• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube Component Cables

Does anyone know where I can get these, or might be willing to part with theirs? I've called Nintendo and they no longer sell them, and will not be receiving any more shipments. I checked Ebay and they go for $60 - $90. Fuck that. EB Games and the Gamestops I've checked do not carry them. As far as I know, third parties never made cables for GameCube. Any ideas or other places I can check?

Meier

Do these make a difference if you dont have an HDTV? I cant see much of one (if any) playing Pikmin 2 with them in use although I do have an RGB tv.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Meier said:
Do these make a difference if you dont have an HDTV? I cant see much of one (if any) playing Pikmin 2 with them in use although I do have an RGB tv.

Big difference over S-Video? No hugely.
Big difference over composite? Hellsa-freakin-yes!

aerofx

Looks great on component tvs too, doesn't have to be HDTV. But damn 90 bucks! Maybe it's time to sell mine.

ant1532

Banned
Meier said:
what? why would you use 480p cables without a TV capable of displaying a 480p signal... that makes no sence at all

Anyways, Liksang and playasia have em(japanese official ones, they work with american cubes though so dont worry)

this has been asked a lot you coulda searched..

Vormund

From what I've seen of the back of the Wii, it appears to have the same connector as the Gamecube did (and the N64 and the SNES :) ) so i'm sure that will be some available if you are willing to wait.

I just bought an HDTV, so that's why I want these cables. I've read they make a significant improvement over composite, which still looks great compared to the PS2 when it's hooked up through it's HD cable. I'll check Play-Asia though. I have no idea why I didn't think about that.

I did search, and I made sure to ask EvilLore if it was cool. Alot of the searches came up with stuff about the Wii, anyhow.

ant1532

Banned
Asskicker064 said:
I just bought an HDTV, so that's why I want these cables. I've read they make a significant improvement over composite, which still looks great compared to the PS2 when it's hooked up through it's HD cable. I'll check Play-Asia though. I have no idea why I didn't think about that.

I did search, and I made sure to ask EvilLore if it was cool. Alot of the searches came up with stuff about the Wii, anyhow.
yea i dont blame ya, but yea the cables are more than worth it. i bought mine off http://www.lik-sang.com

biggreenmachine said:
It makes a huge difference. I got my calbes for like $15 at EBgames and they are good for GC/PS2/Xbox.

Really? I thought the Universal Cables only work for PS2/XBox HD but the GameCube is SVideo/Composite.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I always ask for comparison pics in these types of threads, but never get them. :(

Ranger X

Component DOES make a difference. Pretty huge one. My PS2 is plugged in component and my GC in composite. When i go back at the GC i need a good 10 mins to forget the difference, seriously.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Asskicker064 said:
Really? I thought the Universal Cables only work for PS2/XBox HD but the GameCube is SVideo/Composite.

True true, my bad. I'm only running at 480i not 480p, only some games support 480p though.

MoxManiac

I noticed a difference between s-video and component on my SDTV with GC. Maybe it's because I used my N64 s-video cable before i got my GC component cable though. Maybe that would cause worse quality?

Mejilan

You do not need a Pro Scan (480p+) TV to get some significant benefit out of component cables.

If your tv supports component inputs, FFS use 'em!

Ahriman

Ranger X said:
Component DOES make a difference. Pretty huge one. My PS2 is plugged in component and my GC in composite. When i go back at the GC i need a good 10 mins to forget the difference, seriously.

QFT

Mejilan

Ranger X said:

Rather ironic, since in my experience, I've noticed that my GCN benefits from component setups MUCH more than my PS2 does.

Meier

ant1532 said:
what? why would you use 480p cables without a TV capable of displaying a 480p signal... that makes no sence at all

I've got a TV with component output that isnt HD. What's there to not understand? I just didnt see much of a difference versus going back to the Composite ones with Pikmin 2, but maybe I need to play a different game to see a huge difference (I'd been using them for awhile, but when I got a 360 I replaced them with the old ones and plugged the 360 in).

polg said:

Nope. I saw those too. If you look, only the PS2 and Xbox use the component on those cables. The GameCube does not. It's either SVideo or composite. Like I said, no third party makes component cables for the GameCube. Fucking Nintendo. I'll be really disappointed if I have to wait for the Wii to come out before I can use it.

I'm in the same position but I've decided to just wait for Wii. I'm not even sure Wii will use the same a/v out as GameCube, so I'm definitely not going to spend any significant amount of money on GC component cables.

polg

Asskicker064 said:
Nope. I saw those too. If you look, only the PS2 and Xbox use the component on those cables. The GameCube does not. It's either SVideo or composite. Like I said, no third party makes component cables for the GameCube. Fucking Nintendo. I'll be really disappointed if I have to wait for the Wii to come out before I can use it.

sh1t... you are right!

Adaox said:
Dude just wait for the Wii. You'll be better off to put the $50 into that instead.

Well, the Wii won't be here until October at best. I just bought this HDTV so I want something to show it off with. I'll probably just pick up an Xbox tonight. Again, fucking Nintendo.

Oh, here's the email I got back from Nintendo:

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

The Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable has been discontinued and will no longer be available for purchase through Nintendo's Online Store or over the phone. The difficulty of manufacturing the part in a timely manner meant that it became no longer practical to continue selling it.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
David Glover

Damn guys, it's hard making a cable that doesn't even have audio support. Sure gives one a lot of confidence in the Wii component cable.

Mejilan

Asskicker064 said:
Well, the Wii won't be here until October at best. I just bought this HDTV so I want something to show it off with. I'll probably just pick up an Xbox tonight. Again, fucking Nintendo.

Oh, here's the email I got back from Nintendo:

Damn guys, it's hard making a cable that doesn't even have audio support. Sure gives one a lot of confidence in the Wii component cable.

I don't think they'll strip the component port out of the Wii like they did with the redesigned GCN a few years ago.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I think the best hope now would be to find one in Japan... I'm fairly sure stores there would have it.
I had to order mine online actually. There's not much GC stuff in stores at all these days.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I had to order mine online actually. There's not much GC stuff in stores at all these days.

Do they have any left over from where you got it from? ;)

I guess I'm mixing the component cables up with the D-Terminal cables, which I saw even in stores like Don Quixote.

arab

Can someone post a picture showing the difference in quality for compenant and composite for the ps2?

ms-07

Banned
I too am looking for these cables. I heard Lik-sang sells them for $40 when they have them in stock, which is more reasonable than $90 on ebay.

Johnas

I got one off Ebay *cringe* but it was actually in really good shape, very lightly used. I forget what I paid for it, but it was actually reasonable. This was ~1.5 years ago though.

It absolutely makes a noticeable difference, color-wise and clarity-wise. You would appreciate the difference. I don't have an HD set either. I'm looking forward to one day playing Prime with prog scan.

^ $90 on Ebay now? Jeez.

Pachinko

90 bucks eh ? jeez I should have bought a few of them from nintendo's store if I'd have known they were gonna shoot up that much in value. The stupid things cost about 45 canadian new.

dbish

Vormund said:
From what I've seen of the back of the Wii, it appears to have the same connector as the Gamecube did (and the N64 and the SNES :) ) so i'm sure that will be some available if you are willing to wait.

Sorry to derail, but is this true? That would be great news as my video switcher is currently full and I'd hate to have to take something out.

dbish said:
Sorry to derail, but is this true? That would be great news as my video switcher is currently full and I'd hate to have to take something out.

Why would it matter aside from getting a new cable? I assume you'd be getting rid of the GameCube anyway since it's useless once the Wii comes out.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
protip: The Wii, so far, has a differnt port than the universal snes/n64/gcn cables.

I was at e3, and specifically made a note to look at the plug for the TV's

They were using the component GC cables, and were running in progressive scan (According to zee booth girlie) in widescreen natively.

d

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It does make a difference. I think the best looking game on an HD through component is F Zero in 16:9.

ant1532

Banned
FlyinJ said:
It does make a difference. I think the best looking game on an HD through component is F Zero in 16:9.
i retardley traded in my copy before i got my HD setup... Im gunna buy another copy of it thouhg justtoo see it in 480p... one day..

You can buy Nintendo component cables straight from Nintendo by calling their store. I just bought cables from them in March over the phone. Hurry, because supply is limited.

yggdrasill said:
You can buy Nintendo component cables straight from Nintendo by calling their store. I just bought cables from them in March over the phone. Hurry, because supply is limited.

It's been stated multiple times in this thread that Nintendo is out. I said I called them in the OP.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just let this end... it's too depressing... (I don't have them either)

You'll never find them without paying through the nose. Play Cube games on Wii for your progressive scan fix.

cvxfreak

Well, if you have a friend in Japan, you can always try Amazon Japan. They have them in stock but their gaming section usually only ships to Japan with the exception of game-related books.

are you kidding me? i bought these two years ago and had no idea they were worth so much. they have been sitting in storage but they will be up on ebay tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

OldJadedGamer said:
are you kidding me? i bought these two years ago and had no idea they were worth so much. they have been sitting in storage but they will be up on ebay tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Way to be an asshole. I'd pay a reasonable price for them, but it seems the people who have them would rather price gouge the hell out of people.

Top Bottom