• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

Man, if Stannis is actually able to fuck up the Boltons this season that would be fantastic. Ramsay and Roose need to BURN.

That alone would be enough, but there's also the consecutive resurrections of Beric Dondarrion. edit: beaten

I asked what there was since you said lots, it made me think if I was forgetting something or if there were things that went over my head.

But even the smoke could have been magic, last season she says that most of her potions are lies, used for deception into making people think they witnessed the lord power.

What Sober said. There was also the thing with the leeches where Stannis burned them and said the names of Robb, Joffrey and Balon. Two out of the three are no longer among the living so, take that for what you will.

That's true, with this show it could just be purely coincidental since there are so many deaths but at the same time it might not be coincidental at all since there are so many twists such as the one we learned about little finger last season, which pretty much blew me away.

Nameless

Other than the smoke demon shadow baby, what other conclusive evidence of the Lord of Light's power is there?

Not trying to argue your point, I just don't recall there being anything that proved as such.

-The Prophecy Melisandre read from one the Holy Books:"Stars will bleed...the dead will rise in the north yadda yadda "
-Meli being immune to the poison the old man tried to slip her.
-Shadow baby
-Melisandre telling Davos' son of his own death
-Beric's resurrections
-Beric igniting a sword with prayer and blood
-Stannis' Usurper Curses using Gendry's blood
-Varys' story about hearing a voice from the flames when the Fire Priest cut & burned his genitals.
-Stannis seeing a "great battle in the snow" in the flames
- The fact that fire is the only thing that can stop Whitewalkers and their minions.

-The Prophecy Melisandre read from one the Holy Books:"Stars will bleed...the dead will rise in the north yadda yards "
-Meli being immune to the poison the old man tried to slip her.
-Shadow baby
-Melisandre telling Davos' son of his own death
-Beric's resurrections
-Beric igniting a sword with prayer and blood
-Stannis' Usurper Curses using Gendry's blood
-Varys' story about hearing a voice from the flames when the Fire Priest cut & burned his genitals.
-Stannis seeing a "great battle in the snow" in the flames
- The fact that fire is the only thing that can stop Whitewalkees and their minions.

Wow, right on every account. Thanks.

Edit: How do I forget all of this so easily. I've watched every episode about 10 times.

nubbe

Snow, or ash?

Snowy maybe
It is snowing in Bran's vision IIRC

tZTXeL2.jpg

Nameless

Wow, right on every account. Thanks.

Edit: How do I forget all of this so easily. I've watched every episode about 10 times.

Oh, might as well add Melisandre not being affected by freezing temperatures to the list. I'm a believer. It might turn out to be something other than an actual deity, but it's tough to deny its presence at this point.

Koodo

Banned
Disheartening to see the way Daenerys was trembling going into the vault with the dragons. They either hate her guts for being locked up, or they want to escape a boring storyline - EITHER OR, she fucked up.

Thoroughly enjoyed the premiere though. Felt more like a catch-up episode with the way nearly every character was shoehorned in, which I appreciated.

Nameless

So I went back to watch the pertinent part of the episode (The Wolf and the Lion) and yes, there's a couple important points. Viserys is still alive, and Robert most definitely is the one who demands the assassination of Dany. Ned is so angry w/ Robert that he quits being the Hand. Varys definitely could not have directly refused the request to attempt the assassination without also being fired or worse.

Additionally, it's this episode where Varys is shown to have other interests. He meets with Illyrio (who would have already been shown supporting the Targaryen kids) in King's Landing, and Littlefinger calls him out on it, putting his loyalty to Robert into question.

So there's some precedent that Varys wasn't working wholeheartedly to Robert. However, given how Varys has been portrayed as an ambiguously motivated person, I can see how some could view it as a retcon. In fact, Illyrio was practically erased from my memory after S1, so his collusion w/ Varys is difficult to remember, and I only really understand the implications of their meeting now, 4 years later, heh.

But Robert got the information that prompted him to to order Daeny's assassination from Varys, who then went on to argue for killing her in the small council meeting -- citing how a Dothraki invasion would be terrible for the realm. It is important to note, though, that he pegged Jorah as his only source of information and never mentioned Illyrio.

Similar to how Littlefinger will play multiple sides and choose/manipulate whichever best serves his interests at time, Varys cultivates a wide sphere of influence and spins those relationships, and the information they yield , for the good of the Seven Kingdoms(as well as his own self preservation). His role with the Targaryen Restoration is no different. Years ago it meant uprooting the state of peace & stability in Westeros along with his own comfortable position, so he acted it against it. Now with Tywin dead, Westeros plagued by war and evil lords, and his position in King's Landing destroyed, Daeny is the best/only option...not just for Varys but the Realm.

Koodo

Banned
Also, the LORD OF LIGHT is generous for giving us another scene with a shirtless Michiel Hiusman. 🙏🏾

Nameless

Joffrey murdered a lot of them. Jon Arryn might not have found them all either.

Robert also boasted about fucking women in every part of Westeros so while Joffrey got the ones in King's Landing, except for Gendry, surely there are others spread throughout the country.

Really enjoyed the season premiere, I wonder what kind of role "the Sons of Harpy" will play, I've never heard of them before so I'm curious to see what they are all pissed off about. I'm also really excited for the potential of Tyrion supporting Daenerys, the conversations those two will have about politics and power are going to be amazing

Robert also boasted about fucking women in every part of Westeros so while Joffrey got the ones in King's Landing, except for Gendry, surely there are others spread throughout the country.

Yeah. I mean, you don't get a kid out of every fuck, or else brothels would be much less efficient, but the odds are good for it.

What was the reasoning behind those guys in gold mask killing Danny's solider at the start?

I don't think they said. Probably more revealed later.

Oh, might as well add Melisandre not being affected by freezing temperatures to the list. I'm a believer. It might turn out to be something other than an actual deity, but it's tough to deny its presence at this point.

Yeah, just re-watching the episode right now and was planning on coming back here to mention that.

Does anyone have an idea as to where Petyr and Sansa are going? She said they were heading west, and he said a place so far even Cercei can't reach them.

Yeah, just re-watching the episode right now and was planning on coming back here to mention that.

Does anyone have an idea as to where Petyr and Sansa are going? She said they were heading west, and he said a place so far even Cercei can't reach them.

The only thing I can remember that is far to the west is Pyke but I have no clue why Baelish would want to go there.

The only thing I can remember that is far to the west is Pyke but I have no clue why Baelish would want to go there.

And the Iron Islands, but again, why there. Not to mention I'm pretty sure Cersei has enough pull to get at someone out there.

I'd hate it if they were going anywhere near Bolton, Sansa needs to stay the hell away from that scum.

Mdk7

I had huge expectations, i even stayed up until 4 AM to see the first episode... and MEH, what a boring, dull beginning of a season.

Unless you're going to the fingers or further into the vale, the only way out is southwest. So they could be going nearly anywhere in Westeros. My bets are on somewhere north, though. That's where the remaining power players who don't want Littlefinger's head are.

demolitio

I still kind of think the magical stuff is a war between the old gods and the lord of light. They both seem to have some crazy shit attached to them that have actually happened compared to The Seven. It sucks knowing we probably won't be getting any answers to the mythological stuff until the last season.

Also kind of funny to hear the Rains of Castamere playing during Tywin's "funeral" scene as his kids talk. That was a major hint last year and why I figured Tywin was actually going to die at some point along with Joffrey.

I'm still trying to like Dany but it's hard just due to the acting I think. At least she'll meet the hero Westeros deserves, Tyrion, soon.

Sucks to hear the next 3 episodes have been leaked since I know some people will give in and watch it and inevitably spoil it for everyone else. My friend will probably make fake predictions knowing full well what happens because he's that type of person...lol.

Jon Snow is becoming a true leader at least and his part in the story seems to be getting bigger. I just hope he does get to see the Boltons die at some point even though I feel like that won't happen for a while to make the payoff even more worthwhile. It just seems like there's now 2034854 different families fighting for the throne whether the people know it or not so it should be interesting to see who wins. I still feel like they're going to go for some irony by having Tommen surprise everyone and be a good, gentle king just to have it ruined by events that happened before he even came to power costing him his life.

So I'm just going to say it now...Poor Tommen. Even though you're a Lannister, you're probably not going to deserve what happens to you. I almost hope they make you an asshole but I doubt it. It seems like the next top asshole that everyone wants to see die a painful death is...well..the entire Bolton family. :D

End ramblings. Commence sleep.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Great episode, love that Tyrion and Varys are heading to Dany. All my favourite characters

Dany fucked up
when the black one went a bit crazy and fucked off she should have kept and trained her other two, that actually behaved, rather than lock them up
she could have had two decent dragons and one rogue now shes got one rogue and two ones that hate her

also thank god for this thread because I had no idea who the little kid sparring with Jon Snow was

How was that lucky for the Lannisters? They would've been much better off if Renly wasn't assassinated and his and Stannis' armies fought against each other. The Lannisters were almost defeated because of Renly's death.

No it wouldn't have, because with Renly being assassinated this opened up for an (unrealistic) alliance with the Reach, giving the Lannisters 60k swords out of fucking nowhere.

So yes, incredibly lucky. Amongst all the other bullshit that went their way.

A slow and steady start to the season, but sets up a lot for the next 9 episodes to chew on. Really disappointed there was no Doran though. I kinda get the feeling he won't be in it much.

Looking forward to see what
the Rightful King
Stannis does. GoT has burned me too many times, so when he's going on about putting Roose Bolton's head on a spike I won't get too excited. >.<

Crispy75

Everyone notice Winterfell not smoking in the intro sequence? We're definitely going there :)

I have no book knowledge, but I said to my wife (who does) : SNIPPED ON GOOD ADVICE

aravuus

I have no book knowledge, but I said to my wife (who does)...

This probably counts as subtle book spoiler hinting, I'd snip that if I were you

Anyway, awesome episode, as always. I'm surprisingly interested in seeing what's gonna happen with Dany this season now that she has a rebel force on her hands and her dragon's are acting up. And she's gonna get the help of drunken Tyrion, of course.

Tyrion the GOAT drunk in Westeros

Good premiere, did a good job of bringing me back into it and picking up all those story threads again.
I really hope the dragons get a good amount of the spotlight this season.
It's disheartening to see how she lost control over them, I'm really wondering where they are going with that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool episode, but definitely very much an epilogue/prologue combo where nothing too shocking happened so much as establishing the themes and arcs for the coming season and tying off some loose ends from the last.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do we have an idea where Sansa and Littlefinger are heading? I think he said they were going west, where Cersei couldn't get her hands on Sansa? Where is that? The only place that comes to mind where Sansa would be safe of that is in Essos, and that's east.

Crispy75

Do we have an idea where Sansa and Littlefinger are heading? I think he said they were going west, where Cersei couldn't get her hands on Sansa? Where is that? The only place that comes to mind where Sansa would be safe of that is in Essos, and that's east.

West of the Vale is Harrenhal, of which Petyr is still Lord, in theory. The Boltons have left it and it's presumably unoccupied. Not exactly a safe place though. Further West is Riverrun, then Lannisport (and Casterly Rock) which is the (second to) last place they should be going!

Nibel

Let's just hope that Khalessi plot will finally become interesting with the dragon training, Tyrion approaching her and the mysterious group wanting her head.

Nameless

Let's just hope that Khalessi plot will finally become interesting with the dragon training, Tyrion approaching her and the mysterious group wanting her head.

Ehh, I find her bumbling around as Queen and the chaotic political climate in Slaver's Bay growing out of her short-sightedness pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom