• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE ICE AGE
latest

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Wall would be pointless if they could swim, they'd just be able to swim around it.
Good point. If they could get through or over the water at all, they'd probably already be on their way. Westeros would be fucked. My girl Danny might as well just stay in the nice warm desert with her new dwarven friend and be happy she isn't putting up with that shit.

Then of course when everyone's dead, send the dragons to take care of the ice and start moving your furniture into its new Westeros home.

*Stop autocorrecting Westeros! Thank you.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY

Good point. If they could get through or over the water at all, they'd probably already be on their way. Westeros would be fucked. My girl Danny might as well just stay in the nice warm desert with her new dwarven friend and be happy she isn't putting up with that shit.

Then of course when everyone's dead, send the dragons to take care of the ice and start moving your furniture into its new Westeros home.

*Stop autocorrecting Westeros! Thank you.*

According to Melisandre's prophecy "the cold breath of winter will freeze the seas" so if it gets to that point the wall is useless.

Nameless

Kev being Hand of the King is hilarious. Third straight Lannister to hold the post, not counting the One True Hand of the King, Ser Davos Seaworth. He's in an interesting position; if Cersei dies and Jaime doesn't make it back Casterly Rock is his, and he can use the Puppet King Tommen as he sees fit with no interference. Not a bad come up for a guy who's spent all his life as the inferior son.

And Pycelle is a dead man if Queen C makes it out.

UrbanRats

Sure, if they were all at the forefront of the battle. But how many of them are there? There could be a lot more that we haven't seen. Not to mention the fact that they would have to tear through an army of undead to get to them since some would probably stay behind the front line and since one of the white walkers can raise the dead, then every man lost is now also a new enemy. Also, we haven't seen what the other 3 on horses could do.

That has nothing with what i'm saying though.

I'm saying WHEN they engage in (1 on 1) combat, the potential for a cool fight is diminished, because as soon as they are hit they dissipate, or, in case you ain't got the right tool, everything else shatters to pieces.
I'm talking about potential for cool choreographies, not about how the lore renders them more or less dangerous in general.

Kev being Hand of the King is hilarious. Third straight Lannister to hold the post, not counting the One True Hand of the King, Ser Davos Seaworth. He's in an interesting position; if Cersei dies and Jaime doesn't make it back Casterly Rock is his, and he can use the Puppet King Tommen as he sees fit with no interference. Not a bad come up for a guy who's spent all his life as the inferior son.

And Pycelle is a dead man if Queen C makes it out.

lol ya verily XD

The look on his face, to me it felt like in his mind he was thinking this was pointless, we stand no chance no matter the size of our army. Shook beyond belief.
Everyone in the boat was shook. Brilliant piece of writing to make everyone forget about rowing. It makes it that much more threatening. Absolutely chilling...

I keep going back and forth thinking that this is the best episode of the whole series. I believe this is one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. There's no they can possibly top this in the next two episodes.

That has nothing with what i'm saying though.

I'm saying WHEN they engage in (1 on 1) combat, the potential for a cool fight is diminished, because as soon as they are hit they dissipate, or, in case you ain't got the right tool, everything else shatters to pieces.
I'm talking about potential for cool choreographies, not about how the lore renders them more or less dangerous in general.

To be fair you didn't say anything about a choreographic standpoint, lol. But it goes both ways, just like the Thenn, he was toast with one stab. It'l come down to the first to break guard and fuck up. So they could still pull off some amazing battles, plus, blunt end beatings, lol.

How have I never seen that before

You need to watch that movie!!

Everyone in the boat was shook. Brilliant piece of writing to make everyone forget about rowing. It makes it that much more threatening. Absolutely chilling...

I keep going back and forth thinking that this is the best episode of the whole series. I believe this is one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. There's no they can possibly top this in the next two episodes.

Yeah, that part had me legit shook. This is also one of my favorite episodes, when I was watching it I was thinking wow this is top 10, then top 5. Then I watched it again and it's up there as contender for one of the best.

They might not top it in the next two episodes. But the series finale, depending on how long it is (would be ridiculous if the final battle only took one episode) will top it.

Just imagine what we saw but on a larger scale, fully realized by the 7 kingdoms. If it gets to that then it has the potential to be on par with lord of the rings as some of my favorite battles in cinema, and this is TV...mind you, it's been over 10 years and tech has come a long way, but still. HBO has outdone themselves.

demolitio

You burn them with DRAGON'S FIRE.

That means Dany will someday go to the North and that's how she will rule Westeros. She will marry Jon, and then the long lost Targaryen bloodline will rise again~

.... on that note, why doesnt she go and find more dragon eggs. i mean she had three as a gift originally, so... maybe there's still more eggs out there, even if they are SUPER RARE or something.

If anything, I figure the dragon that's on the loose is going to show up over Castle Black and help take out the White Walkers, whether it's because Jon Snow is a Targaryen or the dragon goes there anyway and Bran manages to take it over to help in the fight (next season I guess).

I think Jon is definitely a major part of the end game and I guess it wouldn't be too shocking if Dany ends up at the wall at some point, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. She's got her own problems to deal with and Stannis hasn't really had a chance to rule yet. I figure we get one more king after the Lannisters are overthrown and then that person deals with their own fights until Dany comes or else Dany never comes because this story likes to mess with people's expectations and the usual story tropes and it's really Jon that leads the Targaryen line as he presumably has blood of two historic families that are descendents of the First Men.

I just don't see Dany helping out anytime soon unless everyone works together to get the old mines in Valyria working (Jorah?) and distributing Valyrian Steel and Dragon Glass to Westeros to defend against the White Walkers. I'm just upset Bran's storyline isn't progressing this season but I guess he really is part of the end game as well. The supernatural/religion aspects of the show interest me just as much the political intrigue.

I still expect Stannis to be THE ONE TRUE KING for a little bit just to see if he can be just or if the religious fanaticism he's used to help his cause so far comes back to bite him in the ass as they persecute people. I still feel like his story is one of the old medieval kings being puppets to religious leaders like archbishops, etc.

Edit: To be clear, I think this season will end with the White Walkers within sight of the wall but then the dragon (forget the names of 2 of em) flies overhead as it fades to black setting us up for an awesome season.

If anything, I figure the dragon that's on the loose is going to show up over Castle Black and help take out the White Walkers, whether it's because Jon Snow is a Targaryen or the dragon goes there anyway and Bran manages to take it over to help in the fight (next season I guess).

I think Jon is definitely a major part of the end game and I guess it wouldn't be too shocking if Dany ends up at the wall at some point, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. She's got her own problems to deal with and Stannis hasn't really had a chance to rule yet. I figure we get one more king after the Lannisters are overthrown and then that person deals with their own fights until Dany comes or else Dany never comes because this story likes to mess with people's expectations and the usual story tropes and it's really Jon that leads the Targaryen line as he presumably has blood of two historic families that are descendents of the First Men.

I just don't see Dany helping out anytime soon unless everyone works together to get the old mines in Valyria working (Jorah?) and distributing Valyrian Steel and Dragon Glass to Westeros to defend against the White Walkers. I'm just upset Bran's storyline isn't progressing this season but I guess he really is part of the end game as well. The supernatural/religion aspects of the show interest me just as much the political intrigue.

I still expect Stannis to be THE ONE TRUE KING for a little bit just to see if he can be just or if the religious fanaticism he's used to help his cause so far comes back to bite him in the ass as they persecute people. I still feel like his story is one of the old medieval kings being puppets to religious leaders like archbishops, etc.

Drogon?

Ya, maybe. IDK. I asked a few pages before though and Bran's not in this season so, no possibility of Bran warging a dragon, I guess :<

Bolded part: O! Another Bran fan! AWWWW YASSS <3

I also don't see Dany in Westeros anytime soon. Or maybe ever. Maybe she decides to remain in Meeren, after Tyrion's counsel. Who knows.

Donno about Stannis..... I dont really want him to ascend the throne if the price is burning his daughter. Melisandre is super seductive though. Props to Stannis for standing up to her insanity when she suggested burning Shireen for victory. What a crazy woman.

One of my favorite moments from last night was this.

thEGRLo.png

This to me was such a beautiful piece of cinematography. The pause gave the viewer a moment to let it sink in. Jon just slouched over, the stance, fighting in the background, the silence.

Just amazing.

The scenes with Tyrion was literally the first time since the ending of the first season that I have watched a Dany scene with bated breath. Hopefully this makes her arc somewhat interesting again because its been dragging downwards for like 4 seasons now.

Boton Jr is just so over the top, comically evil that I cant help but laugh even though some of his scenes are supposed to be horrifying. Its hard to take him seriously.

The zombie fight did nothing for me though. It look nice and expensive but thats it. I love the tense conversational moments in this series far more than the action set pieces.

Maybe already answered but why didn't thst religious cult throw little finger in the dungeon? They obviously don't give a fuck who you are (cercei is in there) and they have dirt on him

Maybe already answered but why didn't thst religious cult throw little finger in the dungeon? They obviously don't give a fuck who you are (cercei is in there) and they have dirt on him

I think at the time they confronted him, they sort of still beholden to Cersei

I donno about NOW though

Maybe he being smart and being hard to find

kyser73

Well from his point of view its the women he lost his virginity too.. plus Ive never really had anything against her house or her character. She definitely has personally interests but still shes not evil, and even though Cersei is evil Tommem would never think that, the fact the everything against Cersei cant be proven anyway.. just becasue some cousin says soo... :/ This whole 7th heaven religious story arc is just soo stupid to me, this shit wouldn't go down if Tywin, Robert or Joffrey(lol) hell even if Jamie was their.. I know I guess Cersei put things in to motion but its just silly to me..Tommem is showing that he isnt a King..by allowing this the happen... Jamie needs to get back and fuck shit up.

She needed to shore up some kind of power base. The Lannisters are out of gold and owe money to the Iron Bank, and with Tywin gone she was essentially isolated and powerless.

She made the mistake of thinking she could rein in the zealotry she unleashed.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm pretty stoked about Sansa learning that Bran and Rickon are alive. If she ever meets Brienne, she'll learn that 4 of her siblings are alive. Perhaps this will mean she'll finally stop being a terrible character. It would be cool if this motivates her to stay in Winterfell and take it back politically, rather than letting everyone use her as a puppet. Sansa organizing the north and retaking Winterfell that way would be more satisfying then Stannis just stabbing the Bolton's to death.

She could also relieve Brienne of her oath and reassign her to go hunt down Rickon so that he can be the new Lord of Winterfell. Because there's no way Sansa Tully-Lannister-Arryn-Baeylish-Bolton can lay claim to it as a Stark, not without a pure Stark helping her out. Hence where Rickon can finally serve a purpose. And hey, worse case scenario, Brienne is on another wild goose chase and ends up North to fight some White Walkers with her dragonsteel sword.

This result, while wishful thinking, would be good character arcs for Sansa, Theon, Brienne and Rickon. Of course, knowing Game of Thrones this will happen only for Ramsey to immediately kill Brienne and impregnate Sansa :/

Moaradin

I wonder if this season will break the tradition of episode 9 being the big one. I have a hard time believing anything else can top last episode lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The goofy CGI of the white walkers really ruins it for me. I also don't like long action sequences, but I'm glad that side of the story is progressing somewhat.

Alpende

Saw it last night and holy shiit, what a great episode. The tension was real in those last 30 minutes or so. They also did an amazing job in establishing that wildling woman in such a short amount of time, although you could see her death coming from a mile away.

Red Hood

Banned
Great episode! Was this White Walker the same as in season 1? Looks different, but I thought the first one was a leader of some kind.

Tuffty

I can't imagine the White Walkers have the ability to freeze water. Otherwise they could just use it walk right around the Wall straight towards Kings Landing or anywhere else.

takriel

I can't imagine the White Walkers have the ability to freeze water. Otherwise they could just use it walk right around the Wall straight towards Kings Landing or anywhere else.

Heck they would have used it right there and then to finish off Jon, his brothers and the Wildlings.

Well I am thinking that all the White Walkers are being controlled and created by one central being or god, the Ice god. Or is this known?

I have a problem with the "break the wheel" statement. She claims to be all about creating a better world but her comment implies she's going to march into Westeros and smash everything to shit. How the hell does she think that is going to inspire the people there after that?

She's going to be hated.

But hey, we all know she's not going to end up Queen, right? Her entire purpose - whether she knows it or not - seems to be orientated around repelling the White Walkers (dragons and their fire being their Kryptonite).

Vagabundo

I seriously thought Jon was fucked. I thought the Walker was going to freeze the harbour and the undead would swamp his stuck boat.

Although I consider Jon to have plot armour GRRM has backhanded me once too often for me to 100%.

Nice episode. Dany is interesting again. It make you realise how boring her arc has been until Tyrion showed up.

Man, they really have to focus on taking out the white ones, the zombi army will just continue to increase with the casualties of every battle.
Almost thought Jon wouldn't make it but losing the character now wouldn't make any sense.

Gotta feel sorry for Jorah, the person he captured to fall into Danny's good graces again actually ended up taking his place. The guy wont give up though, gotta respect him for that.
Tyrion can talk his way out of anything, that ability saved him more times than even the best sword skills ever could.

I seriously thought Jon was fucked. I thought the Walker was going to freeze the harbour and the undead would swamp his stuck boat.

Although I consider Jon to have plot armour GRRM has backhanded me once too often for me to 100%.

Nice episode. Dany is interesting again. It make you realise how boring her arc has been until Tyrion showed up.

Yeah, I thought he was going to freeze the water so they could walk on it. That scene was intense though. Really gave them that "we're so fucked" moment.

Siegcram

I have a problem with the "break the wheel" statement. She claims to be all about creating a better world but her comment implies she's going to march into Westeros and smash everything to shit. How the hell does she think that is going to inspire the people there after that?

She's going to be hated.
She is still head-deep in her own "breaker of chains kool-aid".

So to her it makes perfect sense that once she smashes the established houses the common folk will go all Misa on her. For all her accomplishments in the east Dany is still completely ignorant towards the Westeros culture. Which makes Tyrion falling into her lap such a big deal.

Donos

Saw it last night and holy shiit, what a great episode. The tension was real in those last 30 minutes or so. They also did an amazing job in establishing that wildling woman in such a short amount of time, although you could see her death coming from a mile away.

Yeah, when she sat her children into the boat and the cam zoom on her concerned face it was clear she's already dead.

Yeah, when she sat her children into the boat and the cam zoom on her concerned face it was clear she's already dead.

Yeah, but I still felt sorry for her, especially with the way it happened, those zombie kids were some heavy stuff, as a mother she couldn't bring herself to fight them.
And then to top it all off being turned into one of them... It's fucked up.

Kinyou

She's going to be hated.

But hey, we all know she's not going to end up Queen, right? Her entire purpose - whether she knows it or not - seems to be orientated around repelling the White Walkers (dragons and their fire being their Kryptonite).
It was a bit weird because a second earlier tyrion told her how violence isn't always the best approach

I just took it as her being dramatic about how she wants to abolish the system in place where certain families rule and have power and instead instate one where all people--common or otherwise--are equal.

nubbe

The wheel is also funny since it is her family that has been on the thrones for like hundreds of years

inbreed crazy people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom