• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1aWSlst.jpg

Stahp plz! :(

By the way, I think what's-his-name saw Arya hide the Needle, and will refuse to help her until she finally throws it away for good. I imagine he sees everything; constantly observing her with different faces.

EDIT: Left the image in the quote in for new page.

People who are thinking the show is slow should ask Book readers who think the feast of crows was a book where just nothing happend, that's at least what I've heard.

Vashetti

Banned
Has Sophie's acting been discussed when she rebukes Baelish initially about allying with the people who killed her family?

Really, really great.

MikeyB

People who are thinking the show is slow should ask Book readers who think the feast of crows was a book where just nothing happend, that's at least what I've heard.
I stopped reading at book four. Typical successful fantasy series bloat. Once he saw a payday, the number of storylines grew ridiculously. Same thing happened with the Wheel of Time. Both were set up for a really good tight three book trilogy or a more sweeping five book series but became ponderous tomes filled with characters that all but die-hards struggle to give a shit about.

The TV show largely avoided that pacing until the first two episodes of this season.

You know the main thing annoying me at this point about this show?

That f'in line

" Winter is Coming "

bitch please. We've heard that since episode 1 of season 1. Kings Landing is still sunshine and roses. Not a hint of a hard winter to come. You had Wildlings running for their lives to the south " as far south as south goes " to get away from what is coming in Season 1. Yet here we are .....

Wait ... how much time has actually transpired in this show anyway? Anyone have any ideas? months? years? a decade?

Anyway, getting tired of hearing about the Winter that Will Never Come.

Crispy75

Wait ... how much time has actually transpired in this show anyway? Anyone have any ideas? months? years? a decade?

It's pretty much one year per season.

Having watched all 4 seasons in prep for this one, I reckon the North is looking a good deal more snowy that it did in S1. Stuff that Jonn and Stannis have been saying at the wall indicate that the real winter really is going to really come for real pretty damn soon.

iNvid02

• sparrow seems like a nice guy, too nice for this world actually, so waiting to see what cards he plays
  • good to know the mountain is still kicking ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), when he kills again out of nowhere it won't be as shocking hopefully.
  • jorah you creep no amount of gifts will get you out of the friendzone, you cant just steal tyrion lol
  • gotta love Davos, he's not learned but might just have convinced Jon that he doesn't have to sit on the wall all day while still honouring his vows.
    That uneasy feeling about his honor eventually getting him killed is always present though.

fucking littlefinger man, went from wanting to punch him to shaking his hand in a matter of seconds, he always manages to bring me around eventually.
Had grouped Sansa alongside Rickon in them being able to do fuck all to avenge their family, but this could be promising.

"welcome home lady stark.The north remembers" fuck yeah. some great moments in this episode, really reignited the fire i have to see them avenge their family.
knowing GRRM though they'll all be wiped out by the next episode, but its so hard not get attached and invested in their struggles for justice and revenge - arya's scene with needle just captured it perfectlyl ;_:

Nameless

Stephen Dillane and Kit Harrington have awesome chemistry together. I've really enjoyed all the exchanges between Stannis and Jon going back to the finale last season.

The North/The Wall is the best thing going right now. Stannis' forces/Wildlings/Nights Watch battling The Boltons and Knights of the Vale in an epic showdown for Winterfell would be incredible.

Vashetti

Banned
It's pretty much one year per season.

Having watched all 4 seasons in prep for this one, I reckon the North is looking a good deal more snowy that it did in S1. Stuff that Jonn and Stannis have been saying at the wall indicate that the real winter really is going to really come for real pretty damn soon.

Nope.

Sansa was 13 in S1, she mentions to Tyrion she's 14 on their wedding night in S3. However S4 was only days/weeks at most after S3 because it's the second half of book 3 (no more to be said on that).

I'd say it's been 2-3 years since the start of S1 at most.

You know the main thing annoying me at this point about this show?

That f'in line

" Winter is Coming "

bitch please. We've heard that since episode 1 of season 1. Kings Landing is still sunshine and roses. Not a hint of a hard winter to come. You had Wildlings running for their lives to the south " as far south as south goes " to get away from what is coming in Season 1. Yet here we are .....

It's all relative. In season 1, it is stated how many years ago the last winter was, and they said summer had been unusually long, and that as such the winter would be extraordinarily long as well. It's the words of the Stark as well, so I mean yeah, probably will hear it a bunch. Never bothered me, personally.

But yeah, I don't know what happened to the army of white walkers. That's pretty strange.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Holy shit I noticed it for the first time that in the opening credits, the name of the actors bear the sigil of the house to which they belong. For example, Kit harrington has a direwolf in front of his name (so do Sophie turner and Massie williams).
Nice touch.

Griss

I totally understand complaints about the show having become 'too slow', even though it's not that it's 'too slow' insomuch as it is 'too directionless' at the moment. But I think that that's what people mean when they say 'too slow'.

Season 1 had a clear narrative: The mystery of the death of the Hand, and the Starks journey to King's Landing and how they would fare. Would Ned succeed at overthrowing the incestuous Lannisters? That was the question. Most scenes moved this story on. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's.

Season 2 had a clear narrative: The fallout from Ned and Robert's deaths and the impending War of 5 Kings. That was something we knew would happen and almost every scene built towards it. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's. The wall stuff is now a bit isolated but we can still see how it would affect the realm.

Season 3 had a clear narrative: After Renly's death and Stannis's defeat, the Lannisters start to turn the tide against Robb. (And Robb's war still has a clear narrative thread through to season 1, as he continues his father's quest as it were.) The Tyrells are introduced as a rival to the Lannisters to keep things moving. Things are building up to a final battle or confrontation between the Lannisters and Starks, one that would shock people when it was subverted.

Season 4 is where thing started to get split up a lot: With Robb defeated, many characters were scattered to the wind and the idea of some central unifying plot that you could attach to was largely lost. The writers were very successful with introducing Oberyn and making his story one of the central ones of the season, with a full conclusion to his character's arc. Also, we are looking foward to a huge battle on the wall from the start of the season. Between Oberyn and the Wall, there are at least two 'big' storylines to follow.

As for Season 5, what is the focus of this show at the moment? The truth is that there isn't one. We're following these characters because we still care about them, but there doesn't seem to be anything of any major, world-affecting importance about to happen, and the characters are all wildly separated and disparate. The fate of Arya Stark, for example, has absolutely no bearing on Westeros at this moment in time, and yet the show is devoting her considerable minutes.

Most seasons you could say 'I can't wait until "x" happens', but in this season it feels like a full reset of the board.

I have no problem with watching character based episodes but the purpose of the narrative appears to have been lost for the moment. I have no idea where they're going with it right now.

Guys could you stop liking Jon Snow so much? I don't want him to die this season kthankxbye.

I was thinking this morning about Melisandre and the God she worship. What happened to that invincible guy that could light his sword in fire?

Why would this God, give such insignificant character (in regards of plot) that tremendous power? Why not give it to Stannis?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hands down the best episode of the season so far. I hope Sansa flips the script, and her and Theon wreck Ramsey's shit. Finally a scene at the wall that has made me sit up and start grinning. Absolutely love Jon as a commander. Oh and, I couldn't help but notice similarities between Cersei courting the fanatics, and what former Pakistani President Ziad ul-Haq did to his country. You can't flirt with nutjobs.

I just wanted to say that this is a good post.

Guys could you stop liking Jon Snow so much? I don't want him to die this season kthankxbye.

I was thinking this morning about Melisandre and the God she worship. What happened to that invincible guy that could light his sword in fire?

Why would this God, give such insignificant character (in regards of plot) that tremendous power? Why not give it to Stannis?

Well, we don't know too much of Thoros past. He's a red priest to the lord of light, and there could be many reasons why he has those abilities. I definitely do hope he shows up again though.

Revolver

Sansa just has the worst luck. Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. I can't wait to see how things play out with her and Ramsey though. Hoping Varys is able to intervene and talk some sense into Jorah before he fucks up again. Getting a bad feeling about Brienne's future right now. When she was telling her story to Pod I couldn't help but flashback to that scene with Oberyn and Tyrion from last season and think something terrible is going to happen to her.

I totally understand complaints about the show having become 'too slow', even though it's not that it's 'too slow' insomuch as it is 'too directionless' at the moment. But I think that that's what people mean when they say 'too slow'.

Season 1 had a clear narrative: The mystery of the death of the Hand, and the Starks journey to King's Landing and how they would fare. Would Ned succeed at overthrowing the incestuous Lannisters? That was the question. Most scenes moved this story on. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's.

Season 2 had a clear narrative: The fallout from Ned and Robert's deaths and the impending War of 5 Kings. That was something we knew would happen and almost every scene built towards it. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's. The wall stuff is now a bit isolated but we can still see how it would affect the realm.

Season 3 had a clear narrative: After Renly's death and Stannis's defeat, the Lannisters start to turn the tide against Robb. (And Robb's war still has a clear narrative thread through to season 1, as he continues his father's quest as it were.) The Tyrells are introduced as a rival to the Lannisters to keep things moving. Things are building up to a final battle or confrontation between the Lannisters and Starks, one that would shock people when it was subverted.

Season 4 is where thing started to get split up a lot: With Robb defeated, many characters were scattered to the wind and the idea of some central unifying plot that you could attach to was largely lost. The writers were very successful with introducing Oberyn and making his story one of the central ones of the season, with a full conclusion to his character's arc. Also, we are looking foward to a huge battle on the wall from the start of the season. Between Oberyn and the Wall, there are at least two 'big' storylines to follow.

As for Season 5, what is the focus of this show at the moment? The truth is that there isn't one. We're following these characters because we still care about them, but there doesn't seem to be anything of any major, world-affecting importance about to happen, and the characters are all wildly separated and disparate. The fate of Arya Stark, for example, has absolutely no bearing on Westeros at this moment in time, and yet the show is devoting her considerable minutes.

Most seasons you could say 'I can't wait until "x" happens', but in this season it feels like a full reset of the board.

I have no problem with watching character based episodes but the purpose of the narrative appears to have been lost for the moment. I have no idea where they're going with it right now.

I'd say as far as I can tell this season's narrative is

1.) solidifying Jon Snow as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, and whatever that may bring

2.) Arya receiving her assassins training

3.) Stannis Baratheon's war in the North and what will eventually become his war against the South. Something tells me stuff will happen to where he is joined by most of the North, perhaps even the " Free Men " as Jon describes them ( wildlings ). No doubt Jon is not going to send the Wildlings back north or treat them as enemies any longer. Will likely try and use them either in his own fight against the Walkers or will send them to fight for Winterfell.

4.) The Boltons bide for some form of power, which will be short ( hopefully ). Hopefully they have real fast horses and Ramsay doesn't have a chance to get his twisted thoughts onto Sansa. Sansa has been beaten broken and battered throughout this entire show. The only rest coming when she was with Littlefinger in the Vale. And even then had the Queen of the Vale accusing her of stuff. So yeah, I have a bad feeling about the next few episodes if they actually are wed ( even if they are not and Ramsay just gets bored one night )

So really, you could say this season is about the War in the North. As well as the cleansing of Kings Landing? Kings Landing may actually calm down and get a sense of being somewhat normal if the new king and queen are able to do their thing. No doubt Maergery is working to get Cersei gone from Kings Landing, which is not a bad thing at all. Cersei needs to get lost from this entire story, she has lost all purpose or point or power. Will be fun watching her scrape and claw for every last ounce of power she can muster though.

So you have the war in the north, things calming down a bit in Kings Landing and then Dany practicing at ruling on the other end of the world.

It's all relative. In season 1, it is stated how many years ago the last winter was, and they said summer had been unusually long, and that as such the winter would be extraordinarily long as well. It's the words of the Stark as well, so I mean yeah, probably will hear it a bunch. Never bothered me, personally.

But yeah, I don't know what happened to the army of white walkers. That's pretty strange.

Yeah, but " Winter is Coming " is one of the first things you heard on this show. And well, the very first thing you see in this show is the White Walkers. So the 5 years of constant reminder of a winter that STILL hasn't really hit yet, is a bit annoying at this point.

And last season we even got a glimpse of some Lich Lord from Ultima being a cuddle buddy to some very blue eyed baby. I mean ... WTF was that all about?

Sansa just has the worst luck. Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. I can't wait to see how things play out with her and Ramsey though. Hoping Varys is able to intervene and talk some sense into Jorah before he fucks up again. Getting a bad feeling about Brienne's future right now. When she was telling her story to Pod I couldn't help but flashback to that scene with Oberyn and Tyrion from last season and think something terrible is going to happen to her.

I'm getting a sense that the Bolton stuff is coming to a head this season. Between Reek's apparent attempts at holding onto the last bit of humanity he has left, Dark Sansa returning to her home land with her people behind her along with a newfound sense of being a player in the game instead of being played, Stannis wanting to march south to clear the area out, and Roose admitting that they're not as strong as they need to be, there might actually be a good ending coming to those fuckers.

If the season ended next episode and it was only 5 minutes long and it was Ramsey getting wrecked over and over again i would consider this season a huge success.

I wonder where the Lord of the light fits into the story. Melisandre is obviously a villain (also if she follow the steps of dannerys and margary and don't show her boobs anymore we riot!!) with her eery music and misterious intentions.

Stannis is a good guy, well like most characters he is that Grey area, but I know when makes you promise to bend the knee that he will make true of that promise. Just imagine, his army along with Jon Stark and wildlings taking back Winterfell!!! It would be amazing. But overall the Zombie invasion is more crucial than pretty Games of Thrones.

No point in quoting the images since everyone's already seen them several times.

But I feel like this is the first time that Arya has really mourned, even if only for a tiny bit, she's always been busy or always finding a way to keep her chin up, to me that's what made it a really sad scene.

Ovid

Stephen Dillane and Kit Harrington have awesome chemistry together. I've really enjoyed all the exchanges between Stannis and Jon going back to the finale last season.

The North/The Wall is the best thing going right now. Stannis' forces/Wildlings/Nights Watch battling The Boltons and Knights of the Vale in an epic showdown for Winterfell would be incredible.
Do you really think Jon can rally the Wildlings like Mance?

They hate him.

Griss

I'd say as far as I can tell this season's narrative is

1.) solidifying Jon Snow as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, and whatever that may bring

2.) Arya receiving her assassins training

3.) Stannis Baratheon's war in the North and what will eventually become his war against the South. Something tells me stuff will happen to where he is joined by most of the North, perhaps even the " Free Men " as Jon describes them ( wildlings ). No doubt Jon is not going to send the Wildlings back north or treat them as enemies any longer. Will likely try and use them either in his own fight against the Walkers or will send them to fight for Winterfell.

4.) The Boltons bide for some form of power, which will be short ( hopefully ). Hopefully they have real fast horses and Ramsay doesn't have a chance to get his twisted thoughts onto Sansa. Sansa has been beaten broken and battered throughout this entire show. The only rest coming when she was with Littlefinger in the Vale. And even then had the Queen of the Vale accusing her of stuff. So yeah, I have a bad feeling about the next few episodes if they actually are wed ( even if they are not and Ramsay just gets bored one night )

So really, you could say this season is about the War in the North. As well as the cleansing of Kings Landing? Kings Landing may actually calm down and get a sense of being somewhat normal if the new king and queen are able to do their thing. No doubt Maergery is working to get Cersei gone from Kings Landing, which is not a bad thing at all. Cersei needs to get lost from this entire story, she has lost all purpose or point or power. Will be fun watching her scrape and claw for every last ounce of power she can muster though.

So you have the war in the north, things calming down a bit in Kings Landing and then Dany practicing at ruling on the other end of the world.

This was a decent effort, but reading it makes it strikingly clear how directionless the narrative currently is.

Probably not, but he might be able to convince Tormund to lead them. What choice do they have? Stay North of the Wall and become White Walker minions?

If they are as poor at decision making as their king, they may choose precisely that.

Revolver

I'm getting a sense that the Bolton stuff is coming to a head this season. Between Reek's apparent attempts at holding onto the last bit of humanity he has left, Dark Sansa returning to her home land with her people behind her along with a newfound sense of being a player in the game instead of being played, Stannis wanting to march south to clear the area out, and Roose admitting that they're not as strong as they need to be, there might actually be a good ending coming to those fuckers.

If the season ended next episode and it was only 5 minutes long and it was Ramsey getting wrecked over and over again i would consider this season a huge success.

Ramsey getting wrecked would be as cathartic to me as Joffrey's ending. I think Theon/Reek will play a role in his downfall. I just have an uneasy feeling though that it won't happen before he does something terrible to Brienne. I hope she's able to tell Sansa that Arya's still alive.

All the pieces seem to be at least moving forward this season apart from Dany. Her story should get much more interesting though when Tyrion, Varys and Jorah arrive on the scene. I guess we're not getting anything new about Bran this season but I'd like to see what's going on with him and his crew. Also the White Walker army that was supposed to be marching on the Wall seems to have just gone home.

This was a decent effort, but reading it makes it strikingly clear how directionless the narrative currently is.

If they are as poor at decision making as their king, they may choose precisely that.

Yeah its basically just the moving around of pieces atm. So narrative wise, harder to get a handle on it when its just developing storylines. You can get the sense of what is meant to occur though.

Stannis owning the North. Jon Snow leading the Nights Watch. Arya getting her training. Brienne on a collision course with Stannis. Cersei losing power in Kings Landing and perhaps being sent away. Tyrion / Vaery's heading for Dany, perhaps to tell her the exact shape of Westeros and to pursued her to move on Westeros sooner rather then later.

The main unknowns is what is Braavos and its power going to mean in the future, and just what is up with Brandon stark at this point?

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah its basically just the moving around of pieces atm. So narrative wise, harder to get a handle on it when its just developing storylines. You can get the sense of what is meant to occur though.

Stannis owning the North. Jon Snow leading the Nights Watch. Arya getting her training. Brienne on a collision course with Stannis. Cersei losing power in Kings Landing and perhaps being sent away. Tyrion / Vaery's heading for Dany, perhaps to tell her the exact shape of Westeros and to pursued her to move on Westeros sooner rather then later.

The main unknowns is what is Braavos and its power going to mean in the future, and just what is up with Brandon stark at this point?

Please wait for S6.

I can't be the only one who thinks the Faceless Men are blatantly evil, right? We've just assumed that they're okay because our view of them was framed by their introduction - helping Arya, one of our favourite underdog characters.

But these are people who kill upon being asked without any reason, who view death as a gift, who essentially kill themselves by destroying their own persona and history, and who use a seriously creepy face-shifting thing that it looks like they steal from corpses.

I'm sad that Arya has ended up like this. I forsee her being asked to kill a member of her family before it's all done, briefly considering it, then going to find needle at the last second - the last reminder of who she is. Or maybe just killing her family, knowing GoT.

I don't know blatantly evil. But I think others have said as much in earlier seasons, but what the heck was Jaqen doing in Westeros in King's Landing Dungeon? He clearly can't be held if he didn't want to be correct? So, he must have had some "mission" in being there.

A little flashback for what he actually did would be incredible if it somehow affected the Starks...

The more time I spend in this thread, the more I realize how flawed the story is and how there are plot holes and missing context literally everywhere.

I should stay out of this thread, lol. Ignorance is a bliss.

Nah, I'm still here.

mm04

Ramsey getting wrecked would be as cathartic to me as Joffrey's ending. I think Theon/Reek will play a role in his downfall.

Yeah, I'm waiting for this. Also, the Freys have a comeuppance headed their way eventually too. Otherwise that scene with Bran reciting the story about not betraying your guests and pissing off the gods wouldn't have happened. So far, only the Lannisters have gotten the whammy. The Boltons and Freys have it coming.

Just a random thought margery gonna get rid of cersi, and sansa will be the new cersi of the north.

Hopefully when tyrion finally meets danerys shit will finally go down.

BTM

I liked how the execution of Janos in a way was Jon getting vengeance for the death of his father Ned. Janos was the head the the gold cloaks when they turned on Ned and murdered all of his men after the death of King Robert.

I liked how the execution of Janos in a way was Jon getting vengeance for the death of his father Ned. Janos was the head the the gold cloaks when they turned on Ned and murdered all of his men after the death of King Robert.

HOLY SHIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT HE WAS THERE.

Ghost23

Unpopular opinion: Maisie Williams is not a good actress. The scene with Arya and her sword was some of the worst acting/directing on the show.

Vashetti

Banned
Unpopular opinion: Maisie Williams is not a good actress. The scene with Arya and her sword was some of the worst acting/directing on the show.

She's no where near the best actress on the show, and I think overall Sophie Turner is much better. But that scene really got to me, very affecting.

When was the last time they showed anything regarding the Iron Islands? I don't remember them showing much of anything last season and they kinda left that whole thing without any resolution, right?

Someone refresh my memory please. The last thing i remember is Theon's sis trying to find him but that didn't really pan out.

Vashetti

Banned
When was the last time they showed anything regarding the Iron Islands? I don't remember them showing much of anything last season and they kinda left that whole thing without any resolution, right?

Someone refresh my memory please. The last thing i remember is Theon's sis trying to find him but that didn't really pan out.

The last we saw of Balon Greyjoy (Theon's father) and the Iron Islands was the season finale of S3.

In (about mid-season) S4 we had a scene of Yara (Theon's sister) attempting to rescue him, but it was fruitless and she fled with what was left of her men, nothing since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom