• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Pretty good episode. Kept the pacing pretty well and finally provided some plot developments. Not much, but a decent amount.

Speaking of developments...
5562a34d1aaec7043ea52155_game-of-thrones-sexual-assault-sand-snakes.jpg

What's her name? She's a good actress and whatnot, that is why I want to know....

Opiate

Cercei's mistake with the Faith Militant strikes me as completely plausible. In her arrogance, she believed she could use the Faith as an attack dog to destroy her enemies for her.

She thought she had a master stroke; force the Tyrells in to submission and absolve the crown's debts to the faith in the same move. She thought she could control it, but she had far too much faith in her ability to control those motivated by religious zeal. It's absolutely the sort of mistake I could imagine an arrogant politician making.

Taramoor

So the scene amounted to a zero sum, but they got to show boobs.
That whole scene was so silly, lol.

I think it highly unlikely that scene is the last we hear of any of this.

More and more I like my "temporary cure" idea and that she now owns Bronn and will pit him against Jaime.

turtle553

Cercei's mistake with the Faith Militant strikes me as completely plausible. In her arrogance, she believed she could use the Faith as an attack dog to destroy her enemies for her.

She thought she had a master stroke; force the Tyrells in to submission and absolve the crown's debts to the faith in the same move. She thought she could control it, but she had far too much faith in her ability to control those motivated by religious zeal. It's absolutely the sort of mistake I could imagine an arrogant politician making.

Did Lancel deliberately do something to Robert's wine when he was wounded hunting in season 1 or was it an accident. They kind of hint he was involved. She might be on the hook for more than the incest thing.

Opiate

If you rewatch the scene where Cercei first goes to see the High Sparrow, you can see she believes she's made a very clever arrangement; she is restoring political and military power to the Church in exchange for 1) a significant forgiveness of debt for the crown and 2) destruction of her political adversaries, the Tyrells. She doesn't quite say that outright, but it's a pretty clear subtext. She believes she has an understanding with the High Sparrow.

Further, you can tell that she believed that the High Sparrow was ultimately operating under the same rules that she was; a person maneuvering for power and position in the world. She believes he is putting on a face for the public to appear benevolent and kind, because in the world Cercei operates, that is expected.

But as Olenna Tyrell found out in this last episode, this is wrong. The High Sparrow is a True Believer, and Cercei's belief that they had some sort of mutual understanding was mistaken. Cercei would not be the first leader, in the real world or a fictitious one, who in their arrogance handed power over to zealots they wrongly believed they could control.

Exactly. Tywin warned her a long time ago that she's not as smart as she thinks she is. Her hubris will be her downfall. She doesn't respect the cunning of her enemies and/or perceived ally's like Littlefinger, Varys, and even Tyrion. She thinks she's winning the game but really she's her own worst enemy. Put it this way, had LF been granted her power the game would've been over long ago.

sangreal

But is Cersei is imprisoned because of Lancel admitting to their fling or is it because he also brought up the relationship between her and Jaime?

Pretty sure it is the fling, since that is what he confessed in the first episode

but yeah, everyone knows about the incest, there is just little proof. All the followers were yelling at Tommen for being an abomination outside the sept

I dont think they act on accusations, only direct evidence or testimony from a involved party. Unless Jamie or Cersei admits it I think they are safe on that charge.

Exactly... just like everyone knew about Loras, they still relied on Littlefinger's witness rather than the rumors

But is Cersei is imprisoned because of Lancel admitting to their fling or is it because he also brought up the relationship between her and Jaime?

I dont think they act on accusations, only direct evidence or testimony from a involved party. Unless Jamie or Cersei admits it I think they are safe on that charge.

Pretty sure it is the fling, since that is what he confessed in the first episode
If that's the case, I'm curious to know what Cersei's punishment would entail. Since Brother Lancel walks free, I'm assuming Cersei's punishment wouldn't involve death or imprisonment.

Another episode and Varys is a no show. I hope he gets to Dany soon. Along with Littlefinger and Olenna, Varys is the only one who knows how to play the game.

They never said exactly why, but I guess we can assume both. Sparrow even mentioned Lance coming by and confessing his sins and unburdening himself and that he had a lot to say about Cersei but it was never said exactly what that was, all we know for sure is that they used to bang. Everything else is just assumption really but we can definitely assume that he knew.

If you rewatch the scene where Cercei first goes to see the High Sparrow, you can see she believes she's made a very clever arrangement; she is restoring political and military power to the Church in exchange for 1) a significant forgiveness of debt for the crown and 2) destruction of her political adversaries, the Tyrells. She doesn't quite say that outright, but it's a pretty clear subtext. She believes she has an understanding with the High Sparrow.

Further, you can tell that she believed that the High Sparrow was ultimately operating under the same rules that she was; a person maneuvering for power and position in the world. She believes he is putting on a face for the public to appear benevolent and kind, because in the world Cercei operates, that is expected.

But as Olenna Tyrell found out in this last episode, this is wrong. The High Sparrow is a True Believer, and Cercei's belief that they had some sort of mutual understanding was mistaken. Cercei would not be the first leader, in the real world or a fictitious one, who in their arrogance handed power over to zealots they wrongly believed they could control.
We think the same but the zealots are very vulnerable because of how many prominent people they have locked up or displeased.

Opiate

In case you thought that was just a very particular shot of Rigg, here is another from her youth:

tumblr_n11z79mDqV1rpqdi8o1_400.jpg

The resembling is striking. I agree, Sangreal, Game of Thrones has excellent casting.

If that's the case, I'm curious to know what Cersei's punishment would entail. Since Brother Lancel walks free, I'm assuming Cersei's punishment wouldn't involve death or imprisonment.

Do they even kill anyone? I don't think so. They imprisoned a lot of them but I don't think anyone has been sentenced to death or murdered have they?

MikeyB

We think the same but the zealots are very vulnerable because of how many prominent people they have locked up or displeased.

The masses already think that Tommen is an abomination. The zealots have the masses on their side. It's ready for a full revolution. My one beef is that they loved Margery. I wonder if that will ever come into play or of we will have to assume it never happened.

Did Lancel deliberately do something to Robert's wine when he was wounded hunting in season 1 or was it an accident. They kind of hint he was involved. She might be on the hook for more than the incest thing.

he just overserved him (deliberately)

if you watch the episode recap before the first or second episode this series (where they reintroduce Lancel) it showed Lancel and Robert drinking while hunting and then dying.

Im guessing that was shown to remind people that Robert may have been poisoned by Lancel, on behalf of Cersei, when they were hunting.

The Sand Snake scene almost made me think she had magical boobies that were able to cast a deadly killing spell on people.

Yes, they were magical boobies indeed!

They needed to keep the original Daario.

Was there an official reason Daario's original actor was replaced? The new one continues to be unconvincing and has absolutely zero charisma. The old actor had so much more bravado and seemed charismatic enough to win Daenerys's affections. The new one seems both incapable of that and also fails to exude any passion for her.

Minion101

Banned
Was there an official reason Daario's original actor was replaced? The new one continues to be unconvincing and has absolutely zero charisma. The old actor had so much more bravado and seemed charismatic enough to win Daenerys's affections. The new one seems both incapable of that and also fails to exude any passion for her.

Daario's original actor is now the new Transporter.

sangreal

Apparently he quit to star in some transporter reboot lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom