" comment in the first ep this season is her pretending to sound powerful, but she has no experience at anything.

Dany sucks at ruling. That's a good explanation for uh, pretty much everything she's been doing the past season or two.

It just sucks how quickly the Dothraki were discarded. They were a pretty big goddamn deal to the other kingdoms, struck terror in their hearts, and they just petered out and fucked off. Sucks. They were quite the threat.

I miss Kovarro, the loyal Dothraki guy who helped her and Jorah in S2 when they had to go to the Houses of the Undying. I thought he would become her main Dothraki general but he literally disappears after the S2 finale :(

GOT-game-of-thrones-31310321-833-555.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
Just got caught up last night. Great season so far. Little action but it's obvious they are setting up for something big.

I haven't read the books but it seems Jon Snow is being set up as the likable hero. So that means he's going to die soon.

So from Sansa's perspective, a shady woman tells her to go alone into a dark corridor/kennel, with dangerous dogs barking everywhere. She's shaking, clearly scared, and yet she still does it.

Sansa deserves to die, lol.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

The internet has seemed to land on "she sucks at ruling" and I find it pretty curious.
It's not like we've ever seen a competent ruler on this show, and the premise of her storyline is that she's trying to be different kind of ruler than something the world has seen.

I'm willing to see where it goes and I'm interested in watching her fail and learn. I don't know why it's such a big failing in people's eyes. She was WAY less interesting when it was all going her way.

Personally, I'd still say she was better than what we've seen of Robert, Joffery, Rob or Tommen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The internet has seemed to land on "she sucks at ruling" and I find it pretty curious.
It's not like we've ever seen a competent ruler on this show, and the premise of her storyline is that she's trying to be different kind of ruler than something the world has seen.

I'm willing to see where it goes and I'm interested in watching her fail and learn. I don't know why it's such a big failing in people's eyes. She was WAY less interesting when it was all going her way.

Personally, I'd still say she was better than what we've seen of Robert, Joffery, Rob or Tommen.

Robert was good!

yet nowhere near as good as Stannis.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I miss Kovarro, the loyal Dothraki guy who helped her and Jorah in S2 when they had to go to the Houses of the Undying. I thought he would become her main Dothraki general but he literally disappears after the S2 finale :(

Dothrakis are pretty much a nonfactor now. I can't remember the last time we saw any of them.

Vashetti

Banned
Dothrakis are pretty much a nonfactor now. I can't remember the last time we saw any of them.

Two nameless Dothraki dragged Mossador out to get beheaded, and two more dragged Hizdahr away in this episode.

Also, ratings are out, lowest of the season. I thought they'd be up because this was the first episode to not get leaked.

Are we seeing a trend of people switching off?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Two nameless Dothraki dragged Mossador out to get beheaded, and two more dragged Hizdahr away in this episode.

Also, ratings are out, lowest of the season. I thought they'd be up because this was the first episode to not get leaked.

Are we seeing a trend of people switching off?

HBO Now helps. I think ratings aren't a good gauge of interest or popularity. However its social footprint HAS diminished, mainly because there's not much for casual watchers to talk about.

Just got caught up last night. Great season so far. Little action but it's obvious they are setting up for something big.

I haven't read the books but it seems Jon Snow is being set up as the likable hero. So that means he's going to die soon.

I don't think he will unless they plan on removing The Wall from the story line.

Who's there to carry the story in that part of the world? Sam, Alliser, Gilly, Maester Aemon who is probably going to die soon. There just isn't anything of great enough interest there without Jon and I think the wall is extremely important to the overall story arc so I don't see them leaving it out until the end when the white walkers inevitably come.

But I could be wrong, I hope not though.

Curufinwe

The vast majority of them discarded her when Drogo died.

Nah brehh, end of the season. Then it's deal. You swear on it to the old Gods and the new. And to the the one that allows smoke coming out of vagines and the one whose name is death.

Then we're down.
Nah, my original comment was that she was too dumb to do something about the Boltons. If they've been keeping her all this time sooner or later they'll force the character to do something.

Was Drogon flying west, toward Westeros? I guess it would make sense, considering Bran's vision of a dragon flying above King's Landing. Maybe he's actually going to Bran. :p
Totally. Remember the old guy at the tree told Bran he would never be able to walk again but he would fly.

Anyway, some thoughts:
-Dany's story arc hasn't compketely sucked imo. I think it started going downhill ever since she left Astapor(?). Yunkai was an afterthought and Meereen has been boring as hell. It's obvious she has no clue. I think they killed Khal Drogo too soon; he could have taught her a lot of things. However, like someone said, it would be worse if she got to Westeros by season 2 or 3 and did nothing afterwards.

-If Stannis dies, who's left to do something at Westeros? Dany is stuck at Meereen, Tyrion and Varys are gone, Sansa is dumb, Arya is training, Bran is a no show this season...
The only one left is Jon Snow; maybe Littlefinger as well depending on his plans. The point is that they're running out of "good guys".

-Bran will totally ride Drogon or one of the other two dragons.

-When will the White Walkers start being a threat? They were the first thing to be talked about back in S1 and we still have seen virtually nothing aobut them.

-Even though they're running out of characters they'll still kill someone for shock value. It'll be either Stannis or Jon Snow.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
White walkers are weird. I mean, they've been seen marching with their army of the dead toward the Wall at the end of S2, yet, here we are in the middle of S5 still waiting for them.

Are they just unable to "live" outside of winter-like weather and are waiting for winter to reach south of the Wall to invade? Because that's the only logical reason I can think of.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Robert was a terrible king! He didn't give a shit about anything and basically road out war good will.

I don't see a problem! That's what kings do! At least he wasn't overly sadistic, if you don't mind a little child-killing. I mean Tywin sure was worse about that...and wasn't a king, so my argument is shit, but whatever. WHATEVER.

Robert was dope.

Nah, my original comment was that she was too dumb to do something about the Boltons. If they've been keeping her all this time sooner or later they'll force the character to do something.

Totally. Remember the old guy at the tree told Bran he would never be able to walk again but he would fly.

Anyway, some thoughts:
-Dany's story arc hasn't compketely sucked imo. I think it started going downhill ever since she left Astapor(?). Yunkai was an afterthought and Meereen has been boring as hell. It's obvious she has no clue. I think they killed Khal Drogo too soon; he could have taught her a lot of things. However, like someone said, it would be worse if she got to Westeros by season 2 or 3 and did nothing afterwards.

-If Stannis dies, who's left to do something at Westeros? Dany is stuck at Meereen, Tyrion and Varys are gone, Sansa is dumb, Arya is training, Bran is a no show this season...
The only one left is Jon Snow; maybe Littlefinger as well depending on his plans. The point is that they're running out of "good guys".

-Bran will totally ride Drogon or one of the other two dragons.

-When will the White Walkers start being a threat? They were the first thing to be talked about back in S1 and we still have seen virtually nothing aobut them.

-Even though they're running out of characters they'll still kill someone for shock value. It'll be either Stannis or Jon Snow.
By the end of the Bolton/Stannis resolution then. Done deal. 3 month avatar wager.

Arcayne

Bummed out that Bran doesn't have a storyline this season. I really enjoyed his story arc and wanted to see him "fly". Stannis is becoming likeable (although I think it is because theres no one left to root for) and is probably going to die in some redemption type of way. I can't see anything else happening besides the battle for winterfell or white walkers finally coming by the seasons finale. Urgh, I'm not sure, this season is setting up for alot of big things.

Bummed out that Bran doesn't have a storyline this season. I really enjoyed his story arc and wanted to see him "fly". Stannis is becoming likeable (although I think it is because theres no one left to root for) and is probably going to die in some redemption type of way. I can't see anything else happening besides the battle for winterfell or white walkers finally coming by the seasons finale. Urgh, I'm not sure, this season is setting up for alot of big things.

One reason I'm thinking most everyone are safe at this point is because I mean you can't kill off everyone. Enough leads and popular subs have died at this point and the overall show has suffered for it in my opinion.

So when it comes to the current main lead roles I'm just thinking how long can they keep killing off everyone? So hopefully they are done with that and will just let the main overall story set itself up and push forward

My 2 favourite characters at this point are Bronn and Stannis, and it's looking likely they'll both die this season D:

I think Bronn will probably die in a fight with the Dornish, but Jaime will live somehow. I really hope I'm wrong.

Jorah is doomed. I don't see him getting the help of Stannis' maester. He'll probably die saving Dany somehow if he makes it to her side again, knowing that the greyscale will consume him eventually if he doesn't die soon.

I wasn't really that hyped about this season beforehand but it's been really good. Episode 4 was probably the weakest of the season but it picked up again now. There's even a hint of something interesting happening in the danerys storyline.

The whole set up around winterfell is so loaded with intrigue, it's probably my favourite storyline across all five seasons. Such a variety of characters all with their intersecting motivations, and they added another level to it with the tension between Roose and Ramsay, and Ramsay, Miranda and Sansa. Its almost hard to see how theyre going to do the set-up justice.

Then the boat trip through Valyria took a good episode and made it great.

My 2 favourite characters at this point are Bronn and Stannis, and it's looking likely they'll both die this season D:

I think Bronn will probably die in a fight with the Dornish, but Jaime will live somehow. I really hope I'm wrong.

Jorah is doomed. I don't see him getting the help of Stannis' maester. He'll probably die saving Dany somehow if he makes it to her side again, knowing that the greyscale will consume him eventually if he doesn't die soon.

I keep thinking the opposite, Jaime isn't going to make it and it'll leave Bronn with the task of having to care enough to save this girl and bring her back

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks there's no Branlet, because that means they don't have to tell any stories with him for a while and don't have to explain a lot of shit. So he can show up by surprise. Feels so contrived! Argh! Skeletons shoulda murdered his ass.

Ferrio

Banned
Sucks there's no Branlet, because that means they don't have to tell any stories with him for a while and don't have to explain a lot of shit. So he can show up by surprise. Feels so contrived! Argh! Skeletons shoulda murdered his ass.

The actors growing up between seasons wasn't jarring enough, we get to go 2 years on Bran.

I just want Tyrion and Varys to interact with Daenerys already!

This needs to happen because I can't even root for her anymore. She seems like a terrible leader and and her persona is just flat out annoying. She tries to act like some bad ass which was cool at first but much less cool now when we know how clueless she is. It's honestly bad decision after bad decision.

This needs to happen because I can't even root for her anymore. She seems like a terrible leader and and her persona is just flat out annoying. She tries to act like some bad ass which was cool at first but much less cool now when we know how clueless she is. It's honestly bad decision after bad decision.

I don't know who would be able to help Dany more, Tyrion or Varys?
They're both brilliant. I just hope she actually listens to them.

Venture

I'll never understand the Daenerys hate. For an eighteen(?) year old with very little real life experience she's doing fine. She got an army, conquered three powerful cities and freed millions of slaves. She deserves a lot of credit just for staying in Essos to keep them safe and free. It would be very easy to rush off to Westeros and let Slaver's Bay turn back into it's namesake.

I don't think she even cares much about the Iron Throne anymore. That was her brother's obsession and she barely remembers Westeros, if at all. It's obvious that ending slavery is most important to her right now. I imagine the main reason for getting Varys and Tyrion over there is to rekindle her interest in taking the Iron Throne.

This bugged me as well. I hope she didn't kill someone innocent.
They are all former slave masters so I'm sure she has little love for them. I loved seeing her Targaryen temperament flare up in that scene. She was obvious very pissed about the death of Barristan.

Skii

Just watched it. Great episode. Stuff seems to be finally progressing. It has been going a bit slow this season. It's taken 5 episodes for Stannis to finally decide to march on the North.

Thoughts:
- Danny is becoming more and more unlikable. She talks about the slavers and slaves living together and for their society to be just and right but then goes and feeds a potentially innocent man to her dragons lol. She surely can't end up sitting on the throne if she's that stupid? Reminds me of Cersei.

- Stannis is so cool. But I also can't see him ultimately succeeding. It's clear Melisandre is playing him. It will get to the point where he must be sacrificed for her own motivations.

- I'm pretty sure Jon is going to be betrayed by the Wildlings when he gets there. He was an accessory in the murder of their leader for crying out loud.

- I love how the show constantly makes minor characters more and more relevant when required. The Boltons have almost become part of the main cast now which shows how strong the writing and transitioning is in GOT. I do expect them to lose to Stannis though. Maybe Jon will convince the Wildings to join forces with Stannis.

- I feel like everything has gone badly for Danny ever since she got rid of Jorah. He was the true brains of the operation and always made the correct decisions for her.

Ser Jorah Morment is the true Khaleesi.

Shame he's going to die though :(

MikeyB

This is the most unbelievable thing about the narrative so far. Winter has been coming for years. Summer ended several seasons ago. The army of the dead was within marching distance of the wall (wherever Sam was) and is still unseen.

Whenever I hear Winter is coming, I groan. They could at least be gathering at the Wall. It could be snowing in King's Landing.

Venture

- I'm pretty sure Jon is going to be betrayed by the Wildlings when he gets there. He was an accessory in the murder of their leader for crying out loud.
I don't think they'll see it that way. He ended Mance's suffering and preserved his dignity. Tormund can vouch for him.

I'd be more worried about what state the Night's Watch will be in when he returns. I guess Alliser Thorne will be in charge while he's gone.

Nilaul

Well it seems like nothing is really happening. Really slow paced but still interesting (but I doubt I would go for a rewatch).

Valus

I don't think they'll see it that way. He ended Mance's suffering and preserved his dignity. Tormund can vouch for him.

I'd be more worried about what state the Night's Watch will be in when he returns. I guess Alliser Thorne will be in charge while he's gone.

I'm curious what he's going to do with wildlings like the cannibals. My guess is that some will agree with Tormund's idea and others will not, and cause a civil war of sorts that Jon will be in the middle of. So he'll come back with only half of them and find out the Night's Watch decided to go for a mutiny, and ultimately get wrecked by Jon's new forces. The Night's Watch will be no more, and Jon will somehow convince his army to help Stannis conquer Winterfell, but unfortunately Stannis dies (probably having to do with protecting his daughter) but not before he makes Jon a Stark and commands his army to follow him. And thus Jon will take over his army too, and become the new king of the north, warden of winterfell, and true protector of the realm.

And then he will get his throat slit out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom