• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK: Truck carrying Splatoon limited editions stolen.

jimi_dini

So why can't Nintendo produce a shit ton more to mitigate demand? Are they that hard or expensive to produce?

In quite a few European countries you were able to order the Special Edition up until a few days ago. Some stores even sold it for 45EUR only (32pounds).

My own order is even lower than that. It's 41EUR (+16EUR for the splatoon girl amiibo).

And atm it's still possible to order the SE from amazon.co.uk. I have no idea what your problem is. This is nothing like the Bayonetta 2 Limited Edition. And for that one Nintendo's estimate was actually well done. There were simply a few scalpers, who bought stock as soon as it showed up. You can still buy the LE right from those scalpers for almost "normal" prices. Because of those scalpers I had ordered 3 copies in total from 3 different shops. One got cancelled by one store. And in the end I got 2.

If they would have made 100.000 Bayonetta LEs, scalpers wouldn't have shown up and thus only a few of those copies would have sold. Which would have been pretty bad for Nintendo. I would even say that Bayonetta LE was overproduced. Without scalpers it wouldn't have sold out in the end.

EDIT: it's also available from nintendo.co.uk. And it's also available from thegamecollection.net for 38pounds. Shoppe2.net also has it, but for an overpriced 60pounds.

Anung

Un Rama
Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... Amiibos?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?

fttony.jpg

DiGiKerot

Nintendo.co.uk still has the special edition in stock.

Nah, they ran out at least twenty minutes ago.

Meh, this is going to leave me at least £15 out of pocket if I want all three Amiibos, which isn't exactly the end of the world, but it sure it dam annoying. The delay on actually getting the game, particularly given some folks already have it, makes it doubly so.

This amiibo craze started to get scary... Sucks to everyone involved.

But what if someone just wanted the truck? Imagine them opening the back, expecring some flashy tech and finding a truckload of squid figures instead

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

But what if someone just wanted the truck? Imagine them opening the back, expecring some flashy tech and finding a truckload of squid figures instead

Na, it's all about the amiibo.

Soon we can expect Oceans 11 style amiibo heists.

jiiikoo

Banned

I bet they can get a lot more money for the Amiibos than the truck.

LoveCake

So why won't Nintendo replace the lost stock? Is that not what should happen in a situation like this?

My thoughts exactly, a claim will be made to insurers, they could at least make more Squidling amiibos & ship them out separately later on.

LAA

Woah. Lucky I got mine this morning from ShopTo.
Hope Nintendo help out to fulfill those orders at least somehow.

Saiyan-Rox

So why won't Nintendo replace the lost stock? Is that not what should happen in a situation like this?

The edition just got harder to get which means more demand straight from Nintendo (hence it being OOS) they're probably seeing it as a good thing.

jimi_dini

Imagine them opening the back, expecring some flashy tech and finding a truckload of squid figures instead

And if the thieves have any idea about what amiibos are, their reaction was "OMG, jackpot!!!" :p

What's worth more:
- a truck filled with Samsung TVs
- a truck filled with Shulk Amiibos

DiGiKerot

Because Nintendo don't just have several thousand spare Squid Amiibo's lying around, and retooling a factory back up to manufacture them again would likely take more than a little time, not to mention the whole manufacturing them and shipping them back into Europe again.

You're talking weeks at best case - who the heck is going to wait for that stock to be replaced?

Valnen

The edition just got harder to get which means more demand straight from Nintendo (hence it being OOS) they're probably seeing it as a good thing.

That seems completely disrespectful to their customers. They should make more and delay the shipment, not cancel customer orders outright.

weekev

Banned
Just cancelled preorder and went with Amazon.

Supersecret tip, dont do what I did.

Why not? I hear you ask. Game are giving you £10 off the standalone meaning the price is £22 sans Amiibo, they also beat any trade in price by £1. CEX are trading in Splatoon for £24 so youd get £25 of store credit for £22.

Every little helps right?

Pookmunki

So sorry to hear.I was going to make a joke at this thread, then I read this and you hit me with reality. Sorry to hear. I hope game aren't twisting this tale

It's all good, already spoken to him and he's accepting it like a big boy. He's more interested in the hat than t shirt so I'll stick with the standard edition downgrade - I'll just get him something else to make up for it :)

Glad to see CEX do the right thing though, any stock they take in will likely be this stolen shipment.

Valnen

It's Nintendo and Amiibos. There are literally no more to replace the stock with. What is out there is all there will be.

Disgusting. They better not have anything like this on their next console or I'm done with this company for good. Not even Pokemon will bring me back.

Those saying about nintendo restocking game, they can't even restock their own stores with amiibo because they under produce them.

This is hilarious.

I'm imagining a criminal gang setting up a heist to get amiibo and sell them all on ebay for $50.

sadly that's probably true.

This is anarchy. Are no amiibos safe?

>rushes home
>flys through house
>plays special sequence on baby grand piano
>secret chamber opens

No!

>vault safe is blown open
>amiibos are gone
>at the last minute, witness the Zodiac Killer escaping into the emergency tunnel with a bag full of amiibos
>I can hear their fear
>Nintendoomed

What if Nintendo planned this to drive up demand and hype for Splatoon? I mean, how many thieves do you know knows WTF is a Splatoon?

Azure J

Someone in the UK stole a truck full of Wii U games...

I feel like that's one of the seven seals being broken or something. Really blows for the folks expecting this though.

I was trying so hard to read the rest of this thread before posting but goddamn it CV. :lol

What if Nintendo planned this to drive up demand and hype for Splatoon? I mean, how many thieves do you know knows WTF is a Splatoon?

Tinfoil Hat Amiibo, now for only 20 USD!... Oh wait, I have a call.

Truck? What truck?... Oh, dammit... No trace of the thief, you say? Not a single Amiibo left?

*beep*

Sorry, apparently our stock of the Tinfoil Hat Amiibo got stolen. We will give you a Fedora Amiibo for 15 USD instead.

iNvid02

maybe they read a newspaper article about the supply/demand situation for amibo and thought people would be frothing at the mouth to get this squid thing

Has any outlet said where exactly this happened? All reports are generic 'on the way to the UK from Nintendo Europe' with no specific location (or even country) mentioned. A lot of people have automatically assumed that it happened in the UK, but Nintendo Europe is based in Frankfurt, Germany - so this could have happened in several mainland European countries while in transit.

Edit: It's actually 'on the way from a Nintendo Europe warehouse' which could be anywhere, not just in Frankfurt (I think that's just the HQ of European operations).

-Horizon-

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... Amiibos?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?

fttony.jpg
Haha

Koren

Three weeks ago, a truck containing spare parts for the Rafale (french latest multirole fighter) has been stolen. The thefts may have been interested in the truck, because they probably can't get much for such parts. So I guess it happens.

If they indeed picked the truck at random, it'll be a surprise...

Sad for people with preorders cancelled. At least, it seems that the game (even LE) will not be impossible to find...

Top Bottom