• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipotle

Are we supposed to know what Littlefinger's offers to the Lannisters and Tyrell's were? All I remember of his conversation with Cersei is the stuff about being warden of the north. Was the "handsome young man" (I forget how it was worded) the Lannister who revealed all of Cersei's wrongdoings to the church? Don't really get how Littlefinger could have influence over him since he's renounced wealth for religion.

Loakum

Banned
nC5ekua.gif

This woman deserves an Emmy!

http://i.imgur.com/nC5ekua.gif[img]

This woman deserves an Emmy![/QUOTE]

At first I thought she was fond of him, then I thought she was luring him, then I thought she wanted him dead, now I don't know if she loves him, wants to use him or is just nuts and has a "mirror mirror on the wall"-syndrome.

Loakum

Banned
At first I thought she was fond of him, then I thought she was luring him, then I thought she wanted him dead, now I don't know if she loves him, wants to use him or is just nuts and has a "mirror mirror on the wall"-syndrome.

My guess she wants to use him. With her glorious "talents", I can see her distracting an guard easily.

Prine

Banned
OK and moving to Danny, the Lanisters were allies of the Tygharians during the rule of the mad king.

Lannisters turned on Tyghrians when all was lost as Robert Borathian cut down Rhyghar (her elder brother) which resulted in Jaime killing the Mad King. I assume Tyrion will leverage him being an enemy to those loyal to Lannisters as proof he has cut ties with them, and his wealth of knowldge and battle strategy to possibly become one of her advisors? I think Varys was pointing to this. Im going to enjoy Tyrion/Dany combo if it does happen, it'll probably draw eyes on her from Westeros as as a growing threat. Tyrion i believe is still assumed to be the killer of King Joffery and ofcourse Tywin. Not sure, but looking forward to finding out!

funkypie

Banned
time is weird on the show. It is definitely not a year a series.

I think since the the very first episode, time has moved at around two years, which makes sense tbh. the only thing that doesn't make sense, is the ages of the children that have now grown up, which we all know has been retconned.

Metroxed

Can someone explain where the Dothraki are now? Are they still loyal to Khaleesi?

The Khalasar got divided following different Khals after Drogo's death in season 01. They were loyal to Dany only because she was married to Drogo. Without him she was nothing to them. They haven't been seen since then but we can assume they're out there doing Dothraki things. Jorah mentions them in season 2 saying each Khal had formed their own Khalasars and would probably be hostile to Dany if they met.

The ones that followed Dany were basically women and old people plus her blood riders. Some have died, the rest faded into the background as unimportant characters, it seems.

Jarnet87

Are we supposed to know what Littlefinger's offers to the Lannisters and Tyrell's were? All I remember of his conversation with Cersei is the stuff about being warden of the north. Was the "handsome young man" (I forget how it was worded) the Lannister who revealed all of Cersei's wrongdoings to the church? Don't really get how Littlefinger could have influence over him since he's renounced wealth for religion.

I Interpreted it as Lancel was the gift and that Olenna or someone may have talked to the high sparrow about it. the high sparrow then got Lancel to talk, as he mentions how his soul was so heavy but now so light. I don't really buy that however since Lancel has been part of the religious cult since before it came into power. I think the high sparrow was just waiting to play the card. If he had tried to do it right away Cersei would have had them all killed.

No doubt in my mind Stannis sacrifices his daughter. They are just setting it up to be vile as possible for those of you who got all sappy when he talked about how much he loved his daughter.

Chipotle

I Interpreted it as Lancel was the gift and that Olenna or someone may have talked to the high sparrow about it. the high sparrow then got Lancel to talk, as he mentions how his soul was so heavy but now so light. I don't really buy that however since Lancel has been part of the religious cult since before it came into power. I think the high sparrow was just waiting to play the card. If he had tried to do it right away Cersei would have had them all killed.
That makes sense but I still don't understand the bit where Littlefinger said to Olenna that he was offering her the same thing he offered Cersei.

No idea where this series is going but glad that Cersei's finally getting her comeuppance and that Tyrion has met Danaerys. Also think there could be good potential in the religion story line. Seemed like the high priest was threatening to use his influence with the peasants which could be a nice turn of events and refreshing after so much focus on the nobility.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
lol at you guys all getting mind controlled by the power of sexy boobs to somehow forgive the Sand Snakes for their terrible presence so far.

Also guilty

DrBo42

lol at you guys all getting mind controlled by the power of sexy boobs to somehow forgive the Sand Snakes for their terrible presence so far.

Also guilty

We all know how weak we are.

Edit: In other news, how sure are we that Jon is going have himself a white walker fight North of the wall? Has the dragonglass in tow, 100% gonna happen IMO. Although with only 3 episodes left I wonder how much there is left to show to prep for 6.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sorry if this has already been answered but what gives with the faith militant/high sparrow having all this power to throw royalty in prison cells based on simple accusations? I mean to me they just seemed like some sort of underground cult/religion at first. Is it simply because the new boy king won't step in to stop it? It seems really stupid but maybe I'm just not understanding something here.

Griss

No doubt in my mind Stannis sacrifices his daughter. They are just setting it up to be vile as possible for those of you who got all sappy when he talked about how much he loved his daughter.

There's no doubt in my mind that he doesn't, I believe it will cost him the war vs the Boltons, and there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the fans. He'll probably get killed in some wintery battle having warned Shireen to find Ser Davos and get into hiding beforehand, just in case.

Once Stannis is gone Melly will turn her eye back towards Jon, who should be arriving back south of the wall with a massive army of wildlings. (Because seriously, Jon going up there only to get killed or rebuffed would be ridiculous storytelling.)

Sorry if this has already been answered but what gives with the faith militant/high sparrow having all this power to throw royalty in prison cells based on simple accusations? I mean to me they just seemed like some sort of underground cult/religion at first. Is it simply because the new boy king won't step in to stop it? It seems really stupid but maybe I'm just not understanding something here.

There have been tons of hints about this throughout each season. Remember the following:

-The old High Septon (their 'Pope') was a Lannister puppet who drank and whored and did as bid. Probably didn't even believe in god. But it's stated that the Crown and the Church are the two sources of all law and discipline. They need each other to keep the people under control. That's how it works. Just because we haven't seen much of the church doesn't mean it's not powerful. With the High Septon being a puppet, the Church and Crown have always been the same thing so far as the show has been running.

-The people were already rioting in the streets back in Joffrey's era. We saw preachers on the streets back then inciting violence too. So the people have been ready to follow someone.

-The war of five kings has reduced the numbers of guards severely, and has bankrupted the kingdom. People are starving.

-The 'High Sparrow' just redirects all of this pre-existing anger, using food to get people onside.

-The Sparrow makes a move against the High Septon, and incredibly Cersei decides to replace her puppet with the Sparrow. The Sparrow is now 'the official Pope'. So all the religious small folk must now follow him, not just his Sparrows.

-Then she decides to do something crazy, and arms the Sparrows, undoing a law saying that religious people couldn't be armed that had stood for hundreds of years. All of this is because she believes she controls the Sparrow (as she is the one who 'gave' him his power), and because he can bring down the hated Margaery.

-At this point, the Sparrow is both the leader of his cult and the official relgious leader of King's Landing (and possibly the whole kingdom) and has an entire city of starving, high religious people to do his bidding in a place where there's a weak king and a decimated army.

So he basically gains ludicrous power overnight, but it makes perfect sense in the world as presented.

MikeyB

Nah, it's bad storytelling. But it was either flesh that out or bare more flesh and well, look at how much people loved seeing barely legal boobs.

UrbanRats

Nah, it's bad storytelling. But it was either flesh that out or bare more flesh and well, look at how much people loved seeing barely legal boobs.

Eh, blaming the lack of good development on one gratuitous nude scene is disingenuous at best.
Gratuitous nudity has been there since D1, and the development was also there.
This season didn't have that much nudity, and yet, we've been spinning in circle for 5 or 6 episodes, basically.

This season is just a mess on all fronts, i mean look at the fight scene in Dorne, ffs.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
There's no doubt in my mind that he doesn't, I believe it will cost him the war vs the Boltons, and there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the fans. He'll probably get killed in some wintery battle having warned Shireen to find Ser Davos and get into hiding beforehand, just in case.

Once Stannis is gone Melly will turn her eye back towards Jon, who should be arriving back south of the wall with a massive army of wildlings. (Because seriously, Jon going up there only to get killed or rebuffed would be ridiculous storytelling.)

There have been tons of hints about this throughout each season. Remember the following:

-The old High Septon (their 'Pope') was a Lannister puppet who drank and whored and did as bid. Probably didn't even believe in god. But it's stated that the Crown and the Church are the two sources of all law and discipline. They need each other to keep the people under control. That's how it works. Just because we haven't seen much of the church doesn't mean it's not powerful. With the High Septon being a puppet, the Church and Crown have always been the same thing so far as the show has been running.

-The people were already rioting in the streets back in Joffrey's era. We saw preachers on the streets back then inciting violence too. So the people have been ready to follow someone.

-The war of five kings has reduced the numbers of guards severely, and has bankrupted the kingdom. People are starving.

-The 'High Sparrow' just redirects all of this pre-existing anger, using food to get people onside.

-The Sparrow makes a move against the High Septon, and incredibly Cersei decides to replace him with the Sparrow. The Sparrow is now 'the Pope'. So all the religious small folk must now follow him, not just his Sparrows.

-Then she decides to do something crazy, and arms the Sparrows, undoing a law saying that religious people couldn't be armed that had stood for hundreds of years. All of this is because she believes she controls the Sparrow (as she is the one who 'gave' him his power), and because he can bring down the hated Margaery.

-At this point, the Sparrow is both the leader of his cult and the official relgious leader of King's Landing (and possibly the whole kingdom) and has an entire city of starving, high religious people to do his bidding in a place where there's a weak king and a decimated army.

So he basically gains ludicrous power overnight, but it makes perfect sense in the world as presented.

Ahh okay, yeah it makes a bit more sense now. thanks for explaining that!! I completely forgot about the sparrow being appointed the new High Septon.

MikeyB

Eh, blaming the lack of good development on one gratuitous nude scene is disingenuous at best.
Gratuitous nudity has been there since D1, and the development was also there.
This season didn't have that much nudity, and yet, we've been spinning in circle for 5 or 6 episodes, basically.

This season is just a mess on all fronts, i mean look at the fight scene in Dorne, ffs.

I agree that gratuitous nudity, rape, and all the other sorts of things people are taking offense at has always been there, but I think that in the past, it has been the background of a scene rather than the point of the scene.

I think season 5 nudity, rape, etc. is unique compared to other seasons because they do comparatively little to advance either relationships or the larger plot.

UrbanRats

I agree that gratuitous nudity, rape, and all the other sorts of things people are taking offense at has always been there, but I think that in the past, it has been the background of a scene rather than the point of the scene.

I think season 5 nudity, rape, etc. is unique compared to other seasons because they do comparatively little to advance either relationships or the larger plot.

I think you just notice them more because a(n interesting) plot is missing, and only those remain.

I mean, remove the boobs from that prison scene, and it wouldn't have been a better scene at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom