• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube Component Cables

aoi tsuki said:
Viva la capitalism!

Well, it's pretty stupid to come into a thread where people are trying to find these cables at sane prices and say, "Hey fuckers! I never use these cables, they're just collecting dust. Oh, you're looking for a good price? Fuck you and have fun with your shitty inputs."

With my PAL Gamecube, would I be able to get any output with component cables? I don't need 480p, I just need a 60hz signal coming out, because I want to put it on my PC monitor, and composite looks like shit. So I'll use a VGA box if possible.

Asskicker064 said:
Well, it's pretty stupid to come into a thread where people are trying to find these cables at sane prices and say, "Hey fuckers! I never use these cables, they're just collecting dust. Oh, you're looking for a good price? Fuck you and have fun with your shitty inputs."

While normally I would agree with you, I have a $1200 vet bill to pay off for our sick cat. I wasn't posting to be an asshole, but stoked that I had something that was worth more cash then I thought.

Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

lyre

Meier said:
I've got a TV with component output that isnt HD. What's there to not understand? I just didnt see much of a difference versus going back to the Composite ones with Pikmin 2, but maybe I need to play a different game to see a huge difference (I'd been using them for awhile, but when I got a 360 I replaced them with the old ones and plugged the 360 in).

On my small Toshiba flatscreen with component in, the IQ is so much cleaner, it's almost like a portable system's IQ. Just playing Megaman Anniversary collection will show you this. And everything else looks so much cleaner compared to AV (skipped S-video completely for GC though that's being used for the N64).

Meier

Do they only work when you turn on progressive scan then? When I did that, the screen stopped being viewable an was just horizontal squiggly lines... do I need to adjust a setting or something possibly? I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding TV stuff.

Meier said:
Do they only work when you turn on progressive scan then? When I did that, the screen stopped being viewable an was just horizontal squiggly lines... do I need to adjust a setting or something possibly? I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding TV stuff.

It'll depend on your TV. My TV looks FAB with it, and SVHS is a VERY NOTICEABLE degrade in quality.

lyre

Megaman Anniversary Collection doesn't support 480p, so there's no point in changing it to progressive scan (if you even can with MMAC). Just using GCN's component cables make the game look so much clearer and crisper compared to other connections. Afterall, better connection, better quality.

Though are you using the GCN component cables that plug into the D-terminal or component cables that plug into the generic A/V slot (if there is one)? Or it could just be your settings (afterall Pikmin 2 is a pretty bright game) so try that. Or get better eyes. :p

And for pure eye candy, go to a Best Buy or Circuit City (or any store with HD TVs), ask a sales associate if you can bring your GC to test out one of their TVs (a good one that supports 480p especially). Hook it up, put in F-Zero GX, enable progressive scan mode and prepare for pure eye sex.

Meier

I guess I'll try it with F-Zero then when I get home from work and then with the regular/composite AV cables and see if I notice the difference. I've just always used composite my whole life until I got that TV when my last went bust and saw it had component input, so I bought the cables to go with it.

I dont think my TV allows for progressive scan and what's why the picture got distorted when I tried to turn it on when Pikmin 2 prompted me.

Asskicker064 said:
Does anyone know where I can get these, or might be willing to part with theirs? I've called Nintendo and they no longer sell them, and will not be receiving any more shipments. I checked Ebay and they go for $60 - $90. Fuck that. EB Games and the Gamestops I've checked do not carry them. As far as I know, third parties never made cables for GameCube. Any ideas or other places I can check?

Before you buy, make sure to check that your machine actually supports the component output. As I recall, the later batches of GCs did not.

Meier said:
I guess I'll try it with F-Zero then when I get home from work and then with the regular/composite AV cables and see if I notice the difference. I've just always used composite my whole life until I got that TV when my last went bust and saw it had component input, so I bought the cables to go with it.

I dont think my TV allows for progressive scan and what's why the picture got distorted when I tried to turn it on when Pikmin 2 prompted me.

Best games to notice a huge difference are 2D. Paper Mario and MM Collection it will be like night and day.

My TV doesn't do proscan either. But if you wanted my component cables, you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. The picture quality is astounding compared to GC's SVHS output.

Tyrael

Composite
soulacomposto.jpg

S-Video
soul-sva.jpg

Composite
comp2.jpg

S-Video
sv2.jpg

Composite
comp4.jpg

S-Video
sv4.jpg

Sorry, but i don't have shots of the games running trough a component cable, but you can expect a even better image quality, but is not the leap from composite to s-video, unless your TV support progressive scan.

Component>>>S-Video>>>>>>>>>>>Composite

But, even if your TV don't have progressive scan, component vs composite is a huge diference.

CharlieDigital said:
Before you buy, make sure to check that your machine actually supports the component output. As I recall, the later batches of GCs did not.

Yeah, I made sure of that first. Sadly if it didn't, I could pick up a GameCube cheaper than the God damn cables. I found a guy who might be willing to trade some games for one, so here's hoping that pans out. If it doesn't, I'll just pick up some S-video cables for now.

StuKen

TheGreatDave said:
With my PAL Gamecube, would I be able to get any output with component cables? I don't need 480p, I just need a 60hz signal coming out, because I want to put it on my PC monitor, and composite looks like shit. So I'll use a VGA box if possible.

There are no issues using PAL cube games with the component cable. Obviously your cube must have the digital out port and no PAL games support pscan but the improvement in picture quality is worth it.

Zapp and Roger

More Bounce to the Ounce
Meier said:

Okay, let me help here. Just because you tv has component inputs does not mean it is progressive scan capable or 480p. You will ONLY display in 480i. That is the reason for the "Squiggles" when you try to enable progressive scan. The signal will be clearer than S-Video, but you will need a progressive scan capable HDTV to enable it. Read some of the other HDTV threads to learn more.

why did i think composite was better than s-video ho hum

I must get myself a gamecube rgb scart lead some time. I have a old digital av pal gamecube but no component using tv :p

Cdammen

digital_av_out.jpg

Took this photo of my PAL GameCube. The component cables attach to the port on the left that says DIGITAL AV OUT, right? I've lost my manual so I can't look it up, please help :)

Cdammen

Fuzzy said:
The left one is the digital port and it's the one for the component cables.
Thanks! And yeah, I meant left :)

*edits previous post*

But that's wierd... I thought that none of the PAL games supported 480p so why did we need the componenet out?

Anyway, I can play imports in 480p so no problems there!

We need the component out for people like me, who have non Progressive Scan TV's, but still have Component inputs.

Btw, i'm sure you could have figured out the plugs in the time it took to take that photo and post it on here!

jarosh

lancubap said:
WHAT ? Do you know how could I find this 'verdammt' Component Cable around Zürich ? Thanks a lot.
guess i should have mentioned that it was two years ago. i ordered it online from here www.alcom.ch. of course now they're out of stock.

NotMSRP

What is D-terminal? Which one should I get: component or D-terminal? Do not have an HDTV yet but this is looking far into the future. Right now, closest HDTV is my computer monitor, and the cables do not directly support VGA.

lancubap

jarosh said:
guess i should have mentioned that it was two years ago. i ordered it online from here www.alcom.ch. of course now they're out of stock.

Ok. Thanks. Can you explain me one thing ? I'm planning to buy a LCD or Plasma TV and a Dolby Surrond Pro Logic II Decoder.
If Wii will ship with Component Cable and Pro Logic II as standard, I should connect the 3 cables (red, green, blue) in the TV and the other 2 in the Decoder, right ?
But how it is posssible for Wii to support the Pro Logic II without optical output ?

I admit it: I'm confused.

I had some Logitech Z680's for a while and ran GCN with DPL2 for a while. I had it connected using an RCA > stereo miniplug apapter - so i'm guessing DPL2 doesn't need an optical/digital whatever connection.

One of these..
Adapter.jpg

Someone pls correct me if i'm wrong as i'm only going off experience and have little to no knowledge of how DPL2 works :)

You'll get more mileage out of the handset speaker probably, hence why i don't have the logitechs anymore... that and the fact that i'm not in a position to effectively hide the metre upon metre of speaker cabling they required!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Well that's one way to get Dpl2 is through plugging a stere source into something decodes signal like your Z680's, which I own as well. I noticed with SC3 and Burnout3 connected via optical that the speakers detect it and use it automatically depending on what you set in options.

jarosh

dpl2 doesn't need an optical/digital out because it's not actual 5.1. it's basically still a stereo signal which is decoded in a special way. i will not go into all the technical detail but if you want you can read some more about it here:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_II.html
http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/lisguidtodol1.html
http://www.axiomaudio.com/dolbyprologicII.html

also wikipedia has a nice short writeup about the original pro logic which should give you a better understanding about dpl2's origins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

ShutEye

D - terminal is the Japanese equivalent to Component inputs. My Japanese 360 came with D - terminal cables.

I've never seen a D - terminal connection on a North American TV, but I'm no expert. Component is the better bet if you live outside Japan I think.

lancubap

jarosh said:
dpl2 doesn't need an optical/digital out because it's not actual 5.1. it's basically still a stereo signal which is decoded in a special way. i will not go into all the technical detail but if you want you can read some more about it here:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_II.html
http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/lisguidtodol1.html
http://www.axiomaudio.com/dolbyprologicII.html

also wikipedia has a nice short writeup about the original pro logic which should give you a better understanding about dpl2's origins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

Thanks a lot. Now it is finally clear how Dolby Pro Logic II works. But let me say, that it is a trick to use the Stereo Sound to simulate a Surround Environment (Mafia).
Anyway, it sems that Pro Logic II is a good imitation of 5.1, almost as good as the true Dolby Surround.

lancubap

jarosh said:
lol what.

In the Dolby Laboratories Webpage, they say that Pro Logic II is a Sourrond Environment created with a Stereo Output. It is not a real Surround mode, but only a (very good) simulation of the same. I call this MAFIA. :lol

jarosh

yeah, well, that's what i said. but it has nothing to do with 'mafia'. nothing. (whatever you mean by that.) they say 'surround environment' for a reason.

lancubap said:
Thanks a lot. Now it is finally clear how Dolby Pro Logic II works. But let me say, that it is a trick to use the Stereo Sound to simulate a Surround Environment (Mafia).
Anyway, it sems that Pro Logic II is a good imitation of 5.1, almost as good as the true Dolby Surround.

No it isn't. Just no. Stop.

Leatherface

I'm having a problem with my cable I think. For some reason reds are showing up as muddy browns when I go through the component cables. Has anyone else bumped into this? Bad cords? I'm not sure how to fix this. =_(

Top Bottom