• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
She doesn't owe him sexy times, but she does owe him most of her victories. He guided her in her initial campaigns, captured Yunkai, and saved her from an assassination attempt in Qarth. He helped her a lot with the Dothraki diplomacy at the start as well. Besides, he showed his loyalty despite initially starting as a spy for Varys. He is a pretty great swordsman and commander on top of all. So yeah, she owes him a lot. I just don't find that he can be called creepy at all.

I don't find him creepy. Obviously, he loves her. But he keeps it in check. He doesn't sulk with jealousy or let it interfere with his advice. He has clearly put the endgame ahead of his own desire. He's helped her succeed as best he can (and has proven her best council again and again). He is always honest with her, and very forward, but not too forward. He lets her make her own decisions.

Jorah stood back and allowed her to walk into the fires and more than likely burn to death...

How many neckbeards would have stood silently for that? And the biggest difference between Jorah and your average internet crown of sonnets dork is that, while they pretend every pretty girl they meet is a special magical snowflake princess... Danny actually IS magic princess.

So he has some credibility here, in the way he acts towards her. He actually is honorable. It's not fake.

Jorah has been stand up from the moment he believed she was meant to rule. Yeah, he loves her, but he doesn't drag that shit up all the time. It's just there.

And it's not creepy imo.

Venture

Completely forgot about that.

What's the deal there? Why did this mysterious merchant have dragon eggs to give? Are there supposed to be other dragon eggs in the world?
The dragon eggs were regarded as just some very rare and valuable collector's item. Nobody expected they could still hatch. No idea if there are any more eggs. That's a good question.

I can never remember that guy's name. After some careful googling:
Illyrio is a merchant-prince and a Magister of the Free City of Pentos, located across the Narrow Sea to the east of Westeros. Immensely rich and powerful, Illyrio is an ally and benefactor to Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen.

The problem with Danerys part of the show is that she is an interesting character but I couldn't give two shits about anyone else in that side of the world.

I however believed that if she right now goes to Westeros, she could certainly defeat any other army.

Herne

Everyone wondering about what Olenna's inaction has to remember that she buggered off to Highgarden. I'm sure she'll be back or at least up to no good where the Lannisters are concerned.

I've lost track of what weird named factions are fighting who in whatever weird named city in Dany's storyline. Also they killed off Grey Worm and Selmy in a pretty crappy way, that fight was so bad and hamfisted. Also wtf at the Unsullied completely breaking formation, 300 that shit

Really liked Jamie's accidental way of stopping a sword stabbing though, that was neat.

someday

Banned
Take into advisement that Dave is not a taste everyone agrees with. Including me. He comes of as unbelievably dense sometimes. Like spending ten minutes complaining about something that the show has already explicitly explained. Joanna is great, but I just couldn't deal after a while.

Yeah, I already gave up on him and moved on to Game of Owns.
Haha, sorry about that. It's the only one I listen to without spoilers. I can see what you mean about Dave though. I guess I mostly like Joanna.

She doesn't owe him sexy times, but she does owe him most of her victories. He guided her in her initial campaigns, captured Yunkai, and saved her from an assassination attempt in Qarth. He helped her a lot with the Dothraki diplomacy at the start as well. Besides, he showed his loyalty despite initially starting as a spy for Varys. He is a pretty great swordsman and commander on top of all. So yeah, she owes him a lot. I just don't find that he can be called creepy at all.

The only reason for the the poison attempt was because he was a spy, and the only reason he stopped her from getting poisoned was because he luckily got the letter of his discharge moments before it happened.

Other than that, yeah I agree. He did far more for her than anyone else and is the only reason she's where she's at right now. Those dragons wouldn't have made a difference if Jorah wasn't there from the get go helping her, she would have been dead without him before they ever grew. Hell, if it wasn't for Jorah her brother might have made off with the eggs before anything.

sangreal

Yeah, it was the beardy merchant guy from Pentos that gave her the eggs.

btw, that guy (Illyrio) is the same one that was hosting Tyrion and Varys after they landed. Same place too -- Pentos

(I'm rewatching season 1)

Speaking of, they should have kept the labels:

YNwFBwY.png

Venture

btw, that guy (Illyrio) is the same one that was hosting Tyrion and Varys after they landed. Same place too -- Pentos

(I'm rewatching season 1)

Speaking of, they should have kept the labels:

YNwFBwY.png
He hasn't been seen since season one, right? It would've been nice to have had him meet with Varys and Tyrion. I guess it was too small a part to justify bringing him back in.

Vashetti

Banned
He hasn't been seen since season one, right? It would've been nice to have had him meet with Varys and Tyrion. I guess it was too small a part to justify bringing him back in.

I read they wanted him back, but the actor had stage commitments and just couldn't do it. So they had to write around it, we were meant to see him.

Limit

I don't find him creepy. Obviously, he loves her. But he keeps it in check. He doesn't sulk with jealousy or let it interfere with his advice. He has clearly put the endgame ahead of his own desire. He's helped her succeed as best he can (and has proven her best council again and again). He is always honest with her, and very forward, but not too forward. He lets her make her own decisions.

Jorah stood back and allowed her to walk into the fires and more than likely burn to death...

How many neckbeards would have stood silently for that? And the biggest difference between Jorah and your average internet crown of sonnets dork is that, while they pretend every pretty girl they meet is a special magical snowflake princess... Danny actually IS magic princess.

So he has some credibility here, in the way he acts towards her. He actually is honorable. It's not fake.

Jorah has been stand up from the moment he believed she was meant to rule. Yeah, he loves her, but he doesn't drag that shit up all the time. It's just there.

And it's not creepy imo.

Jorah is white knighting personified. When you love someone but the other person doesn't reciprocate the feelings it's not love. She obviously wants him around as a guardian and he has been like a fatherly figure to her at times but over the course of the series he has made it increasingly creepy by lusting for her. Dude, she's a teen. She wants to be with hot young guys. You are too old to be her type any more. Get over it. I don't remember how old Dany is supposed to be in the show but he is basically a pedophile.

Nameless

He looked like he could barely lift his sword. But there has to be a reason the Harpy guys are tough.

Many have theorized that these Harpies are men from the fighting pits, which makes sense given they clearly knew how to fight, and the way the show cut between the Harpies getting ready for battle and Hizdahr pleading with Daeny to reopen the games(it was also the day they traditionally begin).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jorah is white knighting personified. When you love someone but the other person doesn't reciprocate the feelings it's not love. She obviously wants him around as a guardian and he has been like a fatherly figure to her at times but over the course of the series he has made it increasingly creepy by lusting for her. Dude, she's a teen. She wants to be with hot young guys. You are too old to be her type any more. Get over it. I don't remember how old Dany is supposed to be in the show but he is basically a pedophile.

Pretty much all this.

Full interview with one of the Sand Snakes, Obara Sand. She's the one that uses the spear, the only one that piqued my interest. She seemed like the only one nailing his accent as well. Last question of the interview might be seen as spoilery so be warned.
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/keisha-castle-hughes-obara-sand-snake
HBO: Did you do anything special to celebrate when you got the part?

Keisha Castle-Hughes: I had this very bizarre experience where I found out that I was going to be playing Obara Sand in the same week that HBO aired the episode of Oberyn's death. Over a month of auditioning, I had invested so much of my energy and time exploring who Obara was and what Oberyn meant to her, so I had a very emotional reaction to his death. At that point in my head, I was his daughter. I was crying. I screamed like Ellaria screamed. I was like, "It's so not fair!" I was staying with a friend in Los Angeles and she was like, "Are you OK? I know that you like Game of Thrones, but this is ridiculous." She thought I had lost my mind. But as soon as I signed on to the show, I was sworn to secrecy. I couldn't tell her anything.
I knew I liked her the best out of the three for a reason. Now watch her die because GRIMM gonna GRIMM.

HBO: How did Pedro's performance inform yours?

Keisha Castle-Hughes: I think I can speak for all of us three who are playing Sand Snakes: We are all so grateful to him for the work that he did. As an actor, he set up so much of our world. He was only on the show for eight episodes, and he made such an impact. It's incredible. So much of my performance, especially, was based on him. It was really important that the movement was similar, because Obara is the most like Oberyn. She's trained her entire life with him to use the spear like he does.
Oberyn the GOAT leading even in death.

HBO: Did you ever meet Pedro?

Keisha Castle-Hughes: I talk about him like he's my best friend, but I still haven't. Over the course of shooting, through [series creators] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] and Indria [Varma, who plays Ellaria Sand], we sent him lots of "Hi Daddy. We miss you!" selfies.
2424425-6555272247-hyde-.gif

Also, isn't there the one girl that is supposed to be named after Oberyn's dead sister? Is she really not going to appear? That's BS if true. I was pretty disappointed that they intend to kill the girl when their father was totally against it, that was pretty much the one reason that they didn't jive all that well with me. Maybe she will appear and stop them? I don't know, I will be pretty disappointed if they end up killing her, however. :(

Also lol to the person above that doesn't know what love means. It's doesn't make someone's love for another any less if the other doesn't love them back. That's not how it works.

Many have theorized that these Harpies are men from the fighting pits, which makes sense given they clearly knew how to fight, and the way the show cut between the Harpies getting ready for battle and Hizdahr pleading with Daeny to reopen the games(it was also the day they traditionally begin).

If Daneyris was worth a damn and that's the case. She would make them fight in the pit, against her Dragons!! not so tough now bitches!!... but Daneyris suck and their friendly dragons are locked away, while her most powerful one (I guess) is probably eating children as we speak.

sangreal

BTW, I love that Jon unknowingly got some payback for Ned on that beheading. Sneaky Slynt turns the castle guard on Ned and Jon takes his head later. Sweet jostice, as they say in the north.

And he did it himself (unlike Joffrey and Dany) with a clean cut (unlike Theon). King of the North

televator

Janos is also the gutter turd who executed Robert's bastards, young boys and babies included, on orders from Joffrey. So it's even more poetic that he himself was executed by a bastard.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that! It's so good. *Banderas.gif* Truly, the old goods have a sense of humor.

sangreal

Re-watching Season 2 now and just got to the scene where Renly dies... It dawned on me that Stannis and Brienne could cross paths soon since they're both headed in Sansa's direction

Re-watching Season 2 now and just got to the scene where Renly dies... It dawned on me that Stannis and Brienne could cross paths soon since they're both headed in Sansa's direction

If Brienne kills Stannis I will be unhappy. She already killed The Hound, she better not kill another awesome character. How could she actually meet Stannis though? Stannis has an entire army and I doubt she could even get near him.

sangreal

If Brienne kills Stannis I will be unhappy. She already killed The Hound, she better not kill another awesome character. How could she actually meet Stannis though? Stannis has an entire army and I doubt she could even get near him.

Yeah, I don't know -- it was just a tought since they reminded us recently that it was stannis' face on the shadow assassin and she was following Sansa. I could see Brienne killing him for Renly -- especially since Littlefinger just mocked her for not protecting him. I actually (as I type this) just got to the part in the next episode where Brienne makes Catelyn promise that she won't stop Brienne from killing Stannis before swearing loyalty

Another (unrelated) thing that I just noticed is that Jaqen follows the red god. I thought their god was Death (per Syrio)

I however believed that if she right now goes to Westeros, she could certainly defeat any other army.

She can probably take the throne but her army isn't equipped to fight in the north. Who would be her ally?
By the time she gets to westeros winter will finally come lol

sangreal

The problem with Danerys part of the show is that she is an interesting character but I couldn't give two shits about anyone else in that side of the world.

not with that sad army. I can't remember how many people she teamed up with, but there were only like 8000 incapable unsullied IIRC. In comparison, Stannis marched on Kings Landing with 100k men and lost-- then wrecked 100k Wildlings. The Lannisters had 60k when Robb went to war with them. The Dothraki had 40k.. Robb marched with 20k. Castle Black has 50

not with that sad army. I can't remember how many people she teamed up with, but there were only like 8000 incapable unsullied IIRC. In comparison, Stannis marched on Kings Landing with 100k men and lost-- then wrecked 100k Wildlings. The Lannisters had 60k when Robb went to war with them. The Dothraki had 40k.. Robb marched with 20k. Castle Black has 50

One fully grown dragon is worth probably 10,000 soldiers plus countless seige weapons I'm sure.

And she .... Had? 3 that look like they will become fully grown and quite large.

Brienne needs to fuck off.

Nah she is Atleast a good person who has the Starks in her best interest. Her hatred for Stannis may be misplaced NOW but it's understandable her position toward him as she was the only person present to watch a shadow assassin come in and kill Renly.

This show has been interesting as it has allowed enough time to lapse between people's horrible acts to get a glimpse on what some are willing to forgive if the end game is a good one. Or even if it seems to be. Stannis has been burning people alive simply for not saying they believe in this new one true god. He has committed adultery which ended up creating a shadow baby that murdered his brother.

But he was nice to his daughter and seems better then anyone else who has sit on the throne so far so people are willing to forgive all that just to get some semblance of an actual King in Kings Landing.

Lol.
This situation represents a pretty good uncertainty for the viewers. They like Brienne and want to see her succeed but in some ways, they also want to see Stannis succeed as well.

Stuff like this is cool to see.

Viewers want to see Stannis succeed? I think he's a little... to tempted to kill his daughter and do crazy shit with the red temptress. I don't trust Littlefinger and him being on Stannis' side makes sense.

I'm pro Tyrion, Jon, and Daenerys as leaders and being successful. I think Jon would support Danerys over Stannis as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom