• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameFly: Game & Wario dated for June 30th in NA

serplux

That's...late. Guess Europe is even later.

I somehow have my doubts about that. Not that I'm complaining though - I already have quite the backlog on this thing.

There's no freaking way that The Wonderful 101/Wii Fit U/Pikmin 3 aren't done right now. And there's no way that localization would take that long for Game and Wario. They're delaying titles. And I'm okay with that, since I've got way too much to play on my 3DS.

Do not forget the Virtual Console launching on Wii U this month. Week after week they will pour out their catalogue one by one starting from the worst. Can't wait.

I'm semi-optimistic that we'll have a decent amount of titles at launch, actually. We'll get some decent titles out before long, the Wii and the 3DS VC's were pretty decent at that.

There's no freaking way that The Wonderful 101/Wii Fit U aren't done right now. And there's no way that localization would take that long for Game and Wario. They're delaying titles. And I'm okay with that, since I've got way too much to play on my 3DS.

I'm guessing it's Nintendo wanting to have a bombastic Q3 and Q4 lineup to
1. create Wii U momentum with multiple titles released every month starting in August,
2. combat the looming releases of Durango / PS4,
3. take advantage of the game industry's stronger months (August-December is healthier than January-July)

Honestly, I feel like Pokemon X/Y and Zelda 3DS will be the only other major Nintendo-published 3DS games this year----making the 2nd half of 2013 all about the Wii U.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You'd think they'd want to keep a consistent stream of releases going after launching Lego City at the end of March, but I guess they believe literally releasing nothing is a viable strategy for a struggling console.

why work on creating momentum if you're just going to lose it all during the next drought of games? Might as well wait till you can actually keep a steady stream of games going till the holidays.

The worst part, other than not being able to play TW101 in the near future, is having to once again endure the presentation of these games at E3.

I would be more annoyed by the delays, but honestly, between Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Need for Speed Most Wanted U, and LEGO City Undercover, I've got enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Do you think you'll feel the same in May? June? July? August?

serplux

1. create Wii U momentum,
3. take advantage of the game industry's stronger months (August-December is healthier than January-July)

Honestly, I feel like Pokemon X/Y and Zelda 3DS will be the only other major Nintendo-published 3DS games this year----making the 2nd half of 2013 all about the Wii U.

Didn't they say they'll have 10 first-party titles out for the 3DS this year? I think we're still missing a few games off that list. Kirby/Metroid 3DS is a good bet.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is really taking the piss. I get that they want to do a pseudo-relaunch after E3 but this game should already be out.

Sandfox

1. create Wii U momentum with multiple titles released every month starting in August,

We're probably going to get at least two more titles for the 3DS from Nintendo(one of which being Layton) towards the holidays.

TheNatural

My Member!
If Nintendo keeps delaying these basically finished games for months, it tells me they have gaps they know they can't fill up to the holidays, so I wouldn't expect more than one major franchise this holiday. Mario Kart or Mario 3D platformer may be it, and maybe the Yoshi game or another second tier type of game.

Didn't they say they'll have 10 first-party titles out for the 3DS this year? I think we're still missing a few games off that list. Kirby/Metroid 3DS is a good bet.

So far this year:

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. Brain Age: Concentration Training
3. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS
5. LEGO City Undercover 3DS
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
7. Mario & Luigi Dream Team
8. Mario Golf: World Tour
9. Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
10. Downloadable titles (HarmoKnight, Dillon's Rolling Western 2, etc.)
11. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Yeah.... Zelda 3DS and Pokemon X/Y has a very good chance of being the only other 3DS titles in North America for 2013. That's a LOT of 3DS support.

I bet we'll see HAL Laboratory's 3DS title and an outsourced (SPD produced?) Metroid title in 2014.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There's no freaking way that The Wonderful 101/Wii Fit U aren't done right now. And there's no way that localization would take that long for Game and Wario. They're delaying titles. And I'm okay with that, since I've got way too much to play on my 3DS.

Yup. They are gambling on basically ignoring the system until they can release a steady stream of games.

W10 and Pikmin will probably be late summer or Fall.

serplux

I bet we'll see HAL Laboratory's 3DS title and an outsourced (SPD produced?) Metroid title in 2014.

HAL hasn't had anything out since 2011 (lol, Kirby's 25th anniversary collection), and they're a really big studio. I'm sure that their title will come this holiday.

HAL hasn't had anything out since 2011 (lol, Kirby's 25th anniversary collection), and they're a really big studio. I'm sure that they're title will come this holiday.

Well, they're most definitely helping out Namco Bandai and Sora in trying to rush the production of Smash Bros. 3DS and Smash Bros. Wii U (to hit a late 2014 release probably).

I don't have any inside information about Nintendo, but I bet a lot of the studio is working on that, diverting resources away from their own projects.

hatchx

Banned
I'm pretty shocked it's taking that long to localize Game and Wario. How expensive/time-consuming is translating and localizing a game? I can understand something like Animal Crossing taking awhile, but not Game and Wario.

At the very least, I expect amazing things from both Pikmin 3 and W101 for their extra time in the over. If Nintendo can pull a PS2 with the Wii U (as in, the most incredibly Q3 and Q4 in 2001) they may have what it takes to combat the other consoles.

My guess for the rest of the year for the 1st parties:

June : Game and Wario + New Super Luigi DLC
July : Wonderful 101
August : Wii Fit U
September : Pikmin 3
October : Wind Waker HD
November : Mario Kart or something
December : Nothing

2014 (yeah I'm taking it a step further)

Jan : nothing
Feb : Yoshi Land (it looks way too early to be this year)
Mar : nothing
April : Bayonetta 2
- nothing all summer -

holiday 2014 - 3D Mario or something

The real guesser is Retro studios. What the hell are they working on for 3-4 years, and when can we expect it? If they can pull a Wind Waker, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart + Retro game this holiday, things ain't lookin' so bad.

If Nintendo keeps delaying these basically finished games for months, it tells me they have gaps they know they can't fill up to the holidays, so I wouldn't expect more than one major franchise this holiday. Mario Kart or Mario 3D platformer may be it, and maybe the Yoshi game or another second tier type of game.

I think you have the wrong idea. These games are not done, and Nintendo is having their HD development struggles/regula delays. I don't think either of these games are ready whatsoever. With that said, longer development time can only be a good thing. I'd rather a longer, prettier Pikmin 3 with multiplayer in September than a short, single-player, decent Pikmin in May. I can't be alone on that thinking.

Bruno MB

Over 7 months to release the first Wii U Nintendo developed title after launch, not bad.

There's no freaking way that The Wonderful 101/Wii Fit U/Pikmin 3 aren't done right now. And there's no way that localization would take that long for Game and Wario. They're delaying titles. And I'm okay with that, since I've got way too much to play on my 3DS.

I'm semi-optimistic that we'll have a decent amount of titles at launch, actually. We'll get some decent titles out before long, the Wii and the 3DS VC's were pretty decent at that.

I'm ok with that too since I don't have the system.

Sandfox

I'm pretty shocked it's taking that long to localize Game and Wario. How expensive/time-consuming is translating and localizing a game? I can understand something like Animal Crossing taking awhile, but not Game and Wario.

They're probably holding the game back.

Over 7 months to release the first Wii U Nintendo developed title after launch, not bad.

You're forgetting about Lego(and MH if you really want to count it) lol

serplux

Well, they're most definitely helping out Namco Bandai and Sora in trying to rush the production of Smash Bros. 3DS and Smash Bros. Wii U (to hit a late 2014 release probably).

I don't have any inside information about Nintendo, but I bet a lot of the studio is working on that, diverting resources away from their own projects.

Still, a 3DS game does not take up that many time/effort. They have a good deal over 100 employees! I doubt that there they're diverting that many resources to Smash Bros.

I'm ok with that too since I don't have the system.

Okay...?

I think you have the wrong idea. These games are not done, and Nintendo is having their HD development struggles/regula delays. I don't think either of these games are ready whatsoever. With that said, longer development time can only be a good thing. I'd rather a longer, prettier Pikmin 3 with multiplayer in September than a short, single-player, decent Pikmin in May. I can't be alone on that thinking.

The Wonderful 101 is being done by Platinum. Platinum! They don't struggle with HD development.

hatchx

Banned

I really don't think they are holding Pikmin 3 and W101 back to fill release schedules. The Wii U is selling 60k a month in NA and about the same in Japan. It desperately needs titles. There's no way they are just sitting on these finished games thinking 'oh we'll use them to fill our late summer/fall schedule'.

If anything, they saw a gap in their late summer/fall schedule and are continuing to improve the games, but I highly doubt they are both finished and good to go.

The Wonderful 101 is being done by Platinum. Platinum! They don't struggle with HD development.

True, but I don't think they ever really intended this to be a launch window game. Reggie said it very sheepishly and Kayima even said 'it's done when it's done'. I have a feeling the game will blow us away, but we'll still need to wait another 4-6 months to get it.

Somnid

Yup. They are gambling on basically ignoring the system until they can release a steady stream of games.

W10 and Pikmin will probably be late summer or Fall.

I think it's more than that. I think Iwata's strategy is to hold on to every piece of ammunition they have and polish the crap out of it as any release puts that team back into a 2 year dev loop and they won't get a second chance.

I also get the feeling Wii Fit U is being re-evaluated.

But some titles are slipping out of this year, without even accounting for 3rd parties and 3DS breathing room Nintendo can't launch everything they have lined up.

Sandfox

I really don't think they are holding Pikmin 3 and W101 back to fill release schedules. The Wii U is selling 60k a month in NA and about the same in Japan. It desperately needs titles. There's no way they are just sitting on these finished games thinking 'oh we'll use them to fill our late summer/fall schedule'.

If anything, they saw a gap in their late summer/fall schedule and are continuing to improve the games, but I highly doubt they are both finished and good to go.

I don't think they're holding Pikmin and W101(which could still come out in May or June) but I think they are holding G&W back.

Oh my fucking God. They have nothing to translate. :/

January: Nothing
February: Nothing
March: Lego City Undercover
April: Nothing
May: Nothing
June: Game & Wario

Dat impressive launch window.

TheNatural

My Member!

At the very least, I expect amazing things from both Pikmin 3 and W101 for their extra time in the over. If Nintendo can pull a PS2 with the Wii U (as in, the most incredibly Q3 and Q4 in 2001) they may have what it takes to combat the other consoles.

My guess for the rest of the year for the 1st parties:

June : Game and Wario + New Super Luigi DLC
July : Wonderful 101
August : Wii Fit U
September : Pikmin 3
October : Wind Waker HD
November : Mario Kart or something
December : Nothing

2014 (yeah I'm taking it a step further)

Jan : nothing
Feb : Yoshi Land (it looks way too early to be this year)
Mar : nothing
April : Bayonetta 2
- nothing all summer -

holiday 2014 - 3D Mario or something

The real guesser is Retro studios. What the hell are they working on for 3-4 years, and when can we expect it? If they can pull a Wind Waker, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart + Retro game this holiday, things ain't lookin' so bad.

You're pretty much alone on that thinking for a game that's toiled in development for years is going to have that wide of a difference in quality over 4 months.

Whether they're delaying it on purpose, or it's still toiling in perpetual development, either one is a failure on Nintendo's part. There's no reason why the console side of Nintendo should be this barren for years. It's incredible how few games they release. Every month without games is another month of horrible Wii U sales.

You're forgetting about Lego(and MH if you really want to count it) lol

Yep. Lego City Undercover (and its 3DS prequel) is an original Nintendo of America project funded at least partially by Nintendo Co., Ltd. in collaboration with Nintendo of Europe, TT Games Publishing, TT Fusion, SIDE London, Cubic Motion, LEGO Company, WB Games, Inc., and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, with Nintendo EAD and SPD unofficially helping out here and there.

It is a Nintendo 1st-party game.

Monster Hunter (like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) was just distributed + marketed by Nintendo in various territories. Nintendo had nothing to do with its production.

hatchx

Banned
I don't think they're holding Pikmin and W101(which could still come out in May or June) but I think they are holding G&W back.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Who knows I guess. Isn't the Wii U VC supposed to launch this month? and we still have no clue when the NSMB Luigi DLC is coming.

You're pretty much alone on that thinking for a game that's toiled in development for years is going to have that wide of a difference in quality over 4 months.

Whether they're delaying it on purpose, or it's still toiling in perpetual development, either one is a failure on Nintendo's part. There's no reason why the console side of Nintendo should be this barren for years. It's incredible how few games they release. Every month without games is another month of horrible Wii U sales.

I don't know as much about game development as others on here, but isn't the last few months where games get polished, extra little modes get added, and all the bugs get ironed out?

I always assumed Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus: Uprising were delayed to Q1 on 3DS to include multiplayer.

schuelma

Who knows I guess. Isn't the Wii U VC supposed to launch this month? and we still have no clue when the NSMB Luigi DLC is coming.

We have no clue about anything Wii U related, aside from retailer leaks and 3rd party announcements.

Since the January Nintendo Direct Nintendo has literally ignored the system and focused entirely on 3DS.

serplux

Oh my fucking God. They have nothing to translate. :/

January: Nothing
March: Lego City Undercover
June: Game & Wario

Dat impressive launch window.

Comparison time!

Gamecube

January: NBA Courtside 2002
March: Nothing
June: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem

popeutlal

So as of June 30th, Nintendo will have released 2 mini game collections and a Mario game they've already released 3 previous times for Wii U.

They sure did put a lot of faith in 3rd parties - as shown by their lack of preparation.

NotLiquid

Why June 30? I thought US releases games normally on Tuesdays, and G&W doesn't seem like that significant of a release for a weekend launch.

hatchx

Banned
Comparison time!

Gamecube

January: NBA Courtside 2002
March: Nothing
April: the godly, unforgettable Resident Evil REmake
June: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem

Fixed. But yeah. Atleast they had a holiday with Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, and RE:0.

Sandfox

Oh yeah, for sure.

We have no clue about anything Wii U related, aside from retailer leaks and 3rd party announcements.

Since the January Nintendo Direct Nintendo has literally ignored the system and focused entirely on 3DS.

VC is coming with/right after the patch this month and Luigi(which we learned about in the last week of Feburary) isn't dated yet but I would expect it to be Q3/Q4.

GRW810

Wow that's late, and even worse if it still hits shelves before Pikmin 3 and W101. Nintendo should have done everything they could to make sure those three games, or at least two of the three, were out by now.

serplux

Fixed. But yeah. Atleast they had a holiday with Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, and RE:0.

We talking 'bout first-party releases here boy. Otherwise you should've added Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to the Wii U release schedule.

Effect

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and whatever major game comes out in the summer or after had better be damn near perfect. Requiring no patches at all. This gap I feel has likely opened them up to be scrutinized like never before. If Pikmin 3 does not have a significant amount of content (not talking about multiplayer but that would help) and comes off feeling like a GameCube/Wii designed game with just prettier graphics after this wait I will not be surprised at all to see it hit left and right and racked over the coals in reviews and Nintendo would deserve it.

I hope some of you guys are seriously not hoping for Pikmin before Fall.

Pikmin is Miyamato's new Super Mario franchise. His final legacy IP. There's no way he's going to send the game out to die in Summer, Wii-U drought be damned. The game will come Fall at the earliest.

Ridley327

We talking 'bout first-party releases here boy. Otherwise you should've added Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to the Wii U release schedule.

That would be more of a first-party release than REmake, as Nintendo is actually hosting the servers for MH3U.

But yeah, I can't believe they are actually looking to pad the crap out of the second year as opposed to make small steps in turning around the public perception of the system now. This is absolutely aggravating to watch unfold.

schuelma

That would be more of a first-party release than REmake, as Nintendo is actually hosting the servers for MH3U.

But yeah, I can't believe they are actually looking to pad the crap out of the second year as opposed to make small steps in turning around the public perception of the system now. This is absolutely aggravating to watch unfold.

It really is. My only thought is maybe they have a 3DS-style price cut in store for the summer. Otherwise, putting out LEGO in March with Monster Hunter and then literally not releasing anything of note for months is just insane.

Top Bottom