• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Are there any Dothraki left with Daeny? Aren't they they most feared and ruthless race in that region and Daeny didn't even bother conquering the other Dothraki clans that split after Khal Drogo died?

They mostly left her when Khal Drogo died... She had a few loyal to her but then they were killed in Qarth (in before correct pronunciation gif). Anyways, they don't respect women

Limit

You know, there is an easy fix to Dany looking meek, uncertain, and unqualified of her position issue. Everytime someone disagrees with her she needs to smile, make a V with her fingers, and shout "believe in me". And also constantly talk about her dream of becoming the hokage of seven kingdoms one day. Done and done.

Ridli

I can't get a read on Stannis. Everything about him seems like he would be a good king except for the whole cult thing. I hope Jon Snow doesn't end up missing some fingers or worse. The Spider supporting Daenerys is pretty confusing as others above me have pointed out. Why was he feeding Westeros leaders info on her if he was supporting her and who else from Westeros would be ordering the assassination attempts? Also if Varys thought Tyrion could play an important role in this why testify against him? Did he just change his mind after Tywin died?

Varys is a spy. Even working against Robert, he would have to appear loyal to the throne. This includes feeding information to Robert on any remaining Targaryen challengers to his rule. If he gave him nothing they would have thought him incompetent, or traitorous.

Also, while Tywin was still alive and basically in control of the throne he couldn't risk challenging him openly. He would have been executed just the same. Only with Tywin dead can he be a little more overt with his intentions (also because there's no way he could have stayed in the city after Tywin's death).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It was a good episode, the first episode pretty much always just sets up the season.

One thing I'm confused with though regarding Varys, wasn't he involved with trying to poison Dany in season 1?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought there was more man-butt in this episode than female-butt.

I saw a goddamned vaginer. I didn't see a penis :( No equality

I'm not sure how Stannis is anymore the rightful king than a Targaryen, but I definitely think he would make a better ruler right now than Daenerys. Melisandre is pretty spooky though.

You're right. But still. Stannis the Mannis.

Varys seems to be largely unaware of Dany's antics. Otherwise I'm not convinced he'd be adamantly polling for her. She's far more cruel than Stannis. It also strains credulity that he's trying to help the realm when all of this fighting for the throne is resulting in so much bloodshed. I like his character a lot, I just think he's wrong about a lot.

Loakum

Banned
Varys seems to be largely unaware of Dany's antics. Otherwise I'm not convinced he'd be adamantly polling for her. She's far more cruel than Stannis. It also strains credulity that he's trying to help the realm when all of this fighting for the throne is resulting in so much bloodshed. I like his character a lot, I just think he's wrong about a lot.

Not to mention Danerys has 3 freakin large Dragons, she don't seem to have control over. She'll be worse than having Sarah Palin as President.

Venture

Wikia recap recalls that it's Robert that orders that first assassination attempt. This was after the news of her pregnancy, before Dragons/Unsullied, or anything. I'd have to go back to the episode to be certain of how it's presented and ordered. I do remember Robert being very angry at any news of Dany at the start. I doubt that Varys could have refused the request outright, just had to hope (or nudge) that it wasn't successful.
Also when he agreed with Robert to kill Dany, her brother was still alive right? At that point Varys was probably thinking of him and not Dany as the Targaryen that would rule. And by killing of Daenerys he could enrage Drogo enough to cross the Narrow Sea.

BTM

Damn, that was a fantastic season opener. Not sure what some of you guys were expecting saying it was a "boring" or "slow" episode.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh when Robin Arryn was getting destroyed on the sparring field.

studyguy

That was pretty good. My reaction for a lot of it was the same as my girlfriend... "Oh yeah, I forgot about ___" Feel like it was a bit slow of a start specifically to jolt some memories.

Also that girl they cast was as Cersei spot on. Wonder how that casting went down. 'No mam, I simply don't hate you enough. Please bring in the next girl'

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah. Viserys. I forgot he ate shit and was going to be a kang.

I'm sure you're totally right, but when has she shown to be more cruel than Stannis? The last couple of season are all a blur at this point.

Has Stannis done anything as cruel as everything Dany's done to the masters? Crucifying and burning them even if they had been rebels? I feel like she never listens to anyone either, whereas Stannis at least seeks out council if he has to do something nasty. He came to Davos about Gendry, asked Jon what to do with Mance, et cetera. He has genuine concern. Dany is just a spirited bitch with little care for consequences.

Vire

I'm confused why Varys would want to help Dany in the first place.

It doesn't make much sense that Tyrion would willingly help her either.

Ridli

Also when he agreed with Robert to kill Dany, her brother was still alive right? At that point Varys was probably thinking of him and not Dany as the Targaryen that would rule. And by killing of Daenerys he could enrage Drogo enough to cross the Narrow Sea.

So I went back to watch the pertinent part of the episode (The Wolf and the Lion) and yes, there's a couple important points. Viserys is still alive, and Robert most definitely is the one who demands the assassination of Dany. Ned is so angry w/ Robert that he quits being the Hand. Varys definitely could not have directly refused the request to attempt the assassination without also being fired or worse.

Additionally, it's this episode where Varys is shown to have other interests. He meets with Illyrio (who would have already been shown supporting the Targaryen kids) in King's Landing, and Littlefinger calls him out on it, putting his loyalty to Robert into question.

So there's some precedent that Varys wasn't working wholeheartedly to Robert. However, given how Varys has been portrayed as an ambiguously motivated person, I can see how some could view it as a retcon. In fact, Illyrio was practically erased from my memory after S1, so his collusion w/ Varys is difficult to remember, and I only really understand the implications of their meeting now, 4 years later, heh.

Loakum

Banned
How does anyone know that for sure, though? When has anything like Dany ever happened? How long ago would it have been?

He had a crown and everything

Remember in season 2, when King Joffery was giving Margery a tour of the Crypt in King's Landing. He mentioned about a Dragon eating a Targaryan. Dragons don't make great pets.

Has Stannis done anything as cruel as everything Dany's done to the masters? Crucifying and burning them even if they had been rebels? I feel like she never listens to anyone either, whereas Stannis at least seeks out council if he has to do something nasty. He came to Davos about Gendry, asked Jon what to do with Mance, et cetera. He has genuine concern. Dany is just a spirited bitch with little care for consequences.

I think Dany made her point pretty elegantly a couple hours ago in that she's a queen, not a politician. She's a strong enough leader to actually control Westeros. She just needs a more compassionate person ruling with her to keep her in check a little bit
like say Jon Snow :p
. Also, she clearly still doesn't have enough experience as a ruler yet. Still, mark my words, by the end of this season she'll be riding around on Drogon's back showing everybody she's cool the same way she always does when things get bleak and political. Stannis is ruthless and prudent, but he's just not as inspiring and leaderly as Daenerys, nor does he have the support to take anything over. He'll be dead by the end of the series.
Remember in season 2, when King Joffery was giving Margery a tour of the Crypt in King's Landing. He mentioned about a Dragon eating a Targaryan. Dragons don't make great pets.

I think Viserys made a great case for not all Targaryens being equal. And besides, they said at some point that ancient men tamed and rode dragons.

Xamdou

Don't think Varys ever met Daeny, but he know's for sure she freed some slaves and liberated the Unsullied so now she has an army plus dragons. Also he's banned from Westeros so he got's not choice now but to jump the Daeny bandwagon.

Tyrion also has nothing to lose, him and Varys can be Daeny's advisor's but I really doubt that Daeny will stand the sight of Tyrion, him being a Lannister and all.

I dont know, he seems to be pretty full of himself.

Burning random people alive is pretty fucking cruel, and not even those who wouldn't kneel, those poor souls a couple of seasons ago were incinerated just cause they worshipped different gods.

I think Dany made her point pretty elegantly a couple hours ago in that she's a queen, not a politician. She's a strong enough leader to actually control Westeros. She just needs a more compassionate person ruling with her to keep her in check a little bit
like say Jon Snow :p
. Also, she clearly still doesn't have enough experience as a ruler yet. Still, mark my words, by the end of this season she'll be riding around on Drogon's back showing everybody she's cool the same way she always does when things get bleak and political. Stannis is ruthless and prudent, but he's just not as inspiring and leaderly as Daenerys, nor does he have the support to take anything over. He'll be dead by the end of the series.

I know she doesn't have enough experience as a ruler yet, and she definitely didn't when Varys first started pulling strings to get her back. Nor would Viserys have made a good ruler at the time. I guess I'm just curious why Varys has patience with the Targaryans but not Tommen and Margaery. Margaery in particular seems to have all the qualities Varys wants, so he should be happy.

I dont know, he seems to be pretty full of himself.

Burning random people alive is pretty fucking cruel, and not even those who wouldn't kneel, those poor souls a couple of seasons ago were incinerated just cause they worshipped different gods.

I disagree, but can see why you'd think that. I don't think it's cruel because the heathens were given many chances to repent. Although maybe it's fair to say that the Lord of Light is cruel, and that Stannis' religion is a reason to be wary of him.

Don't think Varys ever met Daeny, but he know's for sure she freed some slaves and liberated the Unsullied so now she has an army plus dragons. Also he's banned from Westeros so he got's not choice now but to jump the Daeny bandwagon.

Tyrion also has nothing to lose, him and Varys can be Daeny's advisor's but I really doubt that Daeny will stand the sight of Tyrion, him being a Lannister and all.

I'm pretty sure the whole "I murdered my father and despise the rest of my shitty family" thing will hold a little clout.

Limit

Varys makes kind of sense. He is always allegedly concerned about 7 kingdoms as a whole and feels like Dany is a good candidate. But maybe its the mystique of mother of dragons that is getting to him because if anything he should be making moves to situate Margaery in THE power position. Margaery is so much more politically savvy than Dany can ever hope to be. She is kind to the weakest of her citizens and simultaneously understands the payoff of this kindness both morally and politically. She knows how to charm and seduce, when the circumstances call for it. She aspires for greatness and knows how to make her dream a reality with all the tools available to her. The only things Dany has over her is fire resistant skin and three dragons. That's it. Everything else Margaery is just so much better at.

I wonder if Sansa will ever learn that Littlefinger was the one to betray her father in the first place. I hope so. Every scene where that POS is able to yap his gums and act like he is smarter then everyone else in the world picks at my nerves. Dude deserves a drop off a cliff.

Can't wait to see Arya next week. Good opening. Anyone expecting action hasn't seen this series I think lol. This is a show about politics that occasionally spills over into an actual battle but very rarely.

Dany was good as always. Love her. You can tell she really is one of the only people who would actually be a good ruler for the kingdoms. Which makes the likelihood that it happens all the less. Don't think the writer had any intention for the best of outcomes, but could be wrong.

Obviously Varys has heard of what Dany is doing and sees it as exactly what is needed in Westeros. And she has a powerful army and ..... Well used to have dragons. Something tells me she will have an outright confrontation with them and she will get them back but it will be on their terms. Or she will force them to " submit " to their mother. She isn't hurt by fire and doubt they would actually eat her.

I know she doesn't have enough experience as a ruler yet, and she definitely didn't when Varys first started pulling strings to get her back. Nor would Viserys have made a good ruler at the time. I guess I'm just curious why Varys has patience with the Targaryans but not Tommen and Margaery. Margaery in particular seems to have all the qualities Varys wants, so he should be happy.

I think it's a matter of symbols. Varys sees all this shit with the peasantry being discontented and he knows that nobody in King's Landing is gonna be able to win popular support. Daenerys, a rightful queen from somewhere else with a reputation for freeing slaves and killing politicians with fire? I bet that sounds too good to be true for someone looking for a people's monarch.

I disagree, but can see why you'd think that. I don't think it's cruel because the heathens were given many chances to repent. Although maybe it's fair to say that the Lord of Light is cruel, and that Stannis' religion is a reason to be wary of him.

Considering "The Old Gods", or at least one of them who was the tree faces, turned out to be a wizard for all intent and purposes, Lord of Light is probably just an asshole with too much time on his hands.

Stanis has the most right to be on the throne, but I don't think it makes him a fit king, not when Melisandre is going to be his right hand lady.

Varys is hedging his bets on Dany. Kings Landing with the current rulers won't last winter, he sees the best bet is getting Dany into Kings Landing before winter falls on the land and compete chaos erupts.

Vire

I guess so, but why not just live out the rest of your days in obscurity, beholden to no one.

Rereading a bit about Varys since some of the details are a little hazy at this point, in Season 1, Varys was asked by Ned Stark who he truly serves and Varys replied, "The realm, my lord. Someone must."

So I suppose his motivations are lead by the need for stability in the realm. He doesn't care who rules as long as he feels it's in decent hands.

Varys is a tough cookie to crack since his motivations have always been so nebulous, but it almost feels like Martin just made him a vessel to allow whatever the fuck he wants to happen - happen. Since no one truly knows what Varys wants, he can make him do whatever.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Tyrion and Dany meet up?" Sure!... okay how are we going to get there?...

I think it's a matter of symbols. Varys sees all this shit with the peasantry being discontented and he knows that nobody in King's Landing is gonna be able to win popular support. Daenerys, a rightful queen from somewhere else with a reputation for freeing slaves and killing politicians with fire? I bet that sounds too good to be true for someone looking for a people's monarch.

Margaery already has popular support though.

Considering "The Old Gods", or at least one of them who was the tree faces, turned out to be a wizard for all intent and purposes, Lord of Light is probably just an asshole with too much time on his hands.

Stanis has the most right to be on the throne, but I don't think it makes him a fit king, not when Melisandre is going to be his right hand lady.

Right. I'll not say that Stannis would make the best monarch (again, Margaery is my vote), but I don't think Dany is a better candidate.

Stannis is good at looking out for his own, but I doubt he has it in him to even begin to rule an entire continent. He was pretty quick to alienate the Wildlings when they wouldn't do exactly what he wanted, even though he knew they wouldn't be happy bowing to anyone.

You know what, you're right. Margaery would make a great Queen. I just don't see it happening with the Mother of Dragons coming up on the throne and no big family claim.

Tommen seems like a dumbass.. I get this feeling I will miss the GOAT asshole villain in Joffrey by mid-season due to Tommens ineptitude as a king. I hope im wrong though.

Xamdou

Since Stannis's diplomacy with Mannce failed, is he going to force the wildlings to fight for him to conquer the northern realm from Roose Bolton?

Also Stannis has the right to the throne but he is just a puppet of Mellisandre.

Right. I'll not say that Stannis would make the best monarch (again, Margaery is my vote), but I don't think Dany is a better candidate.

Oh, totally. Dany is clearly not fit to rule a kingdom as fucked as Westeros, not when she is keeping dragons alive she can't control and one on the loose, or even when she thinks keeping alive the old slavers as part of the council is a reasonable option.

If she goes to Kings Landing and tries to rule, she'll be dead in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom