• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Jon Snow could have garnered the side of the Night's Watch easier had he just spelled out the fact that if they leave the Wildings to die North of the Wall then they're just going to be adding to the White Walker army. Also, doesn't Castle Black have liked a ridiculously low number of men anyway?

He did say that.

Samwell stated in the last episode when Jon was signing those letters that they only had 50 men manning the wall. So yeah, they are quite short on people.

Valus

I feel like Jon Snow could have garnered the side of the Night's Watch easier had he just spelled out the fact that if they leave the Wildings to die North of the Wall then they're just going to be adding to the White Walker army. Also, doesn't Castle Black have liked a ridiculously low number of men anyway?

He did spell it out. They didn't care because most of them still don't really believe it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Speculation about Jon Snows fate (in this season at least):
He's listed as appearing in all episodes until the episode #10. Kit Harrington also appears in the new release of 'Spooks' with the same sort of hairstyle - which he's not allowed to cut by contract whilst doing Game of Thrones right? I think this means he will survive until next season at least. Also, I don't believe they will stretch out the Winterfell invasion for five more episodes which is the real threat to him now along with wildling wrath I guess.

I really didn't like the music foreshadowing Stannis's departure from Castle Black. I get the impression that Jon is going to hook up with him slightly too late. Stannis will save Shireen from some danger at the cost of his life. His last act as the rightful king will be to make Jon a Stark anyway.

The Tyrion and Jorah boat scene I liked apart from the ambush. Surely there has to be some link between this stone disease, dragons and fire?

The dynamics are well balanced in the show now. All the early ground work sets up everything on a knife edge. Glad to see where Drogon has been spending his time as well.

Plasma

Banned
Ah man not Jorrah.

Bit disappointed that Ser Barristan is dead, he was talked up as being one of the best swordsman and he dies in the first battle we see him in.

Stannis marching towards winterfell can only have two outcomes.

1. Stannis is defeated and killed.
2. Melisandre does some evil shit with Shireen.
3. Sansa gets her revenge, the North remembers. The real war in the North happens between Snow getting the Wildlings away from WWs, or they come to the wall as they attack. If Sansa gets killed this season, I'm going to be furious...

3. Sansa gets her revenge, the North remembers. The real war in the North happens between Snow getting the Wildlings away from WWs, or they come to the wall as they attack. If Sansa gets killed this season, I'm going to be furious...

Sansa is far too stupid to do anything. I hoped we saw a smarter version of her after the dark Sansa reveal, but that kennel scene showed she's still an idiot.
She lived with the Lannisters ffs, you'd think she learned something.

He did say that.

Samwell stated in the last episode when Jon was signing those letters that they only had 50 men manning the wall. So yeah, they are quite short on people.

He did spell it out. They didn't care because most of them still don't really believe it.

Did he? Ah, in my head he'd only really made it clear to Olly but I'll have to rewatch. I just can't see this ending well for him. It's hard to really know how long exactly he's been the commander at this point seeing as the show isn't great with it's chronology but for a new, young commander to be making such widely contested decisions such as the ones he did this week isn't going to end well.

Did Tormund say that the location of the Wildings north of The Wall was Hardhome? I see that's the name of Episode 8

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Did he? Ah, in my head he'd only really made it clear to Olly but I'll have to rewatch. I just can't see this ending well for him. It's hard to really know how long exactly he's been the commander at this point seeing as the show isn't great with it's chronology but for a new, young commander to be making such widely contested decisions such as the ones he did this week isn't going to end well.

Did Tormund say that the location of the Wildings north of The Wall was Hardhome? I see that's the name of Episode 8
I'm really hoping that they arrive just as the whitewalkers attack the wildlings. I keep harping on the whitewalkers, but I really want to see something happen with them, that opening scene in the very first episode was what hooked me on the show, and although so much has happened since then I still want to see the promise of that scene borne out and to see all the machinations be swept away by an implacable foe. My worry is that the whitewalkers will be a one episode anti-climax - big battle, Bran shows up, they figure out how to defeat them, white walkers are done.

Sansa is far too stupid to do anything. I hoped we saw a smarter version of her after the dark Sansa reveal, but that kennel scene showed she's still an idiot.
How confident are you in that statement? Sansa does something to own the Boltons in some way, hurting them in some significant way, anywhere between manipulating Ramsey or Roose to take down Miranda, turning son against father, to getting the North (and or Brianne) to go against them and hurt the Boltons, to helping Stannis sack the castle. If she does nothing but just pisses around looking at them and studying them, die etc (ie. be useless) then you win. Timeline by the time that season 5 ends. Avatar bet for 3 months. How about we play this game?

little-finger-nod.gif

Vashetti

Banned
I really didn't like the music foreshadowing Stannis's departure from Castle Black. I get the impression that Jon is going to hook up with him slightly too late. Stannis will save Shireen from some danger at the cost of his life. His last act as the rightful king will be to make Jon a Stark anyway.

That's just a variation of Stannis' theme. It's always been foreboding. Listen back to all his related tracks on the previous OSTs and you'll find they're very similar.

I wouldn't take any 'hint' from that music, IMO.

Jarnet87

^ Kill The Boy dealt more directly with Snow having to grow up and become Lord Commander, but its definitely possible it foreshadows something to do with Ramsay and his family. Maester Aemon even says the phrase Kill The Boy in the episode to Jon.

Sansa still has her part to play, will be a big waste of time if she doesn't.

^ Kill The Boy dealt more directly with Snow having to grow up and become Lord Commander, but its definitely possible it foreshadows something to do with Ramsay and his family. Maester Aemon even says the phrase Kill The Boy in the episode to Jon.

Yeah I knew it was related to Jon as soon as we got that scene, but I was/am expecting a double entendre

Gorger

How confident are you in that statement? Sansa does something to own the Boltons in some way, hurting them in some significant way, anywhere between manipulating Ramsey or Roose to take down Miranda, turning son against father, to getting the North (and or Brianne) to go against them and hurt the Boltons, to helping Stannis sack the castle. If she does nothing but just pisses around looking at them and studying them, die etc (ie. be useless) then you win. Timeline by the time that season 5 ends. Avatar bet for 3 months. How about we play this game?

little-finger-nod.gif

Man that would be great. I really would love to see Sansa get some sweet revenge and a long overdue victory for the Starks. She has been followed by tragedy, misery and death since Season 1 under the reign of Joffrey and now Ramsey an even crazier psychopath I fear Sansa soon will realize first hand.

mantidor

Sansa was only stupid in like the first half of season 1, after it she was just trying to survive, what could she have done differently?

I'm just saying I don't expect her to do anything in her current stage (aka being an idiot); I've waited 4 seasons for her to act, to do something besides pissing herself and running and nothing happens.
It also depends on what you consider being useful. Manipulating Ramsey and/or actively participating in the Bolton's fall? Sure, but lighting a candle in the tower so someone comes in her rescue is not something I'd consider especially useful. Also, I don't know much about Myranda to tell if taking her down would have a significant impact on anything.

Edit: Also, I just got out of (losing) an avatar bet with Verendus ;_;

Raynes

Can we have a rule against talking about shit like who is listed to appear in what episode? Those are quite blatant spoilers...

Can we have a rule against talking about shit like who is listed to appear in what episode? Those are quite blatant spoilers...
It should be under spoiler tags if people are discussing that sort of thing. In any case, note that IMDB listings are typically very unreliable because of how many people have editing access to them.

Damerman

Maybe if Jorah makes it back she can granite him a reprieve.

lol you say this exactly as I shot him down. Jorah has greyscale now... knowing the type of person he is, he is going to hide it forever even just to be by Dany's side, ignoring the consequences of his actions.

I'm very nervous for Tyrion and Dany because of Jorah... I hope he dies soon, but that will most likely not be the case.

Vashetti

Banned
Could Jorah not just burn that area of skin, or cut it out? Or even cut off his lower arm?

Has it been established how greyscale spreads across the body?

I'm just saying I don't expect her to do anything in her current stage (aka being an idiot); I've waited 4 seasons for her to act, to do something besides pissing herself and running and nothing happens.
It also depends on what you consider being useful. Manipulating Ramsey and/or actively participating in the Bolton's fall? Sure, but lighting a candle in the tower so someone comes in her rescue is not something I'd consider especially useful. Also, I don't know much about Myranda to tell if taking her down would have a significant impact on anything.

Edit: Also, I just got out of (losing) an avatar bet with Verendus ;_;
Verendus enjoys his trolling a little too much. -_- Cmon do it, I've taken so many Ls when it comes to predicting anything in Game of Thrones, lets play. If she happens to be up there and is in trouble and lights it up, then that doesn't count. But if she purposely lures someone there just to kill them, it's different.

Could Jorah not just burn that area of skin, or cut it out? Or even cut off his lower arm?

Has it been established how greyscale spreads across the body?

And how did Stannis save his daughter?

Also, everybody was making jokes about the Kennelmaster's daughter's sharp hip. Am I the only one who found it kinda sexy? lol

Verendus enjoys his trolling a little too much. -_- Cmon do it, I've taken so many Ls when it comes to predicting anything in Game of Thrones, lets play. If she happens to be up there and is in trouble and lights it up, then that doesn't count. But if she purposely lures someone there just to kill them, it's different.

Now that I think about it the odds don't seem to be in my favor with the producers' insistence on keeping her around and appear in every episode so far as well as the emphasis on her being the last Stark alive (which obviously isn't the case, but only Brienne knows about Arya and everyone thinks Bran and Rickon are dead).

But...what the hell let's play >:D
I need a new avatar anyway.

Though, can we set the timeline to the end of the Stannis/Bolton conflict (which might as well drag until the end of the season, lol)?

And how did Stannis save his daughter?

Also, everybody was making jokes about the Kennelmaster's daughter's sharp hip. Am I the only one who found it kinda sexy? lol

He gathered/hired as many Maester's from Westeros as he could, and one of them saved her.

She's definitely a little too skinny for my taste but that scene was pretty damn hot.

sangreal

or olly, before he betrays jon again!

but yeah, it was about jon growing up and taking charge

Crispy75

Awesome episode. This season keeps getting better an better. Regarding White Walkers. The only way they can be killed othet than Dragonstone is fire. Even if you stab it, it'll come for you and make you a white walker.

I think there's a difference between the actual white walkers - the weird wizened things with pointy fingers and radiant blue eyes - and their army of re-animated corpses. Seems to me like there's thousands of zombies for each actual walker.

This is the greatest comment I've ever read in this and the S4 topic. You sir need to sit on the Iron Throne.

Ser

sangreal

The Bolton "you are my Son" scene was a nice parallel with Stannis' very emotional "you are my daughter" scene from last week

You're right, but I made a different connection. I was thinking of the Tywin "You are my son" proclamation when he wanted Tyrion to be hand of the king

Thinking about the whole Jon Targaryen thing made me look back at S1.

It does explain why Ned Stark was so adamantly against killing the baby of Dany. Beyond the morale issues, it would of been a reminder to Ned of what would of happened to Jon Snow as a baby of Robert had learned of it. Maybe he held onto hope that Robert would not have gone that far, and when Robert says to kill the baby he's like .... Fuck ... He really would have murdered a child just because it bore the Targaryen blood. And that was the last straw for him making not give a damn about being Hand anymore .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom