• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass missed out on many popular games in 2023

Do you happy with your Gamepass sub?

• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
List includes;

Baldurs Gate 3
Alan Wake 2
Resident Evil 4
Street Fighter 6
Armored Core
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Hogwarts Legacy
Mortal Kombat 1

Turbo Overkill
Octopath Traveller 2
Pizza Tower
Dave the Diver
Blasphemous 2

Even two major games(COD and Diablo 4) from the company they acquired haven't been brought in yet. I'm not counting Nintendo and PS exclusive games obviously(it has only 1 game--Against the Storm-- from the best games of 2023 Metacritic list).

Would you prefer Gamepass to pursue a more aggressive strategy or are you satisfied with the current state?

PS: I didn't mention PS plus because they are not promoting their service around "day one" hype. And I must add, I think Gamepass is far better than PS plus at this point(because I'm biased as a Pc gamer)

Last edited:

Interfectum

How Dare You Reaction GIF by Bounce

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Xbox did great this year getting some third party titles "day one", but I don't think anyone reasonably expects big games like you have listed here to arrive on the service immediately. I'm happy with the selection for what it is.

acm2000

i mean thats not what game pass is about, its about day and date launches for first party and indies with the smattering of third party AA titles in there too.

i feel like this is a subtle troll thread as no one can be this stupid to assume all the big third party games would come to game pass straight away.

Last edited:

nowhat

List includes;

Baldurs Gate 3
Alan Wake 2
Resident Evil 4
Street Fighter 6
Armored Core
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Hogwarts Legacy
Mortal Kombat 1
All of these were projected to do really well, and all of them did (well, the jury is still out on Alan Wake 2 - a critical darling for sure, but the sales are questionable at this point). So, why would the studios/publishers want to make those games available on GP? Microsoft offered $5M for Baldur's Gate 3. It would have been idiotic for Larian to take that deal, even if no one knew what kind of hit it would become.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
i mean thats not what game pass is about, its about day and date launches for first party and indies with the smattering of third party AA titles in there too
Netflix or Amazon allows us to watch a plethora of latest big releases. Wasn't Gamepass designed to be such a service for the gaming industry? Shouldn't it be chasing bigger budget projects for that?(maybe with the help of more expensive sub tiers)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS: I didn't mention PS plus because they are not promoting their service around "day one" hype. And I must add, I think Gamepass is far better than PS plus at this point(because I'm biased as a Pc gamer)
MS never promoted GP to be third party day one bangers either. It was always about first party day one, random lower budget day one third party games and then whatever other third party games get added later.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Netflix or Amazon allows us to watch a plethora of latest big releases. Wasn't Gamepass designed to be such a service for the gaming industry? Shouldn't it be chasing bigger budget projects for that?
No. I got sold on Gamepass in 2021 when I saw Aragami 2 announced day 1, a low budget AA game. This is Gamepass offering:
  • All 1st party day 1
  • Many indies day 1
  • Some AA day 1
  • A small handful of larger 3rd party publisher games day 1 a few times a year, rarely. These are $50-70 games. Ex: Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Remnant 2, Exoprimal, Lies of P, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Persona Tactica, The Show.
  • And that's just the day 1 stuff. There's lots more that's not day 1.
That's the offering. They crushed it this year, especially since this year was a bit lighter on indies than last year when it was just non-stop blowout of top tier indies (Immortality, Citizen Sleeper, Tinykin, and on and on). We still got gems like Cocoon, Jusant and tons of others.

I'm a fan of their curation so far. They're picking winners early, well before reviews, and many of them are obscure until they hit GP. So I feel they have people in place making really great calls for the last several years. Totally satisfied. Haven't come close to playing everything that's come out yet that I want to.

And for the record, Jedi Survivor is coming to GP as well as Immortals and all EA games. Also Dave the Diver, Pizza Tower and Octopath 2 aren't even on Xbox yet and I wouldn't be shocked if some hit GP. Have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Isn’t this the case every year?

Usually takes a while post release before they come to GamePass, or any service for that matter.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
MS never promoted GP to be third party day one bangers either. It was always about first party day one, random lower budget day one third party games and then whatever other third party games get added later.

No. I got sold on Gamepass in 2021 when I saw Aragami 2 announced day 1, a low budget AA game. This is Gamepass offering:
  • All 1st party day 1
  • Many indies day 1
  • Some AA day 1
  • A small handful of larger 3rd party publisher games day 1 a few times a year, rarely. These are $50-70 games. Ex: Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Remnant 2, Exoprimal, Lies of P, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Persona Tactica, The Show.
    • And that's just the day 1 stuff. There's lots more that's not day 1.
I understand the service's content, but it doesn't feel like a crazy deal as it used to, especially after spending some time within the service. I think PlayStation's move has also diminished Gamepass's impact. If things continue like this, I might just renew with occasional monthly subscriptions after my membership expires.

acm2000

Netflix or Amazon allows us to watch a plethora of latest big releases. Wasn't Gamepass designed to be such a service for the gaming industry? Shouldn't it be chasing bigger budget projects for that?(maybe with the help of more expensive sub tiers)
what big releases do they have at launch that arent funded by them exactly? there was a slew of movies that fell victim to covid but thats it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I understand the service's content, but it doesn't feel like a crazy deal as it used to, especially after spending some time within the service. I think PlayStation's move has also diminished Gamepass's impact. If things continue like this, I might just renew with occasional monthly subscriptions after my membership expires.
That's totally fine. Literally the thing least likely is big 3rd party publisher games. Those are going to be the most expensive thing. That's not really what the service focuses on. It's 1st party, indies, and AA primarily.

Even then, we still get a few. I'm psyched for that weird looking Capcom game next year.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
what big releases do they have at launch that arent funded by them exactly? there was a slew of movies that fell victim to covid but thats it.
They draw people into their service easily because they handle their first-party titles well. The arrival of Call of Duty(or WOW?) could have a similar impact on players but they need more games like that.

Crayon

Yeah idk bout all that. It's a sub and those are some of the most notable games of the year. Saying it "missed" those games is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom