• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxter432

I understand it is symbolic and all, but I dunno.

I mean, they just allowed Ramsay and 20 people to go around destroying all their siege weapons, all their food storage, etc. Now they are able to march on Winterfell.

Ok ... is the lord of light going to rebuild the siege weapons too? How do they plan on taking a rebuilt Winterfell with this morally broken " army "? They themselves couldn't win a siege seeing as they have no food. They would starve long before the Boltons would.

And with how difficult it is going to be just to take Winterfell. Good luck with that KL project Stannis. Good luck.

The only thing I can see that makes sense is someone inside Winterfell ( Sansa ) sabotaging the gates of Winterfell and getting them opened so Stannis' army can move in

a bunch of horses died via fire, so they butchered them for food.
preview spoiler:
they showed melting ice and the baratheon army with shields standing behind Stannis, not looking cold at all... maybe they then find more animals/food if necessary, or find an old northern armory, who knows.

Visceir

MELISANDRE: I have seen myself walk along the battlements of Wintefell. I have seen the flayed men banners lowered to the ground.

MELISANDRE: But sometimes sacrifices must be made to ensure victory. I have shown you the power of king's blood. The Usurper Robb Stark. The Usurper Joffrey Baratheon.

MELISANDRE: There is only one way. You must become king before the Long Night begins. Only you can lead the living against the dead. All your life has led us to this moment. To this decision.

This is from episode 7 and I assume this is what the sacrifice gets Stannis

Vagabundo

Brienne of Tarth, don't forget her. She's a wild card.

I expect her to go full on a Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail murder spree at some point.

Loakum

Banned
tumblr_nplxdlm9QK1qc9j6ho1_540.gif

tumblr_nplxdlm9QK1qc9j6ho3_1280.gif

tumblr_nplxdlm9QK1qc9j6ho2_1280.gif

tumblr_nplemo5S821si297wo2_500.gif

55594f841aaec7043ea4c312_theon-rape.gif

Oh and I will use Tyrion's words when it comes to Stannis

" rulers who kill those devoted to them are not worthy of devotion "

Stannis doing what he did to his own daughter will have strong repercussions. Especially when word gets out from others who will desert his army, and then when Davos finds out.

Davos may kill him before Brienne gets a chance to. And yeah I can definitely see a moment happening where Brienne is trying to get Sansa out of Winterfell during or after the siege, sees stannis and has to make a choice between killing stannis or saving Sansa.

We'll see.

Stannis doing what he did to his own daughter will have strong repercussions. Especially when word gets out from others who will desert his army, and then when Davos finds out.

Davos may kill him before Brienne gets a chance to. And yeah I can definitely see a moment happening where Brienne is trying to get Sansa out of Winterfell during or after the siege, sees stannis and has to make a choice between killing stannis or saving Sansa.

We'll see.
Brienne wants to kill Stannis because... renley? Is she actually a vengeful person in her own right? Or just vengeful for other people?

My man Jorah showing you how it is done.

bK0yDth.gif

So poorly done. How did they not reshoot this so it isn't obvious that the spear guy blatantly STOPS what he's doing so he can take a sword to the chest.

This episode was just sloppy. A few scenes looked like something you'd see as a bad GoT knockoff on the WB or some shit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I thought this was horribly choreographed, the Warrior just walks into his sword, he has enough time to dodge, the roll is so slow lol. Jorah isnt Jon Snow, the guy was getting sliced and hit everywhere.

They really need Spartacus guys to help them, or at least put the same effort into scenes as they did ep8 (which was stunning).

Maybe not the best execution, but a forward roll into a thrust is part of the traditional tinbei rochin kata. https://youtu.be/3Ur1_5tdz3o?t=38s

Dennis

Banned
So poorly done. How did they not reshoot this so it isn't obvious that the spear guy blatantly STOPS what he's doing so he can take a sword to the chest.

This episode was just sloppy. A few scenes looked like something you'd see as a bad GoT knockoff on the WB or some shit.

Spear guy was not prepared for Jorah's Dark Souls Roll.

mokeyjoe

I agree that in a close-quarters, chaotic situation the Unsullied may be at a disadvantage. But the Harpies are rich slave-owners. All the fighting in that city is done in the fighting pits. So you've got out-of-shape, poorly-trained dagger wielding upper-class wearing robes against trained, professional, armored soldiers with spears. Judging by Grey Worm's skills when him, Jorah, and Daurio fought against endless waves of soldiers, if most of them are 75% as good as him, they are badass fighters. It's silly. Even more silly is the bravery of the Harpies to just rush cavalierly at the soldiers, or at a dragon. Quiet assassinations were one thing, but brazen attacks by upper-class nobility just doesn't ring true to me. The Harpies just feel like a tacked-on plot device to move the narrative forward.

Most of the best fighters in the show are upper class nobility. Also, while the Harpies are run by the upper class they potentially consist of anyone who wasn't a slave. I mean the Roman army was a paid force, why should the Harpies be any different? I don't think their class is a reason to suspect they can't fight.

Even so, I'm still suspicious of Daario and the Second Sons.

boxter432

Brienne wants to kill Stannis because... renley? Is she actually a vengeful person in her own right? Or just vengeful for other people?

she was sworn to protect Renly, saw the shadow beast that was in Stannis' form kill Renly in front of her...she takes those things...quite seriously.

Camwi

We'll see.

I think Davos has too much affection for Stannis to outright kill him. He might stop following him, though.

I think he goes after the witch.

DarkKyo

I took it as he stopped his lunge because he knew it wouldn't hit and had to change pose to focus on dodging the roll(and had no time to change), but it's true they could have done a better take. For all we know that was the best of 20 takes and the older actor who plays Jorah couldn't realistically roll anymore, lol...

Camwi

Most of the best fighters in the show are upper class nobility. Also, while the Harpies are run by the upper class they potentially consist of anyone who wasn't a slave. I mean the Roman army was a paid force, why should the Harpies be any different? I don't think their class is a reason to suspect they can't fight.

Even so, I'm still suspicious of Daario and the Second Sons.

True, and they're trained to fight with weapons that might stand a chance against a trained-for-life warrior with a spear and shield. Nobody with a dagger should have much of a chance against an Unsullied.

Well, other than the fookin' legend himself, of course.

this_guy

So I was thinking, since the actual throne in King's Landing is made of swords, what are the chances that there's Valyrian steel in those swords? If they have to melt that down to make more weapons it would be pretty neat.

mokeyjoe

True, and they're trained to fight with weapons that might stand a chance against a trained-for-life warrior with a spear and shield. Nobody with a dagger should have much of a chance against an Unsullied.

Well, other than the fookin' legend himself, of course.

Dunno. Tanner gave Jon Snow a pretty good fight without the benefit of surprise or numbers.

BSsBrolly

Banned
So I was thinking, since the actual throne in King's Landing is made of swords, what are the chances that there's Valyrian steel in those swords? If they have to melt that down to make more weapons it would be pretty neat.

Didn't they mention the throne was made/melted with dragon fire at some point? I swear they did...

Venture

That's an interesting thought. Given how highly valued Valyrian steel is I'm not it would've been used for the throne though.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I hate the Sand Snakes.

Tyene is freaking gorgeous. But the Sand Snakes are terrible. Oberyn fought and died through his own decisions. The Lannisters aren't responsible for that. I am so over this shit and hope they don't return.

kingkitty

That Dorne shit was hilarious.

Sand Snakes only did one fight and they got caught.

And then they spent the rest of the season in jail.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I don't know it looks like he is expecting to stab forward and then changes to try and stab downwards as Jorah rolls in. It wasn't exceptional choreography, but I think it works given an older actor is doing the roll himself.

Gonzalez

Banned
So I'm watching A Dance of Dragons, and I just got to the part where Stannis burns his daughter alive. Ummmmm... Where is the angry online mob? They were here for the rape, but not the child burning?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I don't know what it is, but even with burning his own daughter, I would still rather see Stannis crush Ramsay than the other way around. He is a cunt, but I hate the Boltons.

Skii

This was a great episode for Stannis and proved he's the true heir to the throne.

Stannis happily burned his own daughter alive to gain the power needed to take over the North from the Boltons whilst Danaerys is fucking about in the middle of nowhere with a CGI dragon. #TeamStannis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom