• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I have a practice of not buying albums before I listen to them, and yeah, that Cuphead set is super overpriced. Should be a $60 release. It does look superb, I'll give them that.

Auctopus

Damn, still no email/notification from Game Legends. I think I'm gonna have to email them but I don't think I'm gonna like the answer. It sucks, I ordered as soon as the link was posted in this thread.

Shaneus

Holy shit. iam8bit have met their match with a game known notoriously for it's delays. What will come out first, Cuphead the game or Cuphead the soundtrack?

Dun dun duunnnnn

-GJ-

They show up when they show up. This is a bootleg operation, you'll have to be patient.
Yeah I know, and I am patient :). But it's nice to know an ETA. I've bought bootleg stuff before that got sent to me the same day, as well as stuff that was months away.

Newsletter said late July for Bananas, and hopefully August for Metroid. Whereas those are most likely estimates, I bet they ship 2-3 times faster than iam8bit...
Thank you!

crimnos

Newsletter said late July for Bananas, and hopefully August for Metroid. Whereas those are most likely estimates, I bet they ship 2-3 times faster than iam8bit...

Hopefully he's pretty responsive to emails, as I'm moving during that August time frame and don't have the new address yet. Not proud of ordering it, but if and when Nintendo ever gets into this game I'm on any Metroid stuff day one.

-GJ-

Hopefully he's pretty responsive to emails, as I'm moving during that August time frame and don't have the new address yet. Not proud of ordering it, but if and when Nintendo ever gets into this game I'm on any Metroid stuff day one.
I only ordered the Bananas one at first, but I wanted the Metroid one as well, so I contacted him about changing the order and got a response within a day.

SugarDave

My Witcher 3 order on the SL9 site says that my shipment is on the way, but when I click the USPS tracking link it says delivered, even though I haven't received it.

Does that just mean the local delivery method have taken it to deliver to me or might that indicate a problem? Just got a little concerned when I saw it.

I also can't imagine something like this going for a penny under $80.
Based on...... what, exactly?

The records themselves are a couple bucks a pop to manufacture, depending on the print run and relationship the publisher has with their pressing plant (ErichWK can give some figures based on his experience, if he desires). $40-$50 for a 4xLP would turn a decent profit. I know indie labels that sell 3xLP albums for $20 and do very well. iam8bit is just taking advantage of an ignorant and exploitable fanbase.

Here we go:
http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/product/lost-river-box-set

3xLP for $40, comes in a deluxe box packaging, comes with two large posters, a slipmat, a 48 page 12x24" book.

Rez was 2xLP and came with a book sewn into the sleeve; iam8bit claimed "extreme value" in charging $85 for it.

ErichWK

The records themselves are a couple bucks a pop to manufacture, depending on the print run and relationship the publisher has with their pressing plant (ErichWK can give some figures based on his experience, if he desires). $40-$50 for a 4xLP would turn a decent profit. I know indie labels that sell 3xLP albums for $20 and do very well. iam8bit is just taking advantage of an ignorant and exploitable fanbase.

Here we go:

3xLP for $40, comes in a deluxe box packaging, comes with two large posters, a slipmat, a 48 page 12x24" book.

Rez was 2xLP and came with a book sewn into the sleeve; iam8bit claimed "extreme value" in charging $85 for it.

I can legit show you my receipts on how much it cost me to print a double LP and still maintain profit. I think $60 for a 4x vinyl is fair for all parties without bleeding out the consumer.

Based on...... what, exactly?.

Simply recent experience. Bear in mind I'm not going to give them the business...I don't like their practices, and I think they're generally overpriced.

I can legit show you my receipts on how much it cost me to print a double LP and still maintain profit. I think $60 for a 4x vinyl is fair for all parties without bleeding out the consumer.

Reading this, I feel comfortable stating that their prices aren't priced reasonably. At all.

I've missed UPS twice now in regards to the Witcher 3 2xLP set that I bought. I've paid my import charges over the phone so hopefully the driver can leave it with a neighbor if I'm not in when they arrive. I just hope it arrives intact with no damage as it's a birthday present for my girlfriend.

Here we go:

Though, to be fair, all the prices on Italians Do It Better are insane. All digital downloads for 2-3 hour long albums are $1, double LPs for like $18, it's nuts, in the best way

ErichWK

Simply recent experience. Bear in mind I'm not going to give them the business...I don't like their practices, and I think they're generally overpriced.

Reading this, I feel comfortable stating that their prices aren't priced reasonably. At all.

I know I sound like a grumpy old man who is constantly repeating himself about over priced vinyl, but the reason I do is for the precedent to not set a standard for other vinyl labels to hike up their prices. I love buying VGM vinyl and don't want every company to give us iam8bit prices because they can get away with it..then have the market crash with insane prices and we stop getting bad ass soundtracks like Outrun and Galaxy Force. Like this is an insane time to be alive for us vinyl fans. Who would have though someone would take the time and energy to give us fucking Zuntata on vinyl. I just don't want this hobby that's already expensive to turn impossible to support by greed. Then again I'm an old man from the punk scene who cares about scruples so what the hell do I know.

Damn, still no email/notification from Game Legends. I think I'm gonna have to email them but I don't think I'm gonna like the answer. It sucks, I ordered as soon as the link was posted in this thread.

Yeah, nothing from them here either. I ordered as soon as they went up. Do they normally not send shipping notifications for those outside of EU?

crimnos

I know I sound like a grumpy old man who is constantly repeating himself about over priced vinyl, but the reason I do is for the precedent to not set a standard for other vinyl labels to hike up their prices. I love buying VGM vinyl and don't want every company to give us iam8bit prices because they can get away with it..then have the market crash with insane prices and we stop getting bad ass soundtracks like Outrun and Galaxy Force. Like this is an insane time to be alive for us vinyl fans. Who would have though someone would take the time and energy to give us fucking Zuntata on vinyl. I just don't want this hobby that's already expensive to turn impossible to support by greed. Then again I'm an old man from the punk scene who cares about scruples so what the hell do I know.

Seconded, I've been thinking about this a lot. Sure you may see some short-term gain from targeting only whales, but without the dolphins and minnows, there's no market and without the market the value of those whale collections crash. And then we're right back where we started.

ErichWK

I also got drunk and ranted on the cuphead vgm vinyl thread on Reddit. I told iam8bit to suck a fart out of my ass and now I'm embarrassed to look at it.

Guuuhhhh

Audioboxer

I just want to join any available dog pile to state iam8bits pricing can do one.

In other news it seems scalpers love the gaming industry for vinyls now. So much stuff sells out and balloons to insane prices very quickly.

I also got drunk and ranted on the cuphead vgm vinyl thread on Reddit. I told iam8bit to suck a fart out of my ass and now I'm embarrassed to look at it.
Hah. I saw this thread called out there for being a "circle-jerk of blind iam8bit hate that recycles the same jokes," or something to that effect. Which is kind of funny because I'm fairly certain the last time iam8bit put out a standard, reasonably priced vinyl (Undertale, if I am correct), there was nothing but positive things to be said here.

Shaneus

neither will ever release but they'll take ur money for the preorder tho
Is that the equivalent of tying some buttered toast to a cat's back, and it just perpetually hovers without landing?

Guuuhhhh
Guess where I'm heading now ;)

Got my Gunstar LE from Data Discs! :D
No sticker, though... :(
Email them. I did that prior to ordering Revenge of Shinobi (and SoR1) and they gave me a stack of both RoS and PD-coloured DD stickers.

Still waiting for them to do a t-shirt (or any other merch) though.

Hah. I saw this thread called out there for being a "circle-jerk of blind iam8bit hate that recycles the same jokes," or something to that effect. Which is kind of funny because I'm fairly certain the last time iam8bit put out a standard, reasonably priced vinyl (Undertale, if I am correct), there was nothing but positive things to be said here.
They did that?

rpbtz

You're not the one that makes look bad, Pixy! But yeah, I'm over it.

I should probably note that I'm not out to make anyone in here look bad. It's more that I think the quality of discussion in this thread has dumbed down a lot with "extreme value" jokes that I personally don't find particularly funny (but to each their own!).

It's not that I disagree that 8bit prices are too high, but those prices seem to take over all discussion every time they announce something new, which is a shame because the talk here used to be pretty damn awesome.

Every time I see this thread get bumped I get excited, but it's usually just iam8bit adding 20 bucks to their last price point.

^ I think this also sums up a bit how I feel about the thread atm.

Chinner

Banned
The reality is that Iam8bit view records as collectable items for super fans, while in contrast most in this thread like the novelty of collecting but also actually listening to the music.

I guess this thread is a little more one note (heh) lately, as discussion about soundtracks have died down. In turn, I get the hate. Iam8bit is flooding the market in an attempt to control it, and people should be calling them out on it.

crimnos

The reality is that Iam8bit view records as collectable items for super fans, while in contrast most in this thread like the novelty of collecting but also actually listening to the music.

I guess this thread is a little more one note (heh) lately, as discussion about soundtracks have died down. In turn, I get the hate. Iam8bit is flooding the market in an attempt to control it, and people should be calling them out on it.

I'd be happy to talk soundtracks if Mondo would mail my Gunstar Heroes! So much envy...

BTails

No idea... want to race? :p

If you win, I will buy you an over-priced iam8bit record of your choice. If I win, you send me a nice backlit GBA ;)

Back on the topic of actually listening to music... I listened to my copy of Panzer Dragoon again on Sunday. Man, that's a great soundtrack, and it sounds amazing on vinyl. Every track is great, and they're all so varied!

Really looking forward to Gunstar and Golden Axe, which hopefully will arrive in a couple weeks.

I should probably note that I'm not out to make anyone in here look bad. It's more that I think the quality of discussion in this thread has dumbed down a lot with "extreme value" jokes that I personally don't find particularly funny (but to each their own!).

It's not that I disagree that 8bit prices are too high, but those prices seem to take over all discussion every time they announce something new, which is a shame because the talk here used to be pretty damn awesome.
Okay, I'll bite. What SHOULD the discussion be about when we have one publisher aggressively licensing several hotly desired properties and pricing them in a way that could possibly crash the market?

Also the "extreme value" posts are not jokes. You know how you put a dog's nose in its mess when it goes on the floor? Yeah, it's more like that. And we will continue to do it until they learn.

When iam8bit stops being a shit company, I'll stop bitching about them. Until then, fuck yes I'll keep voicing my disapproval and encouraging people to not support them every time they announce some new overpriced release.

I don't blame you. I would fucking love Hyper Light Drifter. Packaging looks sexy as fuck, I love the game, I love the music. It took a lot of self control for me not to bite.

I want to apologize to everyone in this thread for buying the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack. :(
I feel you, man. I came close so many times cause I loves me some Disasterpiece.

I bought four or five other albums in its place though. I mean, that speaks volumes to its price.

OSHAN

Yeah it was like 82 bucks shipped. Granted, I paid the same for the SF2 boxset which was also 4 LPs, but still, it's a lot.

I would do bad bad things to get Sunsoft's Batman NES soundtrack on LP.
Whoa now, we've got a real Moneky's Paw thing going on with video game vinyl, let's not signal the bad man.

Ahem, "I would pay a reasonable amount of money comparable to similar products to get Sunsoft's Batman NES soundtrack on LP."

Top Bottom