• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

So my uncle just watched the Game of Thrones episode where Sansa gets raped and said "well if anyone deserves it [to be raped] it is her." And then when I acted incredulous that he had said something like that he said it was because she didn't fight back.

I've never been more disgusted with someone in my life. Now I've no real context here, I've read the books but not really watched the show. Did they somehow change Sansa's character to be completely vile and despicable, because then perhaps I could see why my uncle would say that.

No, that's a pretty dumb thing to say. If anything, trying to resist Ramsay would have just ended up worse for her.

Is there some reason Shireen had to be burned while conscious? Couldn't they have drugged her or knocked her out or something?

The Lord of Light seems like an asshole.

Very good point.

In the case of Mance, he was getting executed, but in this case I see absolutely no reason as to why she had to be burned alive.

Hopefully someone can chime in, I don't ever remember them mentioning anything about the rules of sacrifice.

I was about to lose my shit if a handful of Sons of the Harpy were going to kill a fucking dragon. A dragon who seems to like taking it's time killing its enemies, but still a dragon nonetheless.

The Dorne stuff continues to feel rushed and inconsequential. Jaime and Bronn complete their mission and go home with a slap on the wrist (or in Bronn's case, a punch in the face). Ellaria's "Rebellion" is quelled pretty easily which is unsurprising considering it was composed of 4 people including herself.

Lorcain

No way that'll happen, she doesn't know how to yet.
True. We've never seen Arya practice her facekata. There are rules and procedures that have to be followed. You don't just go full face on the first try. Start with something simple, like a mole.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was about to lose my shit if a handful of Sons of the Harpy were going to kill a fucking dragon. A dragon who seems to like taking it's time killing its enemies, but still a dragon nonetheless.

The Dorne stuff continues to feel rushed and inconsequential. Jaime and Bronn complete their mission and go home with a slap on the wrist (or in Bronn's case, a punch in the face). Ellaria's "Rebellion" is quelled pretty easily which is unsurprising considering it was composed of 4 people including herself.

I have a feeling they might not want to leave Dorne considering what's going on in King's Landing.

Apoc29

RIP Lenny Kravitz.

The Meereen Coliseum security is shit. They didn't bother checking the crowd for Harpy masks? I guess they were too well disguised...

FjXFDoy.gif

sangreal

I think ultimately it was just a shitty plot thrown together to get Jaime out of King's Landing for the faith militant stuff

RIP Lenny Kravitz.

The Meereen Coliseum security is shit. They didn't bother checking the crowd for Harpy masks? I guess they were too well disguised...

FjXFDoy.gif

lol, I love how after Jorah kill the one harpy there are dozens behind him in masks that nobody noticed

Blader

I think ultimately it was just a shitty plot thrown together to get Jaime out of King's Landing for the faith militant stuff

lol, I love how after Jorah kill the one harpy there are dozens behind him in masks that nobody noticed

They were putting on their masks just then, weren't they? It's not like they walked into the colosseum wearing them.

sangreal

They were putting on their masks just then, weren't they? It's not like they walked into the colosseum wearing them.

no, that's the thing. They're all just shown chilling in their seats with their masks on. They aren't shown putting them on or anything. Assuming they all put them on en masse before the assassin strikes, you'd think the guards would have noticed that anyway

or, at least the people sitting next to them which were subsequently slaughtered

(I'm not actually bothered by this, I just thought it was funny/sloppy editing)

boxter432

I kinda wished the people that got burned completely incinerated immediately, I always kind of assumed a large dragon's breath was realllllly hot and would just melt everyone instead of just killing them more slowly like regular fire.

Very good point.

In the case of Mance, he was getting executed, but in this case I see absolutely no reason as to why she had to be burned alive.

Hopefully someone can chime in, I don't ever remember them mentioning anything about the rules of sacrifice.

Melissandre said that the sacrifice has to be done by fire or something. I think it was in the previous episode. If she was killed before then she would not have died by fire.

The Lord of Light's power is strongly associated with fire, after all.

Still, it was such a horrible death for such an innocent girl. IDK. Why the leeches not worky anymore. WHY.

Her screams ;____; I wanted to jump into the scene, turned into the Incredible Hulk and saved that poor lamb ;____;

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

sangreal

Still, it was such a horrible death for such an innocent girl. IDK. Why the leeches not worky anymore. WHY.

people keep saying this -- the leeches were only ever a demonstration for davos, and even at that there is little evidence they did much. The Usurper Balon is still alive, for example -- and the rest hardly died through divine means. Melisandre and Stannis were planning to kill Gendry before Davos released him. Stannis even gave a speech about how sacrificing a kid is worth it

I suppose the best answer though, is simply that this is what the lord of light showed Melisandre and Selyse in their visions and who are they to doubt his requirements? Stannis did ask if leeches would work. Melisandre said no

turtle553

When does the most recent episode hit HBO GO? I thought it was supposed to be available, but my wife just tried to watch it and it's only a preview.

If I try it on the XBOX One, some times I need to force quit the app so it reloads with the latest episode available.

Melissandre said that the sacrifice has to be done by fire or something. I think it was in the previous episode. If she was killed before then she would not have died by fire.

The Lord of Light's power is strongly associated with fire, after all.

Her screams ;____; I wanted to jump into the scene, turned into the Incredible Hulk and saved that poor lamb ;____;

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Right, but what Dennis pointed out is why she couldn't have been knocked out. She'd still be alive, just not aware of what was happening.

I don't know how long someone stays unconscious when knocked out, or how easily they can awake. So it might not be possible physically speaking, but it's just an idea.

sangreal

I kinda wished the people that got burned completely incinerated immediately, I always kind of assumed a large dragon's breath was realllllly hot and would just melt everyone instead of just killing them more slowly like regular fire.

Yeah, it's weird considering dragon fire melted Harrenhal, but e've seen Drogon torch people before (the slave master of astapol and the warlock), with the same effect we saw this week so I guess thats just how it is

I don't want Jorah to die.

Neither do I.

Everyone always rags on him for being a simp and the never ending friendzone status. But he's easily one of the best characters on the show.

Too bad it's only a matter of time though unless someone can heal him, but I have a feeling that once Dany finds out that he's infected he'll be cast off again. If he infects others then it's over for him right away.

Hell, maybe his plan is to infect someone important so they'll work tirelessly to find a cure so he an get cured as well, lol.

That was Dark Souls as FUCK.

It was pretty accurate cause the dude with the piercing sword was eating Jorah's lunch. Estoc OP pls nerf.

Neither do I.

Everyone always rags on him for being a simp and the never ending friendzone status. But he's easily one of the best characters on the show.

Too bad it's only a matter of time though unless someone can heal him, but I have a feeling that once Dany finds out that he's infected he'll be cast off again. If he infects others then it's over for him right away.

Hell, maybe his plan is to infect someone important so they'll work tirelessly to find a cure so he an get cured as well, lol.

He went beyond simping this season. I used to love the guy but there was a point where I just started thinking he was absolutely pathetic for being so desperate to be back in her service.

sangreal

Neither do I.

well he did take great pleasure in holding dany's hand this week

He went beyond simping this season. I used to love the guy but there was a point where I just started thinking he was absolutely pathetic for being so desperate to be back in her service.

well he did take great pleasure in holding dany's hand this week

LOL

See, this is exactly what I mean!

But you can't deny that you love him as a character, I think he's one of the better ones.

Also, he's gonna try extra hard now because his father is dead and he refuses to die with his fathers name tarnished. You gotta respect that.

neoism

lol Dany gives no fucks left all her homies :p

Also FUUUCK Stanis never liked him ever he is totally lost now..

Ok ep but I figure it wouldnt be as fucking awesome as last week...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This guy is looking better and better for the Iron Throne.

This guy speaks and his message is "The Gods only have power because you dumb fucks keep killing and sacrificing each other and worshipping them like you worship power. I'm here to wipe all your dumb asses out and end the Lord of Light" I'm definitely rooting for him.

people keep saying this -- the leeches were only ever a demonstration for davos, and even at that there is little evidence they did much. The Usurper Balon is still alive, for example -- and the rest hardly died through divine means. Melisandre and Stannis were planning to kill Gendry before Davos released him. Stannis even gave a speech about how sacrificing a kid is worth it

I suppose the best answer though, is simply that this is what the lord of light showed Melisandre and Selyse in their visions and who are they to doubt his requirements? Stannis did ask if leeches would work. Melisandre said no

Oh yeah I know. I was just wailing cuz it was horrible death. Like, WHY DOES CANCER EXIST IN NEWBORNS. WHY. sort of.

Sorry :x

Right, but what Dennis pointed out is why she couldn't have been knocked out. She'd still be alive, just not aware of what was happening.

I don't know how long someone stays unconscious when knocked out, or how easily they can awake. So it might not be possible physically speaking, but it's just an idea.

.... I'd hazarded that most unconscious people would wake up when their skin is on fire. IDK. Either way, it was a horrifying way to go for anyone let alone for lil Shireen.

wauuuuuuuuu

Eos

Just watched the last scene again and it's so bad jeez
like you guys said; the harpies were somehow able to infiltrate the coliseum without being detected and carry their swords in... the unsullied getting owned by these raggedy ass harpies... and then there was this:
My man Jorah showing you how it is done.

bK0yDth.gif

snoop.png

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Agreed. overhyped, low FPS, sluggish character animations, somersault simulator. Checks all the boxes

Jorah sliced up pretty good. Exhausted from fighting. Also dying from dragon scale (or whatever). Other guy showboating believing the victory was easily his against this wounded old man. Wants a glamorous kill to impress Dany. Makes fatal error. Checks all the boxes.

neoism

Just watched the last scene again and it's so bad jeez
like you guys said; the harpies were somehow able to infiltrate the coliseum without being detected and carry their swords in... the unsullied getting owned by these raggedy ass harpies... and then there was this:

snoop.png

lol dat edit about as bad the the throat stab in glaidator......

What bothers me is how blatant they are about telling the viewer what happened as if we aren't smart enough to figure it out. In the previous episode Ramsay tells his father all he needs is 20 good men and he will take care of Stannis. During the previously seen on GoT segment before this week's episode they replay that scene which of course tips off the viewer that something related will occur. Then something related occurs and the camp is torched (food, tents, and horses burnt). We all know Ramsay did this as good audience members but they feel they have to add a scene of Davos telling Stannis what happened. He even mentions that it was 20 men that snuck in. It is like they don't think we could tie all of it together. It also makes it seem dumber because how would they know it was 20 if they snuck out before being caught. I just find it annoying when they do these things yet there are so many events that could use further explanation and are not apparent. /rant

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't tell if it's the actor or what but I swear every time shit hits the fan followed by a narrow escape Daario has this look on his face like everything was going to plan and he has to play along.

Yea. He's shown doubt before. This is what faith is.

Him torching his extended family did him no favors at the Black Water, for example.
Rumor? Have you been watching the show, at all?.... It's ridiculous to call it a rumor all the crazy things we have seen just from Stannis' perspective, let alone other things where someone comes back to life several times because he follows said religion.

I was raging with anger and sadness after the episode, but after calming down and thinking more about it, I don't think he had more than one other choice. Lets take a look at the choices that would fail and the only two that might work:
- He attacks Boltons directly, he dies, his wife dies, his daughter dies.
- He tries to outmaneuver them but can't since he has no food or supplies, he dies, his wife dies, his daughter dies.
- Go to the wall? Jon Snuuu already said they have no food and most would died, at a rapid rate after a few months.

Choices that don't lead to complete death:
- Send wife and child to the wall. Dies along with thousands of men and can't become King that he wants or save Westeros which he also wants. Also prays to Lord of Light that his family does not get killed by WW and then turned into zombies.
- Murder his child, win the war, save thousands of life, be able to take KL and take the WW force seriously and send forces up north later on so hundreds of thousands do not die.

If anyone has a feasible option that doesn't end in nothing other than death, please let me know. I'm all ears. What he did was disgusting and I was literally wincing and had my hand on top of my forehead. Hard to be a Stannis fan at this point, but what do you people think is the right alternative? I want to hear thoughts on what should he have done to ensure his army, his wife, his kid, Davos and he all live?

As for the last episode I want two things:
+ Jon Snu & Tormund live
+ Sansa gets some North Remembers comeuppance

He even mentions that it was 20 men that snuck in.

This I didn't notice but if so, how ridiculous. How would they know how many men? lol

Davos is in on it. Tried to have Stannis killed before he could kill Shireen, backfired and got Shireen sacrificed.

Somebody asked for this a few pages back.

qZ2I9Gz.gif

This is incredible.

Edit: Even the fucking stamina bar goes down when it's supposed to, bloody hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom