• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game(s) of the Generation

In no particular order.

Dragon's Dogma / Dark Arisen
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
NieR
Lost Odyssey
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Castlevania Harmony of Despair
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
Batman Arkham Asylum/Ciity

Personal : Persona 4 the golden, as i missed it the first time around. (hard to tell if this counts really but i enjoyed it so much i don't care)

Only
Real Answer: Super mario galaxy

Mr_Joe

Mass Effect 2
A game that surrounded me with one of my favorite casts of characters and it chose to center almost the whole game on them. I've never thought about a game more in my life. Absolutely brilliant.

Super Mario Galaxy
Yeah, yeah, the sequel has better levels and whatever, but this one wins because of scale. So few games make me feel like I'm going on an honest-to-god adventure, but this one nails it. Couple that with amazing art and music to get one my favorite games EVER.

The Walking Dead
It made me cry. I've never cried at a game, movie, or any other media before, but I sobbed through the credits here.

Honorable Mentions
Mass Effect 1/3
Rayman Origins
Gunpoint
Spelunky
Others I'm probably forgetting

FStop7

Banned
I think GTA 5 planted the flag and dropped the mic...

I would also put up CoD4, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham Asylum, and Uncharted 2.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Do handhelds count?
If so, Birth By Sleep.
Else, Dark\Demon Souls.

cdkee

Banned
I have a few.

GTAV. Self explanatory.

Assassin's Creed II. Before the series went to shit, AC2 was amazing.

CoD4. Really, as much as people hate on CoD, this game was freaking amazing to play online. I sunk so many hours into it. This was my first console FPS addiction.

SF4. Saved a genre.

Overall though it was a great console generation. So many classics. Everything by Rockstar (including GTAIV). Everything by Naughty Dog. BioShock, Mirror's Edge, Arkham City, among others.

I have to say I think GTAV might be my favorite. What a game.

18-Volt

For me,
Super Mario Galaxy duo
Lost Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption
inFamous duo (sorry but the games was better than TLOU imho)
Dragon Quest IX
Bayonetta
Saints Row 3rd
Etrian Odyssey

Super Mario Galaxy /2 - I'm not going to even try to decide between them
Fire Emblem Awakening - I'm new to these type of games (sort of), but damn if this game isn't amazing. Wait, does this count since the 3DS (and Vita) are technically a part of next gen?
Mass Effect - [Very] flawed masterpiece. The other two games, while pretty good just aren't the same
Gears of War - best multiplayer this gen, even if a bit flawed

-

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
The World Ends With You
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario Kart DS
Assassin's Creed 2
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Borderlands
Portal

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My GOTG(s): Bayonetta, SMG1/2, Borderlands 2, Demons/Dark Souls, Skyrim, Metal Gear Rising, Grand Theft Auto V, Mega Man 9/10, Harmony of Despair, Mortal Kombat, UMvC3, Shin Megami Tensei IV

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Yeah either Shin Megami Tensei IV or Fire Emblem Awakening would be my choice for handheld GOTG. But like I said for consoles it's Xenoblade.

I only had a 360 this gen but I have 9 "10"s, games which I had the most fun with:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. BioShock
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Halo 3
5. BioShock Infinite
6. GTA 5
7. Halo 4
8. Assassin's Creed 2
9. Mass Effect

Honorary mentions:

Oblivion
RB6: Vegas
Crackdown
Shadow Complex
Dead Space
Portal 2
Gears of War 3
Batman Arkham City
Mark of the Ninja

I can limit my picks to two.
It's between Dark Souls and MGS4 for me.
Maybe I could give it to COD 4 too. It's not going to be a big fan pick, but it certainly owned this generation.

Calibus

God of War 3 -- Really the whole series, but 3 for this gen. A definitive action series IMO.

Mass Effect series -- Got better with each installment. The characters and lore really sucked you in and made you care.

Uncharted series -- Another that got better with each installment (I am probably in the minority, but I enjoyed 3 more than 2). Adventure at its finest. Would love to see an Indiana Jones game series done like this.

Borderlands 1/2 -- Diablo but with guns! Loved the quirky characters and sense of humor.

Honorable mention: Journey (art style and gameplay)

I haven't finished them yet, but the Souls brothers -- Dark and Demon's -- may end up getting honorable mentions. Both have been consuming my free time (especially Dark). GotG material? I'm not prepared to go that far yet.

KSai

Gears of War - I remember how amazing the game first looked on my cousin's SDTV. The switch to HD was magical, and it was my gateway to 3rd person shooters (Max Payne 3, The Last of Us).

Sotha_Sil

Honorable Mentions: Journey, Uncharted 2, Halo: Reach, Braid, The Walking Dead

5. LIMBO
4. Heavy Rain
3. Arkham Asylum
2. Dark Souls
1. Fallout: New Vegas

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I played around 20 or so amazing games this gen. But if I had to pick just one, it would be Fallout New Vegas.

cass.jpg

There are way better open world games out there from a technical perspective. CERTAINLY from a QA perspective lol. The mechanics aren't particularly great. The setting is pretty much just a fucking desert with some junk thrown around. The premise is absolutely absurd, involving police robots, a grassroots Roman Empire, Elvis, and giant insects. But for reasons I cannot actually articulate, this was one of the best videogames ever made.

I played around 20 or so amazing games this gen. But if I had to pick just one, it would be Fallout New Vegas.

cass.jpg

There are way better open world games out there from a technical perspective. CERTAINLY from a QA perspective lol. The mechanics aren't particularly great. The setting is pretty much just a fucking desert with some junk thrown around. The premise is absolutely absurd, involving police robots, a grassroots Roman Empire, Elvis, and giant insects. But for reasons I cannot actually articulate, this was one of the best videogames ever made.

This has to be my favorite post on here. Makes me regret not playing it, you really sold it.

Xedah66

Fallout 3
Xenoblade
La-Mulana
Ghost Trick
Trauma Team
Rune Factory Frontier - I played with a infinite runey code so I probably enjoyed it way more than other people would have.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've posted explanations before, so I'll just list some of mine I guess. In no particular order:

1) Fallout 3
2) The Last of Us
3) Halo 3
4) Bioshock
5) Grand Theft Auto V
6) Killzone 2
7) LittleBigPlanet
8) Metal Gear Solid 4
9) Super Mario Galaxy
10) Batman: Arkham Asylum

ASFM

Neo Member
I love a few that might be a little less popular.

The Last of Us is the obviously choice, as well as Bioshock.

I also absolutely loved Max Payne 3, I think it's easily the best third-person shooter of the gen alongside Vanquish.

Throw in MGS4, and thats my 5.

Kinda a highly unremarkable generation outside of a few shining stars. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Dark Souls would be the only games I'd be comfortable putting up as classics from this generation. Going by the criteria of "games you'll look back at when thinking about the 360/Wii" (no PS3), I'd add Fallout 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Rock Band and Saint's Row 2.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Walking Dead
4. Street Fighter IV
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. The World Ends With You
7. Gears of War 2
8. Mass Effect
9. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
10. Uncharted 2

Loakum

Banned
The Last of Us - Demon's Souls - Uncharted 2 - Metal Gear Solid 4 - Assassin's Creed II - Call of Duty 4 - GTAV

The 3 Games that caused the most impact on me are:
1. Spec Ops The Line, the epitome of interactive storyteling.
2. Mass Effect Trilogy (if I have to pick pne I chose the second) just the better realized world in terms of its conception.
3. The Last of Us, flawless. If I had to call for a perfect game this would be.

mrmickfran

Bayonetta
Vanquish
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Super Mario Galaxy
Catherine
Ninja Gaiden II
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Donkey Kong Country Returns

The number of people listing Dark Souls and not Demon's Souls saddens me.

My picks:

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet
Shogun 2: Total War

Top Bottom