• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Woo-Fu

Banned
Whats the point of the Three Eyed Raven, why did the NK even care about him?

Find out next episode never.

That was already covered. The NK's sole purpose was the eradication of (the First Men)mankind. You can't do that without also removing something that remembers and can revisit everything mankind ever did. Furthermore, he's also the only human(sorta) living that knows the origin of the NK which makes him the largest threat.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
That was already covered. The NK's sole purpose was the eradication of (the First Men)mankind. You can't do that without also removing something that remembers and can revisit everything mankind ever did.

Ahh...why? Why would the NK care if Bran knew what wheelchair some idiot used 1000 years ago? What does it matter?

O-N-E

I thought we'd reached the lowest point with GoT tonight, but Abby put a pickaxe to the bedrock of awful.

sf3Pus2.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ahh...why? Why would the NK care if Bran knew what wheelchair some idiot used 1000 years ago? What does it matter?
You're trying to assign human emotions to something that isn't human. The NK was a magical construct created to eradicate the First Men. It's a tool that is following its core directive. You might as well ask a nuclear bomb why it wants to reach critical mass.

RedVIper

Banned
You're trying to assign human emotions to something that isn't human. The NK was a magical construct created to eradicate the First Men. It's a tool that is following its core directive. You might as well ask a nuclear bomb why it wants to reach critical mass.

Except we know he isn't a brainless killing machine.

Romulus

The whole scorpion launcher thing is just silly. I rolled my eyes at that.

They killed a dragon flying sideways at 150mph 4/4 shots, the dragon was literally falling out of the sky at a crazy awkward angle and they're still nailing this thing in stride in the THROAT with bolts, then suddenly they don't know how to fire them in the next fight and can't even land a grazing blow.

Also, the fight at Kings Landings, lets just point 20 scorpion launchers in the same direction because Dragons can only fly from one direction. Makes perfect sense. Fuck the rear flank, they'll never think of that. Dragon Queen just comes behind them and destroys all of them in two passes.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Best moment for me when Drogon burn the throne

It has been the main source of conflict the entire series where people killing each other for it

Glad he ended up melting that ugly chair

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
[Somewhere in Meereen]

"After that nut with her dragons destroyed the city, it has taken forever, but things have finally settled back to normal"

*Roar as Drogon appears in the distance*

"Ah fuck, not this thing again..."

Airbus Jr

Banned
In hindsight, is quite hilarious that Dany died in seconds after one stab while Jaime got stabbed twice and continued climbing for another 10 minutes and Arya getting stabbed multiple times but being fine the next day and doing Parkour on rooftops.

Depends where you got stabbed

Hit vital organs and youre dead

Also Jamie, Jorah, Arya are fierce fighters who can withstand/endure alot more damage than our princess Danny

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
[Somewhere in Meereen]

"After that nut with her dragons destroyed the city, it has taken forever, but things have finally settled back to normal"

*Roar as Drogon appears in the distance*

"Ah fuck, not this thing again..."

Actually Mereen is in the middle of a historically unprecedented renaissance of prosperity under the wise leadership of Dario the Boytoy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, that was pretty dumb. What has been established about Arya's character that even makes her want to sail west? Did she learn about Christopher Columbus at assassin school? How do you even convince anyone to go there? It's history that no one's ever come back. Just have 3 eyed king warg some fish and find out for you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Was anyone else annoyed at how many times they had to resort to recycling lines from previous, better written seasons? I mean, I get it, in the final episodes you want to do some fan service and make a few callbacks here and there, but they didn't seem cleverly placed...mostly just inserted for cheap "look at this reference lol" points.

I got the impression that they couldn't come up with any quality new material so they just regurgitated old material.

The snow and the consistency of winter weather is also strange. The weather, much like the character motivations and character movement speed and armor defense and weapon attack power is whatever the writers want it to be at any given moment.

Last edited:
You know what, this ending was my fault. And I mean me personally. People like me at least. I knew the season had a terrible narrative, but I wanted to believe. The visual spectacle was on point. The music was badass. Like I could ignore everything, it was still fun. I allowed this, like I turned a blind eye. All I can say to that is LMAO. This episode was goddamn fucking stupid. And I don't mean stupid like being bad at math or something like that or being a games journalist. I mean legally stupid, eat your own shit stupid, inexcusably stupid.

Are you telling me that the unsullied and the dothraki, both of whom followed Dany like she was Jesus Christ, were willing to just let it go and not do anything about it? She didn't have a SINGLE GUARD within a mile radius from her? She's this incredibly powerful figure the entire series and she didn't see it coming that Jon might attack her? The dragon had the presence of mind of destroying the throne as a metaphor? More than anything and really, I dare you to explain this to me: why the flying fuck didn't the guards execute Jon Snow on the spot? Like they killed Lannister soldiers like it was nothing. Grey Worm enjoyed it. He did it all for revenge, but he didn't want just a tiny bit of revenge here against the lady that freed him and his people?

This ending sucked ASS. This is a new standard for terrible endings. Well done Benioff and Weiss. Even the acting was off, it's like they knew it was shit and mailed it in. Everyone mailed it in.

At least we can check the Witcher series pretty soon...

Dmp-Pk-Td-X0-AAJt99.jpg

Oh fuck just fucking kill me already.

Fbh

Holy shit. I was expecting it to be bad but this was some next level shit.

Even beyond all the crappy writing and weird/bad decisions. What was going on with the tone of the episode ? After Dany died it just straight up started feeling like the end to some Disney movie. With a lighthearted style full of jokes and good endings.

For example , the only meeting of the new king that we see is one in which not much gets done and the characters just joke around and have a good time.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was expecting that maybe they put in a bigger argument for democracy - something like "The Night's Watch have been electing their Lord Commander for thousands of years by direct voting. We should follow their example as protectors of the realm, who put aside their political fighters for the good of all mankind and give everyone a voice blah blah blah".

Oh well.

Pantz

Was Tormund just chillin at Castle Black for the off chance that Jon might show up or did Jon use fast travel?

I would like to play that video game of Arya going West of Westeros. That's about my only takeaways from this last episode.

Atrus

Gold Member
Well... at least its over. Can't say I expected the guy who didn't even want to be the Lord of Winterfell to be King of the now 6 kingdoms but there you have it.

I felt I couldn't care about all the lives that Daenerys killed in her attack on Kings Landing given all of the massacres on the show. Tywin sacked and slaughtered the city when they deposed the Mad King, Cersi blew up the Sept and all those people, and the Targaryans melted cities in the past but apparently Daenerys went too far. I didn't even like her character but felt she was done dirty to close the story so quickly. Couldn't have been that bad if they could rebuild so quickly and Winter seems to have come and gone without much impact.

Was it me or didn't Jon Snow leave Greyworm to talk to Daenerys only to meet up with... Greyworm? I see he unlocked the magical pirate's fast travel.

I also felt like I couldn't care about the Starks by the end of it.

Arya journeys into the West like an elf from Middle-Earth, Sansa becomes the bitch Queen of the North, Jon Snow is the Lord Commander of the watch again. Meh.

Nothing really changes. 100 years of peace maybe until the leadership council dissolves over who gets the throne after Bran dies and people become jealous that the North is independant.

If I rewatch the series many years from now it'll be to follow the story of Tormund Giantsbane. To sum up the entire story of Game of Thrones in his words: "Fuck the South!".

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Hahaha. God I love it when people whine about a bad ending to a long standing tv show. Lost, the sopranos, Seinfeld, the office, the shield, even breaking bad. How can anyone dislike the ending to breaking bad?

It’s even better when you don’t care about the show. Eight YEARS you spent wasting your time.

That’s why I don’t care how a show ends as long as the Journey was worth it.

A show with as many plot threads and characters as there are and did anyone expect it to wrap up in a satisfactory way?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Did the House of the Undying have special powers? Dany had no ability to have visions other than when she was there and it turned out to be accurate.

Silent Duck

Bran is a sneaky bastard. He didn’t want to rule Winterfell because he knew he would rule the seven kingdoms. He let things play out badly for everyone else, (even though he could offer his knowledge to prevent a lot of bad decisions) just so he could be king. He, with the help of his fool Samwell, spread the information about Jon being a Targaryen. He did that knowing it would send everyone else spiraling out of control. Bran out Cerseid Cersei.

Now it all makes sense. The Night King wanted to stop Bran’s nefarious plans. But Bran had orchestrated his plans too well and the Night King failed. So it turns out he Night King was actually the good guy all along. Pretty sneaky D&D.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I don’t understand why John didn’t just reveal his heritage and claim to the thrown after the knifing. Because Grey Worm was apparently all for following the rules, and letting a named king carry out the sentencing. And what about at the council? Why wouldn’t John’s rightful claim to the thrown have come up in discussion, there? The writers did everything possible to keep him from “winning”. I wonder why.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Found an underrated comment from ign

"Lady Olenna would be spinning in her grave knowing Bronn was sleeping in her bed from now on lol"

(Bron owns Highgarden now in case anyone forgot)

Last edited:
Top Bottom