• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

LaneDS

I want to apologize to everyone in this thread for buying the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack. :(

Do you have it yet? All issues I had with the price were forgotten when it arrived, because it's a really awesome package (and uh dope stickers).

There should be a non-fancy version, fairly priced version of any of these releases. That's really the answer here. But I don't for a second regret HLD or Rez because both of those packages are awesome.

OnPoint

Can we please get Beyond Good & Evil on vinyl?

giphy.gif

Shaneus

Okay, I'll bite. What SHOULD the discussion be about when we have one publisher aggressively licensing several hotly desired properties and pricing them in a way that could possibly crash the market?

Also the "extreme value" posts are not jokes. You know how you put a dog's nose in its mess when it goes on the floor? Yeah, it's more like that. And we will continue to do it until they learn.
Pretty much. The "extreme value" isn't just a dig at the Rez release, but at every dot point they try and use as an excuse to bump up the cost. Also, why not just have a standard sleeve release for every title? That'd bring down the price of the actual records overall, give more people a chance to hear the soundtrack and bring them in more money.

ErichWK

Get out of my wishes.

Actually, that sounds right up ShipToShore's alley.

HEY GUYS RELEASE ALL THE SUNSOFT STUFF LET'S MAKE THE DREAM HAPPEN.

After lagrange point, literally anything is possible. I'll even kill for a dynamite heddy. But first and foremost Gimmick!

I know I sound like a grumpy old man who is constantly repeating himself about over priced vinyl, but the reason I do is for the precedent to not set a standard for other vinyl labels to hike up their prices. I love buying VGM vinyl and don't want every company to give us iam8bit prices because they can get away with it..then have the market crash with insane prices and we stop getting bad ass soundtracks like Outrun and Galaxy Force. Like this is an insane time to be alive for us vinyl fans. Who would have though someone would take the time and energy to give us fucking Zuntata on vinyl. I just don't want this hobby that's already expensive to turn impossible to support by greed. Then again I'm an old man from the punk scene who cares about scruples so what the hell do I know.

I don't see places like SpaceLab or Mondo going batshit insane with pricing, but all it takes is a change in personnel.

I mean, even though I'm an Adult with a Job and Income, and I'm completely alright with folks making money, I still feel like the price is too much.

hawk2025

By the way, the 3LP packaging for The Witcher is lazy as hell.

The back of the jacket doesnt even list the third LP -- it's just plopped into the third gatefold sleeve :/

SugarDave

Both my Witcher 3 and Deus Ex records arrived today. Still think it's ridiculous that not all the W3 sets were signed, there's only 100 ffs!

Dan-o

This isn't necessarily vinyl related
OR IS IT!??!?!
but YouTuber "Techmoan" and a bunch of other random people got a surprise package from Sega the other day.
Here's Techmoan's video: https://youtu.be/KxBX7H4darQ

It turned out to be this tape
and a bic pen, LOL
Which is promoting Sega's new "retro games on mobile" thing they're doing, I guess.

But... it got me thinking... if this music is on this tape... MAYBE, just maybe, there's a plan for some vinyl releases we haven't heard about yet.

Now, we already know Data Discs has released some of this music on vinyl, but new (to me, anyway) are the following:

Altered Beast (which they've already confirmed/teased)
Space Harrier
Phantasy Star II
Shining Force II
Columns
Vectorman
Kid Chameleon
G-Loc Air Battle

This doesn't mean DD is releasing these soundtracks on vinyl but it could, and really, that would be pretty cool. :)

crimnos

OR IS IT!??!?!
but YouTuber "Techmoan" and a bunch of other random people got a surprise package from Sega the other day.

and a bic pen, LOL

Which is promoting Sega's new "retro games on mobile" thing they're doing, I guess.

But... it got me thinking... if this music is on this tape... MAYBE, just maybe, there's a plan for some vinyl releases we haven't heard about yet.

Now, we already know Data Discs has released some of this music on vinyl, but new (to me, anyway) are the following:

Space Harrier
Phantasy Star II
Shining Force II
Columns
Vectorman
Kid Chameleon
G-Loc Air Battle

This doesn't mean DD is releasing these soundtracks on vinyl but it could, and really, that would be pretty cool. :)

Yes PLEASE to Phantasy Star II.

Mknzy

OR IS IT!??!?!

and a bic pen, LOL

Space Harrier
Phantasy Star II
Shining Force II
Columns
Vectorman
Kid Chameleon
G-Loc Air Battle

I would be all over Phantasy Star II, Shining Force II, and Kid Chameleon.

ErichWK

Speaking of Tape.. So I am about to order a bunch of Cassette tapes for our two shorter album releases. (Pink Sells and Singles) I wanna gauge some interests. Would any of you dudes be interested in buying a tape? Anything i can do to incentive-ize people to buy one or is it just for collecting. Also what do you guys think is a good price point?

Sorry for crowding the vinyl thread, i don't really know who to go to for these questions? Haha. I mean, I have a feeling Tape is gonna turn into the new Vinyl

crimnos

Speaking of Tape.. So I am about to order a bunch of Cassette tapes for our two shorter album releases. (Pink Sells and Singles) I wanna gauge some interests. Would any of you dudes be interested in buying a tape? Anything i can do to incentive-ize people to buy one or is it just for collecting. Also what do you guys think is a good price point?

Sorry for crowding the vinyl thread, i don't really know who to go to for these questions? Haha. I mean, I have a feeling Tape is gonna turn into the new Vinyl

Nah, I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I have no interest in tape since I'm kind of doing this for archival purposes and cassettes are the last thing you want for archiving.

rpbtz

I'd be interested. I've been casually picking up game music on tapes when I've stumbled across it (although I'm not going out of my way tracking down old releases like I would with vinyl).

While tapes are becoming more popular I don't believe they will be the new vinyl, though - or anywhere close for that matter.

-GJ-

Personally I'm not really interested in cassettes. I'd rather have a 10" or just a regular 12" if it's for shorter releases/EP's. But I can see the appeal of cassettes as they are rather cheap and audioquality wise not nearly as bad as they used to be.

akileese

In case no one has checked iam8bit's update page:

https://iam8bit.com/updates/

Some of note, Headlander, Planet Coaster, Hero of Time, Warframe, Abzu, Sunset Riders are all alleged to ship out this month, as well as a couple of represses due to ship out this month and next month so I imagine we're about to see a fury of announcements from them.

OR IS IT!??!?!

and a bic pen, LOL

Space Harrier
Phantasy Star II
Shining Force II
Columns
Vectorman
Kid Chameleon
G-Loc Air Battle

I want those bad, but resale prices are gonna suck

rpbtz

Heads up to people who ordered Witcher 3 from Game-Legends. People who have not received and have inquired about their copies (might) have received this mail from Game-Legends:

Due to a miscalculation regarding the stock count of the Witcher soundtrack and their high request, we just ran out of copies. We are currently unable to make your order ready for shipping.
The colleagues from the warehouse dispatched the orders chronologically, so I am forced to inform a handful of our beloved customers about their non-deliverable order.

I can either cancel your order and refund your payment or I can keep your order in our system: the supplier of the soundtracks will announce some good news regarding some further vinyl copies of Witcher soundtrack within the next four to six weeks. If you are fine with keeping your order, we will inform you about updates :)

We are so sorry for any inconveniences!

akileese

Heads up to people who ordered Witcher 3 from Game-Legends. People who have not received and have inquired about their copies (might) have received this mail from Game-Legends:

This whole thing feels like a giant disaster front to back.

Also for those holding on theirs for value purposes, anything over about $120 appears to be stagnant.

Auctopus

Got the email from game-legends saying I was one of the "miscalculations" from The Witcher 3 orders. Fuck sake, never wanted a vinyl more.

kanuuna

Finally got my HLD set. Packaging is neat and the sound (from what I've gone through so far) is great. Definitely not the cheapest thing I've bought on vinyl, but I can't say I'm disappointed by the release. However, I probably won't be pre-ordering anything from iam8bit in the future, unless it's something super duper limited and something I couldn't pass on (ie. Halo: CE on vinyl).

StillEdge

Finally got my HLD set. Packaging is neat and the sound (from what I've gone through so far) is great. Definitely not the cheapest thing I've bought on vinyl, but I can't say I'm disappointed by the release. However, I probably won't be pre-ordering anything from iam8bit in the future, unless it's something super duper limited and something I couldn't pass on (ie. Halo: CE on vinyl).
I'm still waiting on Zelda to ship from them and I will also be done with them. The bad part is, it seems Xbox is buddy buddy with them.

Dan-o

Email them. I did that prior to ordering Revenge of Shinobi (and SoR1) and they gave me a stack of both RoS and PD-coloured DD stickers.

Still waiting for them to do a t-shirt (or any other merch) though.

So my daughter found the sticker... under our couch. Turns out it must have fallen out of the package when I opened it and it slid across the floor. :D

And yes, T-shirts would be awesome.

StillEdge

I was just creeping on the Zelda and Iam8bit posts on twitter and came across this post from the people doing the Zelda vinyl. What a passive aggressive response. How annoying. I don't know what is worse Iam8bit or defending Iam8bit.

The original tweet is linked here with the whole back and forth.
https://twitter.com/AkiraSakura2/status/875711440992317440

" Materia Collective‏ @MateriaColl Jun 16

Yup, quality takes time. If you find yourself unable to practice patience and understanding, feel free to buy video game music elsewhere. ♥"

I was just creeping on the Zelda and Iam8bit posts on twitter and came across this post from the people doing the Zelda vinyl. What a passive aggressive response. How annoying. I don't know what is worse Iam8bit or defending Iam8bit.

Yup, quality takes time. If you find yourself unable to practice patience and understanding, feel free to buy video game music elsewhere. ♥"
Fuck them. What a shitty response.

Zia

GUNSTAR HEROES.

Anyone else not yet get a GH shipping notification from Mondo? Getting antsy over here...

Jesus. What outreach.

That tweet is aggravating. I guess I should assume they're not as well versed in the perpetual horrors spoken about iam8bit, and whatever they are aware of is ignored in the midst of their partnership.

That certainly doesn't make the person who wrote that puerile nonsense any less of an asshole, but I'm not sure they could really do any better (or worse, I suppose), considering the project's origin. I imagine partnering with anyone was a huge win for them, and the distributor gets to sell some vinyl with fucking Zelda as its focus.

Shaneus

That tweet is aggravating. I guess I should assume they're not as well versed in the perpetual horrors spoken about iam8bit, and whatever they are aware of is ignored in the midst of their partnership.

That certainly doesn't make the person who wrote that puerile nonsense any less of an asshole, but I'm not sure they could really do any better (or worse, I suppose), considering the project's origin. I imagine partnering with anyone was a huge win for them, and the distributor gets to sell some vinyl with fucking Zelda as its focus.
I think the guy who wrote it does a lot of the piano scores for various games (like the Undertale piano release).

akileese

Yeah...neither side is innocent here and to play devil's advocate, three month lead for a pressing really isn't bad. That tweet was passive aggressive as hell but the original was equally as bad.

It's iam8bit and if you preorder from them, you know that it's 1) Probably going to be late 2) You're going to get super shitty customer service.

They still put out stuff I want and in the future, maybe I'll snag some stuff once it's been out for a while and gets a price drop, but I'm done preordering anything from them.

crimnos

Anyone else not yet get a GH shipping notification from Mondo? Getting antsy over here...

Jesus. What outreach.

Yeah, still no shipping notice and just as antsy.

Edit: Also, on that Materia Collective tweet...I'm kind of in their sweet spot sales-wise but that tweet did its job, I'll look elsewhere. Incredibly unprofessional.

BTails

Regarding Mondo, sometimes their shipping takes a while, especially for foreign orders. I've ordered a number of records from them before (to Canada), and sometimes it's taken a couple weeks before they ship out.

Their customer service is super helpful though, they've combined orders and reduced shipping a few times for me, and are happy to check on the status of orders.

Almost three weeks later and I am still waiting for a refund of my The Last Guardian vinyl from iam8bit. I have email confirmation that one "Kerim" would make sure I got my refund on the first of June.

Followed up today but still no response.

Top Bottom