• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yup, his voice is majestic.

This was a very good episode.While previous episodes have definitely had some good moments, I feel that this was the first of the season that hasn't feel like an up and down slog, which is kinda disappointing, but hopefully it keeps picking up.

Highlight that come to mind immediately.

game-of-thrones-stannis.gif
I don't know why, but until now I had a "feeling" that the actor they casted as Stannis sucked.

This scene opened my eyes somehow, he's great.

hmm, well I can see that happening actually, given the amount of attention that little girl has been getting the last couple of episodes.

One thing that I don't get though, if he is the true king and the Lord of Light is real, then why does he/she need to sacrifice anything. The Lord of Light should be looking out for him and any potential heirs i.e. blood relations. Not wanting a sacrifice of that blood.

Yeah I'm not sure how they work but she loves her sacrifices.

Monocle

Yup, his voice is majestic.

This was a very good episode.While previous episodes have definitely had some good moments, I feel that this was the first of the season that hasn't feel like an up and down slog, which is kinda disappointing, but hopefully it keeps picking up.

Highlight that come to mind immediately.

game-of-thrones-stannis.gif
The highlight of the episode, without question.

Simplet

Its the most unsatisfying, boring arc in the entire series by far. The best qualities are everything but her. And her character is unbearably stupid.

Her character is ok but everyone around her is completely devoid of charisma,
grey worm and the interpreter girl being the worst by far, I just tune out as soon as they enter the frame.

The problem is that as soon as they leave their "Europe in the middle ages" setting they don't have a clue. Same with Dorne, everyone looks like a clown.

In other news, Dany's storyline has been so disappointing.

Back in season 3 or whatever I thought she was gonna get the Unsullied, conquer some cities, then keep heading on over to Westeros and go for that iron throne.

Same thing with White Walker storyline. Why do I feel like both Dany and White Walkers are going to show up in the final episodes of the final season as the grand finale?

The white walker storyline will probably be the most disappointing part of the whole series.. over the last few years only 30+ minutes are spent on them. It's probably going to be a one episode wrap up.
Also add Benjen on the list of being thrown in the last season.

Blue Lou

What have Sky done to Thronecast? It's pretty bad now.

It used to be Geoff Lloyd presenting and an interview with a cast member plus additional information from the authors of The World of Ice & Fire. Now its hosted by Sue Perkins, with a cast member and celebrity guest and they regularly include spoilers. I saw last season they ruined the surprise of Tywin's death, last week they confirmed Barristan's death before the show did. The show's simply not as good as it once was.

What's the American equivalent to this "Talking Thrones"-type show?

aku:jiki

I was writing something for work earlier and I didn't even notice how I wrote "less" in the wrong context and then my mental Stannis showed up and said "fewer!" and I chuckled to myself. I probably need to get out more.

Cause GRRM is a known hackfraud.
GRRM is such a cozy grandpa. You just want to go to his house and feel grandpa smell, be treated to a quarter and some grandpa candies.

Then he murders all your favorite characters and laughs.

why do people think that the Red woman will harm Stannis' daughter?

If she was going to, she already had plenty of chances in the past.
I got it from the conversation between her and the Mother. The Mother knowing it needs to be done. Wanting to bring her.

I also felt like Stannis knew when he hugged her, but maybe he was just awkward like others said.

I got it from the conversation between her and the Mother. The Mother knowing it needs to be done. Wanting to bring her.

I also felt like Stannis knew when he hugged her, but maybe he was just awkward like others said.

I thought the mother was against taking her and Stannis and Mel wanted to take her. cant remember the details now though...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Her character is ok but everyone around her is completely devoid of charisma,
grey worm and the interpreter girl being the worst by far, I just tune out as soon as they enter the frame.

The problem is that as soon as they leave their "Europe in the middle ages" setting they don't have a clue. Same with Dorne, everyone looks like a clown.

Pretty much. The lack of a charisma is a huge problem, but I also think (and I've said this before) the ongoing detachment from Westeros makes it all the more boring.

Season 1 baited with the whole "remember the old ruling family who totally got fucked but man if they had dragons they'd be back!!!" thing, laying out the return of both of those. But everything since...good grief. We're five seasons in and the reality is Dany doesn't seem any closer to Westeros. Her dragons are untamed and chained/fucked off. Her only good advisor and most interesting character is dead. She continues to make baffling decisions that undermine any interest one might have in her character. And seeds of interest, like Tyrion meeting her, are slow at evolving and come at the cost of them being in more interesting places.

Everything in Westeros is interesting. Everything with Dany has been a five season slow burn that seems to be running around in circles. And in the middle of the circle is a boring character.

Fuck Dany.

munchie64

The main problem with Dany's story is that rather than a constant upwards arc, it's constantly been up and down. She should have been inching closer to Westeros every minute. Season 2 should have been the season where she's a shitty leader not season fucking 5.
It would perfectly fine if she was still in Essos if at least she was still in that upward arc that should have started after she lost everything at the end of season 1.

The character's still cool tho, u guys r crazy.

pringles

Everything in Westeros is interesting. Everything with Dany has been a five season slow burn that seems to be running around in circles. And in the middle of the circle is a boring character.

Fuck Dany.
How interesting would things be in Westeros if Dany had rolled in there two seasons ago with an army of unsullied and 3 dragons under her control? It would be a 1 episode TKO for Dany and the rest of the show would be like her storyline in Mereen except in King's Landing and devoid of all the other storylines we have that are actually good.

Dany's storyline hasn't been great but the fact she is struggling, and especially the fact she can't quite control her dragons, is good for the show as a whole. It's long overdue that they're tying together her storyline and Westeros though. It's taken a bit too long for Tyrion/Varys to get to her this season.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of Varys, you think he's walking toward Meereen, or is he still looking for Tyrion in whatever city they were when he got kidnapped(Volantis?)? :p

borborygmus

And has had a miracle recovery, he's all clear.

That is amazing. Glad to hear it!

Hah, I'd forgotten that.

I was wondering that she could have both gave the doll to her and cured her.

I had the same thought. I'm pretty sure if maesters could cure the greyscale, it wouldn't be such a big deal anymore.

Melisandre curing her also kinda redeems some of Stannis' evil deeds, like spawning a shadow baby to kill his brother. It's still not entirely justified, but I can appreciate him doing 'anything' for his daughter.

I don't understood Danneyris decision that well. Why is she going to marry that guy?
He is a head of previous slave master family. She hopes that opening the pits+marriage will help settling Sons of Harpy down (the talk about tradition ect). She is an invader after all and using Unsullied in the streets didn't help. So it was either this or continue the human barbeques.

Mdk7

Another lame episode, the only one i liked out of this season is the third.
What a disappointment season 5 has been, at least for me. :/

This is still one of my favorite scenes in the show and at that point I looked back at Daenerys' entire arc and thought "damn, this character has come a long way" and I loved it.
After that it went downhill which is unfortunate but I'm confident that with Tyrion things will get better really fast, I just hope they don't drag out his trip to Meereen for much longer.

I absolutely love this show and I'm really glad I started watching it since I think there's nothing else like it but this season has been the weakest so far imo.

Bisnic

Was Drogon flying west, toward Westeros? I guess it would make sense, considering Bran's vision of a dragon flying above King's Landing. Maybe he's actually going to Bran. :p

Bisnic

Why does Danny want to marry him anyway? What's her plan? Whatever it is, it doesn't make any sense. Maybe she plan to make him confess for being the leader of the Harpies or to tell her who it is afer he falls in love with her? I dunno...

munchie64

Why does Danny want to marry him anyway? What's her plan? Whatever it is, it doesn't make any sense. Maybe she plan to make him confess for being the leader of the Harpies or to tell her who it is afer he falls in love with her? I dunno...
The same reason 90% of marriages happen in this world. Join houses/create alliances/ease tensions. You'd think this would be obvious by now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I expect Danny is about to have one of those moments where she does something awesome. I think they've been setting it up for a while now, getting people to drop their guard. Like when everyone thought she was going to actually trade a dragon and then... yeah.

I'm anticipating something like that with this "marriage". This season they've been too on the nose with foreshadowing. I think they're telegraphing this one a bit despite efforts to set up a surprise.

borborygmus

I expect Danny is about to have one of those moments where she does something awesome. I think they've been setting it up for a while now, getting people to drop their guard. Like when everyone thought she was going to actually trade a dragon and then... yeah.

I'm anticipating something like that with this "marriage". This season they've been too on the nose with foreshadowing. I think they're telegraphing this one a bit despite efforts to set up a surprise.

Yeah, there's no way she's stupid enough to risk losing Dario and his mercenaries. I'm pretty sure that guy she's marrying is guilty. It's just the way TV shows work, the guilty party has to be a character we've seen in order for the reveal to have an impact. It can't just be an anonymous dude we've never seen before, like "yeah, this random person is the leader of the harpies."

It's pretty clear she has a clever plan in place, especially given that talk with Missandei.

One thing I hate about Danaerys' side of the show is that most of what happens to her consists of self-contained vignettes that don't have much of a lasting impact that is interesting in the big picture. I could see this latest thing ending with her getting rid of the harpies, after which it will be forgotten, much like everything else that happened to her. It's all bullet points on her resume and none of them are really interesting.

I am hoping we get one big thing other than this:
- Stannis vs the Boltons. I'm pretty confident he will win but I can see a GRMM twist where the cold plays a role like it has in history which he takes a lot out of. The North are better in the cold. Stannis has to burn his daughter and he turns his red witch down. That means the prophecy of him being King no longer stands and he gets killed by the Boltons. I really do believe that Sansa can do something here, since the Boltons don't suspect her which makes her a dangerous blindside. Though the crazy jealous GF is a wildcard as well.
- Tyrion meets Danny. I really wish Tyrion was still in Westeros, Essos I am really interested in the faceless girl and no other. Final conflict with the Harpies and who is behind is shown.
- Walkers storm down as Jon tries to pick up Wildlings and they run away.
- Cersei gets her comeuppance.

I want one other big event other than these, as everything seems to be going towards a set path at the moment.

It's stupid, because she's supposed to marry Jon Snow and have beautiful babies.

munchie64

I am hoping we get one big thing other than this:
- Stannis vs the Boltons. I'm pretty confident he will win but I can see a GRMM twist where the cold plays a role like it has in history which he takes a lot out of. The North are better in the cold. Stannis has to burn his daughter and he turns his red witch down. That means the prophecy of him being King no longer stands and he gets killed by the Boltons. I really do believe that Sansa can do something here, since the Boltons don't suspect her which makes her a dangerous blindside. Though the crazy jealous GF is a wildcard as well.
- Tyrion meets Danny. I really wish Tyrion was still in Westeros, Essos I am really interested in the faceless girl and no other. Final conflict with the Harpies and who is behind is shown.
- Walkers storm down as Jon tries to pick up Wildlings and they run away.
- Cersei gets her comeuppance.

I want one other big event other than these, as everything seems to be going towards a set path at the moment.
I was gonna say that I expect to see a major death, but a major death could be attached to like three of your list, so that may be too easy.

So for something completely separated from your list... I don't see Arya doing much other than training and maybe killing Trant (sp?) so that just leaves Dorne. I'm thinking something big happens with Jamie, the Sand Snakes and Doran coming to a head. Couldn't guess what though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the reason so many people have begun to side with Stannis (here, elsewhere, wherever) is because there's not too many people left worth a shit, worth enjoying and rooting for.

Jorah's turned into a pitiful fuckface
Dany is clumsy as shit and lost all her interesting drive she used to have
There's no more goddamn Hound
Can't hate Joffrey anymore
Marge is pleasant but shitty and in limbo at the moment
Brienne has shown she's a failure time and time again. When she actually does something worthwhile it'll be nice, but not today
Arya's "away training" blergh
Jon Snow is doing ok things, but it's getting old up there. Glad they're moving on.
Littlefanga is cunty and doing creepy things
Sansa's not really setting the world on fire
Grey Worm is being a fuckboy

What else is there to really enjoy? And don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the show. I'm patient, and not itching for things to happen, because you have the set the table. But goddamn.

There's not much to enjoy.

Jibbed

I think the reason so many people have begun to side with Stannis (here, elsewhere, wherever) is because there's not too many people left worth a shit, worth enjoying and rooting for.

-snip-

Lost it at 'Grey Worm is being a fuckboy', amazing haha.

DSix

Banned
I legitimately expect the death of either or both Stannis and Jon Snow this season. If this show has taught me anything it's that your favorite character will die when things seem to be going well for them.

Brienne being near Winterfell is the biggest threat to Stannis (tho I half expect it not to really happen, as death never comes from the most obvious source in GoT).

Brienne has shown she's a failure time and time again. When she actually does something worthwhile it'll be nice, but not today
Jon Snow is doing ok things, but it's getting old up there. Glad they're moving on.

What else is there to really enjoy? And don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the show. I'm patient, and not itching for things to happen, because you have the set the table. But goddamn.

even the dragons aren't doing shit

If Stannis dies this season I will be so pissed. He has been my favorite character for a while now. I won't be surprised if he does, though. Everyone I care about dies. Why GRRM? Why?????

Was Drogon flying west, toward Westeros? I guess it would make sense, considering Bran's vision of a dragon flying above King's Landing. Maybe he's actually going to Bran. :p

Maybe Drogon has been off on his own because Bran has been warging into him this whole season as training from the tree-wizard! :p

Tyrion is love Tyrion is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom