• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode was so bad. I feel like quality is spiraling.

:/ was the best show I'd seen. Up there with Breaking Bad, but this season...

What did you not like about this episode? :eek:

I felt that it was one of my top 10 episodes of the entire show so far. I really like these solid set up episodes, like Mockingbird (407) in Season 4, and Kissed by Fire (305) in Season 3.

MikeyB

I mean, remove the boobs from that prison scene, and it wouldn't have been a better scene at all.
I don't know why they would have shown that scene at all without the boobs. That's what bothers me. They chose those boobs over a scene that better showed the growth of the faith militant or better showed Stannis' starving troops or, God forbid, showed Bran.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't know why they would have shown that scene at all without the boobs. That's what bothers me. They chose those boobs over a scene that better showed the growth of the faith militant or better showed Stannis' starving troops or, God forbid, showed Bran.

How can they show a Bran scene when they didn't film any.

UrbanRats

Who is that in your avatar?
Emma Stone.

In principle i don't disagree, but i think it's sort of too late for this season.
Even major deaths or shocking development they could throw in the final episodes, i fear, will feel unearned.

Unicorn

What did you not like about this episode? :eek:

I felt that it was one of my top 10 episodes of the entire show so far. I really like these solid set up episodes, like Mockingbird (407) in Season 4, and Kissed by Fire (305) in Season 3.

- Sansa returned as a tortured prisoner after earning some chops with Littlefinger
- Trite rape scene with Sam and Gilly, paired with an immediate sex scene (crap compared to the slow onset of that encounter in the book)
- Trivialized outcome to Bronn being poisoned. Like, HAHAHAHAHA
- These Daenarys and Fabio sequences are grating and flat
- Fighting pit scene. D is disgusted when it's some psycho killing everyone, but insert masked Jorah and she's suddenly way into the fighting pits?

More than anything, it was just the pacing and the rushed nature in how they have been handling story arcs this season. It's like they are trying to rush through stuff to arrive somewhere when they don't need to. By rushing through some of these arcs they turn into flat scooby doo scenes (EVERYTHING in Dorne thus far). When they aren't turned into borderline comedy speed-read-throughs they become these bastardized versions of events from the book because the show wants to take liberties for liberties sake. These past two episodes have just had offensive pacing and weight to their scenes, flattening otherwise potentially interesting character arcs.

+ Cersei getting hers. Only good think about this episode.

Nerokis

Seeing what happened to the Sand Snakes and Bronn, taking care of the "surely they use poisons, too?" question, and getting to know the Sand Snakes a little more.

Aside from the boobs, at least the short haired Sand Snake feels like an actual character now. You can gather she's (probably - wait for all of this to be wrong) uninhibited, friendly, one of Oberyn's more seemingly balanced daughters. One rushed planning scene and one shoddy fight scene didn't really leave much an impression at all.

DrBo42

- Sansa returned as a tortured prisoner after earning some chops with Littlefinger
- Trite rape scene with Sam and Gilly, paired with an immediate sex scene (crap compared to the slow onset of that encounter in the book)
- Trivialized outcome to Bronn being poisoned. Like, HAHAHAHAHA
- These Daenarys and Fabio sequences are grating and flat
- Fighting pit scene. D is disgusted when it's some psycho killing everyone, but insert masked Jorah and she's suddenly way into the fighting pits?

More than anything, it was just the pacing and the rushed nature in how they have been handling story arcs this season. It's like they are trying to rush through stuff to arrive somewhere when they don't need to. By rushing through some of these arcs they turn into flat scooby doo scenes (EVERYTHING in Dorne thus far). When they aren't turned into borderline comedy speed-read-throughs they become these bastardized versions of events from the book because the show wants to take liberties for liberties sake. These past two episodes have just had offensive pacing and weight to their scenes, flattening otherwise potentially interesting character arcs.

+ Cersei getting hers. Only good think about this episode.

I think she was into the non-lethal method of combat stopping the butchery.

dLMN8R

Seeing the attempted rape of Gilly immediately after the implied extended sexual abuse of Sansa was pretty dumb. Doesn't change my opinions at all about the previous episode.

It's just boring and lazy writing. Writers choosing what's "obvious" to happen instead of actually making things interesting and unexpected.

Gilly rewarding Sam with sex after he defended her was just fucking gross though. It's like straight out of a "HOW TO WRITE TROPES" guidebook. (literally)

I'm pretty sure that most women aren't interested in sex immediately after almost being raped.

Lucario

I'm pretty sure that most women aren't interested in sex immediately after almost being raped.

I was kind of surprised too. Didn't Shae lecture Tyrion in season 1 about how unrealistic this exact situation is?

EDIT: Yup, it was in episode 9. "A girl doesn't invite another man into her bed after almost being raped."

I was kind of surprised too. Didn't Shae lecture Tyrion in season 1 about how unrealistic this exact situation is?

EDIT: Yup, it was in episode 9. "A girl doesn't invite another man into her bed after almost being raped."

That really has nothing to do with anything though. They are completely different characters who are unknown of each others existence and lives. Gilly lived a completely different life compared to probably anyone in all of that universe considering she was born to breed other daughters for her father to fuck.

Yes Rusty, lets kill off the super powerful, cold resistant, Precog Fire Priestess right before Winter comes and the White Walkers come with it.
Stannis da Mannis can manage without her. All she does is corrupt him day by day. He's now gonna kill his daughter because lord of the flies demands it.

Stannis da Mannis can manage without her. All she does is corrupt him day by day. He's now gonna kill his daughter because lord of the flies demands it.

If he thinks it is the only way to win the upcoming battle against the Boltons he will.

If Stannis is having so much trouble getting to Winterfell though. Forget about him taking the Iron Throne. Unless he is somehow able to rally the north to his cause once he actually does take Winterfell.

They have made such a mockery of the Iron Throne though at this point it just doesn't draw the same weight it used to. Thinking of being the King.

brau

The choreography in most of the small skirmishes have been pretty terrible through out the entirety of the series.

I think you are right. but this one stands out since its the most recent. I guess i prefer heavy interesting and impactful dialogue than big fighting sequences. GoT seems to be more about repercussions and consequences, more than how epic it can be. Not saying that it doesn't have its awesome moments with epic fights.

If he thinks it is the only way to win the upcoming battle against the Boltons he will.

If Stannis is having so much trouble getting to Winterfell though. Forget about him taking the Iron Throne. Unless he is somehow able to rally the north to his cause once he actually does take Winterfell.

They have made such a mockery of the Iron Throne though at this point it just doesn't draw the same weight it used to. Thinking of being the King.
Stannis was able to sail to KL but was caught off gaurd with wildfire. He now got dealt with snowstorm on his march to Winterfell. He is the unluckiest character on the show. If he captures Winterfell, the banners will fall to him and he can lead a bigger army towards south.

Stannis was able to sail to KL but was caught off gaurd with wildfire. He now got dealt with snowstorm on his march to Winterfell. He is the unluckiest character on the show. If he captures Winterfell, the banners will fall to him and he can lead a bigger army towards south.

which is exactly what he will be thinking when he decides to kill his daughter to end the snow and allow his army to get to Winterfell. He expects the northern families to rally to him and march on KL also.

I have no doubt the kid will die this season, either by Stannis's command or someone elses. We were made to like the kid this season, which is never a good thing for this show.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Its because she dumb. DUMB DUMB DUMB.
I don't understand what people are expecting out of a character who's spent most of her life on the run from the people who've killed her family; who has had no formal training, no real friends, no family outside of a crazed and abusive brother. A character sold to a barbarian, betrayed by the man she trusted, and has had to deal with shit no Lord in Westeros has ever had to deal with.

Even with all their maesters, and dream team advisors, no Lord in the Seven Kingdom would have solved Mereen without a brutal, and bloody crackdown. One side is pissed that their cash cow has been freed, and the other is pissed the former haven't all been put to the sword. Good luck making that work.

When the dudes with all the training and know how are fucking up on the other side of the world, all the while dealing with easier shit, I find it understandable why Dany is stumbling right now.

I have no doubt the kid will die this season, either by Stannis's command or someone elses. We were made to like the kid this season, which is never a good thing for this show.

I don't think Stannis will kill her but her mother won't hesitate for even a second if the red witch asks her to sacrifice the child... (didn't she already wanted to do it in one of the previous seasons?).

Best outcome as a Stannis fan. He wins with whatever supernatural phenomena and wasn't forced to kill his daughter to do it. Bonus point if he kills his sheeple-wife in anger once he finds out.

I don't think Stannis will kill her but her mother won't hesitate for even a second if the red witch asks her to sacrifice the child... (didn't she already wanted to do it in one of the previous seasons?).

Best outcome as a Stannis fan. He wins with whatever supernatural phenomena and wasn't forced to kill his daughter to do it. Bonus point if he kills his sheeple-wife in anger once he finds out.

It's my fear as well that they'll try to use her without his permission because Selyse is scum and would probably agree to it. If they kill her off in that way I'll be pissed.

I wonder how Stannis moves forward with his relationship to Melisandre after she brought it up, that alone might cause some big problems between them.

Jarnet87

It's my fear as well that they'll try to use her without his permission because Selyse is scum and would probably agree to it. If they kill her off in that way I'll be pissed.

I wonder how Stannis moves forward with his relationship to Melisandre after she brought it up, that alone might cause some big problems between them.

It's gonna be the same as he is going to sacrifice his daughter. The Boltons have Winterfell and the weather, they will win the battle, Stannis will have no choice but to sacrifice Shireen. Jakes on Stannis though, killing Roose by sorcery will unleash the true beast that is Ramsay.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Like this guy cares about anything but winning. Dude's head is so far up his own ass, he doesn't even see how nonsensical his stance. He keeps talking about honour, justice, and being right. Yet after all that, he wants Jon to break his vows and give him his support? All he cares about is winning, and he will do and say whatever he needs to see that through. Bye Shareen :(

nubbe

Its because she dumb. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

she has a gentle heart

nom nom nom nom nom

LQlIUn1.jpg

smoothj

Well put. I also noticed the pacing was horrible. That scene where Jaime and Bron look at Dorn from a distance and then suddenly the next scene is them pretty much in front of his daughter. I was like WTF?? Not to forget that the whole scene felt like I was watching daytime soap opera jesus that fight scene was horrible.

Oh ya and dem tittayz.

Has anyone thought about Gilly being raped and the next reaction as a thanks for not being raped to fuck another guy ?

It's pretty bad writing imo, know that I notice.

Has anyone thought about Gilly being raped and the next reaction as a thanks for not being raped to fuck another guy ?

People are confusing rape with sex. Yeah sex is a part of it, but its more about power and removing choice through overpowering force. That is opposite of consent and choosing yourself if you want to have sex or not.

Stannis will have no choice but to sacrifice Shireen.

Like this guy cares about anything but winning. Dude's head is so far up his own ass, he doesn't even see how nonsensical his stance. He keeps talking about honour, justice, and being right. Yet after all that, he wants Jon to break his vows and give him his support? All he cares about is winning, and he will do and say whatever he needs to see that through. Bye Shareen :(

I refuse to believe that he will. He's definitely done some questionable things, like kill his own brother, which is far worse than asking Jon to help him, lol. But if there's one thing he won't allow, then that's to see any harm come to his daughter. Even if Stannis was to go ahead with it, someone important would die in the process by the hands of Davos. Either Stan or Melly, which at this point it seems that without each other the war can't be won.

It's too obvious for it to happen.

nOoblet16

There's fuck all going this season.

1) There was absolutely no point for that Bronn scene to take place, the issue of "what if they used poison in the last episode" is not one that needs addressing...especially when there are other more important matters to focus on considering the limited available time.

2) Why is it that every Darrio-Danerys scene which turns into a discussion about political strategy has to be done while they are in bed ?

3) Why is Lancel only now speaking up against Cersei ? And how did Littlefinger mentioning this to Olena Tyrell make any difference (I assume that's what he was talking abouy , might be wrong here)

4) That sex scene between Gilly and Sam, unnecessary, pointless and makes no sense when you consider the circumstances.

5) Also something that has bugged me, you'd think Cersei would be the last person to let the sparrows have this kind of power considering how everyone suspects about her incesteous relationship.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Well she was literally born to be raped, so it is not unexpected that she may behave differently to other people. Plus the way the scene played out felt pretty natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom