• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Man got excited when I saw Daeneryus about to unleash the dragons only to bail out because they be pissed since she never visited em since locking em up. She seriously need to watch How to train your Dragon for reals!

I was seriously impressed with how the Rhaegal and Viserion looked, as well as the all black scene then the fireballs lighting up the dungeon!
I don't really like Emilia Clarke's acting. She looks the part but is an extremely mediocre actress. But that fits in with a lot of the female characters sadly.

Apt101

I don't think Tyrion is going to like Daenerys when/if he does meet her. For all that Dany has been able to accomplish she still comes off as one of the most naive characters on the show who got to where she is now with sheer luck and circumstances. Though Tyrion is a sucker for ladies so he might begin to swoon as soon as he meets her, just like every other major male character.

I think he'd rather take to her willingness to respond to advisers. He is used to his father and Robert, and even Cersei, people who were/are head strong and swore by senseless oaths or tradition rather than reason. Finding someone worthy of the throne who is compassionate (in a sense) but pragmatic would probably suit him.

Man got excited when I saw Daeneryus about to unleash the dragons only to bail out because they be pissed since she never visited em since locking em up. She seriously need to watch How to train your Dragon for reals!

I was seriously impressed with how the Rhaegal and Viserion looked, as well as the all black scene then the fireballs lighting up the dungeon!

I feel so bad for the dragons it is so sad :(

Yeah, I wasn't really sure either. She seems to know everything about...well...everything, so it has to be important.

I dunno, sometimes I wonder how much she really knows, or how much she's convinced herself she knows. She's confident as shit, I'll give her that. Probably the most confident character on the show other than the man in your avatar, may the fool rest in peace.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, sometimes I wonder how much she really knows, or how much she's convinced herself she knows. She's confident as shit, I'll give her that. Probably the most confident character on the show other than the man in your avatar, may the fool rest in peace.

I get the feeling she knows she's full of shit but just flying by the seat of her pants. That's kinda the feeling I get, but so far so good.

I really am concerned for Daenerys. She has had one colossal fuck up after another. I hate to say it, but she is just not fit to rule. She has the will to do what is necessary, but she is too easily dissuaded.

I think it's because she's so sheltered that she sometimes fails to understand the consequences of her actions.

I get the feeling she knows she's full of shit but just flying by the seat of her pants. That's kinda the feeling I get, but so far so good.

That's exactly what I think too. Still shake my head remembering how she acted like she would've fixed a goddamn thing at the Blackwater, even after Stannis called her out for not seeing Tywin and Co. in her conveniently semiaccurate visions.

Melisandre definitely has powers, but she's always come off as a really convincing snake oil salesman to me.

Apt101

I think most of them are fine outside of her and Sansa.

Iwan Rheon is typically a great actor, but I think he's too pretty for the part and hams it up a bit much. He certainly doesn't come off as maniacal and menacing, which I think they were angling for. Richard Madden also had only one mode, regardless of circumstance. I mean, just look at him during The Red Wedding. Watching his world fall apart and the woman he loves dying with child and he's like.... the same stoic he always was.

There are a lot of bad actors in this show, but the story elevates them.

besada

Banned
I'd really like to encourage book readers to go converse in the thread for book readers. We have it for a reason, and that reason is so you don't accidentally spoil things for folks, even if you don't realize you're spoiling them. There's no good reason to have your discussion here if you've read the books, and continuing to do so takes your account into your own hands.

Was it obvious as to why she asked that? Because I've no idea other than she want's to try to bone him so she can leech his blood from his body.

Good point! She has used her sexuality as leverage before. Actually, now that I think about it, that's all she's done so far.

I'd really like to encourage book readers to go converse in the thread for book readers. We have it for a reason, and that reason is so you don't accidentally spoil things for folks, even if you don't realize you're spoiling them. There's no good reason to have your discussion here if you've read the books, and continuing to do so takes your account into your own hands.

I've never read the books, but I agree it was totally out of line to post any fan theories. My sincerest apologies. Spoiler Tags doesn't make it right. In fact, it makes it worse because it gives the impression that it's been confirmed in other media. Again, very sorry.

slit

Episode was alright for a warm-up.

Previous seasons had better openers. Jon is starting to get on my nerves. I don't even know why.

pgtl_10

Boring start to the show. The writers could have used an episode like this one as a third or forth episode in the season but not the first.

Xamdou

Yeah that was awesome! Definitely a highlight of the episode. :)

Agreed!

I don't really like Emilia Clarke's acting. She looks the part but is an extremely mediocre actress. But that fits in with a lot of the female characters sadly.

That one guy was right though, she's acting more like a Queen of the slaves/unsullied when she is the Mother of Dragons. It was because of her dragons that she got this all her power but she cast em all aside after gaining that and didn't bother train em so now they be undisciplined. When she continues to train her dragons I think her acting will improve or when she is facing a great threat, for now she is just sitting pretty in her pyramid.

I feel so bad for the dragons it is so sad :(

Same, hopefully this be the season season where she will nurture em to be obedient. Daeny can't conquer Westeros without her dragons!

I think she worked well for the first season's version of her character. But did she grow into the character that Daenerys became? Gotta say, it can be a bit jarring.

Same, hopefully this be the season season where she will nurture em to be obedient. Daeny can't conquer Westeros without her dragons!

Maybe it's just one of those things. Like when people raise wolves as pets... as they get older, the wildness in them takes over. Maybe you might tame a dragon, but they are far from domesticated.

kswiston

Iwan Rheon is typically a great actor, but I think he's too pretty for the part and hams it up a bit much. He certainly doesn't come off as maniacal and menacing, which I think they were angling for. Richard Madden also had only one mode, regardless of circumstance. I mean, just look at him during The Red Wedding. Watching his world fall apart and the woman he loves dying with child and he's like.... the same stoic he always was.

There are a lot of bad actors in this show, but the story elevates them.

I was just referring to the female characters. I know a lot of people have issues with Lena Headley, but I like her in the role. Most of the supporting female characters are serviceable to good as well. Maybe the woman playing Melisendre is a bit over the top.

Vire

Boring start to the show. The writers could have used an episode like this one as a third or forth episode in the season but not the first.
I dunno, felt like a typical game of thrones opener to me. Go rewatch Season 4's... They are always just set up episodes.

Limit

I really am concerned for Daenerys. She has had one colossal fuck up after another. I hate to say it, but she is just not fit to rule. She has the will to do what is necessary, but she is too easily dissuaded.

I think it's because she's so sheltered that she sometimes fails to understand the consequences of her actions.

It's weird to say she is sheltered because she has been through so much in her journey so far. Basically got raped on wedding night, then unborn child and hubby dies, most of her tribe deserts her, she wanders in a desert for weeks, dragons get stolen etc. With all these life experiences on paper she does have street cred. But then neither her behavior nor her words are indicative of all that she has been through so far. All that has changed in her personality is her being more stern, sometimes. Very little growth.

Nekofrog

Banned
HBO on Sling completely died 10 minutes in and never came back.

Luckily the VOD was up as it was airing, and that gave us no problems at all.

Why wasn't Tyron seemingly bothered or surprised at the massive Targaryen restoration conspiracy revealed to him by Varys?

What i'm confused about is if Varys had some secret, behind the king's back plan to restore a Targaryen to the throne then why did he help with his spying in leading up to her almost being poisoned to death? It's basically luck that Jorah saved her and she is still alive at this point for both himself and Tyrion to go see and support.

Maybe it was because at that point Robert was still king and he was drunk and mostly harmless but I don't know.

Loakum

Banned
Cersei had the strongest scenes in this episode (besides the Dragons). I love Lena's ability to act, without saying a word. Her facial expressions are amazing! That flashback scene was very telling. Even as a child, Cersei didn't take no crap from anyone!

Apt101

It's weird to say she is sheltered because she has been through so much in her journey so far. Basically got raped on wedding night, then unborn child and hubby dies, most of her tribe deserts her, she wanders in a desert for weeks, dragons get stolen etc. With all these life experiences on paper she does have street cred. But then neither her behavior nor her words are indicative of all that she has been through so far. All that has changed in her personality is her being more stern, sometimes. Very little growth.

She's been trying to bend the entire world around her to her liking, and she's just now realizing that doing so makes one a tyrant. And it's often out of one's control. I think that was highlighted by how she can't even control her own dragons - her children, beasts that define her. She used to have people telling her that her shit did not stink, and now the man in her bed reveals that yes, Danny, your shit reeks.

I'd be surprised if she doesn't turn into the biggest monster of the show by its conclusion.

That actually makes me excited that most of the ad shit was taken from only the first episode.

Same here, last season they showed a bit of the fight between Oberyn and The Mountain in the trailers so I was hesitant to watch any this year but I did anyway so I'm glad that most of it is out of the way.

besada

Banned
If someone posts a spoiler, or a possible spoiler, don't quote the damn thing. It increases the number of posts we have to hunt down and expunge and increases the chances that someone gets spoiled. A little common sense goes a long way.

Limit

What i'm confused about is if Varys had some secret, behind the king's back plan to restore a Targaryen to the throne then why did he help with his spying in leading up to her almost being poisoned to death? It's basically luck that Jorah saved her and she is still alive at this point for both himself and Tyrion to go see and support.

Maybe it was because at that point Robert was still king and he was drunk and mostly harmless but I don't know.

I would just chalk that down to miscommunication. Robert was feeling mischievous while drunk one day and shouted loudly "It would be hilarious if that pissant targaryen girl drank beer with piss one of these days. Varys, get to it". Then Varys told via one of his crows to "piss in her beer" which somehow got turned into "poison the girl". A total misunderstanding. Given the communication tech in 7 kingdoms I bet stuff like this happens all the time.

What do book readers get out of posting in this thread? I can understand wanting to read the reactions but anything else just feels like people trying to be jerks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If someone posts a spoiler, or a possible spoiler, don't quote the damn thing. It increases the number of posts we have to hunt down and expunge and increases the chances that someone gets spoiled. A little common sense goes a long way.

Thanks for wiping my ass for me, I went back to edit and I noticed someone got to it with baby wipes

Venture

Yeah, I thought about that too. He may not have been sure about her yet. At that point she was still just the bride of the leader of a Dothraki horde.

Xamdou

Are there any Dothraki left with Daeny? Aren't they they most feared and ruthless race in that region and Daeny didn't even bother conquering the other Dothraki clans that split after Khal Drogo died?

Ridli

Yeah, I thought about that too. He may not have been sure about her yet. At that point she was still just the bride of the leader of a Dothraki horde.

Wikia recap recalls that it's Robert that orders that first assassination attempt. This was after the news of her pregnancy, before Dragons/Unsullied, or anything. I'd have to go back to the episode to be certain of how it's presented and ordered. I do remember Robert being very angry at any news of Dany at the start. I doubt that Varys could have refused the request outright, just had to hope (or nudge) that it wasn't successful.

Venture

Are there any Dothraki left with Daeny? Aren't they they most feared and ruthless race in that region and Daeny didn't even bother conquering the other Dothraki clans that split after Khal Drogo died?
I think she has a few left in her entourage but mainly women and children. After Drogo died she had no power whatsoever with the Dothraki.

jwhit28

I can't get a read on Stannis. Everything about him seems like he would be a good king except for the whole cult thing. I hope Jon Snow doesn't end up missing some fingers or worse. The Spider supporting Daenerys is pretty confusing as others above me have pointed out. Why was he feeding Westeros leaders info on her if he was supporting her and who else from Westeros would be ordering the assassination attempts? Also if Varys thought Tyrion could play an important role in this why testify against him? Did he just change his mind after Tywin died?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wikia recap recalls that it's Robert that orders that first assassination attempt. This was after the news of her pregnancy, before Dragons/Unsullied, or anything. I'd have to go back to the episode to be certain of how it's presented and ordered. I do remember Robert being very angry at any news of Dany at the start. I doubt that Varys could have refused the request outright, just had to hope (or nudge) that it wasn't successful.

Yeah, Robert set that shit off. Who knows if Varys simply couldn't stop it, or what. I dunno.

I'm gonna take Varys at being earnest about it all and truly interested in the good of the people.

I can't get a read on Stannis. Everything about him seems like he would be a good king except for the whole cult thing. I hope Jon Snow doesn't end up missing some fingers or worse. The Spider supporting Daenerys is pretty confusing. Why was he feeding Westeros leaders info on her if he was supporting her and who else from Westeros would be ordering the assassination attempts? Also if Varys thought Tyrion could play an important role in this why testify against him? Did he just change his mind after Tywin died?

Stannis has the rightful claim to the throne, therefore he should be king. :)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
More men need to show their dicks on this show. The gay scene was ridiculous.

Then again, it wouldn't really make sense for them to be flaccid.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
More men need to show their dicks on this show. The gay scene was ridiculous.

Then again, it wouldn't really make sense for them to be flaccid.

I'm sick of the double standard with regards to nudity. Really sick.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Meh episode. I mean nothing bad. Usual great visuals and acting, but not a whole lot happened. GoT seems to be really good at that.

jwhit28

Yeah, Robert set that shit off. Who knows if Varys simply couldn't stop it, or what. I dunno.

I'm gonna take Varys at being earnest about it all and truly interested in the good of the people.

Stannis has the rightful claim to the throne, therefore he should be king. :)

I'm not sure how Stannis is anymore the rightful king than a Targaryen, but I definitely think he would make a better ruler right now than Daenerys. Melisandre is pretty spooky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom